25 replies to this topic

#1 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Okay I have seen a few different guides floating around now but none of them are complete and most of them are highly inaccurate. I am going to do my best at telling you what exercises you should be doing in order to progress as an athlete. A lot of people next to no fitness training when it comes to paintball. Yes it may not be as physically demanding as other sports out there but still if you are in good pysical shape you allready have a slight advatnage. So where do we start?

Cardiovascular Fitness

This is a part of paintball that a lot of people skip out when it comes to training for a paintball season. Where are we going to start? For the large part of a paintball game you are going to be working aerobically. This means that your muscles are using the oxygen taken in through respiration to react and create an energy source. At any point if the demand for oxygen is not by a sufficient supply your body will start to work anerobiclly. Now while this is okay for 30 seconds to a minuet your body will start to notice the effect of a lactic acid build up in your muscles do to glycogen reacting on its own. A build up of lactic acid in your muscles will cause fatigue and cramp very quickly and to an extent stop you in your tracks. Therefore you want to have a good V02 max. A V02 max is the amount of oxygen you can taken in, deliver and utilise in a working minuet. Now obviously the better your V02 max the long that you will be able to compete aerobically which is what we want.

To go about building up a good V02 max you obviously want to be doing plenty of cardio work.
The best thing to do when it comes to doing cardio work is to find something that you enjoy doing. It's amazing how many people start jogging and give it up a few weeks later because they don't enjoy it. If you like running go running. Not for 15 mins but for a good solid hour, if you cant run for an hour slow the pace right down. If you have to take it to just a brisk walk do that. Its better to do 1 hour of walking rather than 20 mins of jogging. When it comes to running there are things that you should be careful of. Wear the correct footwear. People will often get shin splints because they use shit flat shoes. Also don't run every day. Running is incredibly bad for a persons knees, the weight being transferred through your knees when you run can be up to 8 times more than when you walk.

So try some other things? Swimming is fantastic. It works the whole body as well as being a good cardio exercise. But same with running. There is no point going in for 5 mins and flaking out. If you need to slow down do so. Swimming is also very easy on your joints.
Dont like swimming? Try cycling. Same as the other two its a good cardio work out. You also dont get the build up of pressure on your knees.

Now if you dont like solitary monotonous exercises try playing a demanding sport other than paintball. My choice is squash. In one hour a squash player will burn more calories than a football player, rugby player,baseball or basketball. In fact there are very few sports at a professional level that are more trying on a persons cardiovascular fitness. The only one that I know off the top of my head is cross country skiing.

So once you have good cardiovascular fitness your whole body will thank you. Firstly your heart rate will drop due left ventricular hypertrophy and because of this your heart will have to do less work when exercising. Your peak flow will increase. More capillaries will grow on the alveoli in your lungs. This will increase the rate at which diffusion occurs.

Explosive Power

Whether it be making snake or Dorito off the break at some point you will need to make a sprint. Many people dont focus on perfecting their sprint and explosive power. But why not? If you can get to snake quicker by doing so why not? People assume if they are fast they can make it to snake easily. That isnt the case. Those who can reach their maximum out put the fastest are generally those who make it first. You rarely see a sprinter with a shitty start.

Improving the explosive power in your lower body.

The muscles used when running. Firstly you are going to be using your Quadriceps. These muscles cross over two joints. Those being the hip, causing flexion and your knee, causing extension. Break the quadriceps down further and you have 4 or them; hence the term quad. You have Rectus femoris which sits on top right in th middle of your leg. Then Vastus medialis which is located on the medial side ( towards the mid line of the body ), Vastus Lateralis which is towards the lateral side of the body ( outside ) and you have a final deep quadricep call Vastus intermedialis. This is located under Rectus femoris.

Now for you hamstrings of which the are three. You have Bicep Femoris, Semitendinosis and Semimembrinosis. These three muscles will cause flexion of the knee. Extension of your hip will be cause by gluteus maximus(your arse)

Finaly in your lower leg you will have Gastrocnemius and Soleus. These muscles will cause platar flexion

(i've left out a few muscles but they arnt necessary and will be worked when doing the following exercises. I left out muscles such as Illiopsoas and Satorius)

Right now you know the main muscle how can you improve them?

