20 replies to this topic

#1 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

This is just going to be a quick blurb about 50 cal. I'm not trying to sell it, I do not care if you try 50 cal or not. I'm not endorsing it, I'm not trying to sell it. I personally think it's a fun alternative (yes, I said ALTERNATIVE) to 68, but it's a rather expensive investment to make to get started.

Pros and Cons-

Pros of using 50 Caliber-
Gun is quieter
Gun is about twice as air effecient (your gun will go pod for pod in terms of effeciency)
Lighter setup (one pod of 50 cal holds about twice as many rounds than one pods of 68)
Slightly cheaper

Cons of using 50 caliber-
Smaller hit marks
you get about 2/3rds the effective range of 68 cal
opponents are less likely to feel the hits
Expensive initial investment
No standards currently set, most setups will need slight modification
Paint is hard to find, most likely will need to be ordered
More likely to bounce on opponents if care is not taken to keep paint relatively cool. You may need to store paint in a cooler
No Apex / Flatline / Backspin barrel available
Questions about whether tournaments or scenario games will allow it yet
Field Paint Only fields may require some advance planning (special order) to use it at a FPO field

In what situations do I think 50 cal could possibly show some potential and promise
Suppressive fire in scenario games
3 man indoor field
super-aggressive players who would like a lighter, smaller setup
renegade ball (quieter guns, less range, less damage to environment, twice the effeciency, less likely for people to call the cops)
front players in XBall wanting a smaller, lighter setup
rental groups - this is where I think 50 caliber will truly shine, due to the smaller welt and less pain.

In what situations would I recommend staying away from 50 caliber-

Already setup with 68 and on a budget
Passive, conservative players
"Longballers" who like to sit in the back and aim up at a 45 degree angle
Back players who typically lane off break
Players who aren't aggressive, and rely on the distance that 68 offers to get eliminations

50 Caliber Myth Busting-
Same range as 68 caliber - false
Just as accurate as 68 caliber - within the effective range of 50 caliber, this is true. Beyond the effective range of 50, not true.
Cheaper than 68 - excluding the initial investment, yes it is cheaper
Does it hurt more than 68? Absolutely not, 50 caliber paint hurts alot LESS than 68.

50 Cal Loader Options (listed from best to worst)-
Kingman Rapid - easily the best 50 Cal loader on the market. At only $50, this loader is a screaming value. Based on the same proven design as the Pinokio, it holds 350 balls, uses one 9V, feeds a constant 15bps, and is one of the lightest loaders on the market
GI Milsim Agitator - not recommended, too expensive for a 50 cal revy
GI Milsim Gravity Feed - not recommended
50 Cal Pinokio - not recommend, requires the modification of the prop, and the use of a hacksawed, Sport Shot Multi-Caliber Hopper feedneck adapter

50 Cal Gun Choices (listed from best to worst)

Planet Eclipse 50 Cal Kit (on any Planet Eclipse Poppet Gun, such as etek, ego, SL, etc) - by far the absolute best 50 cal setup right now on the market, is the 50 Cal Conversion Kit by Planet Eclipse. From my testing, this was a proven performer on the field. It works perfectly, it's accurate, quiet, smooth and shoots amazing. The Planet Eclipse conversion kit, dropped into ANY Ego/Etek/SL is the the best way to go. It uses the standard 1" ID feedneck, so you can use everything from a Kingman Rapid (with Hacksaw VL-200 Feedneck adapter) to a mod'd Pinokio. Don't even second guess it, if you are looking for the absolute best performing 50 cal guns on the market, this is the way to go. I just wish they included the Bolt Pin, so you didn't have to buy it seperetely

Kingman - the most inexpensive markers to go with for 50 Cal. Cheap, works good, same stack-tubed blowback markers you've always known. But no barrel choices with the Kingman guns, this sucks if you are looking for a longer barrel than the standard 11" ones they come with

GI Milsim - non-existent customer service. If you have a problem with a GI Milsim product, you might be on your own. Retails have nothing but negative things to say about trying to order things from GI Milsim. They have zero repair centers in the US, so buyer beware. My initial experience with the markers was not a very pleasant one. Detents appear to not go into the breech far enough, and I was double feeding and chopping all day long. With no phone number or contact email, I had to put in my information into their website, and I got a message saying they hope to respond within 5 days. These guns have amazing potential, but with no support, buyer beware. The Micro50 does show promise, as well does the Nano50, but until this company gets better established, buyer beware

Various - Yes, there are some other various 50 cal guns out there, from that piece of shit gumball shooter, some old 50 cal WGP Guns, and some blowguns use 50 cal also, which you can use in place of the 50 cal darts.

Paint-

KEE Action Sports / Diablo Formula 13 - probably some of the easiest to get, and best performing paint on the market right now. If you are looking for consistent performance, go with Formula 13 paint. You get 4000 rounds per box, and it runs around $60. If you want the 50 Cal Formula 13 paint to perform well, store in the refridgerator for a couple days before you use it, fill your pods and put it in a cooler with some of those reusable ice packs. As long as this paint is kept below 70 degrees, it breaks EXTREMELY well. Once it gets warm, it's bounce city.

Kingman - first batches of Kingman paint had problems with either the shells being too thick and not breaking, or too thin and showing up as mush in the box.

GI Milsim Paint - the fill that was debuted at World Cup was a special run of Ultra Evil fill. I have not tested this paint, it's impossible to get here in the US, so this product's performance is unknown.

Currently the best setup for 50 cal-

Gun- Any Planet Eclipse Poppet gun with the 50 cal conversion kit installed
Loader - Kingman Rapid with Hacksaw VL-200 feedneck mod
Paint - Cool Formula 13 Paint

Hope this helps

#2 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

reserved

#3 JBaller

JBaller

SCP Edge

• Banned
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

First After Mike!!

