• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Well im testing the barrel break theory and well i just had a thought on the temp out side....i was wondering if i should wait to do it till after it warms a little (to like 60-80 degrees) or if i should ust do it
SNOWFLAKE #66

#2 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Who all is going to this event? It's at CPX Sports on May 30-31st.

I plan on going this year; missed last year.

#3 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Woops! Too many tabs open, mods please move this to the correct location. Thanks.

#4 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

Well im testing the barrel break theory and well i just had a thought on the temp out side....i was wondering if i should wait to do it till after it warms a little (to like 60-80 degrees) or if i should ust do it

what's your test?
if you want to get a lot of breaks - then maybe the colder temps will help.

#5 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

which section would you like it in?

and yes, Gordon and I plan to come down.

#6 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

The IL - Big Events section, please.

#7 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

what's your test?
if you want to get a lot of breaks - then maybe the colder temps will help.

well you guys decided i think a while back that barrel breaks are caused by loader mistakes or something to that effect. I had a differnt idea
ill be sending you guys the data 100% when im done with video proof and everything so you guys dont claim i facked it cause this is the internet and what not because everyone claims is fake.
but my idea is that the seam of the paintball had more to do with it than anything. My thought is that every now and then the paintball will ether have the seam line up parrel or perpendicular to the bolt and thats what causes the barrel breaks more than anything
ill go in deader detail in my video and what not
i should be able to exsplain it all in there. I know im not a scientist and i know this probly wont change minds but im doing it all under controled ciurcumstances trying to pick out exactly what cause it the most.
SNOWFLAKE #66

#8 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

If you're looking for breaks in relation to ball orientation, I would do it in colder temps. That would help ensure the likelihood of breaks occurring than if it were warmer. I say go for it.

#9 Troy

Troy

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

If you're looking for breaks in relation to ball orientation, I would do it in colder temps. That would help ensure the likelihood of breaks occurring than if it were warmer. I say go for it.

This really is something that needs to be tested real well, it would just be tedious as hell.
\m/

#10 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

yup, since it sounded like you want to get more breaks - then do it in the cold - that should help.

Our break test took 10 hours or so to complete - and it involved loading ZERO balls by hand. I look forward to your results - but be warned - it's going to be tedius.

If you have any concerns about your test not being taken seriously - then post up your methodology and we can help you craft a more defensible test.

#11 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

Make sure you dress warm enough, too. That could be easily overlooked considering you might be standing around for a while and not moving much.

#12 FauX12

FauX12

Livin' My Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I might come out, any word on prices?

#13 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Not yet. Still too far out.

#14 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

If I remember correctly last year was something like $55 pre-reg entry and $75/case. don't quote me on that though.

#15 hockeyfan269

hockeyfan269

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'm gonna try to come out. haven't tried CPX yet, so mine as well give it a shot.

#16 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

CPX is a great field. I'm particular to the city field - some great cleaning sweeps last year. CockerPunk and I murdered piles of guys in there.

#17 hockeyfan269

hockeyfan269

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

CPX is a great field. I'm particular to the city field - some great cleaning sweeps last year. CockerPunk and I murdered piles of guys in there.

nice. alot of guys using scenario guns usually??

#18 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Bedlam is pretty fun but it can be dangerous at times. If not cleaned and maintained, it can get real slick. Last year, I just got my T8 and wasn't used to it. As I retreated back, I slipped on a sidewalk and not only dropped my gun but also cut open my hand pretty well that required a medic visit. I don't think you're supposed to come off the field bleeding like that. Besides that, it's really fun.

Personally, I prefer Armageddon, Jungle of Doom, and the woods field. I usually do really well in those.

#19 hockeyfan269

hockeyfan269

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

Bedlam is pretty fun but it can be dangerous at times. If not cleaned and maintained, it can get real slick. Last year, I just got my T8 and wasn't used to it. As I retreated back, I slipped on a sidewalk and not only dropped my gun but also cut open my hand pretty well that required a medic visit. I don't think you're supposed to come off the field bleeding like that. Besides that, it's really fun.

Personally, I prefer Armageddon, Jungle of Doom, and the woods field. I usually do really well in those.

the town does look fun though. I've never played scenario like that, jus woodsball so it looks fun to me.

#20 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

yup, since it sounded like you want to get more breaks - then do it in the cold - that should help.

Our break test took 10 hours or so to complete - and it involved loading ZERO balls by hand. I look forward to your results - but be warned - it's going to be tedius.

If you have any concerns about your test not being taken seriously - then post up your methodology and we can help you craft a more defensible test.

Ok bud thank you so very much
SNOWFLAKE #66

#21 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

FIRST i would like to say that all this thinking is done by me as far as mythology. No one had contributed. This had just come to me.

My mythology is based on the fact that a paintball is a stationary object that is being forced to become a moving object making the ball become less than sphearical. The paintball always incounters this when ever being shot. There is no getting over it. An object at rest will remain that way unless acted on otherwise.

