• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

I'm a newbie and my plan is to start playing woodsball/milsim scenarios. I was wondering what is the best gun to buy if you plan on mod'ing it down the road for milsim's. Is it the Tippmann's or is there a better choice out there? Like I said I'm new so I'm not that familiar with all of the other brand choices. Thanks in advance.

#2 irish_max

irish_max

POCKET SAND!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

If you want complete modification.. I like Tippmann. trusted brand. I have the A5 and the X7 already comes molded into a AR looking paintball gun. SO you cant do much to change its body. It is a good gun though. For the most customizable i still say the A5. Its a good gun. You can change its looks to an assault rifle (AK, 416, m16, g36) to a Sniper Rifle ( barret 50 cal etc) LMG ( saw kit) smg ( mp5, mp5sd, UMP many more) the list goes on really. It is an AIR HOG but if you put a rip clip on made by BT that is electric so that will help. you can get pieces to reduce air use though and max out performance. Trust me its a good gun. Easy to rebuild, easy to take apart as well. Tippmann made means you can bang it up and still rely on it to still work. Stock barrels have always been bad on it so i would upgrade the barrel.

I can take pictures of my A5 if you'd like later. Just so you can see how it looks modified

Posted Image

I am a TOP GUNZ team member
Proudly Sponsored by: Zephyr Paintball
Ninja Air only

#3 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

^He said it...

If your really wanting to get a "military" Style marker, go Tippmann.. if you want an Extremely durable marker... go Tippmann.. They are a little heavy, but you get used to the weight after a few games..

Also if you get the A5, there might be a few stores left that sell the "low pressure kit" which will dramatically effect your efficency.

#4 Blarg

Blarg

"\_(ಠ_ಠ)_/"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

yup, Tippmann hands down.
I reccomend finding out what mods to put on BEFORE buying the marker. Helps to control your funds.
Posted Image

#5 Dusk

Dusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Let me do some digging

Edited by Dusk, 01 March 2011 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

Because then you're not just a dork that plays paintball, you're a SUPER DORK because you are judging the other dorks who play paintball.

#6 Dusk

Dusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

If you are just learning the basics, I suggest getting the bt-SA-17 pistol, if you also get the rifle kit, you will have a very durable mil-sim marker that can be modded to almost any degree, I personally use a sa17 as my primary marker, I have a buttstock, barrel kit, and hopper attachments, all for under 200$ Canadian. Be advised though, once you decide to get another marker, you can revert the sa17 back into a pistol for a wickid side arm.

Edited by Dusk, 01 March 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Posted Image

Because then you're not just a dork that plays paintball, you're a SUPER DORK because you are judging the other dorks who play paintball.

#7 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Thanks so far for the info and suggestions. I was leaning towards the Tippmann A5 because that seems to be the marker I've found the most pics/articles on being mod'd. Wasn't sure though of what other brands are out there and if I might have been missing something.

irish_max:
Would love to see some pics when you get time. Thanks!!

#8 Mavalon

Mavalon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

I'd say the Tippmann 98 custom, but that is just what I have. I've heard good things about the A5 too though.
A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

#9 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

I like Tippmann because they have always had a lot of customizing. The X7 is probably the best option then the 98custom as far as customizing later. But my new favorite is BT aka Empire Battle Tested. They basically have the markers like Tippmann has but they have a couple better updated features. And a couple different platforms. You can actually buy a couple BTs that already have the stocks and grips and everything on them for milsim for a very good price rather than buying a tippmann 98 or x7 and then buying all the extras later to make it more milsim.

Here's a list of manufactures and marker lists. I would go with any of these. You can go look at the little features each one has over the other and get prices and decide on which you like the most. But I recommend any one of these.
Manufacturer: Marker list
Tippmann: 98Custom, X7, A-5, Alpha
BT: BT-4, Delta, Omega, TM-15, TM-7, SA-17
GOG: G-1.

ANSgear.com has all of these markers on their site and pretty good pictures and descriptions. Even some videos for a few you can look at on their site.

Edited by Kirko017, 01 March 2011 - 05:05 PM.

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

#10 usmercenary

usmercenary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

get the X7 phenom so you have at least SOME performance out of a milsim monster

#11 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

People have been doing some crazy stuff with their empire trracers. Some of the first strike mods I've seen are awesome. I plan on doing a few mods to mine as well to make loading first strike rounds easier.

plus trracers are cheap.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#12 noob123

noob123

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

If you want a very unique Milsim gun. All u need is an ion. Which can be found at your local craigslist or field for insanely cheap and also find an airsoft gun body and mod it to fit. Also since the body is plastic and the ion is light u won't be lugging around as heavy of a gun as you would if you went the tippmann route. Not saying ther too heavy but if your into scenarios it makes a difference

11r6p10.gif?t=1291492513
SETUP: Shocker SFT w/eigenbolt 
14" Eigenbarrel
Empire Prophecy

http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/c=YGXAeAQUWZQ5TCKByaI2z90mi/

#13 hogzilla88

hogzilla88

Something about narwhals...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

gog G1. its an electro.

