56 replies to this topic

#1 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

RIP Borg. Never forgotten.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Good day to those reading. In this thread, I'm going to cover tactical vests, and their use in paintball. This is all drawn from my own experience as a woodsball player, and much of the placement/loadout advice is my opinion. The info on the different types of vest however is fact. Everyone is different, this is the way I do things, and I can only recommend it to you.

If you are left handed, and shoot with the tank normally in your left shoulder, then reverse all the left/rights.

Modularity

Onward then. Firstly – Non-modular, semi modular, and modular.

Non-modular/Fixed

A non-modular vest is one that each pouch is permanently sown in place, and cannot be removed or altered. An example of this is the armotech vest below, or the BT battle vest . The advantages of a vest using this type of attachment are that it is simple, and very easy to use. No assembly required, bang it on and go play. However, if there's something you don't like about the vest – for example, if the radio pouch is too small, then there's little you can do it about, short of taking a pair of scissors, needle and thread to it.

Posted Image
Armotech vest, once owned by me. Pods in front (discussed lower down), and non-modular.

Semi-modular

A semi modular vest is one that some pouches can be removed and interchanged, though the scope for this is limited. Such as the rap4 tactical ten vest, the pouches can be removed and reconfigured, using a Velcro attachment system. However, there are a limited number of these Velcro-backed pouches in production – it's by no means a standardised system. Another example is the flurry vest, on which some pouches are removable (again, Velcro attachment), and others are permanently sown on. Hence, semi-modular.

Posted Image
RAP4 TacTen - each panel is attached with velcro to the platfrom.

Modular

A truly modular vest, more commonly referred to as a MOLLE vest (which stands for Modular Lightweight Load-bearing Equipment), is one that uses a PALS webbing system to attach pouches to the vest. The finer points of this would take an entire thread in itself, so forgive me for taking the easy way out, and referring you to
Wikipedia. The advantage of this system is that there is a limitless amount of configurations available. You can choose any MOLLE platform, from any manufacturer, and combine it with a huge range of pouches (literally, tens of thousands of options), and have a rig entirely assembled to your taste and preference. On the downside though, it rapidly gets expensive.

Posted Image

The horizontal lines are strips of fabric, which are sown to the vest via vertical stitching every 1.5 inches. There are vertical corresponding strips of fabric on the back of a MOLLE pouch, which are threaded behind the horizontal strips on the vest. See Tyger's video below for a visual demonstration.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mcbJQ4p4SI"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8mcbJQ4p4SI[/url]

Loadout

So you've decided what type of vest you want to use. Now, what goes in all those exciting pouches and pockets? I'm talking as if you were playing a full-blown, two to seven day scenario, not 5v5 at a walkon or the like.

So joint first, comes paint and water. Some people will say water is all-important, but I disagree, plenty of people play big games here with just pod packs, and are fine. It does depend on your climate though; obviously water will be more important if you live in Oklahoma, than in wind-swept East Anglia. Paint, I can't really advise you on how much you need, it really depends on your style of play.

I personally carry my water in a camelback in a pouch on my vest, but you can use water bottles, waterpods, whatever, it's down to the individual.

After those two, prioritising becomes difficult. A radio, provided other people on your side are using them, is always a valuable asset. You can, in effect, become a team leader - if you can communicate with your chain of command, then everyone around you is in your hands. In your General wants an objective 500m south of your position taken, and you're the only one with a radio in the area, then it's up to you to get some guys together and have a crack at it.

I always carry a map of the game area with me, along with a compass if it's a big field. Obvious really, it's easy to get totally lost, and it makes it far easier to understand the strategic situation if you have an image in front of you to which you can refer.

I, personally find that smoke grenades are useful on the field, mainly if some entrenched target is putting up stiff resistance, and the attacking force (us) is getting bogged down. They're also good fun, and do make games more interesting. Not essential though.

Carry a swab with you, it's embarrassing to have to borrow one, and a barrel full of paint makes you useless as an offensive player.

ID tags/cards, if you're using them, put them somewhere easy to reach, but where they won't fall out.

Also on my vest I have a pouch for pistol magazines, I may do a thread about pistol use in the future, but this isn't the place. Anyway, if I'm using it, the mags will be in my vest. As will some 12gs. The pistol itself goes in a right-hand drop leg holster. My left leg is always clear, so if I'm sliding I don't crush anything.

