XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

Guide To Living Legends

Tips, Tricks, and Preparation

Disclaimer: I am a 4 year veteran of Living Legends.. I am in no way the ultimate guru on Living Legends however there have been multiple posts on preparation for Living Legends; how much it costs, how in shape must you be, etc. This is meant to be a guide to help with those questions and give some more information besides that. I realize that sometimes I ramble when I explain things. Mods feel free to edit my post to make it easier to read if I do. I can edit in more information as others contribute if need be. Thanks for reading.

Preparation:
Physical Preparation

There is no clear cut way to prepare for Living Legends. Everyone is physically different and take more or less to actually get in shape for physically demanding paintball. Don't kid yourself, Living Legends is very physically demanding. I know for a fact that while many of us thought we were in shape in 2010, Mother Nature proved to us we didn't know jack. The heat index, if I remember correctly, was something around 100, give or take. This was insane weather for paintball in May. You must be prepared to handle this type of heat. One of the things I've learned to do during extremely hot paintball play is not wear antiperspirant. Many people are worried about smelling. Well, everyone who plays paintball in 100 degree heat will smell. If they say they don't, they're lying. You can always wear deodorant to fight the smell. Let your body do its natural thing, sweat. At extreme temperatures your body sweats to drop your core temperature. You start interfering with that and you can make yourself feel miserable. You can always shower later to feel all clean and sparkly.

Another thing you can work on is flexibility. Let's face it. Winter months are hard on people who are not all that physically active and even if you do work out flexibility may still be limited. Needless to say paintball for hours on end with adrenaline running high can make you ignore all those little pops, cracks, and other noises coming from joints and muscles. You don't have time to worry about slight pain when its more fun to dish it out to other players. Personally, I stretch every day. I don't sprawl out on a yoga or Pilates mat, but I do stretch. Sports in high school taught me how important it is to stay flexible. If you don't believe me, read this. Here's a link to some basic stretches, though you may find the girl to be more appealing than the stretching. Least you can say you were interested in your health at one point.

Hydration

Last year, mostly because of the heat, there were multiple people who were actually submitted into the hospital because of dehydration. Do not let this happen to you. You've spent countless hours getting prepared mentally and physically, spent hundreds of dollars, and now you lie in a hospital bed with an IV. There is only on option. You should be drinking water for a solid week before the event. Get your body into into its natural rhythm with purely water and you'll feel much better than if you'd be drinking pop before the game. Drink water until your pee is clear, then keep drinking, until and throughout Living Legends. Alcohol and pop/soda will only dehydrate you even more due to your body diluting and purging through more bathroom breaks.

Cardio

While there are some parts of the United States that allow for year round events, there are some states which basically shut down (paintball speaking) come winter. People start getting lax and stop working out until the next season. We all do it. But if you do that and consider Living Legends to be the first big game of the year for you and your team you will suffer, period. This is not a 4-6 hour scenario. It's two days of grind against some of the best paintball teams in the world. They are all looking to win and push you into the dirt. The bottom line cardio requirement I've made for myself for Living Legends is to be able to run at least 1 mile without stopping. This may not seem that hard to many people and to most its not. The reason for this is the start of the game on Saturday. Forming a strong battle line further down the field is important for the rest of the day. The farther you push in the beginning, the easier it is to run early missions and keep the enemy under pressure. A mile without paintball gear on is easy, put those 15-20 pounds of gear on and try to run it and it vastly changes. Vest/pod pack straps will dig in, cleats/boots don't allow you to run nearly as well as regular shoes, masks will limit air intake (possibly), etc... You will slow down over a large distance, radically faster than with gym clothes on. The first charge last year was around a quarter mile dead sprint down a gravel road. A quarter mile can play hell on your heart and lungs if you're not ready for it, especially without all that extra weight you're not used to having on your person.