Quads

Squating is the best exercise for quads you can do. But remember you are looking for explosive power so dont do too much of a heavy weight. When completing the exercise you want to be doing it as fast as you possibly can without causing injury. If you need help youtube some weightlifters doing explosive squatlifts.

To work Rectus Femoris, Vastus Lateralis and Vastus Medialis you should perform your squats with your feet facing forward and close together, this will isolate these muscles. An important note is that you should not squat too much. A lot of people think if they have to squat a heavy weight. People who squat more than they can often don't perform them correctly. When squatting you need your femur to just go past parallel with the floor( go to low and you might not get back up and don't go low enough and you wont get the benefit). Squat a weight that you are comfortable with and do it correctly. Also when squatting don't arch your back or have the bar on your neck.

So remember speed is the key when doing this exercise.

Hamstrings/Glutes

Now this is easily my favourite hamstring/glutes/back exercise. But be careful proper technique with this exercise is essential. Poor technique can easily lead to serious injury.

Setup for Deadlift. Don’t move the bar to get into proper position. Walk to the bar & position your feet correctly. Then grab the bar & Deadlift.

Foot Stance. Shoulder-width stance with toes slightly pointing out. Curl your toes up. Jump up a few times: that’s the stance for Deadlifts.
Bar Position. Bar should be 5 to 10cm (2-4″) from your shins when standing. Remember the position of your laces under the bar.
Chest Up. Make a big chest & lift it up. Pull your shoulders back. Keep this position at all time & your back will never be able to round.
Look Forward. Looking down makes your back round. Looking to the ceiling can cause neck pain. Look forward during the whole lift.
Grip Width. Too small & your hands touch your legs on the way up. Too wide & you have to pull the bar higher. Use about 51cm/20″ grip width.
Gripping the Bar. Put the bar close to your fingers, not in the palm of your hands. This will minimize callus formation & torn skin.
Straight Arms. Deadlifting with bent arms can tear your biceps muscles. Keep your arms straight. Tighten your triceps.

Proper Grip for Deadlifts: bar close to the fingers, not in the palm of your hands.
Performing The Deadlift. Deadlift by pushing from the heels & bringing your hips forward. Not by pulling back with your lower back. If you Deadlift correctly, you’ll feel most stress in your upper-back, glutes & hams.

Shoulder-blades over Bar. Put your shoulder-blades directly over the bar, shoulders in front of the bar. Your hips will be at the correct height.
Bar Against Shins. Pull the bar up in a straight line. The closer the barbell to your shins, the better. No need to scrape your shins.
Push From The Heels. Simple trick: curl your toes up. This automatically puts the weight on your heels.
Bar Close to You. Keep the bar in contact with your body during the whole lift, rolling the bar over your shins & thighs. The closer the bar, the less stress on your lower back & the more weight you can Deadlift.
Squeeze You Glutes. Bring your hips forward by pushing from the heels & squeezing your glutes hard. This prevents pulling with the lower back.
Lock The Weight. The Deadlift ends when your knees & hips are locked. No need to roll the shoulders or hyper-extend the lower back.

Bringing the Weight Down. Don’t lose time bringing the weight down. Do it controlled but not slow. The rule: hips unlock first, then knees.

With the dead lift I would highly advise not to use running trainers but to perform the exercise in flat shoes or bare feet

^ I lifted this walkthrough from a website but I went over and checked everything to ensure it was a good and proper technique.

I would also highly suggest that you look at videos of deadlifitng before you try it.

Finally we have

Gastrocnemius and Soleus

Calf raises with a barbell are a good was to build muscle in the two muscles. The same with the other two. The movements have to be fast and explosive. You need to be standing on a flat surface( again flat shoes ) and holding the barbell as tho you are going to squat. From here it is nice and simple. All you need to do is stand o your toes and back down. Its that easy. Remember to be explosive.

Snapping

Now for snapping, it totally depends on which technique that you use. Some people use their core whilst others focus things around their legs.