Finally, I have a utility pouch that is normally empty, it's good for putting small objectives in, such as if you have to collect 'artefacts'/objectives from the field. Which once lead to my carrying around 6 bottles of 'diesel' in my vest, weighed me down a bit. However, that's a story for another day.

Some people take snacks onto the field, I personally don't. Unless there are in-field safe zones then don't bother, because you'll have to lift your mask to eat anything.

Where does it go?
You dirty minded bugger.

Paint – I always have my paint in pouches on my back. 5 pods, all with the lids downward, similar to a pod pack. I did once have a vest with the pods on the front, though I disliked it for two reasons. Firstly, it preventing me from bending easily at the waist – the rigid pods just in front of my midriff were getting in the way. Not ideal when trying to play bunkers tightly.

Secondly, it prevented me from crawling. If I didn't use completely solid pods (no flex in them), then all my paint would break, and it generally didn't feel too clever. The advantages were that you can easily see the pods, and get them back in their pouches. Personally, I can do that just as easily with the pods behind me. See the picture of my old Armotech vest at the very top.

Broadly speaking, with my MOLLE rig I always keep the space in front of me clear, so I can crawl. Everything is on the sides or back.

Posted Image
Myself at the tippmann challenge. You can just see some of my pouches on my RH side, deliberately set to the side that they are not in the way when my belt buckle is on the ground.

Water – Personally, in a camelbak. Waterpods and bottles are well and good, but you will either need to use a straw (which I would easily lose), or pour it through your mask grill. I've never tried the latter, but I can imagine it's less than ideal. If you do use a camelbak, put the hose over your left shoulder, so that you do not open the valve with your tank/stock when shooting.

Posted Image
In this picture of me, you can see the placement of my paint, with the camelbak beneath it (hence the bulge).

Radio – If you're right handed, put it on the left upper chest area (as close to the edge of the vest as possible). This is so it will not get in the way of your tank/stock, and will not be underneath you when crawling. If it's got a screen, it faces you (presuming it's in a pouch); this protects it from incoming paint, and means you only have to marginally slide it out of the pouch to see the display. Otherwise you will need to completely extract it and turn it through 180 degrees before you can see what's happening.

Grenades – If you're using them, and you're right handed, they go on the right hand side of the vest. You reload with your left hand, and throw with your right.

Swab – I fold mine in half, and stick it through the MOLLE loops on the top of my left hand shoulder, so I can quickly grab it with my right hand and get it into the gun. You could also carry it in a pocket or pouch, I've just found on top of the shoulder to be the best option for me. See the above picture of me, the swab is visible on my left shoulder.

Air tank – When running remote, I have a pouch on the back of my vest, above my paint, for my 68/45. It is horizontal, with the reg on the RH side, and the line run under my arm. Obvious really.

Pistol mags – In a pouch on the lower LH side. As said above, you load with your left hand. 12g's go in a pouch next to it, so that i can hold the pistol in my right hand, and (guess what) load the 12gs with my left.

If you have questions, then post them up. I shall extend this as i see fit, and when there is enough interest to warrant more information. This is very much a work in progress, hence the current erratic placement of pictures etc.

Edited by JJ GBR, 19 January 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Hebiki

Hebiki

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

a vest also offers good protection.

first! :)

Posted Image
Professional Web & Graphic Designer | Web Development

Converting your ideas into a graphic reality and giving it a web presence - Contact me | Facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks

#3 PBSL Carmen

PBSL Carmen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing, this will be very helpful to beginning players.
Posted Image
"Hey, paintcheck on that ref! I swear I got him!" BST Feedback

#4 shootout

shootout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

very good write up, i smell a sticky :lol:
SUPPORT GRASSROOTS!

thats when you pop a beautiful spiderweb of flourescent colored paint right on his brand new goggles then watch him stumble his way off the field

Posted Image

#5 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

nice jj, gotta admit during nvs(2010) i wished i had a vest for a camle back, gotta get a nice molle one for next year(or at least a vest better than my pos fixed one),
uk field list http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=122343 (work in progress) [Yankee Paintball] Mine's a little bigger then cute
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=146647 my mod app, help me help you(if you want if not then have a good day)

bit its a karnivor... only way to make it look good is to cut it up, lol

win

#6 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

nice jj, gotta admit during nvs(2010) i wished i had a vest for a camle back, gotta get a nice molle one for next year(or at least a vest better than my pos fixed one),

Yeah, i wouldn't dream of playing NvS without my vest loaded for bear.

