32 replies to this topic

#1 squire

squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

Statement from PSP’s Lane Wright

My name is Lane Wright. Some of you will recognize me as “the guy who runs PSP”. More specifically, I am the Chief Operating Officer for PSP Events, LLC. I am also a partner in the corporation. So, in layman terms, I am one of the owners of PSP and the guy who runs the day-to-day operations of the company.

Lots of you may not realize that I got into paintball as a player. No matter what level of player you may be within this game, I was once just like you. I played recreationally. I played on a scenario team. I played local tournaments in the beginning. I worked my way through the ranks of tournament play from the bottom to eventually playing on professional teams and traveling the world competing at the highest level. I’ve served as coach and organizer for a local team of kids and was the captain of one of the greatest pro teams in the sport.

I also ran local events of all kinds, regional tournaments, and International tournaments. I’ve owned stores, small fields, large fields, worked in the manufacturing side of the industry, etc. I came into the position that led to my running PSP through my work as one of the players selected by my peers to represent them in talks with the owners of the events about how the league was being run. In other words, I was one of the representatives selected by the players in the NPPL to do battle with the PSP. I was there to tell them how to run the events from the players’ point of view. As I listened and learned what actually went on to make the events happen, I realized I could do more good from the inside than from the outside.

This isn’t about my life story. But I do believe some history is worth mentioning so people can see who it is that makes the decisions that take this company and league forward.

Today – and this is what matters – I work day in and day out to assure PSP Events, LLC functions to the best of its abilities at running paintball competitions throughout the United States. That includes overseeing the venues, rules, formats, classifications, structure, scheduling, etc. I also have to consider the economic situation within which we operate these events. There is a business that needs to function in order for any of the aforementioned to take place.

I believe that PSP has facilitated the operational side of the tournaments quite well. Based on the feedback we receive from changes we have implemented, it seems the players are so satisfied with the current product, that they want no change. That is a positive. But it is only one side of the issue.

The other side of the issue is the business that has to function behind, or along side, the events.

As everyone is aware, the economy is abysmal. All indicators are that the best-case scenario is a slow and painful path back to recovery. PSP is caught in this phenomenon with everyone else.

While most of you seem to be appreciative of the way the tournaments have been run, I have to take the current state of PSP’s financial situation, and the predictable future financial situation into consideration on a daily basis. Without a sound financial plan in place, the events cannot and will not continue to happen.

Every business runs with some set of financial considerations. Those considerations consist of two basic parts – income and expense. Obviously, when expense exceeds income, the business either adapts or dies.

PSP’s income has dropped for 5 consecutive years. I have adjusted our expenses, to the best of my ability, accordingly.

PSP’s income will drop again in 2011. It will drop significantly.

PSP’s income has always come from 2 sources – the players and the industry.

The economy has taken a toll on the player’s wallet. The economy has devastated the industry’s financial situation. Both of which bode poorly for PSP’s ability to maintain a solvent business. And a solvent business is absolutely pertinent to PSP running the events.

I cannot fix the economy. I cannot fix the industry. I cannot fix the current players financial situation.

I take the projected costs of running PSP for 2011 as the starting point for my business plan. I subtract the amount of money that I can reasonably expect from the ailing industry. The balance is the amount of money needed from the teams/players. If I take that number and divide it by the number of teams I can expect to attend the events – it simply is an unreasonable expectation to believe those teams can pay that amount of money.

That is the reality of the dilemma PSP is faced with, and the dilemma that you as players are faced with – whether you see it or believe it or not.

I cannot get more money from the industry. It doesn’t exist. I don’t believe there is a lot more money that can come from the teams. I have cut costs to the point that any additional cost cutting would jeopardize the ability of the company to provide even reasonably sufficient events for the people who pay to be there.

The only reasonable option I see is to try to increase the appeal of our events to a greater number of people. This will make them more willing to contribute entry fees into the event.

That’s what I am trying to do.

