• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

As someone who has actually used and played with .50 cal for testing purpose it is nice to see that TechPb community is accepting of .50cal. Over at pbnation the forum is cluttered with "Why do you hate .50 cal" and all sort of other negative threads from kids who haven't even shot it!

Thanks for providing an area where we can talk intelligently about .50 cal with out a million people trolling the thread

NkdMangina on Pbnation, Doyle on Mcarterbrown, SCSUDoyle17 on YouTube, DoylesPaintball on eBay

Team Zero Sponsored by: Vintage Paintball Park, Empire Paintball, DoylesPaintball.com & LLPaintball.com
2nd Place Pump Division - Chicago NPPL 2011

#2 bigballa

bigballa

Who's Your Papa?!?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,205 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, .50 cal is pretty cool. I think it's good for rental as it's cheaper. Cheaper = more profit
Posted Image
13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

#3 logain

logain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

talking of accepting 50 cal, i do believe i saw a few Joy divisions rockin 50cals this weekend at the millenium!

#4 Mark14

Mark14

Its Not a Discussion Anymore , Its a Court Order

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

a Con would be Recoil

Posted Image
-My Youtube
-Techpb Young Guns -The AGGZORS
-Fueled by Hatred, Driven by Love

#5 Geddon

Geddon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

i had been considering .50cal for rental at my park, but instead decided to go a different way.

I'm still a firm believer that ROF is a major contributor to the demise of new growth in paintball. Even tho .50cal hurts less, and this makes sense to a paintball regular, how do you get past the fact that a player might still get shot 4-6 times on a run for the flag?

The one place i can really see .50cal as a benefit for me would be my summer youth camps. I get contracts to provide paintball for some large area youth camps in the summer, and the biggest issue is cost of paint.

Since we're playing on small 3 man airball fields, the distance issues are non existent, and since we play in the dead of texas summer, its not likely to rain...

My biggest issue is startup cost.

We're finding we get the same effect by putting pump guns in their hands, and such is the effect at my field as well. We're actually buying 20 pumps in the next week to sustain our "budget market" for parties/events and the summer camp stuff.

I think .50cal has many merits, but it definitely isn't a solution for everyone.
Posted Image
Owner: Geddons Games and Texas Warzone Event Park
http://www.GeddonsGames.com
http://www.TxWarzone.com

#6 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

i think techpb has a very hype-free understanding of .50 cal, which leads to sensible discussion about it.

i wont be shooting 50 cal, but that doesn't mean i think its hitler.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#7 Geddon

Geddon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

hitler... lulz i like the way you put that.
Posted Image
Owner: Geddons Games and Texas Warzone Event Park
http://www.GeddonsGames.com
http://www.TxWarzone.com

#8 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

i had been considering .50cal for rental at my park, but instead decided to go a different way.

I'm still a firm believer that ROF is a major contributor to the demise of new growth in paintball. Even tho .50cal hurts less, and this makes sense to a paintball regular, how do you get past the fact that a player might still get shot 4-6 times on a run for the flag?

The one place i can really see .50cal as a benefit for me would be my summer youth camps. I get contracts to provide paintball for some large area youth camps in the summer, and the biggest issue is cost of paint.

Since we're playing on small 3 man airball fields, the distance issues are non existent, and since we play in the dead of texas summer, its not likely to rain...

We're finding we get the same effect by putting pump guns in their hands, and such is the effect at my field as well. We're actually buying 20 pumps in the next week to sustain our "budget market" for parties/events and the summer camp stuff.

I think .50cal has many merits, but it definitely isn't a solution for everyone.

Thats a good idea to use for the summer camps

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#9 deathcapt

deathcapt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thats a good idea to use for the summer camps

I agree, pump is a much better money saver than smaller paint. In addition, it's much safer to have newbies with pump / semi. Less likely to have someone get lit up point blank. I'd rather get hit once by a twichy pump noob @ .68 than get lit up by a newbie with a .50 cal ego shooting 15bps.

I'm not sure what costs are like for fields / suppliers, but everything I've seen is that .50 and .43 cal(kingman) paint is more expensive than standard .68. I understand it's all a matter of distribution, and economics etc. But there's never going to be a cross over until there is a tangible savings to the end player. .50 Manufacturers are going to have to give out some discounts to get the product rolling. One thing about 50 cal though is that new / semi / pump players most likely wont need to bring any pods onto the field. Same can be said for air, as I assume the .50cal use less air. So less drain on your fill Cascade.

As mentioned with the smaller fields the .50 doesn't really suffer from the range/ wind issues. .50 might open up the sport to be more friendly to closer quarter/point blank combat. Indoor urban type matches and so on.

