104 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

That's 65% more bullet, per bullet.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

This is going to be a comprehensive thread on CA SB 798, the bill proposed by California State Senator Kevin de Leon to amend state law regarding the possession, sale, and distribution of "toy" guns such as airsoft, BB, and possibly paintball guns.

A bit of background info:
Direct link to bill info on CA's state government site

Current law in CA already places restrictions on imitation firearms. It's illegal to modify them to make them look more realistic, it's illegal to open-carry them in public, etc. This means to you: If you're using replica guns to shoot a home movie, you better not be running down public streets waving those things around, because that would be illegal and you will probably be detained and arrested or fined. Airsoft and Paintball currently fall under the "BB Devices" category. BB Devices are not considered imitation firearms and are subject to a different set of regulations that are slightly more relaxed.

This law was proposed after an incident where a kid was shot by a police officer after drawing a BB gun: Dr. Airsoft blog article(and LA Times original article )

Their perceived need for the bill is based on an event that was reported in December, 2010, in the Los Angeles Times. The story was about a 13-year-old Glassell Park boy who was shot and injured by a Los Angele Police Department officer. Officer Victor Abarca shot the boy, thinking that the boy was producing a real gun when ordered to surrender. According to the LA Times article, Lt. John Romero, police spokesman, "said the youth pulled the gun from his clothing in a motion consistent with drawing a weapon." It also said that the event occured after 7:50 PM in December, and that the officer was shining a flashlight on the boy.

Why you should care about this proposal:
Milsim markers may not look like real firearms to you or me, especially with the massive hopper on top and air tank in back. Unfortunately for us the subjective judgment relies on the subjective judgment of a "reasonable person" to decide whether or not THEY think it is. That person will most likely be a police officer who's deciding whether or not to give you a ticket. In addition to the subjective judgment affecting people in CA directly, it will have a chilling effect on the sale, distribution or even transportation of milsim markers THROUGH California so if a company has their gear made overseas in the UK or in China, and is imported to the USA through California's majority of west-coast shipping docks, the importer is liable to be fined by CA law enforcement.

Feedback | Everything you need to know about Loctite | I have too many guns to list. Click here to see them.
Posted Image
PrometheanFlame - If I had to pick one of us to survive the rapture/nuclear apocalypse, I'd choose you.

#2 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

Current status of the bill:
The bill died in CA state assembly committee:

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.B. No. 798
AUTHOR(S) : De León.
TOPIC : Imitation firearms: regulation.
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 08/18/2011

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Non-Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 09/06/2011
LAST HIST. ACTION : Set, final hearing. Failed passage in committee.
Returned to Chief Clerk pursuant to Joint Rule 62(a).
COMM. LOCATION : ASM PUBLIC SAFETY
COMM. ACTION DATE : 09/06/2011
COMM. ACTION : Set, final hearing. Failed passage.

TITLE : An act to repeal and add Section 53071.5 of the
Government Code, relating to imitation firearms.

Feedback | Everything you need to know about Loctite | I have too many guns to list. Click here to see them.
Posted Image
PrometheanFlame - If I had to pick one of us to survive the rapture/nuclear apocalypse, I'd choose you.

#3 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

What can you do about it?

Well, simply speaking, this is California state law that we're talking about, so if you're not from California, there's not a whole lot you can do. I'll make some suggestions in a bit but let's get to the core audience first:

If you live in California, and are over age 18:
  • Find out who your State Assembly Representative is, as well as your State Senate Rep. You can lookup your representatives based on your address at this link: CA State rep lookup by address.
  • Register to vote. Show that your opinion will have REAL consequences in the next election.
  • Call their office and let them know your opposition to this bill. It's important to convey this in a mature, calm manner. As a registered voter who intends to vote next election, your opinion has a direct value to your rep's chances at getting re-elected next term.
  • If you cannot call, write a short letter to your representatives on paper, and MAIL IT TO THEM. Mailed letters are far more effective than email, and guarantees that at least one human in their office will read the letter. The most effective letter you can write is simple, in your own words, direct (to the point) and gives a one or two compelling arguments in favor of your point. Copy/Pasting other people's arguments will get your letter treated like a form letter. I'll try to list a few arguments you can use. Also mention that you live in their district and will be voting next election.
  • Encourage your paintball friends and airsoft friends to also write letters. Ask your local field owner to talk about the bill to the players, or to allow you to make that presentation yourself. Bring short handouts that have links for these people to find out more info.

