67 replies to this topic

#1 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I'm pretty sad that the last Space Shuttle launch is on Friday July 8th

I'll be there, I'll bringing my daughters and my wife to see it in Titusville.

I read this and it saddened me-

http://community.sea...e_id=2015495039

politics aside, I think NASA is the pinnacle of inspiration to many people. It certainly is for me. I've seen one shuttle launch (I think in 2005 or 2006 we saw one) and it was one of the most memorable things I've ever seen.

I understand that budget cuts, economy sucks, people don't understand the program, yada yada but I'm pretty sad that Friday is probably the last time we'll see the USA sending humans into space in our lifetime. They don't have anything upcoming to replace the shuttle with, they don't have the money to replace it with, and I think you're going to see a progressive death spiral of NASA as the equipment ages, budget cutbacks and people leave to go to other industries.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I dunno, I'm pretty heartbroken about it

#2 Trum_15

Trum_15

Uber Member

• Members
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

First!

wow that sucks. i always wanted to make my way down to see one take off in person, guess that will never happen now :(

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

I don't remember where I saw it (or how credible it is), but apparently, the Army spends the equivalent to NASA's yearly budget just to air condition tents and buildings every year.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#4 (Insert Creative Name)

(Insert Creative Name)

Moves in silence like lasagna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Location:some where in, uh.....Canada... yeah thats right I think

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

We are also losing new technology, along with the space flights.

NASA invented Velcro. Where would we be without that? :P
Yeah, I have no sig, deal with it...

#5 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

Nein, you tiny demons! NEIN!!

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

Hey, maybe I'll see ya here, Mike. ;)

Nah, I've gotta work that day. But it does suck that this is the last shuttle launch. This city's gonna dry up like a mud puddle in hundred degree heat. I'm just lucky that I've got a job at a place that's independent of the local economy.

Posted Image

Grammar Nazi Fuhrer : LL3 Soulja : Eleven Percenter

#6 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hey, maybe I'll see ya here, Mike. ;)

Nah, I've gotta work that day. But it does suck that this is the last shuttle launch. This city's gonna dry up like a mud puddle in hundred degree heat. I'm just lucky that I've got a job at a place that's independent of the local economy.

Lucky you.

Oh well, I'll go watch it off my front porch. Take that!

Btw, I live about 25 miles away from the Cape.

Tis epic.

Every hotel for about a hour around is booked up solid for the flight.

Edited by drexler, 04 July 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#7 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,898 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

I've heard we're either planning on working on heading to mars, or going back to the moon. But those are just rumors, and I have no idea if they're real or not. However, I don't think this is the end of NASA, and I don't think it's the end of NASA putting humans into space. We just need a different president, that's all.

#8 spisla

spisla

I made Mr. Rogers eat paint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

I've heard we're either planning on working on heading to mars, or going back to the moon. But those are just rumors, and I have no idea if they're real or not. However, I don't think this is the end of NASA, and I don't think it's the end of NASA putting humans into space. We just need a different president, that's all.

THAT'S RACIST.

JK, but in all seriousness, I think it might give us some time to improve on technology, and maybe even help the debt our nation is in.. Maybe not, I'm only a simple minded 15 year old, but that's just my $.02
Posted Image

If you see someone pulling that here hit the report button and I'll teabag them =)

NorthWest Ballers club. TechPB feedback

#9 -ORaNGe-

-ORaNGe-

No Bullshit Kinda Guy

• Administrators
  • 14,231 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

If every single American alive would just donate $56,000 or so to the US government you guys would be out of debt XD

#10 schulzy

schulzy

It hurts so good.

• Members
  • 14,843 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

It is pretty sad.

I remember watching a shuttle launch in December of 2005 (or maybe it was 2006). Was pretty tenso, I'll never forget it.

sigwf.png

#11 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

If every single American alive would just donate $56,000 or so to the US government you guys would be out of debt XD

No, we wouldn't be. Our government would find a way to waste a couple trillion dollars, rather than get rid of our national debt. <_<

#12 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

shit Orange 56,000 I carry that in my back pocket
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#13 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

No, we wouldn't be. Our government would find a way to waste a couple trillion dollars, rather than get rid of our national debt. <_<

waste it?
20$ says that it a couple thousand "gets lost" between your pocket and the banks.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#14 larryjerry1

larryjerry1

Ich bin ein Grazi.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

NASA is here to stay. remember, they don't JUST send people into spacet. they do a ton of testing for the military. the space program may come to a halt, but they'll continue their research and experiments on new flight technology. heck, they're still researching/test scramjet technology

Because that's what we had when I was a kid
Dirt.
And the internet, but dirt was cheaper.

