• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

So i went snowboarding with this girl today and i tried to teach her how to snowboard but I'm just not a good teacher. Help me because we want to go again but if we went with my friends we would get ditched sooo fast.

I don't know how much you guys could help me out but if you were teaching some one to snowboard what tips would you give them lol? :lol:

Thanks!

#2 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Tell her to think of an S shape, and try to make that line in the snow. If she rides regular, back leaning towards the hill going left, front leaning towards the hill going right. If she rides goofy, back towards hill going right, front towards hill going left.

She can do this going in a mostly straight line, but she has to cut into the snow with either her heels or toes, otherwise she will lose balance as the board slips out from underneath her. It depends on how she rides as to how she should cut in.

For instance, I ride goofy. As I turn right, I cut in with my heels, as I turn left, I cut in with my toes.

It just comes down to practice/physics knowledge.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#3 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for replying and i've tried pretty much everything except for the S shape idea. Maybe that will help.

Thanks a lot, everything helps! :)

#4 BillNyePBGuy

BillNyePBGuy

If you dont get it, you're Sofa Kingdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

the biggest thing ive seen when teaching someone is that they forget to lean. they try to point the board, but end up catching an edge. Really, you just have to stick with her and keep her confidence up.

Is this a girl you like? because you would get total brownie points if your friends ditched you and you stayed with her. Just sayin.
My Sale Thread: Tank, Ion, Automag, Ion Virtue, T2W, Remote Coil

Check out Pimped Out Paintball for used markers, hoppers, other equipment and maintenance services! Our tech has been in paintball forever and knows his stuff! If you have any questions about the site please feel free to call the listed number!

#5 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Oh yeah the leaning is something i over looked :rolleyes:

And that's a very good point ;)

#6 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

Another tip.. Have her watch Out Cold. Its a comedy about snow boarders, very funny, great movie. But there are a lot of scenes that she can watch to help her figure out what she SHOULD be doing. ;)

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Check out my Ebay sales!

#7 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Another tip.. Have her watch Out Cold. Its a comedy about snow boarders, very funny, great movie. But there are a lot of scenes that she can watch to help her figure out what she SHOULD be doing. ;)

Oh okay sounds good! :lol:

#8 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Well, I usually start by having the person stand on the snow behind the board, I then work on basic stance and getting up from your butt, ( dig your heels in and rock your weight forward, into a crouch position, then up) Same motion from frontside facing the snow,

Once they have the basic movement without the board, applying it is easy. You can stand infront of them and let them use your body as a "wall" to prevent them from falling face first if they over lean.

Once they are on the snow and up, move to controlling how fast you "stop" down the hill, less angle and you start to slide, more weight on the heels and you stop.

After that, quickly move to the "zig zag" or sliding down the hill moving left, stopping. and sliding right. ( or the S shape)

After sliding, incorporate moving the board with the hill rather then against, it. This of course works its way into "turning" left and right, ( or basically starting to slide left or right by moving the angle and your heel)

Once you have forward motion down, move right into carving, and of course a Crash course in riding switch.

Thats How I usually teach my friends.

Next up im getting her on a box, then onto a few small jumps!

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#9 ikillbumz

ikillbumz

BRUD FOR DUH BRUD GOD!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

no first thing you want to do, bring her to the bunny slope

have her go down the bunny hill on her heel edge do that for 5-10 runs until shes comfortable on her heel edge,
do the same thing with her toe edge,
then have her practice on linking her turns ( going from heel side to toe side)
do what i said and she will be riding down the mtn by the end of the day
Posted Image
+8/0/0 B/S/T
Beast mode [ON] OFF

#10 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

no first thing you want to do, bring her to the bunny slope

have her go down the bunny hill on her heel edge do that for 5-10 runs until shes comfortable on her heel edge,
do the same thing with her toe edge,
then have her practice on linking her turns ( going from heel side to toe side)
do what i said and she will be riding down the mtn by the end of the day

Yea.... you practise the Slide on the heel edge ( her facing down hill) then the toe edge after.

People understand it better when you say sliding down the hill, or stopping down the hill.

Telling the newbie to go downhill on his heel edge is like telling the renter to run to the 30 dorito. Not going to fully translate.

we said the same thing, different terms.

Citrus Connection

#11 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

while were on the subject, do you guys have any tips of getting off the lift? I am absolutely terrible at it.

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#12 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

while were on the subject, do you guys have any tips of getting off the lift? I am absolutely terrible at it.