As I said earlier, our attendance has dropped over the past few years. Some of that has to do with the economy. Some of that has to do with the way we have structured the format.

There is little that I can do with the economy and it’s impact on teams. But I can try to make it so that some teams can feel they have a reasonable expectation of being competitive while spending a little less money in the process. I believe that not having the event specific layout available months prior to the tournament will allow teams who do not have the financial ability to run full on scrimmages 5 times before an event feel more likely to be at least competitive enough to attend.

At the same time, the teams who have been attending 1 event in a season may now enter 2 events in a season as the cost of practice will lessen being there is no means or reason to shoot tons of paint at another team in 5 full on scrimmages on the layout. Teams can just go practice paintball.

There are also people who have stopped playing our events because of the physical demands of the format. I’m not willing to completely undo what we have created. Again, I believe that we provide the format that gives the best team the best chance at winning the events. Obviously, a lot of you feel the same way too. The problem is that there are not enough of us who feel that way to pay for it to be that way. We need help.

I am trying to compromise in order to get that help.

Lengthening the fields and adjusting the bunker placement are efforts to give a wider variety of people a sense that they can now be a little more competitive. This is in hopes that they will once again start to make the choice to attend the events. We had all shapes, sizes, and ages in the events 10 years ago. Changes were made and these made people stop coming. At this point, I’m not willing to make wholesale changes back to 1999. I like what we do today. But, if I want to keep what we are doing alive, I see the need to compromise. We need some of those people back in the sport at this level to sustain it.

There are people who hold the good ol’ days of paintball near and dear to their heart. Nostalgia is a prevalent “emotion” in all sports. It was awesome for us. Today seems awesome for some of you. The difference is that back then – the game thrived. Today the sport is not only not thriving; it’s not even stagnant. It is absolutely in decline. And to put it bluntly, in it’s current position it isn’t sustainable. There are simply not enough people willing to play in the current format to pay the cost of having the events.

I do not agree entirely with the mentality that coaching and crowd participation has taken the skill out of the game. I see people play with coaching and can easily recognize those with skill sets beyond others still win. PERIOD. Even with that said, there is an aspect of the format that we play that keeps others from feeling their skill set – the mental capacity to read an opponents and adjust accordingly – is no longer tangible. I see that as well. We need those people to come back into this sport. Those people, by and large, are a little older, a little slower, and possibly a little less fit. They have learned to use their mind where their body can’t get the job done. They are out there. They played before. They enjoyed it. We need them back. And, again, by in large, these are the types of people who have money to contribute. I am not willing to completely upend the competitive integrity of the format to include them. But, I do see the need to try to adjust some of the things we are doing to get some of them back into our sport. We do need those players.

Taking pit side coaching out of the format will allow some of the people opposed to the format to see a way to get back in. It will be an adjustment for those who are used to having it. PSP will be considerate of that adjustment period. The best teams will win. The best players will shine. The tournaments will still be entertaining, fun, and competitive.

Tournament paintball has been around longer than most of our current players have been alive. It flourished on huge fields, with no coaching, and before anyone ever heard of a layout.

Teams practiced. Fields not only survived; they grew exponentially. Good teams became great teams. Players practiced and got better. Great players developed and became recognized for their talents. Everything players should want today has happened forever and will continue to happen, so long as there is a means for paying for it to happen.

That’s all I am trying to do. I am trying to find a way to pay for these events. The industry is no longer willing or able to subsidize the entry fees with the money needed to make these events happen. The current player doesn’t have the money to contribute to make up for the loss of industry money we are experiencing. I am trying to get more people to see this as a viable source of entertainment worthy of their contribution so that we can stay around.

Some of you see this as taking steps backwards. So be it. I don’t agree. But even if I did, I see nothing wrong with taking a step back to sustain ourselves so that we live to have a chance to eventually go forward again. Hopefully, we will do just that. As long as I’m making the decisions here, I intend to go forward with the best of intentions for the sport and the players in mind. I intend to use the experiences of the past to not repeat mistakes. I intend to look at the reality of what we are faced with and make the correct adjustments. I intend to give the sport the best opportunity to be all it can be. Just as I have been doing, just as I am doing today. It won’t always be easy. It won’t always please everyone. No different than in the past and no different than it is today.