Mental Preparation

If you can dream it, you can do it (well for the most part). Thinking you can't go on in a paintball game because you're in pain and just giving up is not the way to handle paintball. Spending a few hours out on the field will put your body through its rounds that's for sure. Many people, including myself, start to feel down as the aches start appearing. You're body is a natural wonder. It will start bouncing back very fast. Give it a little rest and food and it will come around. 15 minute breaks throughout the day to recharge will do wonders for your body and mind. If you find you're getting frustrated on the field, take a step back and have a few deep breaths to settle down. You'll only make mistakes if you play without control of your mind.

TLDR:

• Wear Deodorant, not Antiperspirant
  • Water x 500
  • Cardio - Start at running a mile non-stop and go from there depending on play style

Preparing for the Field Itself:

Most woodsball/scenario fields on this continent deal with Poison Ivy/Sumac/Oak and CPX is no exception. Please read this guide to prepare for what you will undoubtedly encounter.

Gear Preparation:

Here's a basic list that came out last year for people going to Living Legends that I used and found it very helpful. I thought I'd pass it on. There are things crossed off because personally I don't need them. Please don't flame for that reason.
livinglegendschecklist.png

Everyone has their own ways of prepping their gear. I won't try to explain how to do it because there are things I can't explain due to gun/gear differences between myself and nearly everyone. However, one thing we all have in common. We all use CO2 or Air tanks. First thing to do is check your hydro date. Here's how to do it. I personally had to send off two tanks to be re-hydro'd this last week because they "died" last year. This can take upwards of 1-2 weeks depending on where you have it done. Keep that in mind.

Another part of your gear which you may not think about at all on any given day is your socks. Two days of running, jumping, crawling, etc can play hell on your feet. Protect them. Keep dry socks on your feet. Wet socks due to water or sweat will only allow blisters to form that much quicker. I recommend bringing at least two pairs of socks for each day of play and switch off halfway through the day.

Another thing many people choose to ignore is a First Aid Kit. I bring one with me to all scenario games, no I lied, TO ALL GAMES. All those little scratches and sprains add up. Keep your body protected if you have to. Ankle tape, band-aids, and even super cool glow sticks come in First Aid Kits. Use them to keep you in the game.

Microfiber cloths are also great to have in mass quantity. You can buy them in any auto store or even in the auto section at Wal-Mart or Target for cheap. A few bucks for five cloths. With the amount of paint in the air and now First Strike Rounds, you or a friend near you will be goggled, period. They can keep your mask clean. Use them. They also have the habit of disappearing from your gear site when you're on the field. Keep some backups hidden in your locked gear bag.

Which brings me to my next point. Use a padlock on your gear bag(s), whether combination or key. I prefer combination because I lose keys. The vast majority of people are trustworthy but that's not everyone. Living Legends is HUGE. 1400+ players on average. Are you willing to bet 1400+ people are trustworthy? I'm not. If you refuse to buy a lock, at least gear up next to the TechPB campers/tents. There are constantly people walking around and gearing up along with also just plain watching out for shady people.

If you plan on spending a lot of time on the north side of the field near the rail road tracks or near Bedlam and Armageddon in the jungle you may want to consider bringing some bug spray. It can be thick and humid in those trees and the bugs love every second of it. After spending hundreds of dollars to get Living Legends the last thing that needs to happen is to be carried away by mosquitoes.

Another must have for the weekend is Sun screen. During the Dinner and Final battles both teams will be sitting out in the wide open sunlight. Just because it's May doesn't mean that the Sun is still hibernating. It can only take 20-30 minutes for a sun burn to happen to many people. If you get burned on Saturday or throughout the day Sunday you will be miserable. Try to keep some Sun screen on your neck and face, along with any other uncovered skin.

At The Game:

I'm not one of your parents. I won't tell you how to act. I will however give you some tips for the weekend to make it more enjoyable.

Be prepared

• Know the rules beforehand, here they are.
  • Have all your pre-registration papers with you before you go stand in line on Friday or Saturday.
  • Have all your gear ready to go, spend a few minutes immediately after chrono to get your vests/pod packs ready for play

Talk to new people

• I met many people I've never seen face to face and had a great timewith them over the years(Willie, Mike, Orange, Borg, Kitty, PrometheanFlame, ChemistFunk, BryceLarson, Cockerpunk, Pacostacos, and dozens more)
  • You don't have to meet everyone but have a good time, after all we are there to play!

