34 replies to this topic

#1 MiZu

MiZu

New PM8 user!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

So I was watching the news today. I heard the news reporter talking about my field, Bellows Island Paintball. They were talking about how someone just kinda collapsed. An ambulance took the guy to the hospital where he died. I was actually going to go to the field on Saturday but I decided to stay and play some Black Ops with friends. The later talked about how he was a 25 year old. The thing is, I'm a pretty usually player and I know most of the regulars there. A good bit of them are mid 20's and low 30s. So I don't know who the person was and if they were regulars. Luckily, the police haven't seen signs of foul play, or anything that would turn people away from this sport and field. I wonder how the field is going to the be the next weekend? But anyway, I give the best and my regards to the family of the player.

Update: News came in that it was cardiac arrest.

Edited by MiZu, 11 July 2011 - 09:44 PM.

#2 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

Nein, you tiny demons! NEIN!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

Sorry to hear it, man. Maybe your field could host some kind of benefit tournament for the family?

Posted Image

Grammar Nazi Fuhrer : LL3 Soulja : Eleven Percenter

#3 AnBu_JR

AnBu_JR

Blessed with a curse.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Sorry to hear it, man. Maybe your field could host some kind of benefit tournament for the family?

This sounds like an excellent idea. I'm glad there wasn't any "foul play" or anything involved. Next time you go to the field, double check for monster balls?

I also subscribe to the philosophy of Carl Segan. The solution to all of our problems is figuring out the universe. Our differences as people: rich or poor, Muslim or Christian, white or black simply fade away when we understand our true position in the universe - our true purpose to explore, learn and understand.

Posted Image
+1/0/-0Feedback

#4 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

If he fainted it could've been something heat related.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#5 Spyder + Rotor = Fun

Spyder + Rotor = Fun

Dr.Lemonsoap here to help you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

If he fainted it could've been something heat related.

This. It summer guys, drink water. After you refill your paint, drink water. When you are done eating drink water. If you are refilling air bring a bottle of water with you. Drink lots of water, it is mid summer and blazing hot out.

#6 armypb4

armypb4

serious face

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

asthma attack+heatstroke or overheating?
Pain only lasts a minute. Glory lasts a lifetime
V force grillz, Dye C4 jersey,JT 08 pants, Empire hinge pack, socks and sandals, Ninja peanut tank, black BL vice with UL barrel, empire magna drive

#7 Vaellis

Vaellis

Just call your boy and we'll get luxed together

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Sounds odd
I love when people can't pronounce my user name. ninja 50/45
Posted Image

#8 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

i saw a documentry on energy drinks on tv once, it talked about how some guy died on the field because he passed out from drinking an energy drink, then playing a tourney. they said that his heart rate went up like mad.

it could have been dehydration, possibly.

#9 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

Yah I also heard about this kid playing paintball who had a few energy drinks and that plus the adrenaline of the game ended up killing him.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#10 jordan.f

jordan.f

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

Ya I saw that too I forget the guys name but he died at next paintball a place I actually have been a couple times

#11 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

All of these are good responses. Can you keep us posted if they find the cause of death? I'm curious as to weather it was energy drinks, lack of water, or an underlying health condition. A lot of people can ahve heart problems without even knowing it, even if he was young.

I'm greatly sorry for the family. I hope this doesn't turn people away from the sport.
Posted Image

#12 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Yesterday was a very hot for the Northeast, I can't imagine what it was like in Hawaii. Someone that young, it could very well have been severe heatstroke. It's hard to really gauge that sort of thing as it happens. I pushed myself too far yesterday, and felt terrible effects on the way home from the field.

Very unfortunate, and very sad.
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#13 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

Lesson learned.

Drink at least half a gallon of water the day before you play and a lot in between games.

#14 MiZu

MiZu

New PM8 user!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea. I'm glad there wasn't any "foul play" or anything involved. Next time you go to the field, double check for monster balls?

Our field is FPO so no monster balls.

#15 sullid03

sullid03

Off Topic Lurker.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Man thats sad. yeah guys you gotta drink ALOT of water. i see kids go out there with a gatorade and two water bottles. thats no where near enough.. take a jug out there or like one of those big 28 packs of water bottles.
Hello, my name is Signature. How are you?

#16 eightcoheed

eightcoheed

Amanda Bynes' lover.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I wear a camel back when i play long scenario games, i get weird looks but it helps.
Im sorry to hear about that guy, that really sucks.

