22 replies to this topic

#1 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

Ok, I always talk paintball at work, got a handful to start playing regularly. The one guy I work with has a 14 year old son that wants to start playing. With his wife out of work he doesn't have a huge budget to spend (100-350 price range). He made up a list of some kits he found online, his son likes the Milsim style, I tried and tried to talk him into a speedball type marker with no luck. If he would go with a speedball marker I could probably put together a nice little kit, but I know crap about milsim guns, minus the sp1, and your older basic Tippmans. So please help.

1. Has to be Milsim
2. Needs everything to get started
3. Has to be new
4. Has to be within his budget $100-350

It's going to be for Christmas so no hurry thanks so much in advance.

Invert Halo Too - $70
Vforce Pro Vantage - $30
New if he can find it SP SP1 - $175
Ninja 48 3000 - $50
Squeegy - $5
Decent Pack $25
3 Pods $10
$365

again I dunno about the new Tippmans or the Bt some come with hoppers? looks like the A5 X7 do are they good? Are the boards in those kinda Milsim guns decent?

Edited by Killswitchengage, 30 August 2010 - 02:57 AM.

#2 Aulldeath

Aulldeath

Pain is irrelevent, yet inevitable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:21 AM

hmm, He most likely won't find a SP-1 new anywhere untill Smart Parts comes back with those in line. I would suggest maybe a Tippmann 98C, it will be cheap enough, and just show him a few upgrades, to keep the price range to a decent amount.
The A5 and X7 are basically the same, just different looks, stock they come with NO board, you have to buy one for them.
You can buy a E-Grip for all tippmann guns other then the X7 Phenom, it comes with one, and that board is actually pretty damn nice. I would suggest a Tippmann 98C with E-Grip, gonna run him around 200-250 if he buys all new.
Really, for a first setup, skip the HPA, stick with CO2, for $20 he can get a 20 oz tank that will do him better, or just get a 12 oz tank.

Edited by Aulldeath, 30 August 2010 - 03:22 AM.

Posted Image
Yes, I work at Wal*Mart, got a problem with that?

#3 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

hmm, He most likely won't find a SP-1 new anywhere untill Smart Parts comes back with those in line. I would suggest maybe a Tippmann 98C, it will be cheap enough, and just show him a few upgrades, to keep the price range to a decent amount.
The A5 and X7 are basically the same, just different looks, stock they come with NO board, you have to buy one for them.
You can buy a E-Grip for all tippmann guns other then the X7 Phenom, it comes with one, and that board is actually pretty damn nice. I would suggest a Tippmann 98C with E-Grip, gonna run him around 200-250 if he buys all new.
Really, for a first setup, skip the HPA, stick with CO2, for $20 he can get a 20 oz tank that will do him better, or just get a 12 oz tank.

The 98 is not really milsim though... It is no speedball marker, but hardly milsim. Also, I would suggest against the CO2, and get HPA. It is not that much of a cost difference really, and makes a good difference. The CO2 might be worth it if this person woodsballs only, and has no way of filling air though. If it is a woodsball field with a compressor though, go HPA. Gonna save a lot of money in the long run due to all day air.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#4 Aulldeath

Aulldeath

Pain is irrelevent, yet inevitable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

how is the 98C not a milsim gun? Milsim is just a paintball gun that looks military-ish, ALL Tippmann and BT guns are milsim.
Posted Image
Yes, I work at Wal*Mart, got a problem with that?

#5 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:42 AM

I know what Milsim is. I just don't consider a 98c Milsim unless it has a kit on it. Sorry. Black and a foregrip just doesnt make me think Milsim.

This: Yes

Posted Image

This: Not so much.
Posted Image
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#6 ken_dawg13

ken_dawg13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:06 AM

Yeah the 98 doesn't have a Milsim look to it unless you add a few items but by then you could just get an X7
Posted Image<---this

Gun w/ E-tigger $199

Cyclone Feed: $59

AK Kit: $79

Total: $337

X7
Gun w/ E-Trigger: $349

Stock: $10

Total: $359

I think its just easier to throw on a stock and be done and you have a better gun for a difference of $20+

Posted Image
Feedback Thread +5/0/-0

#7 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:48 AM

Thanks so much guys for the help, really appreciate the fast responses, i'm lost when it comes to Milsim. I don't think they are really picky, they just shoot real guns all the time together and they like that look. He had a 98 custom on the list (and I want to say some type of gun that had Delta in the name) when he was giving me ideas. I tried talking him into a used speedball type gun, but he wants new as it's a Christmas present. But thanks so much you guys really helped shed some light on things for me, as I had no idea on boards or e-hands for those style of guns.