We will start with the legs. When snapping your legs will generally be contracting isometricly. But just because they dont move doesnt mean they wont tire. When snapping your weight is sustained in a slight crouch position mainly by rectus femoris. Now to enhance this muscles performance you want to be doing squats. Except not explosively but calm and controlled.

When people sue their core you will be using Rectus abdominis and your obliques to snap. There are muliple exercises that can be used to work your core. First off there is the plank this will work your abs. Try to hold out as long as you can. Form there you have crunches, Situps with medican balls. side plank, crunch with twist and many others. Change up the exercises you do. Dong the same ones can just be monotonous.

General Upperbody
Okay what does your upper body consist of? if you ask most people its pecs and shoulders. But there is so much more that you need to know. Heres some of the major muscles that you have in your upper body.

Pectorals Major/Minor
Deltoids Anterior/Medial/Posterior
Bicep Brachii
Tricep Brachii
Trapezius
Latisimus Dorsi
Erectus Spaine

Of course there are so many more muslces than just these but If I listed them all I would be here forever.

Pectorals

Pecs are your boobs ;) the best exercise you can do for them is a bench press. The same rules apply with bench press as with a deadlift. It is a very dangerous exercise if you dont know how to do it. So before you even think of trying it google how to. If you want to work the top part of your pecs and some of your shoulder do an incline bench press. If you want the define cut under your pecs then do a decline bench press.
**Always have a spotter**

If you dont have access to a bench press. Push ups are fine.

Bicep brachii- Your Biceps. This is an easy one. Bicep curls are fine same with preacher curls. Once thing I would say is not to lift a weight that is too heavy other wise you start swinging your body to lift the weight.
Tricep brachi- Pretty easy as well. Youve got a range of exercises to choose from. Tricep kick backs. tricep dips or skull crushers are my favourite. ( Be careful with skull crushers not to use a weight that is too heavy)

Deltoids are the main muscle that makes up your shoulder. Its split in to three sections front middle back. But the simplest and my favourite shoulder exercises is a simple dumbbell shoulder press.
This guy has a very good technique

Your traps are those muscles on your neck, an exercises that you should look into is shurgs. you can use either a dumbbell bar. A set of dumbbells or an olympic bar.

Latisimus dorsi is one of the largest muscles in your body and the best exercise for this is simply the lat pull down.

Recovery/injuries

After you do weight training you may wake up in the morning and feel like someone has come in during the night and gone to town on you with a baseball bat. This dull aching sensations is known as DOMS
Delayed
Onset
Muscles
Soreness

This is when you don't do a cool down and the lactic acid stays in your muscles. It sure bites you in the ass. But plenty of developmental stretches will help you remove the lactic acid as well as a nice hot bath. A developmental stretch is when you hold the stretch for about 45 seconds. This is how you improve flexibility as well.

Ok here is a situation- you are running to back corner of the break and as you get into the can you roll on your ankle. It hurts like a mofo but you can still walk with a hobble. What should you do?

Stop playing you will only make things worse.
As soon as you can get some ice and apply it. By doing this the blood vessels in your ankle with vasoconstrict, this will reduce the blood flow to the area. The reason that you want to reduce the blood flow is that your body often over reacts and send far too much blood and pain to the area. So by reducing blood flow you stop the effect of this.
Only apply the ice for 10 mins at a time as if you leave it any longer the vessels will dilate as part of hunters effect so take intervals between icing.

After about 5 hours you should start to apply heat, this will dilate the vessels and send more O2 and nutrients to start the acute phase of healing. The increase blood flow to the area will decrease the healing time.

You then need to strap and bandage the affected area this will prevent too much movement and further injury.

Just so you know 9/10 times when you roll your ankle you will suffer later ligament damage on a scale of 1 to 3.
1 would put you out of exercise for a few weeks
2 will put you out for 4 weeks maybe more
3 will put you out over 6 weeks.

Always get checked out by a doctor as well.

Nutrition

When playing paintball being hydrated is important but its not all about water. Although you should drink plenty of water in the days prior to an event. One of the last signs that a person is dehydrated is thirst.