Proud member of the United States Air Force

#17 ATPnick

ATPnick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

i would be extremely stunned if it was caused by the sport its self
GET OUT MA PERSONAL SPACE

#18 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

i drink a gallon of water, and according to my pee, im still dehydrated after a day in the sun. i get headaches often too.

Water is the single most important thing out there on the field, that and you mask.

i really want to know the cause of death too, just for the sake of knowledge

#19 oldnewb

oldnewb

always playing Devil's advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

This got me curious... how many fields do you know of that have staff trained (with up-to-date and valid first aid responder certification) in first aid? Not many that I know of... someone with the right training might have been able to help.
Techpb Mike doesn't use Trojan Magnum extra large condoms 'cause he doesn't believe in underboring.

Techpb Mike doesn't hide behind cover. Instead, he shoots down incoming paintballs.

#20 turkey357

turkey357

im Turkalicious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:07 AM

This got me curious... how many fields do you know of that have staff trained (with up-to-date and valid first aid responder certification) in first aid? Not many that I know of... someone with the right training might have been able to help.

its required at most camps...such as scouting camps....and i agree it should be required at theme parks and paintball/airsoft parks
Posted Image
are you a Musician? Join the club! click this to get there!--->Musicians Club Here!

#21 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

i saw a documentry on energy drinks on tv once, it talked about how some guy died on the field because he passed out from drinking an energy drink, then playing a tourney. they said that his heart rate went up like mad.

it could have been dehydration, possibly.

i saw a show where a guy drank like 4 energy drinks then died at a football practice

#22 Kanas

Kanas

684! Exit 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Sorry to hear that, but I think the Heat wave probly caused it
Posted Image
R.I.P BORG!

#23 bubo

bubo

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

its required at most camps...such as scouting camps....and i agree it should be required at theme parks and paintball/airsoft parks

heck a lot of boy scouts have that. I know i do

and something else i see alot at my field is people drinking pop. BAD IDEA PEOPLE, water is way better for you

Edited by bubo, 27 July 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#24 MiZu

MiZu

New PM8 user!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

Yes. Our field has many certified first aid responders. It's a family buisness so the dad, son, and daughter who run the field all know first aid aswell as some of the refs. And for anyone who doubted his physical shape. He was a marine.

#25 oldnewb

oldnewb

always playing Devil's advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

At least one first aid responder (enhanced level first aid, not just CPR training) should be on hand at any paintball park. Think about it... most fields are at least 15-20 min away for ambulance or fire engine response. Without first aid to stabilize someone right away, you're in real danger of death if something happens to you on the field.

Perhaps if insurance companies insisted on first aid, then more fields would take this seriously. In the meantime, field owners should take initiative themselves, and get one of their senior staff members trained.
Techpb Mike doesn't use Trojan Magnum extra large condoms 'cause he doesn't believe in underboring.

Techpb Mike doesn't hide behind cover. Instead, he shoots down incoming paintballs.

#26 Mayo88

Mayo88

i PwN n00bz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

A guy that I knew that races motocross died of a heatstroke at a Motocross event called, "Red Bud." I was working in the concessions that day and he was rushed to the hospital. When word got out that he died at the hospital, they posted a sign up saying how dangerous it is NOT to drink water and then they gave out free water to about 500 people
Posted Image

#27 Sellingbrokenion

Sellingbrokenion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

It's really strange their aren't more deaths in paintball fields specially when you look at other businesses. People collapse all the time and die in places such as burger king, Costco, and most commonly at home. You think about the stress that paintball can put on the body. I feel the lack of deaths at paintball fields can really be attributed to staff, and fellow customers.

#28 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

I am I am I am

(exacpt the one year techinically ended in april so I do need to get a refresher course... if it wasnt 130$ in Canada.... fucking first aid, Hey I want to learn how to save someones life! "Hey we want your cash!")
Posted Image

I bring lots of water with me and sometimes end up handing some out, I'v seen probably 6-7 people now with the signs of heat stroke who I'm pretty sure I might have saved em by telling them that they are not allowed to play the next game until I see them drink an entire bottle of water and sit in the shade for at least 10 minutes.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#29 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

i was playing in a desert today and i drank so much water. about 1 case of water was in and out of my by the end of the day. no soda. no energy drinks( Bawls was a sponsor so they were given away for free) i was over hydrated. but i got little sleep last night so i sat out a half hour cuz i felt really really tired