#7 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

lol there are pics of me in a pod pack and it sucked, mind it helped with the semi warmth the day before
uk field list http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=122343 (work in progress) [Yankee Paintball] Mine's a little bigger then cute
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=146647 my mod app, help me help you(if you want if not then have a good day)

win

#8 Justus

Justus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Very nice write-up. I found the most interesting parts being WHY you place things on your vest where you do. I never would have thought of the necessity to put the camelbak straw over the left shoulder to make sure the valve doesn't get opened by shouldering your marker. That's thinking ahead.

#9 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Very nice write-up. I found the most interesting parts being WHY you place things on your vest where you do. I never would have thought of the necessity to put the camelbak straw over the left shoulder to make sure the valve doesn't get opened by shouldering your marker. That's thinking ahead.

Thank you. Before i got my vest in its current configuration (I'll post pictures of it later), i must have had it apart at least a dozen times to get it as convienient as possible. A lot of this stuff was learnt by playing in my rig and then finding out what worked and what didn't. For example, my swab, i used to put it through the loops on the side of my vest, before finding out putting through the ones on my shoulder allowed me to get it out and put it away far quicker.

#10 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:54 AM

Updated.

Edited by JJ GBR, 23 December 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#11 Mandoade

Mandoade

Woods for life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

Good job I use a Full Clip combo and one of the great things I love about that are that inside there is a pocket in the back for a water pouch. On warm days and 30 minute games that thing is a life saver and because there isn't much between me and it it also cools me down. Another thing you may want to put in there is that some of them you can also have integrated single mount slings like on a Full Clip or Valken that I know have one off the top of my head.

Edited by Mandoade, 23 December 2010 - 08:34 AM.

Founding member of Brew City Bomb Squad!

DM9 Sale!

CPX Legion member

#12 DruidicRifleman

DruidicRifleman

The Celtic Warrior who BBQ'd your village

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

you didn't include pattern 64 and Alice systems

Edited by DruidicRifleman, 23 December 2010 - 08:48 AM.

Current Set up SP1 with a Ninja 90/45 and Velocity And always rocking a Nerf sword
back Up A5 72/30 Pure energy JJ custom barrel

We Killed Humans FOR WE ARE BORG!!!!! RIP In the great PB field in the sky man YOU will BE MISSED!!

Posted Image

#13 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

^ They aren't tac vests, they are webbing rigs. A thread about those (and i have 0 experience with alice - more familiar with PLCE) would be another work in itself.

#14 oldnewb

oldnewb

always playing Devil's advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

I vote sticky. This is very informative for newer scenario players, and even I thought it was well thought out and written. I wouldn't hesitate to refer a newer player to this article any time.
Techpb Mike doesn't use Trojan Magnum extra large condoms 'cause he doesn't believe in underboring.

Techpb Mike doesn't hide behind cover. Instead, he shoots down incoming paintballs.

#15 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

I vote sticky. This is very informative for newer scenario players, and even I thought it was well thought out and written. I wouldn't hesitate to refer a newer player to this article any time.

Thanks very much.

Updated the MOLLE section with some more detail about it.

#16 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

two questions, what pockets can be ok on the front? as most vests i have looked at are full front so i dont whant wasted space i use 10 rounds quite a bit, and what about slung markers how do i accomadate them?

win

#17 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

two questions, what pockets can be ok on the front? as most vests i have looked at are full front so i dont whant wasted space i use 10 rounds quite a bit,

That really depends on how much time you spend on your stomach, and how tight you play your cover. Generally, anything that can take getting crushed - maps, swabs etc (ie, not paint, unless it's in really solid containers), can go on your front. Putting flat things on your front is always a winner, because chunky items will dig into you when you're laying on them. I would recommend against putting 140 round pods on the front however, as they will hinder your ability to crouch and bend your back.

and what about slung markers how do i accomadate them?

What kind of sling are you looking at? Whichever it is, put it over your vest, normally the loop goes over your right shoulder (if you're right handed). There are so many kinds of sling though, i'd need to know what you're using to give some decent info.