When you are exercising for a long duration you need to drink a combination of either

Isotonic
Hypertonic
Hyoptonic now my advice is to drink Isotonic Drinks and Water. Its better to take sips regularly than all at once.

% body weight lost as sweat Physiological Effect
2% Impaired performance
4% Capacity for muscular work declines
5% Heat exhaustion
7% Hallucinations
10% Circulatory collapse and heat stroke

This is why drinking water alone wont cut it. if you become dehydrated you have lost
Sodium
Potassium
Calcium
Magnesium
Chloride
Bicarbonate
Phosphate
Sulphate

This wont be replaced by water.

Why is water not that great?
Drinking plain water causes bloating, suppresses thirst and thus further drinking. A poor choice where high fluid intake is required. Water contains no carbohydrate or electrolytes.

Isotonic - quickly replaces fluids lost by sweating and supplies a boost of carbohydrate. This drink is the choice for most athletes - middle and long distance running or team sports. Glucose is the body's preferred source of energy therefore it may be appropriate to consume Isotonic drinks where the carbohydrate source is glucose in a concentration of 6% to 8% - e.g. High Five, SiS Go, Boots Isotonic, Lucozade Sport.

I'd advise you to make your own isotonic drink as it wont contain unwanted sugars ect.
Isotonic - 200ml of orange squash (concentrated orange), 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt (1g). Mix all the ingredients together and keep chilled

So through out the day have both have regular sips rather than all at once.

Diet

You often hear that you should have a healthy balanced diet but what is it? Well Its paying attention to something called a Food Pyramid.
Posted Image

You should pay attention to this and follow its recommendations. You dont need a massive diet change to be healthy.

*** This thread is nowhere near complete I will add more when I have time***

Ideas always welcome

Edited by Distortion_UK, 17 December 2010 - 07:57 PM.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#2 Wolfwood

Wolfwood

Unofficial Official Ranter.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

so for a decent write up, although it's nothing more then a google search could turn up, i would honestly never recommend running/jogging, to much damage to the knees, Swimming and Cycling would be much better options, although i prefer swimming since i love the water, i am a lifeguard and it is easy on my joints, hell, you don't even need to swim laps that much, take the family to the pool and just have fun, you burn many more calories and use more muscles just treading water then by walking, although don't quote me on that, unless you put it in a hilarious context.

#3 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I still like my routine more :D. I just didn't drag it out for 3 pages. :P

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#4 The Olive TM7

The Olive TM7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Amazing write up man, helped me loads

I'm even going to claim it as Biology revision haha.

Can't wait for the next bit and I did notice one error

After about 5 hours you should start to apply heat, this will dilate the vessels and send more O2 and nutrients to start the acute phase of healing. The increase blood flow to the area will increase the healing time.

I think that's supposed to say blood flow to the area will decrease the healing time?

Thanks for the read :)
Posted Image

#5 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Amazing write up man, helped me loads

I'm even going to claim it as Biology revision haha.

Can't wait for the next bit and I did notice one error

After about 5 hours you should start to apply heat, this will dilate the vessels and send more O2 and nutrients to start the acute phase of healing. The increase blood flow to the area will increase the healing time.

I think that's supposed to say blood flow to the area will decrease the healing time?

Thanks for the read :)

Silly me lol I was supposed to write decrease ;)

Posted Image

#6 mokothemonkey

mokothemonkey

Official Chat Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

radzicalzzz

Hi.

#7 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

so for a decent write up, although it's nothing more then a google search could turn up, i would honestly never recommend running/jogging, to much damage to the knees, Swimming and Cycling would be much better options, although i prefer swimming since i love the water, i am a lifeguard and it is easy on my joints, hell, you don't even need to swim laps that much, take the family to the pool and just have fun, you burn many more calories and use more muscles just treading water then by walking, although don't quote me on that, unless you put it in a hilarious context.

I'd dis-agree with this, YES running does put pressure of your knee's But to be honest it kinda goes back to HOW you run, if your heel-striking. hells yes you will notice the impact from the ankle joint right up to your hip. ( your knee becomes a target ) and of course shin splints.
But by simply running right, ( ie fore-foot striking) you can drastically reduce the impact signature throughout the body.