#14 irish_max

irish_max

POCKET SAND!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

Thanks so far for the info and suggestions. I was leaning towards the Tippmann A5 because that seems to be the marker I've found the most pics/articles on being mod'd. Wasn't sure though of what other brands are out there and if I might have been missing something.

irish_max:

Posted Image
That is my woodsball set up, bulky but its exactly how i wanted it to look. Just a note, you can get these guns with an electronic board and they do take other Aftermarket boards. I was a little foolish and put a Ape board in that one.

Posted Image

I am a TOP GUNZ team member
Proudly Sponsored by: Zephyr Paintball
Ninja Air only

#15 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

irish_max:

Posted Image
That is my woodsball set up, bulky but its exactly how i wanted it to look. Just a note, you can get these guns with an electronic board and they do take other Aftermarket boards. I was a little foolish and put a Ape board in that one.

Wow looks great!! I had gotten my son an Alpha Black and it looks just like that. He'll just be old enough this year to go and play so I wanted to get my own marker to go out with him.

The hose on the bottom is called a remote right? Is that so you can carry your tank on your back? I didn't even know things like that existed until I started reading up on this site.

Edited by CoDBLKOPS, 01 March 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#16 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

Its called a remote line. If you have a sporting goods store in your area you might check the paintball section out for one. I've seen them in Dicks, MCsports, and even in walmart before.

They are only worth it if your marker has a stock, otherwise its unbalanced and uncomfortable without having something to stabilize your marker with. You would also need a harness/ pod pack with a tank pouch.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#17 Duke Scrotum

Duke Scrotum

Fuck Anticipation guy...Right in the Butt!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

I'm a newbie and my plan is to start playing woodsball/milsim scenarios. I was wondering what is the best gun to buy if you plan on mod'ing it down the road for milsim's. Is it the Tippmann's or is there a better choice out there? Like I said I'm new so I'm not that familiar with all of the other brand choices. Thanks in advance.

I would go with the A-5. heres what I recommend; Flatline barrel is the way to go! thats my opinion! For a tippmann i always choose flatline over the apex. Get the squishy paddles off ebay for like 4-8$ and a new ratchet & sprocket( 8$) for the cyclone feed and its better than the plastic ones. I also recommend a 10$ bolt that has a 0-ring on the inside to help with efficiency. that is my setup and then bought the visual accessories like the Opsgear Mp5-k folding stock (25$) and the rap4 ump mag(20$)

Dont get into the E-triggers unless it comes with one for little or no cost. the one I had wasnt reliable. and when it comes to the body kits and such get a gameplan ahead of time!!! and be patient until you find a sale or something. those cyclone upgrades are very cheap and easy to find on EBAY!

Pics of my A5 are in my sig!

baby3.png
Gearbag Sale

Because, I have a problem.
And the only way it will be better is if I have more guns.

#18 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

When you say you plan on modifying the gun for scenarios, are you just referring the the physical appearance of the gun?
Tippmanns and Tippmann-style guns are the best choice if you plan on going for the real firearm look, but if you're trying to make the gun comfortable to carry and to boost performance, there are much better choices out there.

Decide whether you're after form or function and that will help us find the right gun for you.

#19 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

When you say you plan on modifying the gun for scenarios, are you just referring the the physical appearance of the gun?
Tippmanns and Tippmann-style guns are the best choice if you plan on going for the real firearm look, but if you're trying to make the gun comfortable to carry and to boost performance, there are much better choices out there.

Decide whether you're after form or function and that will help us find the right gun for you.

I guess initially I'm more into the appearance. I didn't realize all of the mods that could be done to make them look real until I started browsing this board. Down the road I might shift to a better performance mindset but right now its all about the look to me.

Edited by CoDBLKOPS, 02 March 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#20 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

I would go with the A-5. heres what I recommend; Flatline barrel is the way to go! thats my opinion! For a tippmann i always choose flatline over the apex. Get the squishy paddles off ebay for like 4-8$ and a new ratchet & sprocket( 8$) for the cyclone feed and its better than the plastic ones. I also recommend a 10$ bolt that has a 0-ring on the inside to help with efficiency. that is my setup and then bought the visual accessories like the Opsgear Mp5-k folding stock (25$) and the rap4 ump mag(20$)

Dont get into the E-triggers unless it comes with one for little or no cost. the one I had wasnt reliable. and when it comes to the body kits and such get a gameplan ahead of time!!! and be patient until you find a sale or something. those cyclone upgrades are very cheap and easy to find on EBAY!

Wow they look amazing. Looks like the flatline barrel gives a suppresor style look to the gun.

Edited by CoDBLKOPS, 02 March 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#21 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

I've always felt that modified A5s look kind of weird, since you can always see the MP-5K at the center of them. A lot of them look like MP-5Ks with a bunch of M4 parts grafted on.

The X-7 is much better as a "blank-canvas" to work on, and now that they're discontinued the blowback versions can be had pretty cheap if you look around. It's a Tippmann gun which means it will last forever, so there's no reason not to buy one used.

Look here: http://sporting-good...6.c0.m270.l1313

#22 Duke Scrotum

Duke Scrotum

Fuck Anticipation guy...Right in the Butt!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Wow they look amazing. Looks like the flatline barrel gives a suppresor style look to the gun.