If you live in California, and are under age 18:
Your job is to convince your parents that this bill is a bad idea, and that your hobby is good for them too.
  • Have a calm discussion of your parents. You need to show them:
    • What this bill is
    • How it will affect you (and how it will affect them too)
    • What you are doing to motivate your friends to also fight against this bill
    • Explain that you need their help and their support to contact your state reps.
  • As I suggested above, write a letter to your state representatives. In that letter, introduce yourself (including age), give your opinion and arguments, and then explain that your parents agree with you. Sign the letter, and have your parents sign as well. Make sure that you type this letter neatly, and also type your name next to your signature, and your parents names next to their signatures.
  • Encourage your paintball friends and airsoft friends to also write letters. Ask your local field owner to talk about the bill to the players, or to allow you to make that presentation yourself. Bring short handouts that have links for these people to find out more info.
DO NOT DO ANY OF THESE:
  • Do not call/write reps from other districts. That will only waste their time since your opinion does not matter to them.
  • Do not sign or encourage online petitions. That only wastes -your- time and effort because online petitions are completely irrelevant to any serious discussion.
  • Do not spam/annoy your friends/relatives about this bill. Spam is annoying and will only make people want to vote the OPPOSITE of what you want. Your best efforts are spent having reasonable discussions with people who are receptive to listening. Shouting at everyone only pushes people away from your point.
  • Do not send junk form-letters. State reps have staffers who screen these letters, and form-letters usually don't get read because the person reading can tell it's the same as 50-other letters they've received. Your letter has to come from YOU, and not copy-pasted off the internet.

If you live outside of California:
  • Do not spam CA representatives. You cannot vote in their elections, you do not live here, and so your opinion does not matter to them. Seriously.
  • Encourage people that you know in California to get active and do some of the stuff I mentioned above. If you have relatives in CA, get them to send a letter on your behalf with their pledge of support against this bill. Get your friends in CA to do the same.
  • Contact the groups which are lobbying the CA state government in opposition to this bill, and donate to the one that you think will be most effective. On a national level the NRA is contributing some support to prevent this bill from passing, but other smaller organizations might be more effective in having their voices heard and responded to.
  • Spread the word to your other online friends and get them to convince their CA-buddies that they should help you fight this bill.

Posted Image

#4 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,113 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've already sent out letters to all the necessary representatives, and am trying to get all my friends to do the same.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#5 JBaller

JBaller

SCP Edge

• Banned
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

*sigh* only if I was over 18.

-.-

#6 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Ask your parents to sign it for you.

There is a template for you to follow and your parents can put their name in it.

#7 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

In my opinion I don't think the templates are very good. A lot of the arguments they make aren't persuasive.

Posted Image

#8 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

Finally, some intelligent posting on this issue. I was getting depressed from the childishly inaccurate threads that popped up.
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#9 Soul06

Soul06

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

I am happy that in the revisions they removed the part about transportation though the main problem with this bill, the colors, still remains.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ - On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA

#10 akt22

akt22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

In my opinion I don't think the templates are very good. A lot of the arguments they make aren't persuasive.

Personally as someone who works in a professional environment, I agree the templates are not as convincing as you'd hope.

However, the importance of the template is to show that you care, as players especially those who are under 18. In other words, it more about support than anything else. It's best to think of it like a better, organized, formal petition. It's more about quantity than quality imo at the moment.The last thing we want to do is really piss them off by annoying them with the same reasons but worded differently, especially when some of us don't come from CA.
You''d think they won't ignore letters when all the goals and reasons are the same?