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#30 Rob-Juskiewicz-PB

Rob-Juskiewicz-PB

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

i usually try to bring like 6 bottles of water, some people say its excessive... better safe then sorry, besides its better then drinking energy drinks all day, basically all they sell at my local field
energy drinks + paintball = bad idea, energy drinks raise your heart rate, while your playing paintball your excersising which raises your heart rate even further... and if its hot outside forget it,

STAY HYDRATED PEOPLE, i've seen far too many people pass out cuz of this!
Setup - MacDev Cyborg RX, White Virtue Spire, Pure Energy 68/4500

#31 Jdalty

Jdalty

Call your hit!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Holy Necro post batman!

#32 zuchaka

zuchaka

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Holy Necro post batman!

well necro post or not someone still died all i can say is it really sucks and this is more of a heads up for people to be smart about their health and hydration levels we are wearing a lot of stuff and it gets hot in there especially if you are older and a big person

#33 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

I bring 6 liters of water to the field, I drink about 4 or 5 of those liters.
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#34 hogzilla88

hogzilla88

Something about narwhals...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Holy Necro post batman!

well necro post or not someone still died

Am I going to hell for laughing at that?

#35 zuchaka

zuchaka

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Holy Necro post batman!

well necro post or not someone still died

Am I going to hell for laughing at that?

well that was me being blunt not an attempt at humor

#36 Nick101

Nick101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

All fields should have someone with a mid level of first aid. Not just someone that can put on band aids. All fields should have someone that knows CPR! I'm the second highest paid at my field cause of my first aid certifcation.

#37 legitpro808

legitpro808

Living the HI life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

wow that sucks. I havent been to bellows in a while. Mostly into speedball now. Thats why you always stay hydrated
Axe Conglomerate v3
Repping the 808 State! Oahu Grown

#38 Rotozip2

Rotozip2

BRO do you even autococker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Survived two necros. good bye thread.

I never get wipers, blood is hard to wipe off.

Do it with style ~ Total Grief

I like autocockers and autococker accessories.

#39 BopIt

BopIt

#Swagg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Survived two necros. good bye thread.

if you lubes tank barrel and hopper you can shoot gooder

[bobalis] I will state a theory that the more attractive the person is, the less crappy their piss will taste but it'll still suck

#40 Ptdoughnut

Ptdoughnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm a ref at my local field and I have the first aid that an EMT needs. I needed it in order to send in a police App

#41 modelstarter

modelstarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

yeah, something similar happened during a local recball tourney here not too long ago. turns out it was a heart attack.. the organizers and/or winners of the tourney ended up donating their winnings to the victims family if im not mistaken...

these kind of things can happen to anyone...even to fit and healthy people, look at the 2 professional footballers in Europe (Soccer for the Americans) that died recently, top physical condition but still happened.

EDIT - holy fuck i had no idea it was a necro, least a DOUBLE NECRO...well thats what happens at 3am after all day of revising for my law finals...

Edited by modelstarter, 11 May 2012 - 01:47 PM.

Pro Axis "enigma", Azodin Kaos, Tippmann SSL-200, Pure energy 68/4500, WGP 14" .687 Kaner barrel
Not your average asian.

#42 Space-Invader

Space-Invader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

this is sad but at least he died doing what he enjoyed....
Proud Christian Baller- Phillipians 4:13
Soccer and Paintball are BANGIN like a BISQUIT
Reppin for the Dope Fresh Nation SAAN!
The one and only Shadow Alchemist - *FMA*

#43 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

this is sad but at least he died doing what he enjoyed....

are you fucking serious right now...

this has been necro'd 3 times already.

#44 dertydood

dertydood

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Triple necro! You can resurrect this thread, but the poor boy isn't as lucky :(
Swap my Ego 11 parts! OG green for white, black, silver etc.... http://www.techpb.co...1

My feedback- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217960-

#45 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

this happens all the time, on sports fields all over the country

It's extremely unfortunate, but at the same time has nothing to do with paintball.

People have hidden conditions and hidden complications that sometimes creep up on us when we least expect it. I'm sorry for the family, that's extremely tragic

#46 stewie1897

stewie1897

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Gravedig, this is a year old post. Sad that it happened though.

Edited by stewie1897, 29 August 2012 - 06:45 PM.

stewietechpb.png

#47 mmunsellb

mmunsellb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

I really hope this does not turn people away from the sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users