Edited by JJ GBR, 27 December 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#18 bricejevinn

bricejevinn

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

actually i have the rap4....the back is completely molle.....but i would recomend the Dreadnought flurry vest.....a little more comfortable but i also like to carry alot of paint on me and im pretty mobile so the flurry is a little more comfy....but its preferrence.....im selling my rap4 vest cuz im never gonna use it...but its a good vest just found somethign i like better;)
Willies Bunker!! "bricebunker"

#19 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

actually i have the rap4....the back is completely molle.....but i would recomend the Dreadnought flurry vest.....a little more comfortable but i also like to carry alot of paint on me and im pretty mobile so the flurry is a little more comfy....but its preferrence.....im selling my rap4 vest cuz im never gonna use it...but its a good vest just found somethign i like better;)

Yeah i've heard good things about the flurry - i'm not going to include my opinions on various vests though, because i've only used a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things. There are several makes of flurry clones over here, but i don't really like the design - too much stuff on the front.

#20 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

the sling will depend on what i can afford after a kba and pgp+ pnue's(cocker ones for a lil project) and a "raincover"

win

#21 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Kabar as in the pointy variety?

What marker are you using, i can recommend slings?

#22 Algae

Algae

megasuperawesomelazerbeam railgunofepicdoomandstuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Don't own a vest. Never plan on owning a vest.

Nevertheless an awesome write up :tup:

Algae's Feedback

Empire Axe Overview

First post? Awesome, but if the OP is asking a question, that's just being an ass

#23 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Kabar as in the pointy variety?

What marker are you using, i can recommend slings?

ill be useing a woodstocked pump, about all i can realy tell atm, (moneys=tight so one idea maybe shelved)

win

#24 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

Main reason I wear a vest is protection from sharp objects in the woods. I know my vest saved me from acouple hospital trips over the years.

#25 Mzee

Mzee

Paintball Magnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Another item to consider for all day scenarios is a small first aid kit. I carry some band aids of various sizes, in case of small cuts/scratches that can be dealt with in the field. An elastic bandage to wrap a sprained ankle, to help get me or someone else off the field and/or to continue play. A sanitary pad in case I need to stop some major bleeding until medical help arrives. Most events have qualified medical help available. I carry just enough to fix the little things or to buy some time on the major things until help arrives.

I usually take one on the rare occasion when I play at a local outlaw field. Never had to use it, but it might come in handy some day.
Er du tokig? >B-D

#26 Avid Gamer360

Avid Gamer360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Nice write up!
I wish this came out when i started playing! I wear a BT static best and it feels like a pod pack but more rigid. I feel bad for woods-ballers who don't see the potential in a decent vest.
Proto Matrix Rail 2010
Clear Dust
Lookin' sexy for 2011!

#27 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Another item to consider for all day scenarios is a small first aid kit.

Mmm, i've thought about this before. The way i see it, the only injuries requiring immediate treatment are life-threatening (small cuts etc can often wait). Massive blood loss is unlikely on the field, and if it does occur, then pressure's going on it with whatever i have to hand (probably my fist).

Sprains/broken limbs often require you just to get the person to the ambulance - a bandage is going to make little difference, and probably cause more pain than benefit. As for broken legs, i woudn't dream of moving the casualty, i would wait for the medics to get them out, and make them as comfy as possible in the meantime. If a sling is needed for a broken arm/collar bone, then i can easily enough improvise one with some clothing or gun sling.

The only serious threat i can think of is an anaphylactic reaction, but i can hardly go round sticking epipens into people - i can only ever help them administer their own (i'm a qualified lifeguard, and have a few other first aid quals as well). And also asthmatic attacks, but again it's no good my carrying round an inhaler, just in case.

I can understand the benefit of carrying one if you play at an outlaw field however, where no medical help other than yourselves is immediately available.

Nice write up!
I wish this came out when i started playing! I wear a BT static best and it feels like a pod pack but more rigid. I feel bad for woods-ballers who don't see the potential in a decent vest.

Thanks, yeah i considering getting the static vest, though i thought it may limit me on the amount of pouches i could attach. I do like the way that everything is behind you though.

#28 Ice

Ice

Old, Bold, and on Hold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

Another item to consider for all day scenarios is a small first aid kit.

Mmm, i've thought about this before. The way i see it, the only injuries requiring immediate treatment are life-threatening (small cuts etc can often wait). Massive blood loss is unlikely on the field, and if it does occur, then pressure's going on it with whatever i have to hand (probably my fist).

Sprains/broken limbs often require you just to get the person to the ambulance - a bandage is going to make little difference, and probably cause more pain than benefit. As for broken legs, i woudn't dream of moving the casualty, i would wait for the medics to get them out, and make them as comfy as possible in the meantime. If a sling is needed for a broken arm/collar bone, then i can easily enough improvise one with some clothing or gun sling.