Remember people here are naive enough to really fail in putting professionally convincing argument, especially when it comes to those who make the laws in the state. I not saying they're idotic brats; their intentions are good but they just lack the professionalism you don't get without experience.

I would leave the good argument persuasion to the people who work in the industry. They probably would give a much more concise statement about the positives and negatives of the bill to the reps themselves. In addition, they'd probably have some law experts to help them in the situation.

Edited by akt22, 08 June 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#11 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

However, the importance of the template is to show that you care, as players especially those who are under 18. In other words, it more about support than anything else. It's best to think of it like a better, organized, formal petition. It's more about quantity than quality imo at the moment.

Quantity arguments such as form letters are routinely ignored. Tabulated, maybe, but they largely fall on deaf ears.

The last thing we want to do is really piss them off by annoying them with the same reasons but worded differently, especially when some of us don't come from CA. You''d think they won't ignore letters when all the goals and reasons are the same?

Yes, in my opinion I could almost guarantee that massive bags of letters from out of state would be completely ignored because there's absolutely no incentive to listen to people who don't live in CA when voting to pass this bill can be spun simultaneously as "protect the children" and "get tough on crime!" That's why I recommend that people from out of state -NOT- write letters to CA State Senate/Assembly representatives.

I think a good argument from a real constituent would be much more effective in persuading a rep to vote against than forcing CA state reps to start ignoring mail that's not in their voting district (and thus possibly some letters from people who are in district too). I do plan to gather some of the more compelling arguments and list them in the 2nd/3rd posts of this thread, and I do welcome other suggestions or amendments to the posts I compiled.

... and of course there's always the argument against outside involvement*: "It's not your state. I stay out of your state's business, so stay out of mine."

*- Devil's advocate of course.

Posted Image

#12 anthoneyk123

anthoneyk123

Sexy Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

Would already owned guns instantly become illegal to own if this passes?
Spisla: Have I posted my phantom in here yet? It's smexy
Baux18: jeez kyle why dont you just go have sex with the thing.
Spisla: I have. more than once actually.

#13 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

Would already owned guns instantly become illegal to own if this passes?

Yes, well, sorta. It would be a pretty safe assumption that you wouldn't be able to resell them, and all the dealers/shops/distributors would be forced to only deal/fix bright colored guns... and so they'd probably go out of business.

Owning? No that wouldn't be illegal. Playing with them, etc... that would probably get extra unwanted attention.

Posted Image

#14 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

I still think everyone saying SAVE PAINTBALL IN CALIFORNIA is a little misleading because so many people are actually thinking paintball is going to get banned from California. When the real fact of the matter is if this law does get passed people will still continue to play paintball they will just either get there guns annod or get a new gun. Granted i agree that the state should not make there gun choice for them but i think its kinda getting blown out of proportion because people will still be able to play.

yea I kept seeing banner ads for asianbeaver.com until I cleared my cache

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#15 The Baller

The Baller

Go hard or go home

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

No! This can't happen. Sadly, I don't know anyone in Cali, but if this gets passed, ANS may be shut down!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

No! This can't happen. Sadly, I don't know anyone in Cali, but if this gets passed, ANS may be shut down!

Posted Image

ANSGear's primary business is paintball, and not specifically milsim. They'll have some sales losses but I doubt they would be shut down.

Posted Image

#17 Melendez402

Melendez402

El Dorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

California keeps violating their residents rights. California now and soon your home state. That is the way it starts inch by inch untill you can't even buy a water gun in your favorite color.

Edited by Melendez402, 28 July 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#18 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

i am grateful that you created this thread and that its neat and is great! Posted Image thank you now hopefully Californians can properly appose this bill
Posted Image
are you a Musician? Join the club! click this to get there!--->Musicians Club Here!

#19 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

California keeps violating their citizens rights. California now and soon your home state. That is the way it starts inch by inch untill you can't even buy a water gun in your favorite color.

This is not a "civil rights" issue.