I'm pretty sure that .68 will almost surely remain the de-facto munition for paintball, with .50 cal being more of a beginner/ niche market scenario. It's real selling points (Cheaper, Less painful) don't appeal to enthusiasts, where as it's down points ( accuracy, range) are detrimental to serious players. So it'll have a tough sell, and the ones who are really spending the money in this sport are the serious players. So ultimately the economy will generally favor .68.
If you have any creativity, don't put this is your sig.

#10 Blastman

Blastman

Super Awesome Amazing Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

Since when has this sport not been user friendly to point blank/close quarter stuff?

Thats the best shit around :D
Posted Image
OG Club-For the real TechPBers.

#11 deathcapt

deathcapt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Since when has this sport not been user friendly to point blank/close quarter stuff?

Thats the best shit around :D

Lol yeah. But you know what I mean, in Mike's .50 cal video he shot himself in the arm like it was nothing.
If you have any creativity, don't put this is your sig.

#12 Blastman

Blastman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, thats one of the reasons Im not a fan of .50 cal..

I may just be a douche(ok, I am, I am), but some of the fun in bunkering people is the pain....kinda adds to the WTFBBQSAUCEOWNED factor
Posted Image

#13 D.K.

D.K.

L.L.L.

• Banned
  • 12,476 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

It's impossible to bunker someone as lastman.

#14 Blastman

Blastman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:58 PM

It's impossible to bunker someone as lastman.

Im sorry, I mean I enjoy the pain of getting bunkered, my mesage may have been mis-construed as all of the balls I have taken to the face have worn on me....wait wut?
Posted Image

#15 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

one of the fileds near ish to me use 50 cal as rental so the renter dont get as badley hurt
uk field list http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=122343 (work in progress) [Yankee Paintball] Mine's a little bigger then cute
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=146647 my mod app, help me help you(if you want if not then have a good day)

bit its a karnivor... only way to make it look good is to cut it up, lol

win

#16 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

LOL if you want a laugh, go to PBNation

If you want a community with a positive, open mind towards products, come to TechPB.

I read the 50 cal forum over at PBNation and it's SUCH a fucking joke - "Let's all boycott Richmond Italia! Boycott GI Milsim! Boycot Chris Lasoya!" when all the while, it's KINGMAN (not GI Milsim) that is making the biggest push for 50 cal. Those idiots are so involved in their witch hunt, they have lost sight into who's actually pushing 50 cal!

You couldn't fill a shopping cart with the amount of GI Milsim products that have hit the shelves here in the US, but you've already got Gio of Hollywood Sports and Tom Cole (Kingman) already making HUGE presentations at paintball events and tradeshows to state their opinion on 68 caliber.

Like Cockerpunk said, it's not Hitler, it's a smaller ball that gives advantages / tradeoffs with respect to 68. For every advantage you get with 50 cal, you lose an advantage when comparing it to 50 cal.

More capacity... yet less range
It's cheaper.... but the marks are smaller
It's more efficient... but it has a conversion cost
It's quieter.... but your opponents may not feel the hits like with 68

For every + you get a -

But if you are a player with an open mind, you'll see that for SOME people, it may be a good caliber to consider.

From my experience, I think the best ways to use 50 caliber are-

Front players in Airball tournaments (quiet, light and high capacity setup)
Scenario players who are looking for "suppressive fire" (high capacity and effeciency)
Rental guns (cheaper to operate in terms of CO2, higher profit margin for field, less bruises for rental players, quieter guns, etc)

#17 JBaller

JBaller

SCP Edge

• Banned
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

First After Mike

#18 Blastman

Blastman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Not to mention less pain from rental players, which = more players coming back that maybe couldnt have if they wouldnt take the pain from .68

Edited by Blastman, 10 October 2010 - 06:53 PM.

Posted Image

#19 jdlarson11

jdlarson11

Uber Member

• Banned
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

If i had a tourney team that could use 50 and 68 cal

I would have my snake and dorito player using 50 cal and my backs using 68.

A snake player that doesnt need to reload all game

that can also use a smaller pack could be really effective.

#20 jason m

jason m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

I wouldn't mind actually trying it. But i believe the biggest turn off is the less pain factor, and the smaller hit factor. Otherwise i'm all for more efficiency and reduced cost. but i believe until enough people play with it, it will be less and less common, especially at Fields that require the use of field paint.

#21 !bob

!bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

i think 50 cal. is great for something like a small indoor filed, or to use it for "kids". if a kid wanted to try paintball but the parents where scared they would get hurt (i have come across this several times) show the parents a 50 cal. paintball compared to a 68 cal. , they would probley be alot more willing to let there kids try it.

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users