Chrono early and fast

• Faster chrono = more paint for the field
  • Use a chrono at your local field or your own personal chrono to give you a good idea of where your gun is shooting for minimum adjustments on game day

Check out vendors that interest you

• There are tons of free items just sitting out on booths from vendors, along with sales people walking around all day to help you find that low priced marker/accessory. Bring some extra cash to get in on these great deals if you want to. Don't forget to keep this extra money in mind when figuring out funding below.
  • Not exactly a vendor but check out the PBWoman Tent if they are on site. At LL3 they were giving out free ice cold waters and also snacks such as bars and bananas for people who walked in. They were all having a great time keeping us all in the game and I can't thank them enough for the work they did.

Get to the first insertion at least 10 minutes before the game starts

• Everyone at the line at game start = a great first offensive (obvious but necessary). Many people still have problems with having their gear ready. See above also.

Eat lunch early

• Eating lunch before the big "lunch rush" does two things for your body 1) replenishes nutrients that are lost very quickly into the day and 2) allows you to stay on the field while the opponents are settled down for a casual 30 minute lunch. This can be huge for a point comeback or making a bigger lead.
  • Keep a few granola bars to nibble on out in the field if you feel that you need a pick me up. This can keep your hunger in check. Remember to keep your mask down and on at all times.

Map of the Area: Get to know this! Pending update... ;)
LL5map.jpg

Cost of Living Legends (as of December 2013):
This is taken from a college student standpoint. The prices below will change for multiple reasons for nearly everyone but this is probably one of the more normal price "packages" (lol). This can also be very affected by how far you live from Joliet. Travel expenses were calculated driving from central South Dakota. Re-calculate using your own address for a more exact price. This should give you a relative guess.

GRAND TOTAL AT BOTTOM IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ALL THE MATH AND EXPLANATIONS:

The Game Itself:

Pre-Registration: 50$
Paintballs (Pre-Registration price per case): 75$ x 2 = 150$
CO2/Air Tank Registration: 15$
T-shirt: 20$

Sub-Total: 235$

The t-shirt itself is entirely optional but I look at it this way, not many people have them, and it provides some great nostalgia when you look at it. You can say you were there and had a great time. 20$ dollars in the long term is unimportant compared to the memories that come with it.

Travel:

Note about travel- This is for people considering driving. I have calculated driving compared to taking a flight and its cheaper for me. It may not be for you. Take this however you will. This can vastly change depending on how far away you live from Joliet.
Distance to Joliet, Il from my home Mitchell, SD:
662 miles, so lets say 670 miles for ease of math.

Yay, math time sad.gif

My truck (A 2012 F-150 EcoBoost) gets lets say 20 mpg on the interstate. It varies depending on my mood.

670miles/20mpg= 33.5 gallons. Allowing for some road rage moments and also for traffic speed variations lets say 40 gallons.

Midwest Gas average Today (12/15) is 3.00$/gallon. The closer to Memorial Day we get, the higher it'll be. I'll guess it'll be around 3.25$ at the least.

40 gallons * 3.25$/gallon = 130.00$

This is one way... so 130.00$ * 2 ways = 260.00$

This cost was split between two people (myself and my friend) so its back to 130.00$ for me alone.

Sub-Total: 130.00$

Hotel:

Yes, you may camp at CPX however I would rather pay extra money to sleep in a bed, brush my teeth (you can do this camping), shower, etc... Last year I stayed at the Fairfield Inn with Orange and my best friend so we split the room 3 ways. We stayed at the hotel Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, so 3 nights. I refused to drive home after the final battle and I suggest many people do the same. You will be wiped out. Relax in Chicago/Joliet on Sunday. Have some pizza and celebrate a great weekend of paintball with a well deserved beer/pop(soda)/water.
Fairfield Inn Price per night 99$.  This year there are discounts available at select Marriot hotels, check out the Living Legends facebook group for more info!

