Attention All Colorado Paintballers! Fields
Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:42 PM
I just have a few questions to ask:
If you could get a new field, what are would you like it to be in? Obviously right next to your house, but would you like one in an area like lets say, Douglas County?
Would you prefer a new indoor or outdoor field?
How many people do you know that would like to see a new field open up?
What kind of things would you like to see at a new field?
If I could get some replies that would help a lot.
Thanks for the feedback in advance!
Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:47 PM
I personally think there should be both indoor and outdoor. Outdoor for scenario, of course. Indoor, naturally for speedball. That way when it snows, people could at least still play speedball.
To be honest I don't know too many people at all here who play paintball. I don't know too many people here (although I'm sure once word gets around that a paintball field is being built in Douglas County, a lot of people would come and try it out), but since pretty much the other two spots in the state that have people living in them, Denver and Springs, they both have fields closer to them.
Things I'd like to see:
- a better policy. Kinda hard to explain this one... but I'm talking about things like... an actual orientation session complete with examples for first timers (not just a "safety speech"), safety checks (bags on before leaving, guns off/degassed, etc), generally just things to be run a little more "officially"
- indoor plumbing, water fountains, sinks
- Designated refs, designated rental/equipment "guy", and so forth.
- No self airing. Dynamic got it right, have the staff fill up the tanks. I've seen players that are BARELY capable of keeping their mask on, I'd hate to think how they'd fair with an air station
- Close access to a restaurant or food source of some kind (within a 10 minute drive) (again, what I'd LIKE to see, not expecting it)
- More refs on the field during play. Sorry Dynamic, but one or two guys simply can't see everything.
- Pro-shop. You never know when there'll be a guy after playing a single game with a rental 98 or vibe, and say "Shit this is fun, give me that one there! That one that says Ego 11! I want it right NOW!"
- No shake n' shit loaders. I see too many kids get somewhat discouraged next to me going 12bps, and they have to shake after each shot. I'm not too familiar with all the loaders out there, but I'm sure there's a fairly cheap electric hopper. The field could charge more for the rental package, I don't care.
- Membership benefits: discounts on paint and proshop stuff, free fill-ups (should the field charge for that), maybe a cheap headband that would work as well as the card (card for the shop, headband for fill-ups and such) that has a cool design on it and could perhaps entice people to become members as well.
- Perks for people that have their own shit. Only have to listen to the safety orientation for their first visit (rentals would have to sit through it every time), free fill-ups..... that's all I can think of right now (forgive me, but I just got back from playing and was shot many times in the head)
- A paved parking lot (*looks at Dynamic*)
- Field paint only (but a choice in paints, ranging from really crappy to excellent)
that's all I can think of right now.
Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:48 PM
I certainly agree with the indoor plumbing, water fountain, and sinks request. Too many times have I been to a field and found nothing but a shitty bathroom or a port-a-potty. It would be extremely convenient to get something like that.
I don't entirely agree with the whole airing yourself though. For more experienced players it helps spur games along much quicker. Yeah, it's technically "safer" but I have found myself just standing at Dynamic waiting to get aired for two minutes when I could have pushed the damn button myself. Definitely for younger and less experienced players it is much safer and easier on them.
Paved parking lot would be a really hard one to come by. Especially with an outdoor field. Land itself costs close to a mill in DoCo, so that might be a convenience to go without.
Memberships are extremely easy to do, just look at APC, they've had that for years. That's definitely something to look into.
Orientation speech? Sure, Blitz does it all the time. First time at the field or haven't been that year? You get an orientation speech. It makes the game feel safer in my opinion.
A pro shop would be nice, and I'm not talking a Blitz or APC one either. A fully fledged Dynamic like shop would be awesome too to me. Very helpful.
I dunno, there are a lot of good things to look into. Thanks for all the insight. It would be better to know the demographics of the Parker area to see how much people are interested in paintball in that area. But I mean there are at least four high schools and quite a large population. Thanks again though!
Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:36 PM
But are you.... *hands start flapping wildly and makes girl whimpers* considering opening a field in Douglas County?????
It could be a somewhat small operation like Dynamic, depending on the size of the lot... I've drawn up just a very quick and very rough idea of what I'm imagining... of course, this is by far not the ideal arrangement... nor is it even to proper scale... but I'm just trying to illustrate how at least I would want things organized
and that's a fence or something there between the scenario field and the parking lot... to reduce any possibilities of people perhaps sneaking their own paint on, or more importantly, walking off having stolen someone else's marker! There would be only one way into the field, and one way out, and I'm sure there could be some kind of "hey, that's not the gun you came in here with" system or something like that
This post has been edited by Jalen: 07 March 2011 - 01:39 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:47 PM
For this to be a possibility though, we would like to find the demographics, which are very hard to find. Again, nothing is absolutely for certain but we have been working on this for a little while and there is a chance we could open a field.
I quite like your ideas, my buisness partners and I have almost the exact same plan as you, indoor/outdoor, 2-4 speedball with a sizable scenario field out back. We'll take into account all of the ideas you had for sure. It is always nice to get third party feedback!
Thanks for the replies!
Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:41 PM