Photo

Having inconsistency problems with your Phantom?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

I see a lot of posts of people having inconsistent velocities with their Phantoms. So here is my attempt at and end-all thread. I listed them in order of most common to least common.

1. Roll outs. The ball doesn't have to completely fall out of the barrel, even less than 2 inches can cause a big velocity fluctuation.
Solutions:
Freak bored barrel. My personal favorite. Pretty cheap and easy. Get a small bore insert (many people make custom ones) pop it in, and forget it's there.
I like the Freak bored barrel 50x more that detente rings as they are so much more softer on paint and a lot less easy to loose (my main problem with the rings). Freak Inserts can also up your efficiency a little.
Posted Image
Photo Credits to Bryce Larson

People who provide the service:
Super_Stanchy Customs
O’Dells Paintball
Bryce Larson

Just remember Freak barrels can only help your consistency if you have nice consistent paint!

2 TPC Wiggling:
There is a TPC (tuned port compressor) that controls the amount of air forced onto the paintball. It is adjustable and it can wiggle around sometimes. On the side of the bolt there is a nylon set screw (shown below). That is made to grip the threads of the TPC to make is so it doesn't move. A lot of people do not know how to set it correctly, so in turn it moves around causing inconsistent velocity.
Solutions:
First you're going to want to remove the TPC. Second, with and Allen wrench screw in the nylon set screw until you can see two threads of the screw when you look at the internals of the bolt. Then screw the TPC back in being careful not to damage the threads (as they are very soft). Then adjust to desired velocity and you're set!
Posted Image
3. Moving Cup seal.
Sometimes the Cup Seal may be loose and twisting causing air to escape.
Solution: Disassemble your valve completely. The cup seal should be attached to the power tube. Put some sort of thread sealant on the threads of the inside of the cup. Then screw it back into the power tube tightly and you should be good to go.
Posted Image

4. Leaky seals.
There are only 4 different seals in the entire Phantom, so it should not be hard to find which one is leaking. There is the Bolt oring, the valve main oring (both of which are the same) the cupseal, and the barrel o-ring. Well...there is 5 if you include the seal on the 12 gram quick changer.
Solution:
Change your seal!

There are a few more other extremes you can go to to improve your consistency such as polishing your internals and things like that. The Phantom is a very simple gun that is not hard to figure out at all.

If I made a mistake or left something out feel free to point it out.
:)

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#2 kawasaki.kdx200man

kawasaki.kdx200man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

Good write up! Wish it was up when I had my phantom.

#3 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

The freak inserts from Super-Stanchy are great. I had that done to my personal phantom a while back. I've heard Bryce does a great job as well.

The nylon screw was the biggest issue I had with my phantom. The gun was horribly inconsistent. It's amazing what a small screw can do to the performance of a marker.

Great write up, Tor. :tup:

#4 A.O.N.O(goldenchild)

A.O.N.O(goldenchild)

Ride the spiral to the end.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

A sticky would really make this the end all thread

#5 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

A sticky would really make this the end all thread

no one ever reads stickies... trust me

good thread though... if we want a temporary delay of people saying my phantoms inconsistent then we can keep bumping this, which is more effective than stickies now because in pump world there is only 1 pinned topic, and you have to take the initiative to check that and look at the categories and see if it's there... which is too much work, or people are unaware of the fact that they exist so they (generally newer posters) will just come in and post and we end up linking them to a sticky and getting warned for telling them to check there first, or reanswer the same question countless times....

i prefer bookmarking the common links i need for common questions so i can just link, and say the answer can be found in the link

PS: you want an end all thread?
http://www.techpb.co...showtopic=73951

Edited by The-Phantom, 16 March 2011 - 04:05 PM.

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#6 WoodsBaller57

WoodsBaller57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Over the past two weekends, I had terrible problems with Ball Breaks and Inconsistency. Just as your thread mentioned, freak inserts ended up making a big difference. I had been shooting Marbalizers for a couple weeks at one field and the right insert for them was the .682. But when I went to another field and began using Diablo Heat, I began getting ball breaks galore. I came to realize that I was using too small of an insert, I would get a hand full of good shots, then I would either break balls or a ball would actually get stuck on one shot and stacking up in the insert on subsequent shot. Moving up to a .687 made a big difference.