#15 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

NASA is here to stay. remember, they don't JUST send people into spacet. they do a ton of testing for the military. the space program may come to a halt, but they'll continue their research and experiments on new flight technology. heck, they're still researching/test scramjet technology

Aye, but we should be up there maintaining the ISS, which we dumped billions into. NASA without space flight is like transformers without robots.

Not to mention we'll be spending millions if not billions to have the Chinese and Russians fly our boys up to the ISS

#16 larryjerry1

larryjerry1

Ich bin ein Grazi.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Aye, but we should be up there maintaining the ISS, which we dumped billions into. NASA without space flight is like transformers without robots.

Not to mention we'll be spending millions if not billions to have the Chinese and Russians fly our boys up to the ISS

im not too worried about it really. this recession will end at some point, and NASA will be back to full capacity

Dirt.

#17 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

im not too worried about it really. this recession will end at some point, and NASA will be back to full capacity

Tell that to MY town, cause after NASA shuts down. The big money will leave this area, all the defense contractors.

Shit rolls down hill.

#18 larryjerry1

larryjerry1

Ich bin ein Grazi.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Tell that to MY town, cause after NASA shuts down. The big money will leave this area, all the defense contractors.

Shit rolls down hill.

NASA isnt shutting down. they do too much military testing and research. remember, it's the national AERONAUTICS and space administration, they do other things besides throw rockets into space

Dirt.

#19 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

^^
Yes, and NASA does there test ELSEWHERE. NOT AT THE CAPE.

They test their rockets out in Mississippi at the Stennis Space Center, the Dryden facility, and the white sands facility. None of which are in Brevard County, Florida.

With the shutting down of the Shuttle Program the US government has effectively wreaked the economy of this area.

#20 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

We just need a different president, that's all.

I spy, with my little eye, a mod starting a conversation about politics.

Posted Image

#21 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

ah Prom you make me laugh
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#22 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

this actually saddened me as well :( :(
Posted Image
are you a Musician? Join the club! click this to get there!--->Musicians Club Here!

#23 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

We just need a different president, that's all.

Well, then you're looking into it too deeply, and need to get a different eye, because I only made a few comments, not trying to start a political conversation.

#24 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:22 AM

Awww this sucks bad. Why the u.s!

They say 2012 is not thevend of the world just the u.s

#25 *Anthony*

*Anthony*

It's all about the []_[]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:40 AM

I will definitely be there, not looking forward to waking up early to drive there, but i cant miss this

#26 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

Well, then you're looking into it too deeply, and need to get a different eye, because I only made a few comments, not trying to start a political conversation.

How is talking about replacing the president and wasteful government spending not starting a political debate? :huh:

Posted Image

#27 Tizzy

Tizzy

All posts below mine require a piece of paper w/ name/date!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

How is talking about replacing the president and wasteful government spending not starting a political debate? :huh:

Don't you have anything else to do?.....
Avalon's Fury

Posted Image

What do you mean physically damaged? And would I sent the tank in?

if you hit it with a hammer, dragged it behind the car, threw it at a tree, etc...

#28 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

found this picture-

Posted Image

#29 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

its really sad what has become of NASA. at the risk of going political, its sad our country lacks true vision anymore. NASA consists roughly of .3% of federal spending. if we raised that to merely 1% of federal spending, the amazing things we could achieve as a species would blow your mind. to put that in persecptive the DoD is rought 30% of government spending

as jim lovel so well put it -

"its not amazing that we went to the moon, we just decided to go"

do we really need another aircraft carrier? do we really need more nukes, or a new assualt rifle to replace the m16?

or would landing a human being on another palanet, or building a space telescope that teaches us our place in the universe be a better investment?
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#30 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

did any one see the international space station last night?
Posted Image
are you a Musician? Join the club! click this to get there!--->Musicians Club Here!

#31 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

its really sad what has become of NASA. at the risk of going political, its sad our country lacks true vision anymore. NASA consists roughly of .3% of federal spending. if we raised that to merely 1% of federal spending, the amazing things we could achieve as a species would blow your mind. to put that in persecptive the DoD is rought 30% of government spending

as jim lovel so well put it -

"its not amazing that we went to the moon, we just decided to go"

do we really need another aircraft carrier? do we really need more nukes, or a new assualt rifle to replace the m16?

or would landing a human being on another palanet, or building a space telescope that teaches us our place in the universe be a better investment?

Possibly, no, and yes.

The m16 isn't very good in urban warfare, most warfare in the future will be fought in a urban situation. The M16 as it is, is not a very good rifle for a urban situation. In fact, bullpups are some of the best, you have the distance of a rifle and the compactness of a smg. The Tavor, coming out of Israel is a good example of this.