Running is good for you, getting a solid cycling bike (if you plan on doing it constantly ) can easily run upwards to 1000$ ( and WAY beyond if you do so choose)
so the cycling thing to me is kinda iffy, ( swimming a good, I love it!)

But running is still a good option, especially as it is a weight bearing exercise. and if done right. and with proper time in between ( ie dont run EVERY single waking minute) then you will be fine.

Here's my running schedule if you would like to professionally player hate on it :P
Day 1: 30 minute walk outside ( i do this in the morning,)
Day 2: Full run ( for me usually lasts around a hour and a half.)
Day 3: 30 minute walk ( once again in the morning)
day 4: Full run ( I target for a hour and thirty if possible)
Day 5: 30 minute walk
Day 6: Full run
Day 7: 30 minute walk

I do this in the morning, ( usually round 5:45 to 6:00 ) as my day starts at 9, so I have time to shower and eat too :P )

Every second week I replace day 4 with a Target of 26KM ( 21 as a half marathon and the extra 5 just to help)

Edited by Eskimo, 19 December 2010 - 12:20 AM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#8 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

Lol. If you're so worried about running and jogging damaging your knees. Then I pity you. I hope you never have kids because I will would feel bad when they go to play tag with their friends and you say they can't run after them because it will damage their knees lol.

Edited by Kirko017, 20 December 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#9 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

You clearly don't understand. If you had any concept anatomy or biomechanics you would know how bad sport in general is for your health.

Ask any sports man in their 50's how their joints are or their back is.

No playing paintball at the weekend isn't going to damage your knees but if you run for let's say 1 hour a day the meniscus cartilage in your knees will tear and flake off leaving with bone on bone or known as osteoarthritis.

Posted Image

#10 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

I do honestly know nothing.

But thats why I'm in university for not health anatomy bio mechanical physiology. or what your intelligent within, I just know a few terms and directions and a couple muscle names, ( insertion, origin,) the easy stuff.

But I love running, I love swimming, and Swimming in a frozen pool dont seem to happy, for me.
So in the winter, I run.

Edited by Eskimo, 20 December 2010 - 10:33 PM.

Citrus Connection

#11 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:47 AM

I wasn't talking to you Eskimo, I know you know your stuff. I was talking to kirko.

Posted Image

#12 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

I wasn't talking to you Eskimo, I know you know your stuff. I was talking to kirko.

lmao Go ask anyone in their 50's how their back or joints feel. Majority will say their back or joints hurt because they are in their 50's, regardless of playing sports. Apparently you never heard of aging..

Edited by Kirko017, 23 December 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#13 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

You clearly don't understand. If you had any concept anatomy or biomechanics you would know how bad sport in general is for your health.

No playing paintball at the weekend isn't going to damage your knees but if you run for let's say 1 hour a day the meniscus cartilage in your knees will tear and flake off leaving with bone on bone or known as osteoarthritis.

Lol. Yes. I clearly do not understand. If only I had a conecpt of anatomy and biomechanics I could understand and be so wise as you. I wish I knew the difference between my quad and my hamstring. Oh teach me oh so mighty Distortion_UK. Your powerful knowledge of a 7th grade health class and it's chapter on anatomy is oh so great. Praise the lord for giving you the gift of knowledge! May you be blessed for passing thus information among us peasants of ignorance.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#14 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Sorry just informing you that sport is detrimental to ones health, a concept you dont understand. Running in excessive amounts is bad for you. Its fact. There no shit you can do or say to change that fact.

Posted Image

#15 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

alright, people. this obviously isnt working.

1 kirko, stop being a ass.
"Oh teach me oh so mighty Distortion_UK. Your powerful knowledge of a 7th grade health class and it's chapter on anatomy is oh so great."

thats uncalled for, first UK has demonstrated he has more knowledge within this field then many people on techpb. dont like what he says? Then add your opinion but dont be rude. think you have more intellectual power then him, then how about helping, his lasts words were "idea's always welcome"

2, he is not saying "dont ever move at a quick pace because your joints will explode. and you will die faster"
He's saying that there are better alternatives to running when it comes to cardiovascular training, YES running helps, more then not moving, but there are also other things you can do to put your heart up without pounding away at your joints. ( swimming, cycling, or other activities,)

were all on the same team.