I think 50 cal wont be that bad after all

#4 aj619

aj619

Yes I am not very creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

looks like a good option for me .68 is way to expensive for me right now

aj.png

I don't give a shit about the forums.

#5 Nick A

Nick A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for this Mike, helpful. Might need to be updated often though as new things come out.

#6 ILOVESLG

ILOVESLG

Dakota25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

How hard is it to make the pinokio mod and will we be able to send the loader to you and you can mod it for a price. (if you have time)
Posted Image

XBL: TimmyP 48

#7 Markdee

Markdee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

You should call Valken Sports. Maybe they can help with the G.I.Milsim Products....

G.I. Milsim is proud to announce they have reached an agreement with Valken Sports for distribution of G.I. Milsim branded paintball products in the United States.

Richmond Italia, President of G.I. Milsim said, “Valken has set the bar even higher and with their new and innovative products, exceptional customer service and amazing distribution network, G.I. Milsim is proud to have Valken distribute our full line of equipment throughout the U.S.”. “My long-standing relationship with Valken President and CEO, Gino Postorivo and his ability to continually stun the paintball industry with steadfast loyalty and dedication at all levels is just what G.I Milsim is looking for in a distributor”, added Italia.

Valken President and CEO, Gino Postorivo stated, “We are extremely impressed with G.I Milsim’s exceptional quality, marketing strategy, production capability and rapport within the paintball community”. “Valken looks forward to supplying the industry with G.I. Milsim’s full line of markers, loaders and Dark Sports .50 & .68 caliber paintballs, as soon as possible”, added Postorivo.

The Revolution has begun!

G.I Milsim was founded in 2009 with the purpose of providing an additional option to the .68 caliber paintball industry. The company produces several .50 caliber markers such as the NANO50, MICRO 50 and Impulse 50 along with Milsim markers; GI50 and FM50. Their high-speed, low-profile, 300+ round loader, the “Agitator”, has been specifically designed for these new markers. For more information, visit www.gimilsim.com

Valken Sports is the exclusive distributor of V-Tac, Redemption, Crusade, Fate, Exile, Worthington, Sly and now, G.I. MILSIM branded paintball products. See www.valkenpaintball.com
For more details or call (866) 812-2760.

#8 Flatz Flounda

Flatz Flounda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

sticky this or it will be lost in all the many threads in this topic!
Posted Image
Cockerpunk wins!
infinty legend
halo B v35
new england baller

#9 NateDaGreat

NateDaGreat

Master Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

what people half to remember is its an ALTERNATIVE like mike said. Its not gonna take over .50 cal
Posted Image
My Feedback Click Here 9,0,0

Because a fucking sandwich started World War I.

People that hate me: Drexler, GhillieSuitPaintball, BEASTY, anyone else want on the list? Just pm me..

#10 shutts67

shutts67

Score is Irrevelant.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

Has anyone seen a manual for the GI MilSim markers yet?

#11 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:38 AM

I seriously doubt that there actually trying to sell their guns here in the US

First After Mike!

what did I tell about doing that?

"If at first you don't succeed pump, pump again." -me

#12 JerryTX

JerryTX

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I have to agree I like the concept of less painful shots as it would bring and keep more players in the sport. I also like the fact you can get twice number of rounds for the cost of premium paint.

But the initial cost, less range, and smaller visible hits is a bit of a turnoff. I'd think for sure tournament players wouldn't like this. Rec players might like it better tho.
I didn't get where I am today by worrying about how I'd feel tomorrow.

#13 PaintballerFrontman#32

PaintballerFrontman#32

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

I think you might be right, because here in canada my local pro shop has all the .50 cal stuff. I was about to buy a full setup after shooting the nano. I loved the way that thing shot but it would be a waste for me to buy it because the only feild that allows .50 cal is my local rec ball field.
No Todd's Gearbag links in sigs, -ORaNGe-

#14 pumpbusters

pumpbusters

Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

I think you might be right, because here in canada my local pro shop has all the .50 cal stuff. I was about to buy a full setup after shooting the nano. I loved the way that thing shot but it would be a waste for me to buy it because the only feild that allows .50 cal is my local rec ball field.

if you can buy an nano and it doesn't have those rollout or doublefeeding issues I'd say pick it up, I would except their impossible to find here in the US

First After Mike!

what did I tell about doing that?

"If at first you don't succeed pump, pump again." -me

#15 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

I can see pump players sticking with .68. A smaller impact area and less chance of breaking mixed with pump isn't a good recipe.

#16 schulzy

schulzy

It hurts so good.

• Members
  • 14,843 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

I can see pump players sticking with .68. A smaller impact area and less chance of breaking mixed with pump isn't a good recipe.

I can't see any reason as to why a pumper would switch.

sigwf.png

#17 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Exactly.

#18 schulzy

schulzy

It hurts so good.

• Members
  • 14,843 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

Exactly.

Well it's not like the .50 cal promoters were targetting pumpers in the first place.

sigwf.png

#19 Cubeman

Cubeman

Be Prepared

• Members
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Pin this so more people see it :)

CBC.png

the revi looks like a uncircumcised bird and the threshy looks like a turkey on thanks giving lovely, mouth watering :rolleyes:

#20 pbprofessional

pbprofessional

Obsessive compulsive paintball disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

How hard is it to make the pinokio mod and will we be able to send the loader to you and you can mod it for a price. (if you have time)

\/
Not hard all you do is modify the prop and hack down a extreme rage sport shot and ream a cone into the insert. Mike has a vid on his chanel link below \/
\/

hang in till the end and he will show you!

hope this helps!

#21 pinoypaintballer64

pinoypaintballer64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

can you use the bolt pin out of your .68 bolt or no?
i dont wanna be a newbie... :C

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users