Posted Image

#32 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

^ I think you're missing the point. Look at the ridiculous ammount of spending that goes into the military, and then look at NASA's budget. The fact that we can't find the equivalent to cut in military spending (which wouldn't be that much), but feel the need to cut back on one of our most awesome scientific programs, speaks volumes to the mindset of the people in charge.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#33 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

^ I think you're missing the point. Look at the ridiculous ammount of spending that goes into the military, and then look at NASA's budget. The fact that we can't find the equivalent to cut in military spending (which wouldn't be that much), but feel the need to cut back on one of our most awesome scientific programs, speaks volumes to the mindset of the people in charge.

EXACTLY.

not just the values of the poeple in charge, but the values of the poeple in the USA.

now, i agree the m16 is by no means an ideal weapon for anything, not to mention its nearing 40 years old - but how many billion will it take to replace that? what if for the same price we could go to mars? what if for the same price we could find out if there is life on the moons of jupiter? think of how fundamentally society changing something like that would become. it would redfine humanity, and life, and the universe. the stars you look up at every night would be fundamentally different knowing what we could know.

would that be worth it? i think so. they just need to see the vision though, to rediscover the passion for discovery. to stop worrying about dollars and bullets and politics and see the big picture - humanity, the universe, and how we all fit together. yes, we all need an army for defense, and smart fiscal policies, im nto arguing otherwise, but there is room in our budget for both.

Edited by cockerpunk, 05 July 2011 - 01:35 PM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#34 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Sucks that the USA is dropping out of the space race. Too much time will be lost for another decent push into space. Humanity needs a unified push towards the stars.

#35 Vaellis

Vaellis

Just call your boy and we'll get luxed together

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Damn, just damn

I saw a space shuttle take off , I was in disneyworld when I was a little kid, I saw it take off and rise over a roller coaster, it really was a memorabe expierience, but I agree with cockerpunk on this one

I love when people can't pronounce my user name. ninja 50/45
Posted Image

#36 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Sucks that the USA is dropping out of the space race. Too much time will be lost for another decent push into space. Humanity needs a unified push towards the stars.

How do you figure? Space isn't going anywhere. Things are going to shit right here and now, and we need to get a handle on this planet before we start trying to fuck with another. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who promotes the space program because you believe our best solution to the problems we've created here is to fuck off somewhere else and start over. I assure you, my friend, that we will be long dead before that's even a remote possibility. ;)

You name a problem, this world has got it in spades. Starvation, lack of energy, disease, war, nationalism... I can see the scientific merits of blasting chimps into the cosmos, but we've got critical issues in our own back yard that deserve the focused eye of our most intelligent minority.

Posted Image

#37 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

How do you figure? Space isn't going anywhere. Things are going to shit right here and now, and we need to get a handle on this planet before we start trying to fuck with another. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who promotes the space program because you believe our best solution to the problems we've created here is to fuck off somewhere else and start over. I assure you, my friend, that we will be long dead before that's even a remote possibility. ;)

You name a problem, this world has got it in spades. Starvation, lack of energy, disease, war, nationalism... I can see the scientific merits of blasting chimps into the cosmos, but we've got critical issues in our own back yard that deserve the focused eye of our most intelligent minority.

knowledge solves all problems. space technology seems exotic and purpose built, but its applications in modern society are widespread.

look at the technology we take for granted that was developed for the moon shot -

1. micro computers - yes, it was amazing in 1969 that they built a computer with less power then your graphing calculator in a SINGLE room. thats not a useful or applicable technology today ... no not at all.
2. orbital insertion - without this nothing satellite based would be possible. thats everything from robust global communication to GPS to weather ...

other NASA technology based things we take for granted every day -

CAT scans
MRIs
Freeze-dried food
Water purification filters
Pay at the Pump satellite technology
Insulation barriers for cars
Low-noise receivers
Cordless tools
Clock synchronization
Space-age fabrics for divers, swimmers, hazardous material workers, and others
Teflon-coated fiberglass for roofing material
Lightweight breathing system used by firefighters (and compressed air tanks for paintball)

technology is always mutli-use. often uses for technology are not found until its developed, and are totally unanticipated (such as computerization).

think about a mars shot and how that technology would help our civilization -

1. conversion of minerals like iron oxide into fuels
2. recycling systems for water and air
3. low dran long range transmitters
4. high efficiency solar collectors
5. food production with low usage of light, water, and soil

you dont think any of those things would help solve earths problems?

space technology has a pay off period almost instantly. literally within several years after out initial tax pay funded research and development, we see that technology manifest in our own economies at least on the scale of initial investment. the economics are compelling. this is in contrast to some commercial R&D projects witch can take decades to be realized.

i also subscribe the philosophy of carl segan. the solution to all of our problems is figuring out the universe. our differences as people, rich or poor, muslim or christian, white or black simply fad away when we understand our true position in the universe. our true purpose to explore, learn and understand.

you should read some carl segan, and read some buzz aldrin. those two men had such a vision for mankind that is the most upbeat and inspiring and its not a pipe dream, its based on real things, knowledge. when we set our minds to it, we can do anything we want to. we just have to decide to go.

