59 replies to this topic

#51 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

hmm maybe it would help if lapco increased the inner diameter by a tincy bit.
having a small bore works for paintballs, but when it comes to FS rounds underboring increases friction by ALOT, and if anything will reduce velocity and put strain on the tails.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#52 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

can you still use normal paintballs in this? does it put spin on them? and how much =)

LAPCO does not recommend it for regular paintballs. They do not feel that imparting this type of spin on a paintball is a good thing, even if the barrel actually did. I agree with them. Further, the smaller bore combined with the rifling may damge more balls than normal.

a cloth shotgun bore brush

lol, what? If you're referring to how to clean the barrels, I don't know if a cloth brush will work. I do know that a vigorous scrubbing with my nylon bristle barrel brush (originally made for paintball, a long time ago), followed by a silicone pull-through squigee works great.

hmm maybe it would help if lapco increased the inner diameter by a tincy bit.
having a small bore works for paintballs, but when it comes to FS rounds underboring increases friction by ALOT, and if anything will reduce velocity and put strain on the tails.

The key is that it needs to be tight enough to grip the rounds and twist them. Knowing what I do about LAPCO and Tiberius Arms, I trust that this is the best balance attainable with current barrel materials.

#53 Kanas

Kanas

684! Exit 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

k, Thank you for answering everyones questions. You really know you stuff! but I have another question for you, if the fins on the first strike rounds were at a different angle, could it make the round better?

just a thought, you don't have to give me a complete answer just your thoughts
Posted Image
R.I.P BORG!

#54 DruidicRifleman

DruidicRifleman

The Celtic Warrior who BBQ'd your village

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

[

a cloth shotgun bore brush

lol, what? If you're referring to how to clean the barrels, I don't know if a cloth brush will work. I do know that a vigorous scrubbing with my nylon bristle barrel brush (originally made for paintball, a long time ago), followed by a silicone pull-through squigee works great.

It's a brush used to clean shot gun barrels it's cotton or something i like them cause I can pack a few in a gear bag and they work like a swab
Current Set up SP1 with a Ninja 90/45 and Velocity And always rocking a Nerf sword
back Up A5 72/30 Pure energy JJ custom barrel

We Killed Humans FOR WE ARE BORG!!!!! RIP In the great PB field in the sky man YOU will BE MISSED!!

Posted Image

#55 UV Halo

UV Halo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

k, Thank you for answering everyones questions. You really know you stuff! but I have another question for you, if the fins on the first strike rounds were at a different angle, could it make the round better?

just a thought, you don't have to give me a complete answer just your thoughts

I would bet that Perfect Circle (the actual manufacturers of the rounds) tested multiple fin designs, and they picked the optimal angle. However, that's not to say that it's the best in all aspects. For example, a higher angle could spin the round up quicker, potentially increasing short range accuracy. But, this would come at the cost of decelerating the round more rapidly, leading to a shorter range.

#56 Kanas

Kanas

684! Exit 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

It is almos light tiberius could sell CQB first strike and long range, and maybe even mid range, like the pistol, no one is going to shoot someone out from like 100 feet so why not make it accurate from close range. Make the round a little cheaper, and I bet this would open alot more players into first strike!

Edited by Kanas, 03 August 2011 - 10:40 AM.

Posted Image
R.I.P BORG!

#57 UV Halo

UV Halo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I think you're saying that Tiberius could produce and sell rounds for short range, and rounds for long range?

Here are the challenges:

While there may be a benefit to a round that spins up faster, how much of a benefit could we expect? Let's say it's 50% better (as unlikely as that is) than the current FS at distances up to 100ft. That's still only allows for a high probability of hit on something a little narrower than a human torso (viewed from the front). The benefit decreases, the closer the target gets to the shooter.

Tiberius doesn't make the rounds, nor did they develop them. They contract runs of paint through Perfect Circle Paintball (PCP) which has no interest in selling direct to the public. PCP stops making rounds for the Security Industry (FN303 rounds), to a do a run or several First Strike rounds for Tiberius. This is the primary reason why there are only two colors available via re-sellers- It's too expensive to do a run of another color (unless someone, i.e. two paintball fields agree to pre-order in bulk). Therefore, it'd be even more expensive to develop and manufacture another round design.

Combine these two factors and with the likely smaller user base (the number of current First Strike shooters is still low), and you won't see any 'variants' any time soon. Maybe, when most players are shooting first strike rounds, you'll see room for some variation.

For now, at close range, regular paintballs are 'good enough' for me. The only reason I don't carry a backup pistol with paintballs is that all pistols compress the balls in the stack as soon as the mag is loaded. Maybe Hydrotech's shell will fix this if they ever get them to market.

#58 Kanas

Kanas

684! Exit 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Ok, since a CQB marker would be used in situations that are closer you wouldn't need the first strike. And since they cost so much there isn't really a point! ok
Posted Image
R.I.P BORG!

#59 phish

phish

<@:( Angry clown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

I'm lost as to the point of a rifled barrel used with first strike rounds. First strike rounds spin when they're shot anyway...
All actions come with a 3 day dignity saver guarantee. I cannot however guarantee that the dignity will in fact be reinstated in the very likely chance that you lose it.

#60 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

I'm lost as to the point of a rifled barrel used with first strike rounds. First strike rounds spin when they're shot anyway...

FS rounds spin once they're out of the barrel and have air passing by them. This barrel aims to pre-spin the rounds, to try and remove any randomness that occurs while they're spinning up just out of the barrel.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)