Citrus Connection

#16 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thank you Eskimo, your input is always most welcome. :)

Posted Image

#17 StuManChu

StuManChu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the excellent write up Distortion. Will apply it to my New Years resolution.

#18 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Idea/Input

Cardiovascular Fitness

This is a part of paintball ..............

To go about building up a good V02 max............

So try some other things? Swimming is fantastic..............

Now if you dont like solitary monotonous exercises try playing a demanding sport other than paintball.......

When Building Cardiovascular fitness your goal is to reach your "Target Heart Rate" this is the area which the muscles ( ie your heart) actually needs to get to to build strength. Imagine doing 5 push-ups. thats not exactly what someone would call a "strain" to a persons ability to push themselves up.
Your Target heart rate usually sits around 70% - 80% of your maximal heart rate,
Calculating Max H.R - there is unfortunately no easy way to get your Max H.R. perfectly, usually a good guideline is ( 220 - [your age] ) = Max H.R.

So if your 18 years old, your max HR will be (220 - 18) = 202 B.P.M
therefor 70% of 202 is ( 202 X 0.70 ) = 141.4
and 80% of 202 is ( 202 X 0.80 ) = 161.6

Thus your target Heart rate, the rate which you will receive the most benefits to the time spent training will be between 140 and 160 BPM.
An easy way to get a "guesstimate" of your H.R. when your moving around is doing a 10 second pulse check, this can be done easily on the radial artery. located about 3-4 finger width's from the bottom of your lower thumb bone inside your palm (called the most lateral metacarpal). Or the Carotid artery which is located to the left or the right ( technically located Laterally) to the center of your throat, just put two fingers inside the soft spot and you should quickly feel it)

So once you have good cardiovascular fitness your whole body will thank you. Firstly your heart rate will drop due left ventricular hypertrophy and because of this your heart will have to do less work when exercising. Your peak flow will increase. More capillaries will grow on the alveoli in your lungs. This will increase the rate at which diffusion occurs.

Ideas always welcome

Edited by Eskimo, 23 December 2010 - 07:26 PM.

Citrus Connection

#19 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Lol. If you're so worried about running and jogging damaging your knees. Then I pity you. I hope you never have kids because I will would feel bad when they go to play tag with their friends and you say they can't run after them because it will damage their knees lol.

Note: This statement was directed towards merman aka Wolfwood.

Sorry just informing you that sport is detrimental to ones health, a concept you dont understand. Running in excessive amounts is bad for you. Its fact. There no shit you can do or say to change that fact.

An hour a day is hardly an excessive amount...

Regardless of running. There is this beautiful thing called aging. Your body begins to breakdown. If you're going to get bad knees at the age of 50. You're going to get bad knees. Sport may encourage it if there was an injury or something of the sort but running is not the reason behind it.. There have been a number of studies behind this. If you had any knowledge more so on this subject, you would know this. But you have only took a health class in high school or maybe even an intro course in a university..

Osteoarthritis is caused mainly by genes and risk factors like obesity rather than daily exercise or wear and tear of joints. A normal functioning joint can withstand and actually flourish under a lot of wear. Because cartilage does not have arteries that deliver blood, it relies on the pumping action generated by movement to get its regular dose of oxygen and nutrients. When you bear weight, the joint squishes out fluid, and when you release weight, it sucks in fluid. That is why a daily run or any other workout is useful for maintaining a healthy cartilage.

Standford University, here in the states, did a research on runners and non-runners about this matter. It's in the Archives of Internal Medicine and there are a number of journals about this subject as well. All stating that running does not cause Osteoarthritis and running is good for your knees.