Posted Image

#20 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

I hope this damn bill doesn't gt passed. Paintball is screwed if it does.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#21 Raging Squall

Raging Squall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

Idiots can pass pot(illegal federally so state law doesn't matter) but they have the opportunity to pass this? lol Happy not to live there, still i feel for the players in Cali... Some good news though---->>

" (B) As used in Section 20165, "imitation firearm" does not include
any of the following:
A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is
white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright
blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the
predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, as
provided by federal regulations governing imitation firearms, or
where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent
materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's
complete contents, as provided by federal regulations governing
imitation firearms."
****Mind you I milled down some of the unneeded parts :D

Seems that the bill would only effect the milsim markers and almost all of airsoft but most speedball, or for that matter almost all markers period, wouldnt fall under the effects cause of the coloring :D Also who mistake typicly styled marker for a gun? I doubt this would really be enforced unless the wielder acts like an idiot.

#22 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

fuck if this passes the government better pay for my fucking new gun or anno job fucking bullshit...
Posted Image
are you a Musician? Join the club! click this to get there!--->Musicians Club Here!

#23 fonz182

fonz182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

" to a provision imposing a civil fine on the sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or distribution of imitation firearms for commercial purposes "

people seem to ignore the COMMERCIAL PURPOSES part. If you are not planning to buy, sell, trade, or rent your marker out you don't have to paint it. Some people might say that using it in a tourney to win some cash prizes could be considered commercial purposes.

#24 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,113 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

" to a provision imposing a civil fine on the sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or distribution of imitation firearms for commercial purposes "

people seem to ignore the COMMERCIAL PURPOSES part. If you are not planning to buy, sell, trade, or rent your marker out you don't have to paint it. Some people might say that using it in a tourney to win some cash prizes could be considered commercial purposes.

That may be, but we also have to take a stand here. If this passes with no opposition, they'll just keep making new and more stringent laws to appease the voters. We need to show them that's not what the voters want.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#25 Soul06

Soul06

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

That may be, but we also have to take a stand here. If this passes with no opposition, they'll just keep making new and more stringent laws to appease the voters. We need to show them that's not what the voters want.

That is the absolute truth. Because you, I....we would all be fools to believe that there aren't those out there that would love the idea of ALL of paintball becoming illegal. If no one stood up against this bill then that would just give those who wish to really hurt the sport more drive to pass more laws

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ - On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA

#26 Kirko017

Kirko017

Say no to drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

lol sucks for you guys in ca

Kent State University Paintball Club
The University of Akron Paintball Club

Eminence

Paintball gear for sale!

#27 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

That is the absolute truth. Because you, I....we would all be fools to believe that there aren't those out there that would love the idea of ALL of paintball becoming illegal. If no one stood up against this bill then that would just give those who wish to really hurt the sport more drive to pass more laws

this makes me feel slightly better but as stated before by Andrew, if we don't take a stand now they will try and finish us off and walk all over the paintball community later on..if you give them an inch they take a mile (also stated in last thread)

Edited by turkey357, 11 June 2011 - 06:48 PM.

Posted Image

#28 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

"All of paintball" won't get banned. I don't think anyone's seriously claimed that who's looked into what the bill does. Also the "commercial purposes" clause is completely misleading. What this bill does is that it removes the "BB device" exemption from paintball/airsoft guns. So yeah, you won't be subject to the fine if you're not selling your marker, BUT you -WILL- be subject to all the regulations that restrict the ownership of "imitation firearms" so you do face fines if you're caught carrying them around in public, and you won't be allowed to transport them in public places or airports (because imitation firearms are illegal to possess in an airport." Getting fined for buying/selling realistic markers isn't the only problem that SB798 will cause.

Posted Image

#29 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Guys and gals.... I spent 5 years lobbying for the building industry on a local, state and national level. I know alittle about politics...

Fear not just the current bills, but what the current bills if passed will be interrupted into law and what could also be introduced as piggyback bills and laws in the future.

#30 BEASTY

BEASTY

Uber Member

• Members
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Guys and gals.... I spent 5 years lobbying for the building industry on a local, state and national level. I know alittle about politics...