Skipping math and simplifying-

Sub-Total: 100$

Food and Beverages:

Yes, I'm a penny pincher when it comes to buying food at venues. I buy food at Wal-Mart or Target and bring it in a cooler to games. I saved tons of money last year because I brought a case of water for myself and my best friend per day of play. There wasn't much left at the end of the weekend either. I believe CPX Sports sells water at 3$ per bottle. You can do the math if you wish. I also had many granola snack bars and also some Gatorade for electrolytes.

Sub-Total: 50$

Misc Costs:

This section includes random fun costs; going out to eat (I did twice at LL3, once upon arriving in Joliet and once on Sunday with the TechPB crew. Hey we also saw Dynasty at the bar, maybe you could too), driving around, etc...

Sub-Total: 50$

GRAND TOTAL OF LIVING LEGENDS WITHOUT MISC COSTS: 515.00$

GRAND TOTAL OF LIVING LEGENDS WITH MISC COSTS: 565.00$

Have fun and see you all at CPX this Spring. TechPB TO THE FRONT!

3/31 Edit: Flexibility Section added.

Edited by XGC_Cheevo, 15 December 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#2 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

You will never be 9 headbands agg.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

The word "water" only appeared 5 times in your guide, I suggest a minimum of 500 times.

Fix it, and re-submit it.

Thanks.

Posted Image

#3 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

The word "water" only appeared 5 times in your guide, I suggest a minimum of 500 times.

Thanks.

TLDR:
  • Water x 500
  • Cardio - Start at running a mile non-stop and go from there depending on play style
  • Stay in control of your mind, don't let yourself get frustrated or think you can't go on
Fixed for you.

#4 pizimp

pizimp

Jewmacian baller (jewish and Jamaican) Viva la Israel viva la Ja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

sticky this please, this was rather helpfull
Posted Image

Its like a dirty crack head rubbing crack dust over his body and humping a gigantic crack rock....

Buying your upped guns

#5 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Nice write-up!

#6 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

LL4 is my first scenario. I assumed most of this stuff, but very good to read.

Sniff sniff...smells like.....
Posted Image

#7 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Thanks.

TLDR:
  • Water x 500
  • Stay in control of your mind, don't let yourself get frustrated or think you can't go on
Fixed for you.

:wub:

Posted Image

#8 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

sticky this please, this was rather helpfull

Nice write-up!

LL4 is my first scenario. I assumed most of this stuff, but very good to read.

Sniff sniff...smells like...

Thanks. Hoped it would help some people.

#9 Plattypus

Plattypus

You are FAT. First After Ten. - Ced.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

Damn, I wish I could go. :(

The travel part alone is more than the grand total you posted for me.

This deserves a sticky, good job! :tup:

Edited by Plattypus, 29 March 2011 - 10:19 PM.

If you get shot in the jaw you remember you are playing paintball, man the fuck up and say thank you sir, may I have another. - Cdn

Southern California Ballers Club - Grazi #69 - Brotastic Bro Club of Win V.1
My Feedback +3/0/0
Posted Image

#10 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

On hydration:

Drink plenty of water several days before the event to be hydrated at the beginning of the event.

#11 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

Nein, you tiny demons! NEIN!!

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

Yeah...the cost of travel is keeping me away this year, too. That shit is brutal. The drive from Minnesota wasn't that bad, but I can't afford to fly up from Florida. Give 'em Hell for me, Cheevo.

Posted Image

Grammar Nazi Fuhrer : LL3 Soulja : Eleven Percenter

#12 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

On hydration:

Drink plenty of water several days before the event to be hydrated at the beginning of the event.

Edited in.

Yeah...the cost of travel is keeping me away this year, too. That shit is brutal. The drive from Minnesota wasn't that bad, but I can't afford to fly up from Florida. Give 'em Hell for me, Cheevo.