"Oh teach me oh so mighty Distortion_UK. Your powerful knowledge of a 7th grade health class and it's chapter on anatomy is oh so great."

thats uncalled for, first UK has demonstrated he has more knowledge within this field then many people on techpb. dont like what he says? Then add your opinion but dont be rude. think you have more intellectual power then him, then how about helping, his lasts words were "idea's always welcome"

2, he is not saying "dont ever move at a quick pace because your joints will explode. and you will die faster"
He's saying that there are better alternatives to running when it comes to cardiovascular training, YES running helps, more then not moving, but there are also other things you can do to put your heart up without pounding away at your joints. ( swimming, cycling, or other activities,)

were all on the same team.

I am sorry, but no. Mr UK only has demonstrated he knows a few vocab words and a couple basic things of the human anatomy which I learned in 7th grade.. The reason he has demonstrated he has more knowledge on this subject is because well let's face it.. Half of TechPP probably hasn't even graduated from high school... I simply stated I had pity for wolfwood. And UK saw fit that I had no understand of anatmony or biomechanics because I didn't write up a pretty little thread using a few terms.

2. Assuming your talking about wolfwood now... Saying he would never recommend running because it damages the knees is ridiculous. Although swimming and cycling are a couple alternatives, excluding running is silly and that's what I expressed.

Edited by Kirko017, 24 December 2010 - 10:39 AM.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#20 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

Ok, the cartilage in your knees, the meniscus. Well it's a thick pad and this pad absorbs the shock transferred through your knees. This pad of cartilage will never ever grow back or repair it's self once its gone.
when you run you transfer 8 times your body weight through your knees. This thick pad as rouged as it seems does wear away, an all those ,little niggles you get tear the cartilage. When I say excessive I mean 2or so hours a day.

When this cartilage has worn away due to it's weight bearing load and continual pressure of running the bone will grind on bone, which you know as osteoarthritis.

Argue as you will but cartilage does wear away and it won't ever re grow. yes ageing to some extent does have an effect but sport quickly speeds up the process. I've written numerous papers on how sport is detrimental to health in different ways.

For your information before you start throwing around terms and accusations I've been studying sports and science exercise for 4 years now. With that course I've studied biology and human biology. I've also taken level 1,2 and 3 physical instructors course. So I'm now qualified to go and work in a gym as a personal trainer.

Sport has been my life for is considerable time. It's something I know a fair bit about. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, I'm trying to help people. I know a lot of people haven't studied sport in depth and trying to help.

Running directly on it's own isn't that bad. But that's not the problem. People have piss poor running technique, myself included. Through this you get the niggles which causes the cartilage to flake which causes arthritis which is a pain in the ass.

I'm starting to think helping people isn't worth it.........

Posted Image

#21 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

I am sorry, but no. Mr UK only has demonstrated he knows a few vocab words and a couple basic things of the human anatomy which I learned in 7th grade.. The reason he has demonstrated he has more knowledge on this subject is because well let's face it.. Half of TechPP probably hasn't even graduated from high school... I simply stated I had pity for wolfwood. And UK saw fit that I had no understand of anatmony or biomechanics because I didn't write up a pretty little thread using a few terms.

Then keep your opinion and I shall have mine, Together we can work out little things, if there is something bothering you in the main topic, if there is something which is wrong or doesn't make sense, then point it out. anyways, im out of this thread for a bit, I added a lil thing about target heart rates, just in case someone doesnt know much about it. Becuase your right, TechPB DOES have a young audience. but using "big words" doesnt make us appear more intellectual, those words are used to pin point specific things. Practicing being smart usually leads to a improvment in S.M.R.T. ness

Edited by Eskimo, 25 December 2010 - 05:18 PM.

Citrus Connection

#22 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Ok, the cartilage in your knees, the meniscus. Well it's a thick pad and this pad absorbs the shock transferred through your knees. This pad of cartilage will never ever grow back or repair it's self once its gone.
when you run you transfer 8 times your body weight through your knees. This thick pad as rouged as it seems does wear away, an all those ,little niggles you get tear the cartilage. When I say excessive I mean 2or so hours a day.

When this cartilage has worn away due to it's weight bearing load and continual pressure of running the bone will grind on bone, which you know as osteoarthritis.