Paintball as you know it today has evolved. In the ideal world there would be thousands of teams clamoring for the chance to play at the national level. This would allow the subsequently thriving industry to be in the position to kick in the big bucks PSP would be able to charge them. Such a world could attract outside money to subsidize event costs. And the costs associated with playing at the top would be minimal for the teams as they would be the stars of the sport. But the reality of the matter is this simply isn’t the case. Chasing that dream, while noble and enchanting, is simply not prudent today. I’m not letting go of the goal. I’m simply realizing that we have to survive today if we ever hope to achieve it in the future. Survival today means we need to open up the revenue stream to more people. To do that – changes have to be made.

Right now, there are things that inhibit lots of people who are competitive by nature and who like the sport of paintball from coming into the PSP. There are others that the nature of the current format chew them up and spit them out. I am trying to change that while having the least amount of negative impact possible. It is my sincere hope that all of you as players and supporters of the PSP will give these changes time to take effect and in the meantime will continue to support and enjoy competing in the PSP.

#2 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

personally I think they are looking in the wrong direction, but it's not my business to run. The ultimate question is whether or not they provide the "value" to the players, that is required to justify the massive costs they charge of competing in their league.

When a custom spends $1,000, they expect to get $1,000 in value in return. If you provide more value, your business grows. If you provide less value, your business shrinks. Players who have entered the PSP in the past, are not getting the "value" for their money and are simply making the decision not to return.

Let's talk about the tradeshow - a 10x10 pop-up tent costs about $2,000 to have at the PSP. TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! It costs $1500 for the 10x10 space, $250 for insurance, and another $150+ dollars for the basic power package.

The average margin in paintball is about 25%, meaning you would have to sell $10,000+ in products out of your little 10x10 booth!!! TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN PRODUCT DOESN'T FIT INTO A 10x10 BOOTH!!!!!!!!!

Look in 2004, 2005 & 2006, where were the refs? Laying down on the field, ready to pounce at a moments notice when a player was out. Where are the refs today? Asses pressed against the net. Get hit? That's a penalty. Ask for a paint check? That's a penalty. Get hit diving into a bunker? Penalty

And considering the most common penalty pulled is a MAJOR, it's basically a forfeited game!

In the past 2 years, we have had no less than 4 major penalties pulled on my team, per event, and nearly every single one happened off the break.

Game starts.... and it's over.... wait what happened? My corner player took one in the pack diving into his bunker, 2 for 1 games over......

The problem is value, paintball players have realized that there are much better ways to spend $800 (per player.. not per team) than going to a PSP event. I've been playing World Cup pretty consistently since about 1994, I'm a consumer and a customer of the PSP. I can't think of the last time I've gotten my "money's worth" out of playing a PSP event. I'm not talking about grand prizes because I've never won any, I'm talking on-the-field experience, trade show, just the whole muffin basket.

PSP is starting to understand that while they are the premier "super league", they still have competition, and they are fighting for those hard earned dollars just like any other tournament event / scenario game / big game etc.

They had the customers and the customers didn't come back (both industry and players). That's the issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion. Spending the hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars to compete in the PSP isn't enticing enough for the overwhelming majority of players. Solve that problem, and you've got a profitable business again

#3 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

i almost see this as a "trickle up" of teh age old problem of tournament teams at local feilds now reaching the top of paintball.

we have all seen these kinds of feilds ... feilds which the local tourament team is sponsored and they demand discounted everything and they force there format on everyon else, and pretty soon the feild closes, or the feild is forced to raise prices and then the torunament teams all leave to go to a different feild and demand discounts. why? because the tourament teams forced out all the renters and recballers who subsidize there discoutns away, and once they are gone, a feild can no longer afford to give them anything.