Will do. Sucks you can't make it man :(

#13 splatter19

splatter19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hey guys, i will be attending ll4 and this is my first scenario event. I recently had a hernia repair surgery and i am kind of out of shape. I asked willie and he said you could go at your own pace. How intense is it like? from the begging part to when people start setting up?
HHHHHHHHHHHK ARMY!!!

#14 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

There's plenty of field for all ......Go at your own pace and enjoy.

#15 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

There is tons of field to play on, from rugged ravines on the north side to flat forests on the south side. You can do whatever you want to make the day enjoyable. There will be people on all corners of the field to shoot at. Get there at your own pace and enjoy the experience. Its awesome, believe me.

#16 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

You can also always have a nice nap like myself on the field when heading back to your base!

Posted Image

#17 EricCartman

EricCartman

Senior Member-LL4 Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

stikcy this
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I hit you over the head with until you realize that I'm in command."-Serenity
Posted Image
My clubs Valken Users Club Steelie Club

#18 honu

honu

king sea turtle

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Great write up dude. Way to look out for people. I dig it.
Hang Loose

#19 bricejevinn

bricejevinn

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

:tup:
Willies Bunker!! "bricebunker"

#20 US_Army_Guy

US_Army_Guy

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

pretty good write up man.....I did something similar for my team including a gear check list......sucker turned into 6 full pages.

#21 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Great write up dude. Way to look out for people. I dig it.
Hang Loose

Thanks Honu!

pretty good write up man.....I did something similar for my team including a gear check list......sucker turned into 6 full pages.

If you have things in your list you feel I should add to my guide PM me and I'll add with credit to you.

#22 PacosTacos88

PacosTacos88

hetero-flexible

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

/banned.

Did you even try with this write-up, or vomit up alphabet soup?

JK, stickied.

9571786023_b75503e9e4.jpg

#23 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

Nein, you tiny demons! NEIN!!

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

You gonna go this year, Eric? Better bring your good walkin' shoes in case your car decides to act up again. :D

Posted Image

Grammar Nazi Fuhrer : LL3 Soulja : Eleven Percenter

#24 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:35 AM

He has a new car this year lol. I know for a fact considering I had to drive him to buy it. He's still on the fence either way.

#25 Crashkt90

Crashkt90

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:44 AM

For the run a mile part to get ready. I usually jog/mini sprint in my pants and jersey. 1 is to get used to the heat since i live in fl and 2 the extra weight of them compared to shorts and a shirt. And once in a blue moon i fill a pod or two and waer my pack also..

Reverse Drop Forward Gloss Black Modified Stock Class Phantom

#26 K-Mac

K-Mac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

First and foremost, thanks for the post and the guide; I know I read the entire thing and have already began stretching and running various inclines on a treadmill.

Last year the weather was very unseasonable and the humidity was the biggest issue so keep that in mind. Hopefully this year will be in the 70s low 80s with low humidity; that would be. Perfect.

Edited by K-Mac, 03 May 2011 - 08:44 PM.

Bring IT!

#27 GAnets

GAnets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

heres some advice to any one not from Chicago land if you have to fill up around Chicago do it before you enter cook county i live near the city and the other moring when i had to gas up my car gas was 4.67 a gallon 24 hr earlier it was 4.51, fill up away from cook county it will be closer to 4.00 dollars a gallon. just as some insight when needing to top off the tank.

#28 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

thanks so much Posted Image
oh shit necro...
i thought it was stickied.
well i used the info for my local scenario

Edited by TECHDP=), 21 July 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#29 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

It was stickied at one point. It got taken down during the big clean up.

#30 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

i still think it should be up.
it not only helps for LL but other scenarios

#31 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

To the Front!

#32 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,954 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

i was just looking for this

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#33 ProCaps Sean

ProCaps Sean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

AWESOME! Nice to see my checklist still in use! :)

#34 EgoPossum

EgoPossum

Playin' pump & Hurtin' Feelings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Love the write up and thanks for looking out for others out there.

