• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tr3b0r

tr3b0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

*Originally posted this on the 'Nation but thought a repost here might generate a more scientific reponse*

Has anyone run experiments or noticed a correlation to the space between the back of the barrel and breech with accuracy/breaks.

The reason why I'm asking is that, a couple months ago, I had a problem with my old scepter kit unscrewing mid-tournament. So, I put an o-ring on the back and cranked it down. Sure enough, it stopped unscrewing but I had a bad barrel break the next game (less than 100 shots in). So, afterwards, I took out my Dye UL .684 (no chops or breaks, ever) and put an o-ring on it. Next match, bad barrel break. We had a small rest so I cleaned the scepter, put in a larger bore (I have always underbored with fantastic results) and it still broke. Unfortunately, it was the end of the day so I didn't really get to put it through any more paces.

But, I noticed, when I was breaking down my marker, that both barrels had a noticable gap (easily fit a fingernail in) between where the barrel ends and the breech now. Before, you could feel the difference between barrel and breech but it was very minute. Take the o-ring off and it sits further into the breech.

Now, another twist is that I was comparing my DM6/Rapper/Mini and noticed that whatever barrel I installed into the Mini had that noticable space without any o-ring. So far, I've tried Dye UL's, CP, SP AA, Lucky and a Redz. I actually think if there were just a tad bit of material milled off the front of the Mini, it would fix this. That is, if it needs fixing.

Just wondering if this small gap could snag the seam of a paintball or cause it to "bounce" into the barrel as it's pushed passed the detents.

I tried to snap photos to show what I mean but getting pics inside breech is a pain. But here goes:

First - Mini: Noticeable gap and you can even see the red outer sleeve of the Un1tech back

Posted Image

Second - Rapper: No red is showing and it's smooth from barrel to breech. Couldn't get a better pic.

Posted Image

Third - DM6: Hard to notice the red sleeve with the dust red body but there didn't appear to be any showing. Smooth as well.

Posted Image

#2 Tucan9999

Tucan9999

You never go ass to mouth!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

I heard that with the first gen minis and the limited edition ones you are suppoesed to use the Stock barrel. I dont know what yours is but that might help.
TIMMY MILITIA Cause its the only club with MUTHA FUCKIN SNAKES
Mod App

#3 tr3b0r

tr3b0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

Even the stock barrel on the Mini has the gap I'm talking about. Except, with the stock barrel there is a bit of tapering so paint will funnel into the barrel. I'll get some pics when I get home from work.

This isn't so much a "what is wrong with my Mini" thread as a "would putting an o-ring on your barrel increase your breaks" and ideas along those lines.

#4 Snipez4664

Snipez4664

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

Even the stock barrel on the Mini has the gap I'm talking about. Except, with the stock barrel there is a bit of tapering so paint will funnel into the barrel. I'll get some pics when I get home from work.

This isn't so much a "what is wrong with my Mini" thread as a "would putting an o-ring on your barrel increase your breaks" and ideas along those lines.

I definitely believe it could.
Posted Image

This post brought to you by: Lurker
Owner/Operator/Lead Engineer - Lurker Paintball
Check out our products at Lurker Paintball

#5 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

i think this defiantly falls into the lines of "loading fracture" and the way they can cause barrel breaks. if your breach design has any kind of protrusions or edges to hook a ball, in the 100,000 cycles the gun will make in its lifetime, it will happen. and it will probably cause a barrel break.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users