Fear not just the current bills, but what the current bills if passed will be interrupted into law and what could also be introduced as piggyback bills and laws in the future.

Fucking this.

I just went into no limit paintball today for paint tomorrow and they say they are HEAVILY convincing that the bill should not be passed. They double as an airsoft shop so half there business would be gone if the law did pass.
They have come up with some INSANELY good arguments against the bill and have presented them.

Thank you tommy.

What you NEED to do is mark your territory, Pee on/in the WHOLE school. I mean EVERYWHERE just SOAK IT.

↔↔ Beasty Barrel Socks ↔↔ 46/0/0↔↔

#31 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

OK great news every one.....

this is directly from SPBC's (save paintball in california) facebook page by David Cloyd

"According to Senator DeLeon's office (a few minutes ago), a paintball-marker exclusion is being formed into the bill as I type."

this is amazing news now the fight is still not over show them your support here is the link to the page

http://www.facebook....allinCalifornia
Posted Image

#32 Soul06

Soul06

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

OK great news every one.....

this is directly from SPBC's (save paintball in california) facebook page by David Cloyd

"According to Senator DeLeon's office (a few minutes ago), a paintball-marker exclusion is being formed into the bill as I type."

this is amazing news now the fight is still not over show them your support here is the link to the page

http://www.facebook....allinCalifornia

Thats very good to hear. Sucks for the airsofters still but it is good for the paintball stores, fields and players

#33 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Earlier this month news broke that the game of paintball was under attack by the California legislature. The proposed law, SB 798, initially sought to change or limit the use and manufacture of Airsoft and BB guns but later on was increased in scope to include paintball guns. The paintball community immediately banded together in calling for the immediate rejection or amendment of the SB 798 bill and a letter writing campaign was launched. Early this morning we received a tip that progress was being made in the effort to save paintball in California. In addition, ProPaintball community members were reporting issues emailing letters to Senator De Leon and sources suggested his email servers were overwhelmed by the sheer volume of paintball related messages. Are we leaving our mark? Read on for the official release below.

Posted Image

A press statement by the California Paintball Safety Coalition has been issued to clear the air;

California Paintball Safety Coalition (CalPBSC) Update on SB 798
June 10, 2011

The CalPBSC is happy to report that good progress on SB 798 is being made by the industry lobbyist group with the appropriate California legislators. The public safety committee hearing that was scheduled for June 14th has been delayed to either June 21st or June 28th so even more progress on the legislative discussions taking place is expected before the hearing. In the interim, please keep writing the “template” letters to Senator De Leon or your local assembly representative. The template letters were emailed out last week or can be accessed on www.facebook.com/savepaintballincalifornia.

It has been noted that some organizations and individuals have taken it upon themselves to propose alternative bills or compromises to the original bill on behalf of the paintball industry. It is extremely important that the paintball industry presents a united front to the legislators in California. We welcome ideas and input, but we would ask that all ideas or suggestions be sent to the CalPBSC at CalPBSafetyCoalition@gmail.com for consideration. Please support the CalPBSC in this regard as we are indeed making good strides and don’t need individuals that mean well inadvertently dividing the industry.

Thank you,
The California Paintball Safety Coalition

The rescheduling of the meeting is a good sign that our letter writing and calls to our senators are having positive effects on the process. With that in mind, we strongly encourage you to continue to email and call your Senators in an effort to show your continued interest in having this bill rejected from the legal process.

taken from:http://www.propaintball.com/2011/06/save-california-paintball-update/

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#34 BEASTY

BEASTY

Uber Member

• Members
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:42 AM

The vote has been moved to June 21st.

Wether it effects paintball or airsoft we need to keep this bill from passing.

What you NEED to do is mark your territory, Pee on/in the WHOLE school. I mean EVERYWHERE just SOAK IT.