Argue as you will but cartilage does wear away and it won't ever re grow. yes ageing to some extent does have an effect but sport quickly speeds up the process. I've written numerous papers on how sport is detrimental to health in different ways.

For your information before you start throwing around terms and accusations I've been studying sports and science exercise for 4 years now. With that course I've studied biology and human biology. I've also taken level 1,2 and 3 physical instructors course. So I'm now qualified to go and work in a gym as a personal trainer.

Sport has been my life for is considerable time. It's something I know a fair bit about. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, I'm trying to help people. I know a lot of people haven't studied sport in depth and trying to help.

Running directly on it's own isn't that bad. But that's not the problem. People have piss poor running technique, myself included. Through this you get the niggles which causes the cartilage to flake which causes arthritis which is a pain in the ass.

I'm starting to think helping people isn't worth it.........

Lol You don't get it... Where did I ever say cartilage does not wear away, or that it grows backs? You won't find it. You read one thing and you have comprehension problems or something because you registered it as something else. I said running does not cause osteoarthritis and so on.. You are more than welcome to go back and read it over again..

I am going to go with the assumption that you mean little hairline fractures when you say niggles..
And please keep repeating to me what Osteoarthritis is. I obviously do not understand it....

Also I want to thank you for proving to me that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You completely tried to back step your way out of the hole you dug yourself in and showed that you have no facts at all.
Sooo... What's your final answer here bud? I mean you studied biology, human biology, lvl 1-3 instructor courses, certified personal trainer, and yet you do not have an exact answer here.. Were you asleep during the lecture days on this?
You just proved that your entire point you were trying to make is invalid. Your not even sure on what you are saying and tried to change it after you saw that I have credible information proving your wrong. Information and data collected by credited scientists and medical professionals that had their research published in medical journals.
Speaking of credibility, the papers you wrote have none. Those are simply some papers you wrote on how you think sport is detrimental to health. You are not a credited professional. You have no hard evidence that running causes Osteoarthritis.
I could go find someone who says Hitler was Jesus Christ reincarnated and was here to cleanse the planet and write numerous papers on it but that does not make it true...
Well I am glad it took you 4 years to become a personal trainer. I see it went a long way for you.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#23 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Then keep your opinion and I shall have mine, Together we can work out little things, if there is something bothering you in the main topic, if there is something which is wrong or doesn't make sense, then point it out. anyways, im out of this thread for a bit, I added a lil thing about target heart rates, just in case someone doesnt know much about it. Becuase your right, TechPB DOES have a young audience. but using "big words" doesnt make us appear more intellectual, those words are used to pin point specific things. Practicing being smart usually leads to a improvment in S.M.R.T. ness

I honestly didn't care to even read what you wrote. I never even directed anything towards you until after you put your nose where it didn't belong. In fact, same with Mr UK. I noted who I was talking to make sure you guys know you brought this upon yourselves. As far as I can tell, you and Mr UK are probably long distance myspace boyfriends for all I can tell with the way you guys communicate on here.

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#24 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

You said running isn't bad for you it's ageing that does that. I've merely said no running is bad for you and said it is a catalyst to the process.

Posted Image

#25 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

I honestly didn't care to even read what you wrote. I never even directed anything towards you until after you put your nose where it didn't belong. In fact, same with Mr UK. I noted who I was talking to make sure you guys know you brought this upon yourselves. As far as I can tell, you and Mr UK are probably long distance myspace boyfriends for all I can tell with the way you guys communicate on here.

Im not going into this,
please do not make me out for someone yelling at you or fighting for someone else.
I pointed out your original comment, then continued to say that we are all intelligent people. we can figure this out without name calling or belittling anybody.

"you and Mr UK are probably long distance myspace boyfriends for all I can tell with the way you guys communicate on here"

Thats totally out of line. I have no affiliation with Distortion UK outside this forum. If you want to make comments on homosexuality, its for a different place. not on a paint ball forum.

Citrus Connection

#26 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

I'm going to ask a mod to close this i think, too much hassle, fuck trying to help anyone if this is all you get.

Edited by Distortion_UK, 27 December 2010 - 06:10 PM.

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users