Found this for $79 on ansgear.com

My link

Kee Action Package Kit 4

This kit includes the following brand new items:
- Invert Helix Thermal Lens Mask
- Extreme Rage Overdrive dB Paintball Loader
- 20oz. CO2 Tank
- Extreme Rage Barrel Condom
- Extreme Rage Flex Swab

That would cover all the basics and leave him $270 for a marker, dunno which one would be good though.

Edited by Killswitchengage, 30 August 2010 - 04:59 AM.

#8 Robot85

Robot85

Paper has no corners

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

Just throwing this out there, has he been paint balling before? If not it might be good for him to rent for a bit and see what is right for him. Other than that Tippmann are great starting markers and a lot of places have some kind of Tippmann starter package that will allow for extra savings. Just don't fall into the Tippmann money pit of upgrades.

Robot.png
Canadian Ballers Club V3 - Gewn Owners Club V4

CQB Paintball                                                                        
Speedsim Media

#9 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

Just throwing this out there, has he been paint balling before? If not it might be good for him to rent for a bit and see what is right for him. Other than that Tippmann are great starting markers and a lot of places have some kind of Tippmann starter package that will allow for extra savings. Just don't fall into the Tippmann money pit of upgrades.

Nope, great point he hasn't, i'm taking him and his dad with me this Sunday so they can try everything out for there first time. The guys there will have some recball style markers, as well as speedball style, so he will be able to see what he likes. Thanks again everyone for the input.

#10 AznEastside

AznEastside

It's Britney Bitch.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

Yea try to convince him to get a speedball marker. Then you can buy and Electra and use the extra $40 (plus the $50 u were going to spend on the ninja tank) to go buy a 45/45 crossfire tank nstead of a steely.

Edited by AznEastside, 30 August 2010 - 07:14 AM.

Geniuses are ambidextrous, and paintballers are geniuses

Posted Image

#11 brokeballr14

brokeballr14

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

Thanks so much guys for the help, really appreciate the fast responses, i'm lost when it comes to Milsim. I don't think they are really picky, they just shoot real guns all the time together and they like that look. He had a 98 custom on the list (and I want to say some type of gun that had Delta in the name) when he was giving me ideas. I tried talking him into a used speedball type gun, but he wants new as it's a Christmas present. But thanks so much you guys really helped shed some light on things for me, as I had no idea on boards or e-hands for those style of guns.

Found this for $79 on ansgear.com

My link

Kee Action Package Kit 4

This kit includes the following brand new items:
- Invert Helix Thermal Lens Mask
- Extreme Rage Overdrive dB Paintball Loader
- 20oz. CO2 Tank
- Extreme Rage Barrel Condom
- Extreme Rage Flex Swab

That would cover all the basics and leave him $270 for a marker, dunno which one would be good though.

^^ this and a bt delta. then you have the milsim looks and some extra money if you wanna get a invert halo too
THE GAME

#12 crazychristian

crazychristian

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Check out tippmann's alpha black and project salvo:

Posted Image
That is the alpha black....

Posted Image
And that is the project salvo.

Both are great semi-auto guns, and as usual, they are near indestructible. They have a few upgrades possible like an e-trigger if he wants to ever play speedball, but as usual the size of a milsim gun is a disadvantage in speedball. And both are $100-$150. Great value and as milsim as it gets.

Edited by crazychristian, 30 August 2010 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image
Sig made by me :D
My Feedback

#13 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

another opition is the inspire BFG.

for a kid though, i think the alfa black is PERFECT for his needs and wants.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#14 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

yeah, as soon as the new board comes out for it I would suggest the BFG.

#15 thepaintballkid

thepaintballkid

Farcaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

Ok, I always talk paintball at work, got a handful to start playing regularly. The one guy I work with has a 14 year old son that wants to start playing. With his wife out of work he doesn't have a huge budget to spend (100-350 price range). He made up a list of some kits he found online, his son likes the Milsim style, I tried and tried to talk him into a speedball type marker with no luck. If he would go with a speedball marker I could probably put together a nice little kit, but I know crap about milsim guns, minus the sp1, and your older basic Tippmans. So please help.

1. Has to be Milsim
2. Needs everything to get started
3. Has to be new
4. Has to be within his budget $100-350

It's going to be for Christmas so no hurry thanks so much in advance.

