32 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hey guys, I'm wondering on how to make a "rain cover". What material should I use on the outside? Is that insulation stuff good? How should i go about doing it? How much porting should I cover? Any help would be amazing!
EDIT: finished in one morning
i turned it from this:
Posted Image
into this:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
all the insides:
Posted Image
and when its all done:
Posted Image

i used my 11'' backup stock barrel thats on my vibe mainly because i didn't want to end up ruining my main one and it doesn't fit into the hole.
Now only one question remains, does it work? i dont have any air or paint to test this.

Edited by ThunderLights, 13 February 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

1 do remember that silencers are illegal, thus if someone see you with one, they could sue your ass all over the town.

2. Silencers are simple, really. I'v made ones from bottles stuffed with application pads. they dont take a genius to create, the majority of sound comes from the tip of your barrel, so the more your silencer covers past the tip, and as long as you don't have a open bolt marker. then it will work.

you can use lighters to melt plastic into a round shape around the barrel,
tape
glue
cotten balls
machine one yourself.

be creative.

Edited by Eskimo, 12 February 2011 - 07:57 PM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#3 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hey guys, I'm wondering on how to make a scilencer. What material should I use on the outside? Is that insulation stuff good? How should i go about doing it? How much porting should I cover? Any help would be amazing!

First off, I do believe a suppressor in your area is illegal without proper authorization. Here in the states the only BATFE approved suppressor mod for a paintball marker I recall is using a piece of pipe insulation that has the PVC outer shell and having it stick 6" or so past the end of the barrel as wel as far enough back on the barrel to cover all the porting. It supposedly work pretty well and doesn't violate any laws.

#4 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Thanks, I didn't know scliencers were illegal. So if I took one to the field, I would get banned?

#5 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, I didn't know scliencers were illegal. So if I took one to the field, I would get banned?

If someone cared enough, you'd be fined. Maybe more, not too sure on the laws regarding silencers.

Rain covers on the other hand are perfectly legal ;)

#6 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

I couldn't say for sure. You'd have to contact your local field and ask if they allow them and you'd have to contact your local police to see if there's any issues with you using a piece of pipe insulation as a suppressor. Here in the states it's perfectly legal to do this, but some fields may not allow it.

#7 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Good point. I'll get cracking tmr. I think I have some insulation.

#8 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

got pics up... looks pretty badass, except for the front, that needs work.

#9 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

So where's the pics? And can you put up a video of it on and off the maker for comparison of how well it does or doesn't work?

#10 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

So where's the pics? And can you put up a video of it on and off the maker for comparison of how well it does or doesn't work?

i posted the pics, and i cant put a video up cuz i have no paint or air. but when i slap the back of the barrel on its own it makes a popish noise, when its with the silencer it makes a short thud. does that count? might put it my friends sypder sonix, cuz he has some c02 left lol. ill have to ask him, im also making plans on building a better one with 2 layers of PVC, one that goes around the barrel and is heavily ported, the other one that is going to be bigger, and the space will be used to put some insulation.

#11 chadders

chadders

brb getting more tea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

call it arain cover say its tokeep the rain out and its ok, also if it can be removed then you break usa law so built in/non removeable is ok, removerable= needs a class 3 usa gun licens(what evers that is)
uk field list http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=122343 (work in progress) [Yankee Paintball] Mine's a little bigger then cute
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=146647 my mod app, help me help you(if you want if not then have a good day)

bit its a karnivor... only way to make it look good is to cut it up, lol

win

#12 chi-townSniper

chi-townSniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

NO NO NO u dont want a silencer...You want a rain cover.

#13 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

alright. i get that now.

#14 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

alright. i get that now.

I don't think you do :mellow:

#15 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

alright. i get that now.

I don't think you do :mellow:

oh yes i do. its a rain cover, if mods see this they should change the title to "rain cover"

#16 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

oh yes i do. its a rain cover, if mods see this they should change the title to "rain cover"

I remember looking up the laws in Canada. And as long as the silencer isnt on a firearm or designed for one, it is legal to have and use on non-firearm. Dont quote me on this but back when i was doing research I remember seeing no such law prohibiting this kind of thing in canada. If for any reason you do get stopped by the police they will only give you a warning if you say you didnt know, and at the worst, make you destroy the "rain cover". But to my knowledge its all good in Canada.

#17 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

I remember looking up the laws in Canada. And as long as the silencer isnt on a firearm or designed for one, it is legal to have and use on non-firearm. Dont quote me on this but back when i was doing research I remember seeing no such law prohibiting this kind of thing in canada. If for any reason you do get stopped by the police they will only give you a warning if you say you didnt know, and at the worst, make you destroy the "rain cover". But to my knowledge its all good in Canada.

haha, thank you. i was suspecting this too while researching, but nothing turned up as to it being illegal on a paintball gun. on a firearm, now thats a different story.