the same thing has happened in the PSP. events were heavily subsized by the industry. not only direct funding of the league, but think of every team there ... mostly shootign discounted paint, with gear they got for a discount from there store, and they practiced at a discount at some local feild. the rules slowly forced out those who cannot afford to shoot skids of paint, and practice weekly, and travel at great cost. and so since the league is now running out of money, they are forced to raise prices, which drives the players away ...

so i get what lane is talking about.

im very interested to see what happens to the PSP. i think national events might die out completely, replaced by regional and local events with possibly a world cup event for regional winners to attend.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#4 lashcoin

lashcoin

Chicken in the coop!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

I agree that PSP has competition. I don't play in tournements, mostly because of cost including travel and hotels, but when I see businesses and corporations hit the tank it tells me that it's time for change. While I don't agree with PSP's rule changes from an outsider, I can see the fields appealing to larger players, like myself. Unfortunatley, that is becoming America's image; overweight. PSP adjusting to fit the gap is good and is attractive to the newer player.

With PSP not releasing field layouts makes for a more interesting game. Teams without field PSP access will have a better chance at winning. That's the whole point of field walking.

As Mike said with refs, I completley agree. Ref's aren't as leanent as they were before. Local fields also have this problem. I hate to say it, but a lot of people in Paintball don't have credentials. Some people do, but a lot of the people on the field do not. But, alas that's what makes paintball great. You don't have to be a pro to play in front of an audience. You can be an average joe.

My thoughts on PSP.
Posted Image
Purple CCI T-Stock
My Feedback 9/0/0
MAH GUNZ: Purple People Eater (CCI Phantom)
"A bag a day keeps the electro's away!"

#5 Justbunkeredyou

Justbunkeredyou

That one airballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

The average margin in paintball is about 25%, meaning you would have to sell $10,000+ in products out of your little 10x10 booth!!! TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN PRODUCT DOESN'T FIT INTO A 10x10 BOOTH!!!!!!!!!

That.

#6 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Dunno how to react to this... Imo he could've basically said "I know what I'm doing, fuck off. It's this or no PSP."

#7 spisla

spisla

I made Mr. Rogers eat paint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Dunno how to react to this... Imo he could've basically said "I know what I'm doing, fuck off. It's this or no PSP."

OP should edit this into TL;DR
Posted Image

If you see someone pulling that here hit the report button and I'll teabag them =)

NorthWest Ballers club. TechPB feedback

#8 Patience

Patience

I <3 allen wrenches

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'd love to see players treated like gold. My local field sponsors a team that treats people like crap once they get on the field. The big events have changed the teams which in turn affect the "lower" players. Paintball needs to get out of this "Holier Than Thou" attitude or else none of the laypersons will want to play.

And by the way, how is NPPL doing?
"I'll only shoot you once because you are only worth 3 cents to me" - Patience

#9 oldnewb

oldnewb

always playing Devil's advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Seriously? $1000 per player? Wow.

I've personally never attended a major speedball tournament, but as a rec player, I can see how people might rather spend their money attending some big scenario event rather than a tournament you might get booted from in the first round. As a rec player, I would rather spend what little money and time away from the family that I have, attending D-Day, or Living Legends, or battling around a castle with Blue's Crew. I don't have the massive ego telling me that I'm the best paintball player in the world, and that I need a trophy to prove it though. I'd just rather have a fun time, playing as hard as I can but not killing myself at the same time, with other people just looking to have fun (and not cheat like crazy).
Techpb Mike doesn't use Trojan Magnum extra large condoms 'cause he doesn't believe in underboring.

Techpb Mike doesn't hide behind cover. Instead, he shoots down incoming paintballs.

#10 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

I've personally never attended a major speedball tournament, but as a rec player, I can see how people might rather spend their money attending some big scenario event rather than a tournament you might get booted from in the first round.