Invert Halo Too - $70
Vforce Pro Vantage - $30
New if he can find it SP SP1 - $175
Ninja 48 3000 - $50
Squeegy - $5
Decent Pack $25
3 Pods $10
$365

again I dunno about the new Tippmans or the Bt some come with hoppers? looks like the A5 X7 do are they good? Are the boards in those kinda Milsim guns decent?

Im sure if he wants to go the Milsim look you could get him a vest for cheap on Rap4 maybe.

#16 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I would certainly caution him about the money pit that mil sim markers can become. Be sure to mention to him that when he starts wanting to add stuff to his gun he should seriously consider moving to a new gun. For not much more than the cost of a new stock, egrip etc he can move to the Phenom, TM-7, TM-15, M-Tac, Tactical drone etc.

#17 Nick Nameless

Nick Nameless

God doesn't believe in athiests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

I would certainly caution him about the money pit that mil sim markers can become. Be sure to mention to him that when he starts wanting to add stuff to his gun he should seriously consider moving to a new gun. For not much more than the cost of a new stock, egrip etc he can move to the Phenom, TM-7, TM-15, M-Tac, Tactical drone etc.

I'm looking at buying a mil-sim marker as well, and my research has lead me to the same conclusion about not upgrading a cheap mil-sim gun, but rather buying a nicer one to upgrade.

I'll probably get a BT-4 Omega, and just keep it stock with a $5 gravity feed hopper, and everything. I'll use that as my gun for playing back or mid, and probably never upgrade it unless the upgrade fits on more than 1 gun that I own. I don't plan to upgrade the hopper because I the next gun I'll buy will probably have a feeder system on it already. When I start wanting to put an e-grip and rip-clip on it, I will simply buy a Tippmann X-7 Phenom, and just use it stock until I have the money to upgrade it. I would rather put money into an X-7 instead of a BT-4. You will never come close to getting your money back out of upping a BT-4, Tippmann blowbacks, etc. Just look at the BST forum.

I think the BT-4 Omega is probably a bit better in some areas than the U.S. Army line by Tippmann. It is probably ever bit as durable, and looks less toy-like in my opinion. It is MUCH cheaper to buy the omega than to buy the stock BT-4 Combat, and put a stock, handle, and shroud on it.

You can buy a BT Omega for $129 just about anywhere. The only thing about a mil-sim marker is that it might be heavy. He might be used to shooting real guns, but running around with them is a different story many times. Also, buying one with a stock on it looks more mil-sim, but I would recommend using a remote coil, which would add another $35 to the total.

http://www.ansgear.c...egagunblack.htm

Edited by Nick Nameless, 30 August 2010 - 07:52 PM.

Not too old to have fun...but almost.

#18 grimevil

grimevil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

I got an alpha black for my first marker and within the first two times playing with it i wanted a speedball marker. now i got a mini and im much happier. try to convince him the advantages of speedball markers.

#19 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Geez thanks so much everyone I truly appreciate all the great input.

#20 Robot85

Robot85

Paper has no corners

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

I got an alpha black for my first marker and within the first two times playing with it i wanted a speedball marker. now i got a mini and im much happier. try to convince him the advantages of speedball markers.

But what if he plays two times with one and wants an alpha black? Personal opinion is personal opinion. IMO it's better to go to fields and rent some stuff, sometimes people will let you shoot off a few paintballs with their marker to get a feel for what you want.

Robot.png
Canadian Ballers Club V3 - Gewn Owners Club V4

CQB Paintball                                                                        
Speedsim Media

#21 Mark14

Mark14

Its Not a Discussion Anymore , Its a Court Order

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Just get an Inspire bfg

Posted Image
-My Youtube
-Techpb Young Guns -The AGGZORS
-Fueled by Hatred, Driven by Love

#22 Rawrr

Rawrr

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

I would tell him to check this package out if he is interested in milsim has everything he needs pretty much
http://www.ansgear.c...cticalekit5.htm
RAWRR

#23 crazychristian

crazychristian

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

But what if he plays two times with one and wants an alpha black? Personal opinion is personal opinion. IMO it's better to go to fields and rent some stuff, sometimes people will let you shoot off a few paintballs with their marker to get a feel for what you want.

Ya, the best thing you can do is bring him paintballing or something, and try to get him to understand everything, that way he knows what he wants and won't want to switch.

And grimevil: I went from speedball to milsim. Just because you prefer 'speedball' guns over milsim ones does not mean they are better. It is all personal preference.

Posted Image
Sig made by me :D
My Feedback

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users