#1 xero

xero

Don't divide by me......

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

Hey all-

I've now been propositioned about 12 times when buying ciggs "Hey, you should try e-ciggs! They...."

And I cut them off right there. Usually they get the hint by me shaking my head. Sometimes they continue.

And I never thought it would leave the gas station, but I just saw someone reccommend E-Ciggs as a way of quitting somking, which is what they are being hyped as.

Well, time to fess up. I smoke. Like a Chiminey. Like a train. Like, bad. bad bad.

And, Irony, I am a respiratory therapist. For those who don't know, a respiratory therapist basically helps keep patients airways open and clear, and helps to ventilate them when they cannot ventilate themselves. Basically, I run ventilators, teach people breathing exercises, give smoking cessation training... all sorts of stuff.

Then I run behind the hospital, and light up. Apparently, I'm a botard. Posted Image

Anyways, a while back, I got a nice little note in my inbox. It was from the American Association of Respiratory Care, a national organization for RT's that I belong to.

And in big, bold letters, it said "ECIGGS WORSE THE REGULAR CIGGARETTES."

And honestly? It's true. 100% true.

See, the e-cigg is basically a mini ultra sonic nebulizer. What it does is it takes a liquid (the nicotine, amonia, and a ton of other ingredients that are NOT found in regular ciggs) and throws it against a quartz crystal that is vibrating at an extremly high speed (very laymans terms...)

This produces ultra, ultra, ultra fine particles. Much smaller then would normally be found with a normal nebulizer, and MUCH smaller then with a regular ciggarette.

Effectivly, it is breaking down these chemicals into tiny particles, which makes them actually get significantly deeper into the lungs then regular smoke.

Additionally, it increases how fast these particles are absorbed into the blood.

But what do I know? I'm just a dude that has made breathing his life. So, for you haters....
http://www.scienceba...ine.org/?p=3541
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8467797.stm
http://blogs.discove...ventional-cigs/
http://www.naturalme...ttes-dangerous/

http://www.dailytech...rticle17662.htm (and apparently they don't even work right!)

Posted Image
My Feedback

"Forgive the shitty pictures of my brand new high-end 2011 model paintball gun I took in front of my massive televisions with my current-gen iPhone, but my parents took my professional quality camera with them on a vacation halfway around the world. MY LIFE IS DIFFICULT."

#2 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

didnt click the link but wow that scary stuff...I know alot of people that tried the ecig to quit

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#3 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Considering I think my post about smoking E-cigs in the stop smoking thread prompted this, I will chime in.

First off - All of your articles are 1 to 1.5 years old. That is around the time these devices were being introduced into the public eye, and at that time there had not been many tests on these. You can find several articles now that condone E-cigs as a relatively effective tobacco cessation aid, other articles that deem them a better alternative to smoking normal cigarettes, and more on the ingredients and tech of these devices.

I did quite a lot of research into this stuff before I bought my set. This differs slightly between manufacturers, but for the most part, what you are smoking is a water vapor that has nicotine and one or two other FDA approved ingredients in it, including flavorings. The tech behind them is essentially a long, rechargeable battery that you screw onto a cartridge that has a heating filament inside of it (similar to a minature electric stove). When you inhale, air is drawn through a set of small holes through the cartridge, which is being heated by the filament. The inhaled air, carries the heated fluid (now steam) into the lungs, and blood stream. What you exhale is essentially the same - mostly water vapor, with trace amounts of nicotine and other safe chemicals.

The cartridges you use to smoke and the refill liquids you can buy have varying degrees of nicotine potency. Over time, you can use less potent cartridges until you are smoking 0% nicotine, then you just have to break the desire to physically hold and inhale the cigarettes, which is much easier once you have quit consuming nicotine. A different method, which I have been using, is to just smoke the highest concentration cartridge for a little while, and extending the time between your next session.

Using that method, Ive gone from smoking a pack a day or more to smoking an E-cig for 10 minutes, twice a day, which would be roughly 2-3 cigs. That is in just under 2 weeks. Yes, it could be done many other ways, but I have felt no down side to this method. No nic-fits, no jitters, no nothing, which is a LOT better than I can say from the last several times I have tried to quit.

Do some more research, talk to people who have actually used these to stop smoking, or who smoke them regularly, and still feel much healthier, and perhaps you might find out that maybe they CAN be doing something right. ;)

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#4 Trum_15

Trum_15

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

seems like you really like them sasquatch :lol:

#5 Pirate

Pirate

I'm in it for the booty.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, I tried them once (they sell them at the bar I go to a lot, and I'm good friends with the girls that tend the bar, so they gave me one to try).

One, I didn't feel the buzz at all. Two, it tasted like crap. I'll stick to the occasional cigarette I smoke when standing around drinking. And Cigars/Pipes.

Headbangers Scenario Team
Proudly sponsored by
Hitman Gear | Pinokio Hoppers | Stiffi Barrels | ANS Gear
If the good die young, I'll fucking live forever

#6 Zenoah

Zenoah

Beast from the East

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

easiest way to quit cigarrettes: when you know you have to quit and you can just keep cutting down on them, you have to do this: only smoke when you smoke. dont clean, play guitar, walk, or talk to anyone. just sit there and only smoke. dont do anything but smoke. if you isolate yourself and only do that, you will quit. just make sure you cut back on cigarettes slowly and dont go cold turkey. seen it happen before.
Halo Pro.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users