• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DVLCHLD

DVLCHLD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:21 PM

I know alot of you already know this but some of you might not.

Paintball marker oil is way too expensive. $3.00-$5.00 for one ounce. Give me a break. lol. Paintball markers are not real firearms. So what are they? They are much closer to an AIR TOOL than a real gun. Why is this important? Because air tool oil is REALLY cheap!!!!! Most of the paintball marker oil you see is just air tool oil in a bottle labeled "paintball gun oil". lol. I buy a 4oz bottle of air tool oil for $2.00. You can buy even bigger bottles for $3.00-$4.00 but the 4oz lasts me a really long time and it fits in my tool box better and it has a flip shut drip nozzle.

Just a tip for the new players.

Edited by DVLCHLD, 11 September 2010 - 07:59 PM.

#2 AlexRoz

AlexRoz

Fresh! Fresher! Freshest! Freshershist!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

Thanks alot mate, my dad told me about this earlier today! :P Weird eh? Thanks for confirming tho.

#3 BEASTY

BEASTY

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks alot mate, my dad told me about this earlier today! :P Weird eh? Thanks for confirming tho.

He's not comfiriming anything.

I have a few questions for you before I use this on anything, were do you get your information? whats the oil based off? Do air tools have orings? will the orings inside my gun swell?

Id recomend NOT using this. Don't be a cheapskate and mess your gun up for not spending the 2$ on oil

What you NEED to do is mark your territory, Pee on/in the WHOLE school. I mean EVERYWHERE just SOAK IT.

↔↔ Beasty Barrel Socks ↔↔ 46/0/0↔↔

#4 chicken quesiDILLA

chicken quesiDILLA

Chicken>Vegetarians

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

smart.

My Feedback +2/-0

Then the newer kid asked "What was the first gun?", to which his buddy replies as follows:
"The Tippmann 98 custom was the first gun made. Spyder and Ion just stole their design and made it more expensive."

#5 ster915

ster915

rapin errbody out here

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

thats pretty cool i wish i knew that i am about to go get me some

all lube for paintball guns are is just vaseline because i have used vaseline and it worked very well i thought same as pb oil
If you are an Ohio baller put this in your sig!

#6 DVLCHLD

DVLCHLD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

Thanks alot mate, my dad told me about this earlier today! Posted Image Weird eh? Thanks for confirming tho.

I have a few questions for you before I use this on anything, were do you get your information? whats the oil based off? Do air tools have orings? will the orings inside my gun swell?

Id recomend NOT using this. Don't be a cheapskate and mess your gun up for not spending the 2$ on oil

I get my information from 20 years of using and repairing air tools and paintball guns and researching the oils and lubricants I use. The oil has a mineral oil base. Do air tools have O-rings? lol. Are you serious. YES, AIR TOOLS HAVE O-RINGS and the manufacturers of air tool oils have to insure that thier products are compatable with all O-ring materials because they don't know what air tools thier products will be used in. No, the O-rings in your gun won't swell from using air tool oil. A paintball gun is basically an air tool. lol. To test my oil I soak several different types of O-rings in it for a week then I do some comparison test between the soaked O-rings and new identical O-rings. Thousands of paintball players have been using air tool oil for years.

Edited by DVLCHLD, 11 September 2010 - 10:58 PM.

#7 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

All of my guns run on air tool oil on everything, even on the regs and on my dm4 fuse bolt. Christopherr here also used air tool oil on his guns.

Posted Image
proud 06' Subaru Impreza owner
king of skiers
August Burns Red "wave good by to the past. You've got your whole life to lead"

#8 DVLCHLD

DVLCHLD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Most seasoned players already know about air tool oil but alot of the younger players just haven't been around long enough to hear about it. Alot of people think," Oh my God!! You can't use ANYTHING but real paintball gun oil or you'll ruin your gun"!! lol. Paintball companies love that. That's how they keep selling one ounce bottles of oil for rediculous prices.

Here's another tip. I see this all the time on paintball sites. Alot of people think petroleum distillates will damage O-rings and ruin a paintball gun. So when they read the safety data sheet for air tool oil and they see that petroleum distillates is one of the ingredients they think, " Oh my God, it has petroleum distillates in it, nooooo it can't be used in anything with O-rings especially a paintball gun". This is FALSE of course because EVERYTHING air tool oil is used in HAS O-RINGS. lol. Alot of paintball gun oils actually have petroleum distillates in them. There are MANY different types and strengths of petroleum distillates many of which are completely harmless to any O-rings. Here's a link that may explain this better than I can.

myths about petroleum distillates

#9 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Your right air tool oil IS cheap.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0009JKGKQ
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#10 Roicker

Roicker

War against PB addiction... Lost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Your right air tool oil IS cheap.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0009JKGKQ

The only problem there is the shipping... :P
Electra 09
Empire Prophecy V2
Ninja 68/4500
V-Force Profiler SE Red
Empire 09 Pants - Redz 4+2+2 Pack

#11 Phantasm

Phantasm

Darchangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

........Paintball marker oil is way too expensive. $3.00-$5.00 for one ounce. Give me a break.............

thanks for the tip but please explain why 3-5 dollars is expensive when most people can spend hundreds to thousands on paintball equipment? for that matter, hundreds to thousands more for field fees and paint.