My thought is in addition to the loader theory that i believe Cocker Punk and Byrice (sorry if i misspelled your names) had brought up about the paintball having been messed up some how in the loading cylce (note not word for word). I think there is another reason that contribles to that. I believe that the paintball's seam may line up every now and then ether paralel or perpendicular to the bolt of the paintball marker. When the air and the bolt hits the ball then that makes the paintball break. When the seam is perpendicular to bolt i believe that it curls the ball in more causing it to split premicurly. My thought when the paintball is perpendicular to the bolt is that the ball squishes into more of a skittle shape than a ball shape causing the paintball to split at the seem and burst down the barrel.

I have 4 cases of Deablo Heat paintballs
I will be using latex gloves inorder to not get any of the oil from my hands on the paintball.
I have 4 tests
-Control, Paintball in the loader and firing the paint at factory settings(minus the mood) at about 290fps(consitant through out all tests) with and PEV'S 06 ego with a Cure 2 bolt or my Bob Long Vice witch ever one i feel will be more useful .691 bore size(the paints bore size). Firing on full auto 10bps for the whole 2000 rounds using a Dye rotor and bag feeding it or pod feeding it. I will stop after all breaks and clean the marker and barrel 100% through (eyes barrel detent ect).
- Under bore (.687, its the smallest i have sorry) and fire 2000 rounds through that with paintball having the seam facing parrel to the bolt. Feeding the paintballs one at a time by hand placing them in 1 at a time.
- Bore size (691, yes thats the bore size ive tried the others there are to small or to large the best one that fits is this, sorry) firing 2000 rounds loading them one at a time with the seam parrel.
- Over bore (.695, largest size i have) firing 2000 rounds lading them one at a time wih the seam parrel.

Unfortunatily i dont have the money for the secound half having the test perpendiclar sorry everyone. i will record the test by video and by a data sheet. Thank you everyone.
Any suggestions im more than happy to have thank you again.

Edited by SnowFlake, 20 January 2009 - 08:15 PM.

SNOWFLAKE #66

#22 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

FIRST i would like to say that all this thinking is done by me as far as methodology. No one had contributed. This had just come to me.

My methodology is based on the fact that a paintball is a stationary object that is being forced to become a moving object making the ball become less than spherical. The paintball always encounters this when ever being shot. There is no getting over it. An object at rest will remain that way unless acted on otherwise.

My thought is in addition to the loader theory that i believe Cocker Punk and Bryce (sorry if i misspelled your names (no problem)) had brought up about the paintball having been messed up some how in the loading cycle (note not word for word). I think there is another reason that contributes to that. I believe that the paintball's seam may line up every now and then ether parallel or perpendicular to the bolt of the paintball marker. When the air and the bolt hits the ball then that makes the paintball break. When the seam is perpendicular to bolt i believe that it curls the ball in more causing it to split ?prematurely? ?perpendicularly?. My thought when the paintball is perpendicular to the bolt is that the ball squishes into more of a skittle shape than a ball shape causing the paintball to split at the seem and burst down the barrel.

I will be using latex gloves in order to not get any of the oil from my hands on the paintball.
I have 4 tests
-Control, Paintball in the loader and firing the paint at factory settings(minus the mood) at about 290fps(consistant through out all tests) with and PEV'S 06 ego with a Cure 2 bolt or my Bob Long Vice witch ever one i feel will be more useful .691 bore size(the paints bore size). Firing on full auto 10bps for the whole 2000 rounds using a Dye rotor and bag feeding it or pod feeding it. I will stop after all breaks and clean the marker and barrel 100% through (eyes barrel detent ect).
- Under bore (.687, its the smallest i have sorry) and fire 2000 rounds through that with paintball having the seam facing parrel to the bolt. Feeding the paintballs one at a time by hand placing them in 1 at a time.
- Bore size (691, yes thats the bore size ive tried the others there are to small or to large the best one that fits is this, sorry) firing 2000 rounds loading them one at a time with the seam parrel.
- Over bore (.695, largest size i have) firing 2000 rounds lading them one at a time with the seam parallel.

Unfortunatly i dont have the money for the second half having the test perpendicular sorry everyone. i will record the test by video and by a data sheet. Thank you everyone.

coolio - couple of things man:
1. I merged this with your other thread - since it's on the same topic.
2. take a few minutes - type your posts in word and use the grammar and spell checker. I've highlighted the errors I noticed in red. It really helps to get your message across - for example, you use the term mythology when I think you meant methodology - one meaning something related to a myth - exactly what we don't want - the other being the method that you're going to use - which I hope is what you meant.

sounds great - I'm excited to see your results. Do you have any idea how long hand loading 2000 balls is going to take? If you pull this off I'll be really impressed. CockerPunk and I spend more than 8 hours - and we were just jamming paint in with a Halo - we got through less than 10,000 rounds. I'm guessing you're looking at multiple days of feeding balls into the breech. I would suggest that the sample size may not need to be the full 2000 rounds hand fed. If you're getting different results after only a few hundred balls - that may be enough. If things are working exactly the same - then you may need to do a larger sample.