The only serious threat i can think of is an anaphylactic reaction, but i can hardly go round sticking epipens into people - i can only ever help them administer their own (i'm a qualified lifeguard, and have a few other first aid quals as well). And also asthmatic attacks, but again it's no good my carrying round an inhaler, just in case.

I can understand the benefit of carrying one if you play at an outlaw field however, where no medical help other than yourselves is immediately available.

Nice write up!

Thanks, yeah i considering getting the static vest, though i thought it may limit me on the amount of pouches i could attach. I do like the way that everything is behind you though.

People are bound to get a few scrapes. If you get a good bleeder, you need to put some antiseptic on it and wrap it so it doesn't get infected. Any paintball that breaks the skin should be treated with antiseptic too especially if you plan to continue playing (which you will unless you're a complete wuss). A little neosporin + a bandage to keep it clean will do you wonders. If an open wound gets dirty you're asking for a serious infection. But it's not like every player needs to have that stuff with them. IMO the refs should have it, and they do at the field I play at.
Posted Image
One of my hydrographed guns. If you want that for your gun, send me a PM and I'll help you out. Or click here for my thread about it.

Now get off my damn lawn, whippersnapper.

#29 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Well it varies form person to person, but just because you have an open wound (especially a small one you will be able to play through), doeesn't mean an infection is inevitable. I do commend people who carry first aid kits though - however, i would never expect treatment for a non-serious wound off someone else, it would surprise me if someone offered.

#30 Ice

Ice

Old, Bold, and on Hold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well it varies form person to person, but just because you have an open wound (especially a small one you will be able to play through), doeesn't mean an infection is inevitable. I do commend people who carry first aid kits though - however, i would never expect treatment for a non-serious wound off someone else, it would surprise me if someone offered.

Agree. I'm not talking about little scrapes, just anything that bleeds and keeps bleeding. If it needs a scab to stop the bleeding, then it needs to be cleaned and have a bandage first. That's all.

Just a question for you guys... at my local field they have required that refs carry a small first aid kit. Do any other fields require that? I'd rather the ref carry it than players, because if you depend on players having a bandage who are you gonna call for when you get sliced? How do you know which players are carrying? Just makes more sense that you can call for a ref.
Posted Image
One of my hydrographed guns. If you want that for your gun, send me a PM and I'll help you out. Or click here for my thread about it.

Now get off my damn lawn, whippersnapper.

#31 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

All the refs at one of my field have to have first aid training, though i would put money on myself being trained to higher standard. I don't believe they carry first aid kits on the field though, but then we're never more than a km from the safe zone.

#32 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

All the refs at one of my field have to have first aid training, though i would put money on myself being trained to higher standard. I don't believe they carry first aid kits on the field though, but then we're never more than a km from the safe zone.

every ref at mine has a first aid kit on them(just plasters that sorta thing you know) but it help re assues you

win

#33 ibeatu85x

ibeatu85x

Educated Newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

ya know, i think this should be a sticky. :lol:
---
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

#34 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

ya know, i think this should be a sticky. Posted Image

Thank you, very much sir.

#35 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Bumping this to bring it to the attention of all those about to ask vest questions before LL4.

Mods, i wasn't going to ask, but could i please get a sticky on this?

#36 Blarg

Blarg

"\_(ಠ_ಠ)_/"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

This needs to get stickied
Posted Image

#37 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

This needs to get stickied

Damn straight bro.

#38 Mr.V

Mr.V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

anyone here heared about the SPM Liberec tactical vest for the czech army ?
I use it (besides my Low Profile Plate Carrier) a lot, because it has horizontal/vertical molle webbing (you can put your pouches in both directions without adapters)
it is a true mil grade equipment (costs are about 4000czk == 200usd) but it has lifetime warranty on it nad is truly a piece of gear you never need to replace.

http://www.spm-liber...e-xl-92210.html

Edited by Mr.V, 26 January 2011 - 09:53 AM.

#39 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

That's quite a cool system, though the spacing of the webbing looks like it could cause problems for some pouches - it looks like 1.5 inches vertical between each tier, as opposed to the normal 1 inch.