You play a ton of preliminary rounds which make up most of your time. Say you play 6 matches, in RaceTo5. 5-3, 5-2, 5-4, 5-0, 5-1, 5-4. That's 44 points if I'm correct. It's not just one game, you lose, you're done.

#11 Big Walt

Big Walt

Ow Now Brown Cow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

I've personally never attended a major speedball tournament, but as a rec player, I can see how people might rather spend their money attending some big scenario event rather than a tournament you might get booted from in the first round.

You play a ton of preliminary rounds which make up most of your time. Say you play 6 matches, in RaceTo5. 5-3, 5-2, 5-4, 5-0, 5-1, 5-4. That's 44 points if I'm correct. It's not just one game, you lose, you're done.

Yes but you aren't guaranteed to move on. In Scenario, you get hit, you're knocked out for like 25 minutes? then back in. And then there is the entire next couple of days to play. Tounry's are basically playoffs from day 1.

i dont shoot them, i greet them in the nude and invite them into my house to talk about jesus.

Feedback 1/0/0

Ball out til you fall out

#12 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

I've personally never attended a major speedball tournament, but as a rec player, I can see how people might rather spend their money attending some big scenario event rather than a tournament you might get booted from in the first round. As a rec player, I would rather spend what little money and time away from the family that I have, attending D-Day, or Living Legends, or battling around a castle with Blue's Crew. I don't have the massive ego telling me that I'm the best paintball player in the world, and that I need a trophy to prove it though. I'd just rather have a fun time, playing as hard as I can but not killing myself at the same time, with other people just looking to have fun (and not cheat like crazy).

Let's pretend I want to play PSP Phoenix-

Entry $250
Paint - $200 (4 cases @ $50 a case)
Flight - $350
Rental Car - $150
Hotel - $200
ID Card - $50
Food - $100

This of course doesn't count the amount of money spent, practicing for the event. Let assume I did 5 practice weekends to prepare for the event-

Entry $20 x 5 = $100
Paint (2 cases per practice @ $50 x 5) = $500

When I played the entire 2009 PSP Season, I EASILY spent over $10,000 playing and preparing for the events, and that was for D3 5man

Sure, you might be able to skim a little here, save a couple bucks there, but as you can see above it's easily $1,000+ to compete in an out-of-town, major paintball league. And let's pretend you're experience was like our experience at World Cup, where we played 12 games total, and 5 games were IMMEDIATELY ended within 5 seconds of the breakout because of a major penalty, you can see how the frustration boils over rather quickly

#13 BMoore.

BMoore.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

One comment on the article was, "For all the people outside of the US, it would be awesome if there was a webcast of every PSP event. Iím sure people are willing to pay a few bucks if they could see the top teams competing online."

Chea, I would pay 5$ to watch a good webcast, with Matty Marshal, like they did for the '09 events.
Posted Image

#14 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

Exactly as Mike Said, people who pay $1,000's of dollars on Tournament paintball want to get an overwhelmingly huge "Value".

The last time I played paintball on an actual field besides last month, was 2 years ago. That's because of today's prices, I can't go and play paintball every weekend and pay $150+ per day! I don't even have a job. I'm lucky if I get to play outlawball with a few of my friends once every 3-4 monthes.

My opinion is that, yes PSP and NPPL are somewhat taking a turn for the worst. But with help of some major manufacturers such as Planet Eclipse, Dye, Tippmann, Proto, etc. they can launch some sort of plan to get old players back into the sport, and get their sons, daughters, in-laws to come and play.
I know for a fact that older people even in their late 20's don't have the strength to run around on a speedball field. Most players I know like woodsball much better because it's more strategic and requires less optimal operating energy.

If Large manufacturers could:
1.) Get more localized Sponsers
2.)Intraduce the game of paintball better,
a. Giving better rental packages
b. More down-to-earth where say a 12 year old noob wouldn't have to play against a 17 year old super-star.
3.) Advertise in a better fashion.