sure, there are alternatives not meant specifically for paintball. i have heard of cheapsters using transmission fluid or baby oil as well as other awry substitutes. if you're using something like a spyder, fishy, cocker, tippmann, ect, yea using a cheap alternative may be ok. hell if i'd suggest using it in something with an electro-pneumatic solenoid, no way. that's when teflon and silicone based oils are needed. for that matter, what does the -55* affect of co2 have on tool oil?

far as distillates go, when i first stared playing, i used a gun oil. i let 1 of my guns set for about a year without use. when i took it out again all the orings lubricated with this oil were dilapidated to the point where they stretched and stayed that way when pulled on and there was a black residue where the rings had actually melted. needless to say, i had to replace them all. just on that cue, how quickly do you think wear would occur using lubes with distillates?

for a few dollars chump change, it's a safe bet i'd stick to the lubes specifically meant for paintball guns.

Edited by Phantasm, 12 September 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#12 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

far as distillates go, when i first stared playing, i used a gun oil. i let 1 of my guns set for about a year without use. when i took it out again all the orings lubricated with this oil were dilapidated to the point where they stretched and stayed that way when pulled on and there was a black residue where the rings had actually melted. needless to say, i had to replace them all. just on that cue, how quickly do you think wear would occur using lubes with distillates?

gun oil =/= air tool oil

gun oil has solvents in it to break down deposits of carbon from explosions. solvents should never come in contact with your paintball gun.

Air tool oil is exactly what they package up in little tiny bottle and mark up to sell you as paintball gun oil.

and yes, if your gun calls for grease, use grease. If it calls for oil - air tool oil is great.

#13 Phantasm

Phantasm

Darchangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

if you actually read through the thread, my response never mentioned gun oil is or is equal to tool oil. that portion of my response was to illustrate the actual affect distillated have on rubber. it is in fact degrading to rubber products and not completely harmless.

#14 DVLCHLD

DVLCHLD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

........Paintball marker oil is way too expensive. $3.00-$5.00 for one ounce. Give me a break.............

thanks for the tip but please explain why 3-5 dollars is expensive when most people can spend hundreds to thousands on paintball equipment? for that matter, hundreds to thousands more for field fees and paint.

sure, there are alternatives not meant specifically for paintball. i have heard of cheapsters using transmission fluid or baby oil as well as other awry substitutes. if you're using something like a spyder, fishy, cocker, tippmann, ect, yea using a cheap alternative may be ok. hell if i'd suggest using it in something with an electro-pneumatic solenoid, no way. that's when teflon and silicone based oils are needed. for that matter, what does the -55* affect of co2 have on tool oil?

for a few dollars chump change, it's a safe bet i'd stick to the lubes specifically meant for paintball guns.

If you'll notice we are in the "Budget Baller's" section for people that don't have a bunch of money. I don't spend thousands of dollars playing paintball. I play at a free private field and I don't shoot alot of paint. A day of play cost me about $15.00. All of my gear might add up to 3-4 hundred dollars which is ALOT of money to me. I'm on a tight budget. If I can pay $2.00 for 4 ounces of oil insted of $4.00 for one ounce then I'm going to do that.

I know there are alternatives not intended for paintball but air tool oil IS intended for air tools which is basically what a paintball gun is. I'm not suggesting anyone use air tool oil or even regular paintball oil in an electro pneumatic. Air tool oil is a great alternative for regular paintball gun oil. The cold temps of CO2 effect air tool oil the same way it affects paintball gun oil because they are the same thing. lol.

So you used real firearm oil in your paintball gun and it screwed it up. lol. Of course it did. What does that have to do with air tool oil?

How quickly do I think wear would occur using lubes with distillates. Depends on the type and amount of distillates. With air tool oil? No faster than paintball gun oil because they are the same thing. lol.

For a few dollars chump change you can stick to the lubes specifically meant for paintball guns. Nobody's trying to make you change.
But I'm no chump so I'm not going to pay a rediculous markup for anything if I can help it.

#15 DVLCHLD

DVLCHLD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey, Blackrain, How the hell are you? Hey, check it out. Under my name it says, "newbie". How cool is that. I feel so young.

Edited by DVLCHLD, 12 September 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#16 blackrain

blackrain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

Dammit DVLCHLD why did you let this secret out ??????????????? Now they'll go buy out LOWES and put their own brand lables on a bottle. This is kind of like paying $15.00 for shocker lube when you could actually go down to ACE Hardware and get a bigger tube of DOW 33 for $4.00. Same stuff,but if someone said it was specially formulated for paintball 98% of players will believe it.

I bet 1000 E cookies,if you call PPS they'll tel you to use the same stuff, AIR TOOL OIL.

Later,
Blackrain

#17 DVLCHLD

DVLCHLD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

lol, yea I know. I thought this was common knowledge in the paintball world. I mean, it's freaking air tool oil. DUH!! lol. Some of these guys act like I just tried this for the first time yesterday. lol. I know alot of newbies might not know about this but every seasoned player I know uses air tool oil. Oh well. I'm just trying to educate people and maybe save them a buck or two.

Edited by DVLCHLD, 12 September 2010 - 05:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users