The crew I am part of (Thunder Bay Pump Club) have been doing Living Legends for the last 3 years and we are still learning every year on things that we need to work on.
I know this year we should bring a team first aid kit, just in case.

One of the additions to our packing list is a Hydration pack.
For those who travel internationally, make sure that you have Travel Insurance, again just in case. No one needs a hospital bill if they get hurt seriously.
I remember breaking my collarbone snowboarding and having to sit in a car for 3 hours for the ride home to get to a hospital where I would not be charged through the nose to get medical attention.
A good portion of us have them now and I use my at the home field in the dog days of summer to keep myself from succumbing to heat stroke.

This year we are planning on dragging our local tournament team with us to Living Legends so they can see why we go to this event every year.

Edited by EgoPossum, 04 December 2011 - 11:12 PM.

"I shoot pump because it hurts more feelings." -- ryantuomi (heard at Living Legends 2)
"Pumping is about as much a disadvantage for me as shifting is for a Nascar driver" - good buddy of mine said this when we were talking about going against the local tourney team
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball

#35 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

To the Front! ... or a new Sub Forum? Ill update prices as soon as Viper unlocks the new registrations and info site :wub:.

#36 Kikkia

Kikkia

Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

Great write up any tips on getting my mom to let me go. Ill have my drivers lisense
Etek3 /Dye Rotor/GI 68/45

#37 chi-townSniper

chi-townSniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

BUGSPRAY BUGSPRAY BUGSPRAY! Mosquitos get so god damn annoying in the wooded section of cpx. You should definitely use it when deep in the woods.

#38 Biscuit of Doom

Biscuit of Doom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

Sunscreen.

At LL4 I spent the better part of Friday wandering around the booths and hanging out with some TechPB people. Then I got to play Sat and Sun with my vest rubbing on a burned neck.

#39 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

Sun screen and bug spray have been added to the write-up. Thanks guys.

#40 Baseball king

Baseball king

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

How much does it cost to get into living legends this MIT be my first year going

#41 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Cost is in the guide... but generally around 225$ just to play for the weekend.

#42 paintballref62

paintballref62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

[quote name='XGC_Cheevo' timestamp='1301424898' post='2132390']

Physical Preparation

There is no clear cut way to prepare for Living Legends. Everyone is physically different and take more or less to actually get in shape for physically demanding paintball. Don't kid yourself, Living Legends is very physically demanding. I know for a fact that while many of us thought we were in shape in 2010, Mother Nature proved to us we didn't know jack. The heat index, if I remember correctly, was something around 100, give or take. This was insane weather for paintball in May. You must be prepared to handle this type of heat.

Hydration

Last year, mostly because of the heat, there were multiple people who were actually submitted into the hospital because of dehydration. Do not let this happen to you. You've spent countless hours getting prepared mentally and physically, spent hundreds of dollars, and now you lie in a hospital bed with an IV. There is only on option. You should be drinking water for a solid week before the event. Get your body into into its natural rhythm with purely water and you'll feel much better than if you'd be drinking pop before the game. Drink water until your pee is clear, then keep drinking, until and throughout Living Legends. Alcohol and pop/soda will only dehydrate you even more due to your body diluting and purging through more bathroom breaks.

Disclaimer: I am a veteran of LL4, as well as 15 years of Viper's Texas games.

I was the ref on the ATV hauling people off the field who dropped out due to the heat. We met the ambulance at the entrance to CPX with a player that was taken to the hospital due to heat exhaustion/heat stroke. (He was border line for heat stroke)

Everything that has been said is spot on, except for one minor point. Hydration. Cut your water intake by 1/3 and replace it with Pedialyte. (Cheaper "house brands" work just fine. I use Kroger brand)

Cool water & Pedialyte, NOT cold. Cold may taste & feel great at that moment, but it will also cause stomach cramping.

The reason for Pedialyte vs. plain water? When your electrolytes & minerals are out of whack due to excessive sweating, adding water what's left.