Does any one remember that issues of PB2X back a few years ago?
Where they showed a Pro Paintball player instructing a Paintball camp?
The kids were around 13 years old and they looked like they had a hell'a of a time.
Imagne if those happenned more often today, and the kids go home and tell their parents, the parents ago and have a good time, they tell their friends, and the cycle goes on...

In the end, I think the companies need to give back, before they can start getting.

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#15 speedwoods39

speedwoods39

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

I'm sorta glad and upset by this. Glad because, well if you look into the history of tournament game formats, there have been a lot of radical changes in a short period of time, but air ball has been fairly stagnant as the standard for tournaments. I think this could be the beginning of a grassroots type change in the game.
High School Ballers Club
New England Ballers Club
Guns:SR-SLG-Sp8
Hopper:Camo Rotor Tank:68 4500 crossfire
pro axis :wub:

#16 Shortbuscrew

Shortbuscrew

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Like ive said in others, and this is advice coming from brothers roommate (sponsored by Angel about 5-6 years ago) Saying that tourny play is not worth it anymore.

Basically what ive said to my local field owner that i'm not interested in playing a tourny blowing over a few grand just to play for 2 days when i can use that cash and play for like 4-5 summers. Or go play in a Scenario game that lasts a weekend and get in 20 hours of huge games instead of 20 seconds a round.

The cost and expenses are so high, it wouldn't be so bad if the event worked out deals for people who were not local, Like cheap hotel rooms at a discount if they can guarantee them X amount of people over the course of a few days ( LOTS of events and clubs do this ALL the time), Same with Car rentals, work out some deals for the food and say pubs, 40 people at lunch, Maybe hire some shuttles from hotels to transport people.

Tourny's need to work out deals with local businesses, They attract people and fill hotel rooms. It's a no-brainer on that one.

Forgot to mention as well, I've always been saying this. Like any other major sport, you will see hard hitting companies sponsoring the event / games, Slap up some billboards, and advertisements. Cellphone companies love doing this, redbull, ect. Get the sponsors in there that arent paintball related, But have the cash to sponsor the event.

Edited by Shortbuscrew, 30 December 2010 - 06:18 AM.

My My Feedback 7/0/0

#17 oldnewb

oldnewb

always playing Devil's advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

The cost and expenses are so high, it wouldn't be so bad if the event worked out deals for people who were not local, Like cheap hotel rooms at a discount if they can guarantee them X amount of people over the course of a few days ( LOTS of events and clubs do this ALL the time), Same with Car rentals, work out some deals for the food and say pubs, 40 people at lunch, Maybe hire some shuttles from hotels to transport people.

Tourny's need to work out deals with local businesses, They attract people and fill hotel rooms. It's a no-brainer on that one.

Forgot to mention as well, I've always been saying this. Like any other major sport, you will see hard hitting companies sponsoring the event / games, Slap up some billboards, and advertisements. Cellphone companies love doing this, redbull, ect. Get the sponsors in there that arent paintball related, But have the cash to sponsor the event.

Funny you should say that. I remember reading in some paintball magazines a while back about how one of the major leagues was really close to sealing a special deal with a major hotel chain (Hilton maybe?). Then a bunch of "pro" paintball players staying at said hotel ended up trashing the common pool area Johnny Depp style (apparently there were paintballs and random bits of furniture involved). Goodbye major deal with international hotel chain. A few suspensions were handed out, and even Todd Martinez ended up sitting out a year (although one might argue that penalties should have been harsher, considering how bad they effed up pro paintball).

Think about it... stuff like that doesn't affect just one deal with a hotel chain. First of all, I used to work at a hotel, and I can tell you that once you do something like that in a city, ALL the hotel managers in that whole city hear about it within a week of it happening. Then it trickles to the associated hotels in other cities. Soon, paintball teams everywhere can't get deals, and can't even find rooms (we used to lie to "bad" customers and tell them we didn't have any vacancies left, just so they would stay elsewhere).

Then other businesses are leery of giving out sponsorship money or deals... it only takes one or two stupid acts to ruin the reputation of our sport and our players.
Techpb Mike doesn't use Trojan Magnum extra large condoms 'cause he doesn't believe in underboring.

