Photo

Proto SLG series vs. Dye DM Series vs. Proto PMR Series

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Proto SLG series vs. Dye DM Series vs. Proto PMR Series (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which gun?

1. Proto SLG Series (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Dye DM Series (11 votes [91.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

3. Proto PMR Series (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LikeACheeseStick

LikeACheeseStick

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

I've been looking into buying a used 'high end' gun. I've been looking at a lot of different series from Planet Eclipse to Dye and I can't figure out what to get.
Don't flame me saying "DUDE GET A SLG IT'S BAD ASS". I don't care about your OPINION I want factual answers.

EDIT: I'm looking for a used gun. . . particulary a 2007 - 2008. Also, what should I be paying for a DM7 or DM8 used?

Edited by LikeACheeseStick, 21 January 2011 - 10:32 AM.

"They found me in an alley way, trying to re-enter the Earths' atmosphere in an old refrigerator box."

#2 fbmowner

fbmowner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

From personal experience i know the SLG isnt very realiable at all, but when it works, it works. My 2010 pmr comes in today and ive heard nothing but good things about that gun, and ive also heard mostly good things about the DM series from dye

#3 NTENSE

NTENSE

Parkway Drive #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

the dm series is amazing and one of the best shooting spools to date the slg series was a nightmare with the sears acting up on a large proportion of markers they sold

if you want a spool go dye for a good reliable poppit look at bob long and planet eclipse all great company's

also the pmr's are good guns but are no where near the performance of a dm or a pm which have lpr's

pmr's are nice but IMO way over priced

dm > pm > pmr > slg's
KusH Iron ballers black
eBay Feedback+8/-0
Feed Back +4/-0

#4 Ice

Ice

Old, Bold, and on Hold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

For the money the SLG is a good gun. Easy to maintain. It is a sear tripper so it is loud and has some kick. I've had one for a couple years and it has yet to let me down. I've found that anything over 13bps raises the probability of breaking paint because the bolt is not particularly gentle. Perhaps an aftermarket bolt could fix this, but do you really need to shoot over 13bps?

Next is the PMR series. Nice spool valve gun that is quieter and gentler on paint. Has a lot more o-rings so maintenance is slightly more involved and a leak could be harder to diagnose. But it feels much better shooting than an SLG. I own one of these as well.

And of course the PM/DM series would be the best among those you mentioned. You're looking at a tournament level marker. I owned a PM7 but sold it because I didn't feel it made me a much better player than my PMR. Keep in mind I'm old and I only play woodsball, and I also sold that PM7 at a healthy profit. ;) If you're in a good position money wise or play a lot of speedball, it may be worth it to you to go with the PM/DM line. It just was not quite worth it for me.

It all depends on your budget. A 2008 PMR costs about twice as much as a 2008 SLG. A used PM8 costs about twice as much as a used 2008 PMR. That's approximate of course, but not way off. So you could get 3 or 4 SLG's for the price of a PM8. The question is, how much are you willing to spend?

Approximate used prices (stock). These are my approximations so if anyone disagrees I don't care. :)
2008 SLG - $90 to $130
2008 PMR - $180 to $220
PM8 - $300 to $400
Posted Image
One of my hydrographed guns. If you want that for your gun, send me a PM and I'll help you out. Or click here for my thread about it.

Now get off my damn lawn, whippersnapper.

#5 Killer0Kevin

Killer0Kevin

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

DM series hands down, get a PM8, almost exactly the same thing as a DM9. A LOT of bang for your bucks.

#6 bombadee

bombadee

super dude

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

yeah go for a pm8. didn't they stop making the pm line because it was essentially a dm but for much less $$$?
pssssss.....BOOOM!!!!

#7 Ice

Ice

Old, Bold, and on Hold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Pretty much everyone will tell you to get a PM8 because that's the best of the 3 you listed and no one is considering budget. For my money, I'd go with the PMR and save a lot of cheddar unless money is no issue for you. Paintball gun prices have diminishing returns. The difference between a $200 gun (SLG) and a $400 gun (PMR) is huge. The difference between a $400 gun (PMR) and a $900 DM10 is still big but not AS big. And the performance increase between a $900 DM10 and a $1500 Luxe is even smaller yet. You're still improving but you get less improvement per dollar the more you spend. That rule applies to most consumer products new and used.
Posted Image
One of my hydrographed guns. If you want that for your gun, send me a PM and I'll help you out. Or click here for my thread about it.

Now get off my damn lawn, whippersnapper.

#8 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

im sorry i actually chuckled when i saw the title, and when i read high end i burst out laughing, im sorry. DM obviously wins, the PMR and SLG aren't anywhere close to high end. if u want to buy a used DM then go with a DM9. if u want to save money then go for a used PM8. its PM or PMR, there is a difference.

this is how dye works, all the low/mid end guns they make go under the proto name, all the high end stuff they make goes under the Dye label.

for 2011 it goes like this: Proto PMR (low) Proto Reflex Rail (mid end, kinda like a DM with no LPR) Dye DM11 (high end) Dye NT11 (supar high end)

but as for the PM8, people found out that the PM8 was pretty much a DM8 for a lot less and that killed most of the sells of the DM8 so dye stopped making it. the SLG line would go as lower quality than the PMR. the old PMR's would be like a reflex rail, just a little less. hope i helped, and no hard feelings for me laughing :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users