14 replies to this topic

#1 jdatkinsn

jdatkinsn

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

I fully understand the good intentions involved with having a "Paintball Nutrition Forum", but there's so much bad/faulty/terrible/dangerous advice being dispensed in that forum that it either needs to be moderated by someone who can provide proof of appropriate medical certification or it should be closed.

You've got people telling others to make decisions about diet, workout and drug/supplement use that have done little more than read other internet forums. You've got guys asking about proper dosage for wafarin and other blood thinners when it comes to playing paintball. You've got one guy who said "eat a bunch and get really fat and then turn all the fat into muscle" (I shit you not, I'll dig up the post and everything). There is the occasional P90X discussion and sometimes I get into it with people about carb-cycling and varying insulin responses, but for the most part that forum can ONLY do harm. The only disclaimer in the forum is one I wrote. Some of the pinned threads contain suggestions such as "run until you are so exhausted you can no longer run".

I'm all for a well-run nutrition forum, but bad advice in THIS forum is different than someone saying that a broken DM5 for $900 is a steal. I imploreeee you guys to make some changes.

-John

(P.S.- I really do think everyone does a great job and, not that anyone gives a shit what I think, the staff and rules on this forum make it one of the best experiences on the web.)

#2 pizimp

pizimp

Jewmacian baller (jewish and Jamaican) Viva la Israel viva la Ja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

first

but also, I agree

Edited by pizimp, 27 March 2011 - 07:24 PM.

Posted Image

Its like a dirty crack head rubbing crack dust over his body and humping a gigantic crack rock....

Buying your upped guns

#3 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

I agree as well. Cool idea...but dangerous if anyone tried some of the stuff.

#4 Trum_15

Trum_15

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

100% agree, some things that are said in there are really dangerous.

#5 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

I love the barefoot discussion, but both JD and I have put up threads about watching the advise you give, to no real avail.
The nutrition section was a good idea, and a honest one. but with the general audience on Techpb (givin the age demographic) its really hard to give sound information, or get sound information on a topic without getting replies which are so far from intelligent its scary. IE the hundreds of times people post up "do X until Failure"

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#6 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

If you get rid of the forum do you really think it'll stop people from posting the questions?

#7 pinkyy

pinkyy

I'm slightly alive...

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

I have been given a lot of good advice in that forum. Please it is up to people weather they want to follow what is being said. Everyone has a right to listen or not. If someone is unsure about someone saying something they can always call the doctor and ask or w.e But imo i think it should stay open.
To those brave men and women who fought for their lives, who fought to save our lives. We stand at attention in honor of our fallen ones.

Lest We Forget those who fought so hard, never be forgotten. Never take anything for granted, always remember always respect.. ♥

Citrus Connection Scenario Paintball. Me, Crazy Dancing Pink Pant, Crazy Eyed Canadian..

#8 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Some of the advice is off but I wouldn't go as far to say it's dangerous by any means.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#9 jdatkinsn

jdatkinsn

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

I have been given a lot of good advice in that forum. Please it is up to people weather they want to follow what is being said. Everyone has a right to listen or not. If someone is unsure about someone saying something they can always call the doctor and ask or w.e But imo i think it should stay open.

... you do understand how silly this statement is, right?

Also, I stand corrected, Eskimo has also been very vocal about calling BS and telling people to take everything with a kiloton of salt.

#10 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Don't be so moody jd.
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#11 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Don't be so moody jd.

:lol:

we should not get our panties in a twist, but this is still a issue which we do worry about, some of the things you see on those topics... head desk.

Citrus Connection

#12 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,950 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

If i can make a suggestion (not that my opinion matters much) I have been more than impressed with many of the arguments that JD raises in the nutrition forum and since he seems to be so knowledgeable and can back up much of his opinions why not make him and Eskimo mods for the nutrition forum (I haven't read alot of Eskimo's posts but others seem to think that he is helpful also). If they are up to it maybe they could help to stop all this misinformation from floating around. If modding is too much of a responsibility and time commitment then maybe not having a nutrition forum and just having a bunch of stickied write ups with frequently asked questions might be a better option, since many of the questions are very similar.

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#13 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

The thing with JD is he knows his shit, there is no doubting it. But he doesn't put it into terms that people can understand. Myself and a select few others can tell exactly what he is saying. If i wasn't doing a Sports and Exercise Science course along side human biology i'd get lost with some of the terms he uses. He needs to "dumb" it down so to speak.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#14 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

I would be in for having a big compilation of a "general Nutrition overview" and a "general health overview" These to topics (or split them further) could be used as a "go to source" ie, when someone says "im fat" instead of explaining to them, no this isnt the end of the world. here is alist of things to look at
- your daily diet (eating pizza pockets for lunch every day? hmmmm)
- activity
- AGE GROUP [im 12 and can only lift X pounds] answer: your 12

I'm be down to do a write up on a general guide to age groups, dealing with muscular mass, fat mass, mass mass.
this way the 13 year old doesnt think he HAS to go start hitting the weights.

eh, bouncin idea's

Edited by Eskimo, 30 March 2011 - 02:51 PM.

Citrus Connection

#15 jdatkinsn

jdatkinsn

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Don't be so moody jd.

Only as soon as you stop being so goddamn charming.

Kidding :tup:

If i can make a suggestion (not that my opinion matters much) I have been more than impressed with many of the arguments that JD raises in the nutrition forum and since he seems to be so knowledgeable and can back up much of his opinions why not make him and Eskimo mods for the nutrition forum (I haven't read alot of Eskimo's posts but others seem to think that he is helpful also). If they are up to it maybe they could help to stop all this misinformation from floating around. If modding is too much of a responsibility and time commitment then maybe not having a nutrition forum and just having a bunch of stickied write ups with frequently asked questions might be a better option, since many of the questions are very similar.

The thing with JD is he knows his shit, there is no doubting it. But he doesn't put it into terms that people can understand. Myself and a select few others can tell exactly what he is saying. If i wasn't doing a Sports and Exercise Science course along side human biology i'd get lost with some of the terms he uses. He needs to "dumb" it down so to speak.

I appreciate it, and I may have written this post in a bit of fluster as there are actually quite a few people doling out good advice in the nutrition forum. I often re-read the shit I write and realize just how much of a douche I come across as (or am in general).

Fact of the matter is, though, that TechPB is much more friendly and welcoming to a younger (and more impressionable) crowd than any other big-time paintball forum on the internet. This is fantastic in almost every respect, and one of the main reasons I come here: I just like the people here, however young or inexperienced or curious. With a forum like the Nutrition forum, though, you've got a different animal: if someone asks if they should spend $300 on an old Spyder E-99 and a user tells them it's the deal of a lifetime and then they in turn purchase that gun, they're only out a couple hundred bucks. Nothing to scoff at, sure, but certainly not the end of the world, even for the most budget conscious paintball player. The nutrition/health forum is different. You've got people asking about Rx meds, asking about their Osgood Schlatter's diagnoses, asking about Warfarin adjustments- if even one single young, impressionable kid takes this advice the wrong way, it could end up a lot worse than a $300 POS Spyder.

I'd be happy to moderate the forum, but I didn't make the thread with that intention- I really just care the there's not a bunch of harmful bunk flying around. I don't know anyone who deals with forum management and I haven't had a single meaningful conversation with Mike, Willy or otherwise, so they have no reason to trust me (other than my top notch MCAT scores :) :tup: ) I just think that if there's one forum that needs a more watchful eye, it's that one. Ain't nobody wanna see nobody hurt.

P.S.- cosign Eskimo for mod of... well, anything. Great dude :tup:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users