Techpb Mike doesn't hide behind cover. Instead, he shoots down incoming paintballs.

#18 PbGoods

PbGoods

PbGoods.com Owner

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

I never played PSP but I used to play local tournaments. Even at these local events, I felt like I was not getting value for the amount of money I was spending.

There needs to be and added value to play a tournament, especially one the size and costs of PSP.

With that said, bring back the cheerleaders!

#19 Colquetzlquatl

Colquetzlquatl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

Here's how to fix this problem

1.Get the industry together
2. Cut paint prices by half across the board
3. Players can afford to play more
4. Players who have left can get back in the sport (I can't count the number of people I've talked to who stopped paintballing years ago but quit because of the price)
5. More new players will start to play
6. Sport will grow
7.??????
8. Profit

Edited by Colquetzlquatl, 30 December 2010 - 11:14 PM.

#20 Shortbuscrew

Shortbuscrew

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Cut the cost of entry by 75% (and you wonder why people don't play because the 800$ entry for your team is soo attractive to the LOLprizes.
get rid of the ID tag cost.
Open up new divisions for new players.
Open up a pick up group team tourny, where players just make the team on the spot and play till the end.
make it 1-2 weeks long of games.
Maybe a few scenario games a year?

I like the pick up group the best, the player pays like 20$ to get in, then joins a group that is forming and plays, They either get far in the championship and win and win some sort of prize or they lose early and try a new team. New teams vs new teams, then 2nd wins vs 2nd wins, ect, they are matched to others win/loss ratio.
My My Feedback 7/0/0

#21 FurbyTFR

FurbyTFR

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

The institutional arrogance on display is shocking.
http://www.thefordreport.com
Shooting Hot Magazine Babes, 'Ballin', and information REAL players want!

#22 Trixx-E

Trixx-E

go hard in the paint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

I can't even go into detail about how angered I am at these changes, but you really have just shot yourself in the foot. By lengthening the fields and increasing bunker sizes it will in turn force paintball fields across the country to make these adjustments so teams will keep practicing at their field. But many fields can't afford to do this. Lengthening fields is going to cost fields at least hundreds of dollars for netting and poles, and then cost them hundreds, even thousands more to buy new sup'air bunkers to accommodate the PSP's new regulations. Many fields where teams practice can't afford the land or money to make these adjusments, meaning that local teams won't be able to practice with proper layouts, meaning that they won't want to risk their hard earned money at tournaments they haven't properly practiced for. This brings me to another point. Going to a tournament without proper practice on the event's layout is a HUGE risk. This is another reason why teams won't want to play in events.
Unfortunately, I am expecting HUGE drops in PSP event attendance and equal rises in the NPPL and EPL.

Edited by Trixx-E, 03 January 2011 - 01:06 AM.

7777777777777777777777SE7EN
Dopest pics in paintball http://www.unsignedphotography.com/
Bob Long

#23 iamit

iamit

Holding the line for the skinnys.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

i almost see this as a "trickle up" of teh age old problem of tournament teams at local feilds now reaching the top of paintball.

we have all seen these kinds of feilds ... feilds which the local tourament team is sponsored and they demand discounted everything and they force there format on everyon else, and pretty soon the feild closes, or the feild is forced to raise prices and then the torunament teams all leave to go to a different feild and demand discounts. why? because the tourament teams forced out all the renters and recballers who subsidize there discoutns away, and once they are gone, a feild can no longer afford to give them anything.

the same thing has happened in the PSP. events were heavily subsized by the industry. not only direct funding of the league, but think of every team there ... mostly shootign discounted paint, with gear they got for a discount from there store, and they practiced at a discount at some local feild. the rules slowly forced out those who cannot afford to shoot skids of paint, and practice weekly, and travel at great cost. and so since the league is now running out of money, they are forced to raise prices, which drives the players away ...