Heat exhaustion/heat stroke is serious business. And it's no fun spending all of that money on Living Legends and then wind up missing it because you fell out 2 or 3 hours into the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedialyte

Pedialyte is an oral electrolyte solution manufactured by Abbott Laboratories and invented by Gary Cohen, MD of Swampscott, Massachusetts,

which is designed to replace fluids and minerals that are lost when a child has diarrhea with or without vomiting.

It is designed to promote quick fluid and electrolyte absorption while a child is sick and contains the quantity and ratio of the sugars,

glucose and fructose, and electrolytes recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP);

this makes it very low in sugar compared to most sports drinks (100 calories/liter vs. Gatorade's ~200) and

higher in both sodium (1,035 mg/L vs. Gatorade's 465) and potassium (780 mg/L vs. Gatorade's 127). (loss of sodium & potassium are responsible for muscle cramping)

Sucrose is not used in Pedialyte because of the risk of making diarrhea worse by drawing water into the intestine and increasing the risk of dehydration.

In its flavored formulations, Pedialyte uses the synthetic sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

Pedialyte has become a hydration alternative to sports drinks for some athletes including members of the Arizona Cardinals, the Anaheim Ducks, Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs,

Mexico's boxing superstar Juan Manuel Marquez, and Tom Glavine, who pitched for the Atlanta Braves and the New York Mets.

Many competitors in combat sports use it to rehydrate after cutting weight for weigh-ins.

It is also popular with migrant workers near the US-Mexico border to stave off dehydration which is the foremost cause of death in the desert.

Pedialyte is similar to rehydration fluids used by the World Health Organization (WHO) such as "New Oral Rehydration Solution" (N-ORS),

that are used during the outbreak of illnesses such as cholera and rotavirus. Other similar products are Lytren, Gastrolyte, Ricelyte, and Resol.

My home fields are Forney & Houston, Texas. I did a 26 hour scenario with Viper in Copperas Cove, Texas, (next to Ft. Hood), in June one year.

It was 112.3 @ 3:18 pm in the shade at one base. (Air temp, not heat index) We did a forced stand down/hydration break every two hours for 30 minutes.

Posted Image

Monday, April 4th, 2011 was 75 degrees. The high from there on out was never below 75 degrees for the rest of the summer.

Viper's T-Rev game, April 8th, 9th & 10th in Spring, Texas, (outside of Houston), the high/low was 90/73, 86/71, & 87/71 respectively.

The only reason I mention this is that we take heat exhaustion/heat stroke seriously. We have to.

Urine Color Chart: http://www.appforhea...-beat-the-heat/

Posted Image

Edited by paintballref62, 13 January 2012 - 01:46 AM.

Rick Bowen aka "Tobacco"
Viper Ref & Sometime Player
http://www.viperpaintball.com

Posted Image

#43 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Cost is updated for this year.

#44 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I refer to this guide a lot! Great write-up!
Posted Image

#45 tpmnbro88

tpmnbro88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

This is my first time going to LL, what is the usual start time?

#46 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

Generally it's about 10-11 on Saturday and 9 on Sunday. AM that is.

#47 tpmnbro88

tpmnbro88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Awesome thanks

#48 Biscuit of Doom

Biscuit of Doom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Campers will want to bring extra water for any sort of washing they need.
The CPX bathrooms will be locked, so you'll be crapping in port-a-johns and washing your hands at the portable pump sink stations. The sink stations will run out of water, and the port-a-johns will be disgusting.
Last year the CPX water fountains were turned off for LL (and for weeks beforehand), so don't count on having access to any running water at the park. I haven't been to CPX since the beginning of last summer, maybe someone else can confirm if the fountains are still busted.

#49 EricCartman

EricCartman

Senior Member-LL4 Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

noice. is it possible to trade your case of paint for fsr, or do you do trade with players?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I hit you over the head with until you realize that I'm in command."-Serenity
Posted Image
My clubs Valken Users Club Steelie Club

#50 H all day

H all day

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

What if ir rains
I pay for all my gear...Im 13.If your under 18 and pay for your gear, put this section in your sig
Proud Christian Paintballer!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users