#40 Mr.V

Mr.V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

That's quite a cool system, though the spacing of the webbing looks like it could cause problems for some pouches - it looks like 1.5 inches vertical between each tier, as opposed to the normal 1 inch.

no problem with any pouches at all (besides it is used in afganistan for a loong time by our military), we use it a lot, with various pouches, original army made, chinese maid, RAP4 shitty pouches, etc.

it is really good for the prize (there are more expensive ones, with special threads) and are the next generation of such systems, but for 3 times the prize.

and a cool thing about it (beside that you can put real steel plates into it :P and it works well) - you can make a chest rig out of it easily (kind of cool :-).

#41 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

It sounds good, i'm really quite keen on modularity - changing from a vest to a chest rig is an excellent system. It's one of the things that appealed to me about molle rigs; there are an infinite number of possible configurations.

#42 PBnerd

PBnerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

Can anyone recommend a cheaper modular vest to me? Ive been lookin for one but idk what to get.
OUR POWER LEVEL IS >9000!!!!!!!!!!

#43 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Provided you live in the states, head over to cheaperthandirt.com . You lucky swine get all the cheap gear.

#44 Mr.V

Mr.V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

Can anyone recommend a cheaper modular vest to me? Ive been lookin for one but idk what to get.

could you be a little bit more specific - what kind of vest besides the "molle" property - a light one (Low Profile), a heavy one (for a support role), one with the RICAS/CIRAS abillity (I like those), a mesh one, a plated one? just be more specific or give us a picture :-)

#45 wilko

wilko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Having read through this thread with great interest, I find one thing that I think can be improved upon: the radio.

Personally, I use a radio almost every game, both on walk on days and during big games. Most of my team do the same.
By putting a head set on a radio, you get several advantages, one of which is being able to whisper to one another without the loud noise of either voice or radio giving away your position (great for ambushes).
Also, since a head set means using wires and either VOX or a PTT button, the position of a radio on a vest is then less important.

I still agree wholeheartedly with your reasons for putting them on the opposite shoulder from the main gun side, but I deliberately put my radio with the screen and buttons on the inside, to protect it from hits. I have had one Cobra radio whose mode button died after a direct paintball hit: since then I have bought a more sturdy "professional" radio, but I still put that with screen and button side to my chest for protection.
--
My YT-channel with about one hundred woodsball video's: Wilko's Youtube channel
Most are FPS with maps indicating player positions, some are in two-player perspective. Also several paintball "How to" and review clips.

#46 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

I said to put the radio screen facing towards your body; I didn't mention headsets though, i may change that.

#47 Mr.V

Mr.V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

Radios and hits - they tend to attract them.

anyway, we done this at our team by making a special pouch - it is a little bit larger then the radio and is double layered. into the inbetween space - you can put plastic, cardboard, whatever to protect the radio. we made a plastic cover that copies the shape of the radio. the downside is that you cant opperate the buttons...but a friend of mine is working on a cover version with "buttons" which align with the radio.

#48 wilko

wilko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:52 AM

Radios and hits - they tend to attract them.

anyway, we done this at our team by making a special pouch - it is a little bit larger then the radio and is double layered. into the inbetween space - you can put plastic, cardboard, whatever to protect the radio. we made a plastic cover that copies the shape of the radio. the downside is that you cant opperate the buttons...but a friend of mine is working on a cover version with "buttons" which align with the radio.

You can circumvent the button-issue by simply adding a head set. A normal motor-helmet set (built mine into my mask) usually has a PTT button with a long cord that you can put through your sleeve so that the button is in your hand. Personally I tend to put the velcro'd loop that is on that button around a finger, so that it faces towards the inside. That way I can push the button to send, even if I'm shooting, and there is virtually no risk that the PTT button gets hit either (unlike other positions, like on the front of your vest...).
--
My YT-channel with about one hundred woodsball video's: Wilko's Youtube channel
Most are FPS with maps indicating player positions, some are in two-player perspective. Also several paintball "How to" and review clips.

#49 DruidicRifleman

DruidicRifleman

The Celtic Warrior who BBQ'd your village

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

I am looking for a radio pouch in cadpat it's going to go On the back of my vest So it's out of the way when i am fighting and have the PTT button near my hydration house.

Molle is the way to go
Current Set up SP1 with a Ninja 90/45 and Velocity And always rocking a Nerf sword
back Up A5 72/30 Pure energy JJ custom barrel

We Killed Humans FOR WE ARE BORG!!!!! RIP In the great PB field in the sky man YOU will BE MISSED!!

Posted Image

#50 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Check Rap4, they make pretty solid pouches in just about every cam pattern going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users