#38 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

I don't mean to imply that the pursuit of space travel has no scientific or social value to humanity. I'm not that stupid. What I am saying is that it isn't the only avenue to advancement. I mean, we've invented a lot of things right here on Earth without any consideration whatsoever of how it would better our chances of surviving in the vast expanse of outer space. I believe that the human race is capable of such wonderful achievements, but what role does science play in getting people to treat each other with decency and respect? There's no theorem to be solved that will open our eyes to the golden solution of living in peace with each other.

I mean, fuck, man - what if we did encounter another intelligent species? What makes you think our race wouldn't come off like a filthy meth-head running up to a business man on the street? How well do you think that's gonna go over? We keep looking outward for someone or something else to solve our fundamental social flaws, but the answer's sitting right in front of us every time we look in the mirror. It's the golden fucking rule: treat others as you would want to be treated. We learn that shit when we're children, and how often do we abide by it?

Our salvation lies not in the stars, but in our eyes and the ability to simply open them.

Posted Image

#39 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

I don't mean to imply that the pursuit of space travel has no scientific or social value to humanity. I'm not that stupid. What I am saying is that it isn't the only avenue to advancement. I mean, we've invented a lot of things right here on Earth without any consideration whatsoever of how it would better our chances of surviving in the vast expanse of outer space. I believe that the human race is capable of such wonderful achievements, but what role does science play in getting people to treat each other with decency and respect? There's no theorem to be solved that will open our eyes to the golden solution of living in peace with each other.

I mean, fuck, man - what if we did encounter another intelligent species? What makes you think our race wouldn't come off like a filthy meth-head running up to a business man on the street? How well do you think that's gonna go over? We keep looking outward for someone or something else to solve our fundamental social flaws, but the answer's sitting right in front of us every time we look in the mirror. It's the golden fucking rule: treat others as you would want to be treated. We learn that shit when we're children, and how often do we abide by it?

Our salvation lies not in the stars, but in our eyes and the ability to simply open them.

i think that science does play a role in getting people to treat each other with respect. the more we know about our place in the universe the more we know how unique our perspective really is. again, the differences we have that we think are important, merely fade away when compared to the the vastness of the universe. morality is only enhanced by knowledge and the pursuit of it.

if we did encounter another species of intelligent life, dont you think that would again, explain so much that our differences as people would become trivial?

the answer is looking us right in the mirror - knowledge. our salvation lies with knowledge, and a wonderful way to gain it is to set a so called impossible goal, and then achieve it.

EDIT - i apologize. this is something i am very passionate about. its about more then a world view like so many people like to talk about differences in world views. its bigger then that, its a universe view.

Edited by cockerpunk, 05 July 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#40 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

i think that science does play a role in getting people to treat each other with respect. the more we know about our place in the universe the more we know how unique our perspective really is. again, the differences we have that we think are important, merely fade away when compared to the the vastness of the universe. morality is only enhanced by knowledge and the pursuit of it.

if we did encounter another species of intelligent life, dont you think that would again, explain so much that our differences as people would become trivial?

the answer is looking us right in the mirror - knowledge. our salvation lies with knowledge, and a wonderful way to gain it is to set a so called impossible goal, and then achieve it.

The human race has made an awful lot of technological progress over the past few millennia, and relatively little social progress. Are we not still warring over borders, greed, race, and religion? These are ancient points of dispute, yet every generation born simply reinforces the old battle lines. How many more thousands of years must we endure before these discrepancies cease to carry mortal weight?

How can you say that the discovery of an extraterrestrial race would alleviate conflict when you know full well that the pious (to say nothing of zealots and fanatics) would be unable to reconcile the revelation with their preconceptions? It would be anarchy. I would also remind you that mankind's track record of peaceful relations when encountering new societies is pretty weak.

Knowledge is never the answer; it's only a new question. Again, I'm not besmirching the value of scientific progress - I'm just saying that world peace won't be discovered in a laboratory.

Edit in response to your edit: You never have to apologize for having a different point of view.