Thanks. and yeah thats why i like the flatline over the apex on a tippmann.

I've always felt that modified A5s look kind of weird, since you can always see the MP-5K at the center of them. A lot of them look like MP-5Ks with a bunch of M4 parts grafted on.

The X-7 is much better as a "blank-canvas" to work on, and now that they're discontinued the blowback versions can be had pretty cheap if you look around. It's a Tippmann gun which means it will last forever, so there's no reason not to buy one used.

Look here: http://sporting-good...6.c0.m270.l1313

He is right about that. the X7 was meant to be more customizable without keeping the MP5-K look on the A-5 will almost always look like even with mods. If you want a MP5-K get the A5 if you want anything else get the x7. (I just traded for a x7 with the x36 stock and flatline barrel) pics here

baby3.png
Gearbag Sale

Because, I have a problem.
And the only way it will be better is if I have more guns.

#23 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

No way.

The autococker is easily the best gun to mod.

#24 NDomipolo

NDomipolo

Tier 1 is coming....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

No way.

The autococker is easily the best gun to mod.

mehhh tippmanns are easier to customize and mod and beat the hell out of,its simple enough for everyone to get and use unlike autocockers which can be difficult to understand.

I would say go tippmann.

#25 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#26 noob123

noob123

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Why is no body saying ion. Faster smoother and lighter than tippmanns and you can make it look however u want. Stuff it in an airsoft body if you want. Plus it has eyes. Which in my opinion is the best thing since sliced bread

Edited by noob123, 02 March 2011 - 04:30 PM.

11r6p10.gif?t=1291492513
SETUP: Shocker SFT w/eigenbolt 
14" Eigenbarrel
Empire Prophecy

http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/c=YGXAeAQUWZQ5TCKByaI2z90mi/

#27 oldnewb

oldnewb

always playing Devil's advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

A note regarding remotes: Make sure you spend a few extra bucks and get one with a slide check. It's a little extra feature that allows you to turn off the air at the gun end of the remote. Without it, you'll have to reach back and turn off your air at the bottle all the time. With the slide check, you'll still have to turn off the air at the bottle at the end of the day, but at least you won't have to every time you want to detach the remote from the marker.

Just about everyone I know who cheaped out and got the basic remote ended up buying another one with a slide check anyway, so save the money and get one with, right from the start.

Remote covers are highly recommended as well. Otherwise the coiled remote will tangle much like the cord on a phone. They don't cost much, can come in many different camo patterns, and really save you alot of trouble down the road.

Having owned quite a number of milsim and speedball markers, I have to say I like both. They're very different shooting experiences, and many people prefer one over the other. Me? I just pick the style I want to go with on that particular day. Sometimes when I've just finished watching a particularly enjoyable action movie, I'll pick up the BT TM7 and run around the field, spraying away one-handed on full auto (stupid, but VERY satisfying). Other times, I'll pick up a pump and be quick, stealthy, and conservative. Other times I'll treat it like a competitive event and pull out my speedball marker for that teeny extra advantage when snapshooting. They're all fun.
Techpb Mike doesn't use Trojan Magnum extra large condoms 'cause he doesn't believe in underboring.

Techpb Mike doesn't hide behind cover. Instead, he shoots down incoming paintballs.

#28 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Why is no body saying ion. Faster smoother and lighter than tippmanns and you can make it look however u want. Stuff it in an airsoft body if you want. Plus it has eyes. Which in my opinion is the best thing since sliced bread

This guy says he's more interested in looks than performance.
It's a lot of trouble to stuff Ion guts into an airsoft shell, though the results can be pretty spectacular.

I've recently built a tactical Ion myself that I really like.
Posted Image

#29 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

I've recently built a tactical Ion myself that I really like.
Posted Image

Nice!!! What is that you have on top? Is it a scope? Sorry if its obvious but I just haven't seen enough to judge.

#30 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

Looks like a red/green dot sight.

#31 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

And blue.
Don't forget blue.
Posted Image

#32 CoDBLKOPS

CoDBLKOPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

And blue.
Don't forget blue.
Posted Image

Cool. Thanks for the pics.

#33 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

And blue.
Don't forget blue.
Posted Image

Sweet, how do you like the blue? When does it seem to be better to use it over the red or green?

#34 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

Blue's pretty useless so far.
It looks neat but red and green are much more visible.

#35 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Interesting, not that it surprises me much.

#36 bombadee

bombadee

super dude

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

I disagree with with tippmann unless it's the phenom. sure they're customizable but they're money pits that seriously lack on the performance side.

I recommend the BT TM7/ TM15 (it's a mini in a milsim body), the G1/SP1 (vibe in a milsim body) and the X7 phenom (a bit pricy though but very customizable). If you want the most customizable and biggest money pit, skip the 98 and get the A5.

Just be sure you want to go with milsim as many newbs want to but quickly realize that milsim isn't for them and that reselling their guns with hundreds of dollars in ups for anything worthwhile is very very hard.
pssssss.....BOOOM!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users