I would suggest this: do the first case with the loader. Determine the average balls shot to break - ie how often do balls break using a loader? If it's every 400 balls (like our test was) - and you get a break every 50 balls when loading with the seam oriented - then you don't need to do the full case. If you're still only getting a break every 400 balls (again, that number isn't real, just an example) - then you'll need to feed more of the case.

If you are getting far more breaks with the seam oriented - then you can move on and try a few more things - some that I would suggest: loading with the seam on the other orientation. Hand-loading w random seam orientation. I think the hand-loading might be interesting - but if you only do the seam in the worst possible orientation - you may get more breaks - but since you're removing the loading you may actually be saving some balls that would have broken.

Does this all make sense?

Sorry to be sort-of a dick on the grammar and spell check - but things like that really matter in how seriously people take you.

#23 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

FIRST i would like to say that all this thinking is done by me as far as methodology. No one had contributed. This had just come to me.

My methodology is based on the fact that a paintball is a stationary object that is being forced to become a moving object making the ball become less than spherical. The paintball always encounters this when ever being shot. There is no getting over it. An object at rest will remain that way unless acted on otherwise.

My thought is in addition to the loader theory that i believe Cocker Punk and Bryce (sorry if i misspelled your names (no problem)) had brought up about the paintball having been messed up some how in the loading cycle (note not word for word). I think there is another reason that contributes to that. I believe that the paintball's seam may line up every now and then ether parallel or perpendicular to the bolt of the paintball marker. When the air and the bolt hits the ball then that makes the paintball break. When the seam is perpendicular to bolt i believe that it curls the ball in more causing it to split ?prematurely? ?perpendicularly?. My thought when the paintball is perpendicular to the bolt is that the ball squishes into more of a skittle shape than a ball shape causing the paintball to split at the seem and burst down the barrel.

I will be using latex gloves in order to not get any of the oil from my hands on the paintball.
I have 4 tests
-Control, Paintball in the loader and firing the paint at factory settings(minus the mood) at about 290fps(consistant through out all tests) with and PEV'S 06 ego with a Cure 2 bolt or my Bob Long Vice witch ever one i feel will be more useful .691 bore size(the paints bore size). Firing on full auto 10bps for the whole 2000 rounds using a Dye rotor and bag feeding it or pod feeding it. I will stop after all breaks and clean the marker and barrel 100% through (eyes barrel detent ect).
- Over bore (.695, largest size i have) firing 2000 rounds lading them one at a time with the seam parallel.

Unfortunatly i dont have the money for the second half having the test perpendicular sorry everyone. i will record the test by video and by a data sheet. Thank you everyone.

coolio - couple of things man:
1. I merged this with your other thread - since it's on the same topic.
2. take a few minutes - type your posts in word and use the grammar and spell checker. I've highlighted the errors I noticed in red. It really helps to get your message across - for example, you use the term mythology when I think you meant methodology - one meaning something related to a myth - exactly what we don't want - the other being the method that you're going to use - which I hope is what you meant.

sounds great - I'm excited to see your results. Do you have any idea how long hand loading 2000 balls is going to take? If you pull this off I'll be really impressed. CockerPunk and I spend more than 8 hours - and we were just jamming paint in with a Halo - we got through less than 10,000 rounds. I'm guessing you're looking at multiple days of feeding balls into the breech. I would suggest that the sample size may not need to be the full 2000 rounds hand fed. If you're getting different results after only a few hundred balls - that may be enough. If things are working exactly the same - then you may need to do a larger sample.

I would suggest this: do the first case with the loader. Determine the average balls shot to break - ie how often do balls break using a loader? If it's every 400 balls (like our test was) - and you get a break every 50 balls when loading with the seam oriented - then you don't need to do the full case. If you're still only getting a break every 400 balls (again, that number isn't real, just an example) - then you'll need to feed more of the case.

If you are getting far more breaks with the seam oriented - then you can move on and try a few more things - some that I would suggest: loading with the seam on the other orientation. Hand-loading w random seam orientation. I think the hand-loading might be interesting - but if you only do the seam in the worst possible orientation - you may get more breaks - but since you're removing the loading you may actually be saving some balls that would have broken.

Does this all make sense?

Sorry to be sort-of a dick on the grammar and spell check - but things like that really matter in how seriously people take you.

haha dont feel bad man i am sorry though for my bad spelling and i will take your advice and word this all before hand
and i do realize how long this will take. Truth be told i have no real life after paintball i have school work and paintball thats all. All i have to do is get consent from Rick of OA paintball or Mr. Crim from Crims paintball Complex inorder to do this test. And 100% of my data will be sent to you both video (warning it will be edited inorder to shorten the video because i dont think you guys have time to watch 40 videos). And it is all open to your thoughts. Thank you so much to givin me a chance on this all and not writing me off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users