2 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

Let's think up of a way to properly test a Cyclone. Its pressure and volume dependent, so finding out exactly how much air it's using is going to be a little tricky. If we do figure it out, we can then see it's performance effect on a gun and how to do product comparisons to find out what types of technology will give it the best performance.

One possible way is to figure out the operating pressure first. Turn down a reg until the cyclone begins to function erratically or not at all. That will be the minimum pressure that it needs at the current volume it's receiving. Chrono a bunch of shots to see the gun's current velocity at that configuration.

Then tape off the cyclone/RT port on the powertube to prevent any air loss from it. Re-chrono the gun and see what velocity increase exists due to the increase in volume.

Here's where I get lost because I'm not good with gaseous physics. A paintball requires a certain amount of pressure and volume to achieve a certain velocity. If we know the difference in velocity and the pressure, shouldn't be able to figure out the change in volume? If there are no other factors being introduced by taping off the port, that would be the volume that is normally given to the Cyclone. My question is how do we figure that out?

I did a little Wiki on this but not sure if I got the equations correct. Force equals pressure times area (or in our case volume)(F=p*V). Force also equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). If we do a little substitution, that would mean that pV=ma. To find the volume, that would be V=(ma)/p, correct? To get the acceleration, we need to figure out the amount of time it took to travel to the chrono. If we know the velocity, we divide it by the distance from one light sensor to the other on a shooting chrony. We then plug that in and it should give us the acceleration. Is all of this correct or did I go wrong someplace?

Edited by Lord Odin, 30 December 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#2 Cheap-o

Cheap-o

THE neglected douche

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

I know that they sell a low pressure power tube kit with the cyclone equipped guns, or the kit for the 98.... some thing to look into

#3 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

I knew taking AP Physics in high school would come in handy some time...

Vf= Final Velocity
Vo= Original Velocity
a= Acceleration
t= Time

Vf=Vo+a(t)

So, you can easily derive the acceleration if your velocity is known and the time is known.

Do you have an egrip for that A5? If so, it would be child's play to rig up a circuit using a stop watch that:
1) shorts the microswitch on the A5 (causing it to fire) and shorting the button on the stop watch (causing it to start)
2) making a panel with a pressure switch under it (as a target for the paintball to hit), that when activated shorts the stop button on the stop watch and stops the time.

Not to mention, when you know time, you could also measure the distance the ball traveled (from the breach to the panel) and derive acceleration that way as well.

This method, wouldn't be perfect, it wouldn't take into account the time it takes for the hammer to strike the valve, and the amount of deceleration that occurs between the end of the barrel and the shooting chrony, but it would be pretty darn good (and more importantly, cheap).

Edited by Troy, 31 December 2008 - 10:55 AM.

\m/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users