#35 estrada19

estrada19

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

i was FIRST born in cali and id hate to see paintball die there

R.I.P Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

Black to blue fade Angel A1, Pinokio & Dye I4's
My Feedback 5/0/0

#36 Soul06

Soul06

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Honestly, while I am not at all saying we should stop the fight, I don't see us stopping this bill from passing. I would be very happy if we did but Im not betting on it. I'm wondering if the paintball lobbyists are realizing the same and doing all they can to get exclusions added in for paintball instead of placing all their efforts solely in the eradication of this bill.

#37 Soul06

Soul06

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

i was FIRST born in cali and id hate to see paintball die there

Paintball would not have died but it would have been seriously hurt. No more black or dark colored markers would have been allowed; Tippmanns, Rap 4s and the like. And as those are a large part of the rental, beginner and scenario market that would have been a heavy blow

#38 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image

#39 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

The California Paintball Safety Coalition

lol. you have a coalition? of who?

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#40 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

The vote has been moved to June 21st.

Just stopped in to update the thread and post that. Looks like the bill has been amended.

You can keep track of its status here: current bill status link

MEASURE	:  S.B. No. 798
AUTHOR(S)	:  De León.
TOPIC	:  Firearms: BB devices: imitation firearms.
HOUSE LOCATION	:  ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE  :  06/13/2011

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE:  06/13/2011
LAST HIST. ACTION   :  From committee with author's amendments. Read second
	time and amended. Re-referred to Com. on  PUB. S.
COMM. LOCATION	:  ASM PUBLIC SAFETY
HEARING DATE	:  06/21/2011

The amendment:

(B) As used in Section 20165, "imitation firearm" does not include
any of the following:
*cut*
(2) A spot marker gun which expels a projectile that is greater
than 10 mm caliber.

So airsoft is still getting screwed

Posted Image

#41 EricCartman

EricCartman

Senior Member-LL4 Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

so paintball is safe now
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I hit you over the head with until you realize that I'm in command."-Serenity
Posted Image
My clubs Valken Users Club Steelie Club

#42 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

Checked the bill status this morning, and there has been an amendment! Here is the new text of the bill:

http://www.leginfo.c....d_asm_v96.html

We still have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't get changed back, but as of this morning, SB 798 has been amended to specifically exclude paintball guns.

Everyone should thank the California Paintball Safety Coalition members who found this legislation before it was too late and organized and funded the response and all the paintball players who took the time to contact your legislators! This would not have happened without you!

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#43 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

safe for now, yes.

Posted Image

#44 Striker

Striker

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Airsoft is somewhat understandable, since they are built EXACTLY like real guns, where as paintball you have a tank and a hopper that has to be on it....making it look nothing like a real gun

#45 DENNI740

DENNI740

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

Good job everyone! The bill states the projectile has to be under 10 mm as a spot marker gun for everyone that is not wanting to read it.

#46 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Airsoft is somewhat understandable, since they are built EXACTLY like real guns, where as paintball you have a tank and a hopper that has to be on it....making it look nothing like a real gun

They're built to look like a real firearm, but they're not built "exactly" the same at all. On every airsoft gun I've seen nothing other than the cosmetic parts are interchangeable with real firearms. The "gun" part of a gun is always specific to real firearms.

This bill also won't prevent dumb people from pulling a paintball marker on a cop and getting shop.

This bill also won't prevent somebody with malicious intent from pulling a brightly colored REAL firearm on a cop and shooting the cop. Yes, this is a real gun:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Beavfan94

Beavfan94

California Love

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Alright cool. If this bill still included paintball markers, would it be illegal to just have your paintball guns in your car?

#48 BEASTY

BEASTY

Uber Member

• Members
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Alright cool. If this bill still included paintball markers, would it be illegal to just have your paintball guns in your car?

No, it would only be illegal to have realistic (Tiberious) markers that are painted black

#49 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Glad to see we're finally getting through.

#50 TheAsianMang

TheAsianMang

Swagga Jackin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

What would happen to all the major companies and tournaments if this goes through? Would ANS go out of business and NPPL HB shut down?
Bob Long G6r w/ Ninja 45/4500 Carbon Fiber tank + Empire Prophecy
My Feedback
Team RIP D4! Fresno, CA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users