While coming up to the drop off keep your nose up. Then once you get to the off ramp keep your foot on your stomp pad or pressed against your back binding bend your knees a bit and use your back hand to push off from the chair. That's the best way i can explain it.

Also I went riding with her today and she has her heel edge down i just cant get her to go onto her toe edge. Any tips? I told her to let her ankles kind of rest against the front of her boots and it kind of helped. Any other tips would really help us out!

And i watched part of out cold that movie is hilarious! Going to finish it tonight!

#13 Dak-Attack

Dak-Attack

Likes Puppies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Isn't there a way to tell which leg is dominant? Like pushing her and seeing which leg goes back first to see if she rides goofy foot or something? A friend of mine told me a thing like that when he tried it. I'm curious about this because I'm going up north in a few weeks and they want to let us ski or snowboard up there.

(Out Cold is freakin' hilarious. I love the car, hot tub and polar bear scenes.)

Edited by Dak-Attack, 28 December 2010 - 08:59 PM.

#14 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Isn't there a way to tell which leg is dominant? Like pushing her and seeing which leg goes back first to see if she rides goofy foot or something? A friend of mine told me a thing like that when he tried it. I'm curious about this because I'm going up north in a few weeks and they want to let us ski or snowboard up there.

(Out Cold is freakin' hilarious. I love the car, hot tub and polar bear scenes.)

Ya i might try that leg trick thing.

Those scenes are great!
Also while boarding today i saw some guy that looked just like the fat ginger with the beard lol (no offense to any gingers)

-edit-

Out cold was probably one of the best movies i've ever seen haha!

Edited by rider700, 28 December 2010 - 09:50 PM.

#15 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

To get her on her toe edge: get behind her, grab onto the back of her jacket, and push her forward slightly. Just make sure you hold onto her so she doesnt face plant in the snow.. :rolleyes:

To figure out if she rides goofy/regular, stick her on the board on some carpet, and start pushing her forward. Ask her which way feels more comfortable. Or use a skateboard and do the same thing. Much easier.

As for Out Cold - Youre welcome. :P

Check out my Ebay sales!

#16 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Also i heard you can have the person run and jump and slide on there boots as if they were on a snowboard and whichever foot they put forward should be there forward foot. Would that work?

Haha thanks, out cold was great!

#17 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

RIP Borg. Never forgotten.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

A pommer/button lift? Take the shaft (snigger) out form between your legs a few metres before you get the end of the lift. Hang on you it (with your lead arm), and let it drag you the last bit. Make sure you're over the knuckle when you let go. Removing the shaft before you get to the top means you're not in as much of a rush when you need to let - as all you need to do in this method is let go with your hand at the right moment.

#18 rider700

rider700

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

A pommer/button lift? Take the shaft (snigger) out form between your legs a few metres before you get the end of the lift. Hang on you it (with your lead arm), and let it drag you the last bit. Make sure you're over the knuckle when you let go. Removing the shaft before you get to the top means you're not in as much of a rush when you need to let - as all you need to do in this method is let go with your hand at the right moment.

That was the most confusing thing i have ever read :blink: Maybe it's just me but i didn't understand that at all.

#19 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

RIP Borg. Never forgotten.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Basically, before you get to the end of the lift, remove the seat bit from between your legs, hang on to it for the last few metres with your hand. Saves you from rushing to get it out when you're right at the top.

#20 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Once you have the bar up, re-adjust yourself so your kinda sitting sideways, Makes it MUCH easier to let the board land flat on the snow knuckle, and then you just (like stated before) push your un-binded boot into the side of the binding, and go strait for a bit, then stop or turn.

As for toe edge. you can get comfortable doing so by sliding ( or i guess stopping down the hill with her back facing the bottom,) work on moving left and then right a bit, then try doing toe to heel conversions, ie your moving down the hill on your toe edge then go to flat, then move to the heel edge,

( you will end up moving down the hill in a "C" shape, with your body facing outside of the center, then reverse it, go from heel to toe, ( thus the backwards "C")

once you connect them you have a "S" shape.

Yay

Citrus Connection

#21 brokeballr14

brokeballr14

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

just don't tell her "pizza, french-fry" because that will just confuse her :P :P but one thing that helped be is when making a heelside turn, bending my knees. when going fast, I pretty much sit down on an invisible chair :D
THE GAME

#22 dking08

dking08

"We bout to get drunk off PANCAKES"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Get her to try the turns with only her front foot strapped in.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users