3 replies to this topic

#1 Infinity Kid!

Infinity Kid!

Infinity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hello, I am living in michigan and I want to get a job reffing.

*How old do you have to be?

*what are some things you have to no?

*What kind of pay do you get?

Michigan paintballer #45

Infinity Legend V-force Profilers (AMBER LENS) Black/Gold Dye I4`s
Crossfire 68/45 w/ empire 2011 grey static cover. Empire 2010 contact LTD jersey/pants (Waffle)
Empire 2011 bounce/chest protector.Ghetto rigged elbow pads.
JT knee pads :) Empire 09 "hinge" 4+7 pod pack (Black plaid)
White dye rotor

#2 Truth Hurts

Truth Hurts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

If you're interested in perusing a career at a paintball field there are a few things that you may want to know before you dive head first into the position.

• Any minor who is 11 up to 18 years of age and not specifically exempted from the Youth Employment Standards Act (P.A. 90 of 1978) and who works in a paid or unpaid position, must have a work permit. The minimum age for employment is 14 years, except that a minor 11 years of age or older may be employed as a golf or bridge caddy. A minor 13 years of age or older may be employed in certain farm operations or setting traps for trap skeet or sporting clays. Additionally, a minor, at least 11 years of age, may be employed as a youth athletic performance referee. Not sure if fields are covered by this but I've always been told that you need to be at least 16 in order to work at a field... I guess it can vary from facility to facility.
  • Some of the things you should know are the most basic fundamentals of the game. This includes rules, playing parameters, safety regulations, and any other knowledge that the field may want you to know. First aid/CPR is also highly sought after by field owners/operators. Professionalism should be on the top of the list when it comes to work ethics as well, refs can potentially drive business away from a field just as fast as bad weather.
  • Here is the biggest issue that comes with the territory. Most fields pay minimum wage to their employees with a few perks on the side. I know that some of Michigan's fields will offer an extra $1.00-2.00 per hour if you are trained in CPR. The low pay drives older potential refs away and the younger enthusiasts into the positions, which usually causes issues due to lack of professionalism.
  • Most fields rely on their teams or their volunteers to keep the establishment operating. Few fields actually employ people for pay since the profit return in paintball is generally low.
  • The best thing for most players that would like to get involved with the fields would be to set up a volunteering program at a local field which can be organized by the owners/management. Recognizing your work ethic and dedication, compensation is typical in the form of other means such as paint discounts, free admission, free air, etc. This is similar to what most fields offer as a "Sponsorship" nowadays, where a player volunteers X amount of time for X amount of benefits.

Becoming a Ref is not really all it's cracked up to be, I've reffed at multiple fields in Michigan and all have pretty much been the same. Some take care of you and some just take advantage of your passion for the game for their own benefit. This is something you need to recognize and make a decision whether to stay or find another.

#3 bradisawsome95

bradisawsome95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for all the info :D
Bob Long Marq 7 Contract Killer
Etek 3 LT
Azoding Kaos Pump

www.youtube.com/user/paintballbrad95

#4 Infinity Kid!

Infinity Kid!

Infinity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

I reffed and I am 13~going on 14 and it was good!

Here are some tips

**Dont be afraid to get hit
**Wear a cup
**Your in charge! Dont let them take advantage of you!

If you cant step up, then dont do it! You have to have a loud mouth, You will use it!

Michigan paintballer #45

Infinity Legend V-force Profilers (AMBER LENS) Black/Gold Dye I4`s
Crossfire 68/45 w/ empire 2011 grey static cover. Empire 2010 contact LTD jersey/pants (Waffle)
Empire 2011 bounce/chest protector.Ghetto rigged elbow pads.
JT knee pads :) Empire 09 "hinge" 4+7 pod pack (Black plaid)
White dye rotor

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users