#18 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

I saw the photos right after posting, but my internet went down so I couldn't change the post. I'll leave it as is or now since I've been quoted already.

Your "rain cover" isn't the best I'e seen, but it's far from the worst. ome day I need to make me a "rain cover" for playing woodsball with a modified marker to shoot first strikes.

#19 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

I saw the photos right after posting, but my internet went down so I couldn't change the post. I'll leave it as is or now since I've been quoted already.

Your "rain cover" isn't the best I'e seen, but it's far from the worst. ome day I need to make me a "rain cover" for playing woodsball with a modified marker to shoot first strikes.

i have plans for possibly the best one. i have everything i need expect for 3/4'' PVC.

#20 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

i have plans for possibly the best one. i have everything i need expect for 3/4'' PVC.

Great, let us know how well it turns out and post a video of it on and off the maker if it actually works to some degree.

#21 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:26 AM

Great, let us know how well it turns out and post a video of it on and off the maker if it actually works to some degree.

ill be sure too.

#22 Box

Box

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

if legality is a concern to you, just make the tip noticeably orange or bright in color.

that way everyone knows it's not the real mccoy.

Posted Image

I speak on experience, and experience only.

#23 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

if legality is a concern to you, just make the tip noticeably orange or bright in color.

ill keep that in mind, although i wont have too. its an airsoft thing, not a paintball thing.

#24 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

Because people don't paint real silencers and guns orange :dodgy:

#25 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

That doesn't matter. What makes them legal/illegal is the ability to reduce the sound signature. The govt doesn't want you to use it for an illegal act and then take it off, like it never happened. They figure there's no good reason for the public to have anything silenced that even resembles a gun. To make it legal, usually that means its permanently mounted to the barrel and the barrel is not removable. If it works, it needs to follow the law: black, pink, or any other color in the rainbow.

#26 Baller34

Baller34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

Or but an apex 2:D

#27 Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:51 AM

i have a couple of silencers for my pb guns; only works for my pump (sl68-II). slides right on the stock barrel. back when i started playing, they were legal to purchase. pretty simple devices; they only have three parts: inner baffle that slides on the barrel, some foam and an outer plastic shell. i'd post pictures, but people seem to get their panties in a wad over legalities (seriously, who gives a crap about a paintball silencer?). i'm sure you can find pictures / books on how to make them pretty easily.

#28 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

i have a couple of silencers for my pb guns; only works for my pump (sl68-II). slides right on the stock barrel. back when i started playing, they were legal to purchase. pretty simple devices; they only have three parts: inner baffle that slides on the barrel, some foam and an outer plastic shell. i'd post pictures, but people seem to get their panties in a wad over legalities (seriously, who gives a crap about a paintball silencer?). i'm sure you can find pictures / books on how to make them pretty easily.

So have you ever made the second rain cover yet? Did you ever test the first one on a marker? When are you going to post a video or does this rain cover not work?

#29 Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

i didn't make them; they were both purchased like...15 years ago? they work, but they work better on certain guns. put it on the pump, takes it from a loud pop to a dull thud. put it on my a5 (using the stock barrel) works, but not as well. it sounds equivalent to a well-ported barrel.

#30 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

I was speaking to the OP, not you (Cyco-Dude), but that's nice to know nonetheless.

Sorry, I have a problem with hitting the "reply" in the last post, which quotes them, instead of clicking the "add reply" at the bottom of the page.

So ThunderLights, have you ever made the second one? Did the first one (or second if you made one) work on the marker well? How about a video?

#31 Side-Swipe

Side-Swipe

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

1 do remember that silencers are illegal, thus if someone see you with one, they could sue your ass all over the town.

2. Silencers are simple, really. I'v made ones from bottles stuffed with application pads. they dont take a genius to create, the majority of sound comes from the tip of your barrel, so the more your silencer covers past the tip, and as long as you don't have a open bolt marker. then it will work.

you can use lighters to melt plastic into a round shape around the barrel,
tape
glue
cotten balls
machine one yourself.

be creative.

Sir, you are mis-informed. Silencers arent a private matter just cuz your neighbor saw you with a silencer they cant take you to Judge Judy to sort it out. Silencers are a federal matter, basically dont get caught by the cops.

No, Ive taken mine to every local field and to Legends twice.

#32 reflexowner

reflexowner

Unicorns eat tacos!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

scilencers are legal if your over 18 and have no criminal record

#33 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club