This past weekend I went to chrono and my velocity was ALL OVER the board. 220 - 170 - 235 - ball break - 150 - 210. I kept adjusting with my hex tool. Shot thru a 50 ball hopper and still wasn't happy with the velocity but I just got it to around 245 and gave up on getting it any better. I had a BAD day, with my squeegee in my barrel during virtually every game. On Monday, I completely disassembled the Phantom and found that that the set screw was really loose. I tightened it up, cleaned up all the ball break paint and lightly lubed the marker up and reassembled it. I took it out today and it shot like a champ...150 shots without a single ball break. It was shooting straight and accurate. What a difference a little attention to detail made.

WoodsBaller57
Still Playin' Woodsball.....Now Playin' Pump! ;-{)}
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.
Quote; Left Handed
Chhhck Shhck Is The Sound I Hear.... Just Before You Hear Posted Image

#7 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Good to hear you got it resolved (:

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#8 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

Over the past two weekends, I had terrible problems with Ball Breaks and Inconsistency. Just as your thread mentioned, freak inserts ended up making a big difference. I had been shooting Marbalizers for a couple weeks at one field and the right insert for them was the .682. But when I went to another field and began using Diablo Heat, I began getting ball breaks galore. I came to realize that I was using too small of an insert, I would get a hand full of good shots, then I would either break balls or a ball would actually get stuck on one shot and stacking up in the insert on subsequent shot. Moving up to a .687 made a big difference.

This past weekend I went to chrono and my velocity was ALL OVER the board. 220 - 170 - 235 - ball break - 150 - 210. I kept adjusting with my hex tool. Shot thru a 50 ball hopper and still wasn't happy with the velocity but I just got it to around 245 and gave up on getting it any better. I had a BAD day, with my squeegee in my barrel during virtually every game. On Monday, I completely disassembled the Phantom and found that that the set screw was really loose. I tightened it up, cleaned up all the ball break paint and lightly lubed the marker up and reassembled it. I took it out today and it shot like a champ...150 shots without a single ball break. It was shooting straight and accurate. What a difference a little attention to detail made.

WoodsBaller57

the only thing peculiar to me is, didn't punkworks say underboring, even at a fairly extreme scale, will increase efficiency and reduce ball breaks... (i know with a pump you want consistency, but just because your efficient doesn't mean you should be chopping paint!) i'm curious if size was the only factor causing the breaks or if there was another variable that may have been fixed when you cleaned and reassembled the gun

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#9 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Well, Diablo Heat is a pretty shitty paintball.

Posted Image
Proud American

#10 WoodsBaller57

WoodsBaller57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

I made no changes other than cleaning it all the paint up and tightening the tpc set screw. I think the TPC was getting loose and shooting extremely hot and actually blowing the ball to bits.

WoodsBaller57

the only thing peculiar to me is, didn't punkworks say underboring, even at a fairly extreme scale, will increase efficiency and reduce ball breaks... (i know with a pump you want consistency, but just because your efficient doesn't mean you should be chopping paint!) i'm curious if size was the only factor causing the breaks or if there was another variable that may have been fixed when you cleaned and reassembled the gun

Still Playin' Woodsball.....Now Playin' Pump! ;-{)}
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.
Quote; Left Handed
Chhhck Shhck Is The Sound I Hear.... Just Before You Hear Posted Image

#11 crazychristian

crazychristian

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

This thread helped me fix my nylon screw problem - I was going about the velocity adjustment all wrong lol. Thanks!

Posted Image
Sig made by me :D
My Feedback

#12 Crashkt90

Crashkt90

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

May i add. For the nylon screw, i went to home depot to find the metal version and what a did was grind it down till there is about a 1/8 left and screw it in to "lock" the nylon screw in place even better.

Reverse Drop Forward Gloss Black Modified Stock Class Phantom

#13 crazychristian

crazychristian

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:59 PM

Could we get this added to the sticky with the other phantom guides? This is great for newbies.

Posted Image
Sig made by me :D
My Feedback

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users