^ this is what happened to one of our local fields. this is the main reason i dont like psp and nppl. you get alot of punk players who want a discount for everything and wonder why they closed down.

#24 naterab

naterab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

I like the pick up group the best, the player pays like 20$ to get in, then joins a group that is forming and plays, They either get far in the championship and win and win some sort of prize or they lose early and try a new team. New teams vs new teams, then 2nd wins vs 2nd wins, ect, they are matched to others win/loss ratio.

That is a VERY good idea. I am 18 and just about to head into college. Unfortunately I do not have the amount of money to compete in any major tournament. However, if something like that were to be offered, I would definitely consider going. That would be much more newer-player friendly.
Zephyr Paintball

For any and all paintball needs

#25 Lucas

Lucas

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

I never played PSP but I used to play local tournaments. Even at these local events, I felt like I was not getting value for the amount of money I was spending.

There needs to be and added value to play a tournament, especially one the size and costs of PSP.

With that said, bring back the cheerleaders!

Yes!

#26 Shortbuscrew

Shortbuscrew

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

but cheerleaders cost money....

What there needs to be is more Local media attention. Maybe if theres cameras on the players and refs, they would act better knowing they are being closely watched.

More training should be on the refs, Or perhaps like i've said before is pick the refs random, maybe out of the crowd, briefed on the rules and then offer them a small discount on some merchandise or some cash..

I've noticed in videos over the past few years is that the refs used to lay on the ground watching somebody, now i see them hugging the netting and then running up and screaming at the person hes out.

Maybe hire some older people that are more mature?

Or better yet, just popped in my mind, the local people who ref the hockey/soccer/football games? Let them earn some coin. They most likely won't be holding grudges against people playing and surely won't have a favorite team they are trying to get to win.

Edited by Shortbuscrew, 07 January 2011 - 12:27 PM.

My My Feedback 7/0/0

#27 Kavati

Kavati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Shortbuscrew has a really good idea there. With the locals. But, Mike what are you talking about getting hit on the pack and diving? Do you mean getting hit mid dive then the ref pulls a 1 for 1 or when he plays on and the ref calls a 2 for 1?

GangstaPaintballa

#28 Shortbuscrew

Shortbuscrew

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

theres some raw footage of the game of exactly what happened that mike had his game recorded, If i recall, his teamate made a dive into the snake and got hit in the pack mid air and the ref instantly pulled 2 of them out of the game. then preceeded on more penalty's. And this happened every game. Like it was over in under 10 seconds and the refs were like hungry dogs waiting to pull majors. And nothing has been done about it if i recall.
My My Feedback 7/0/0

#29 Kavati

Kavati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Since when is getting hit on the pack during a dive a penalty? Is there some new rule I'm not aware of? I play on a PSP regulation size and rules field and have never been slapped with a penalty for it... Do you have a link? I'd love to see that video.

Edited by Kavati, 08 January 2011 - 06:02 PM.

GangstaPaintballa

#30 usmercenary

usmercenary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

Since when is getting hit on the pack during a dive a penalty? Is there some new rule I'm not aware of? I play on a PSP regulation size and rules field and have never been slapped with a penalty for it... Do you have a link? I'd love to see that video.

I second this

#31 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Getting hit on the pack is not a penalty... When you can't feel it, and thus play on, you receive a penalty.

#32 Kavati

Kavati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Getting hit on the pack is not a penalty... When you can't feel it, and thus play on, you receive a penalty.

Oh okay I was getting confuddled here. I guess I got my hata blockaz on. But what the nuts? A 2 for 1 for that? I'd probably kick the dog shit out of a ref if he tried to play that. Why didn't they just pull him? I mean it's a legit mistake and as long as he didn't get anyone out he really didn't harm the game none. Some straight set garbo right there son.

GangstaPaintballa

#33 breg

breg

Mean, Hateful, Fat, and Ugly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

Well... we all complain and point fingers. Ok, so what do we need to accomplish to fix this so I can take any future children I might have painballing?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users