Edited by PrometheanFlame, 05 July 2011 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image

#41 shutts67

shutts67

Score is Irrevelant.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

I guess we will have to rely on the private sector to get up back into space.

#42 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

The human race has made an awful lot of technological progress over the past few millennia, and relatively little social progress. Are we not still warring over borders, greed, race, and religion? These are ancient points of dispute, yet every generation born simply reinforces the old battle lines. How many more thousands of years must we endure before these discrepancies cease to carry mortal weight?

How can you say that the discovery of an extraterrestrial race would alleviate conflict when you know full well that the pious (to say nothing of zealots and fanatics) would be unable to reconcile the revelation with their preconceptions? It would be anarchy. I would also remind you that mankind's track record of peaceful relations when encountering new societies is pretty weak.

Knowledge is never the answer; it's only a new question. Again, I'm not besmirching the value of scientific progress - I'm just saying that world peace won't be discovered in a laboratory.

Edit in response to your edit: You never have to apologize for having a different point of view.

the implications of what we know gives us preservative. perspective to make moral judgements.

i would say that since the scientific revolution, morality has improved massively. partly because of the revelations that science has shown us. you have to remember, racism was based on whites thinking that black people were not people at all. sexism was based on women being "known" to not be as smart or capable of thought the way men were. scientific discoveries helped the social progress for justice in these cases. the more we know, the better we can make decisions, both technical, and social. think about evolution. the implications of that discovery tells us that we are animals, fundamentally changing our perspective in the universe. think about kepler's discovery of the true nature of the solar system, fundamentally changed our grasp of earth and our position in the universe. the LHC could show us where everything came from.

now, i agree that science is a quest for more questions, or rather uncovers more questions, but that doesn't mean that the knowledge it generates doesn't change our morality and perspective. i think that knowledge is the ONLY sound source of morality (but thats a whole another thread entirely).

knowledge that we are not alone would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe.

#43 bigBUBBA

bigBUBBA

I sell apples and apple accessories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

The U.S. Will be ending its space exploration program while China will begin building radio antennae multiple football fields wide . What does this mean? China will win the game of Civilization first by making first contact with aliens. AMERI--... China?

Maybe start a Occupy Windhelm movement. Start piling up items outside the doors of the house. Those Occupy movements totally changed how banking and society interact so I'm sure it will work for you.

Posted Image

#44 atlpaintball24

atlpaintball24

Do you even lift?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I really wanted to see a launch in person, but.. guess that's not happening Posted Image

#45 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

the implications of what we know gives us preservative. perspective to make moral judgements.

i would say that since the scientific revolution, morality has improved massively. partly because of the revelations that science has shown us. you have to remember, racism was based on whites thinking that black people were not people at all. sexism was based on women being "known" to not be as smart or capable of thought the way men were. scientific discoveries helped the social progress for justice in these cases. the more we know, the better we can make decisions, both technical, and social. think about evolution. the implications of that discovery tells us that we are animals, fundamentally changing our perspective in the universe. think about kepler's discovery of the true nature of the solar system, fundamentally changed our grasp of earth and our position in the universe. the LHC could show us where everything came from.

now, i agree that science is a quest for more questions, or rather uncovers more questions, but that doesn't mean that the knowledge it generates doesn't change our morality and perspective. i think that knowledge is the ONLY sound source of morality (but thats a whole another thread entirely).

knowledge that we are not alone would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe.

Knowledge is power! Personally I think humanity finding another civilization anywhere in space would push the world towards unification. It's a tribe mentality. Alone we're weak, together we're strong. The world could use a little unity.

I agree 100% with Cockerpunk, and I must say our salvation at this point does lie off of our planet.

#46 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

I really wanted to see a launch in person, but.. guess that's not happening Posted Image

Walk outside of my house and look North for me :)

#47 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

Talked to my College Prof, he works part time at the school and full time at Boeing. He's was telling us that there is about 30% chance of go tomorrow due to the weather.

#48 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Fuck CLOUDS. Couldn't see shit.

#49 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

Fuck CLOUDS. Couldn't see shit.

Yeah, that was a garbage launch. Why'd they stop doing them at night, anyways?

Posted Image

#50 poorballer1

poorballer1

I GOT A HANGOVER WHOOOOAAAHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

do we really need more nukes

The U.S. Will be ending its space exploration program while China will begin building radio antennae multiple football fields wide . What does this mean? China will win the game of Civilization first by making first contact with aliens. AMERI--... China?

One fixes the other.
:tup:
They only get to do that because we allow them to. No other reason. We still were the first on the moon.
If your from the Detroit are, check out my friends at American Jewerly and Loan
Living Legends 3,4 Veteran
Mint Gat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users