• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pbnewbie12

pbnewbie12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

someones talking about compressed air tanks run out of hydro afterawhile?? what is it and can you fill it back up with hydro or something
http://i266.photobuc...all/banner2.jpg
if ur under 14 and pay for ur own gear put this in ur sig
80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that stuck to METAL and rock, put this in your sig!!!

#2 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

Must be reffering to the Haydro date. The Hydro Date on a tank, HPA and CO2, tell when the tank was tested for safety. Tanks have a 3 or 5 year period after they were tested before they need to be test agian for safety. I'm not sure how much the fee is to get a tank rehydro tested, but I know it is cheaper to buy a new CO2 tank than it is to get it rehydro tested. HPA tanks on the other hand, a 4500psi tank is worth spending the cash to get retested and some 3000psi tanks are as well. If I'm not mistaken all tanks under 2.5" in diameter do not require retesting, however, all tanks must be discarded after a period of 15 years no matter what condition they are in or how long is left on the renewed hydro test date.

#3 tommikka

tommikka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Must be reffering to the Haydro date. The Hydro Date on a tank, HPA and CO2, tell when the tank was tested for safety. Tanks have a 3 or 5 year period after they were tested before they need to be test agian for safety. I'm not sure how much the fee is to get a tank rehydro tested, but I know it is cheaper to buy a new CO2 tank than it is to get it rehydro tested. HPA tanks on the other hand, a 4500psi tank is worth spending the cash to get retested and some 3000psi tanks are as well. If I'm not mistaken all tanks under 2.5" in diameter do not require retesting, however, all tanks must be discarded after a period of 15 years no matter what condition they are in or how long is left on the renewed hydro test date.

Steel tanks do not expire at 15 years, fibre tanks do expire at 15 years. The label shows a final expiry date.

UK prices are 25 to 35 for a hydro test if you do not need to post the bottle.

Steel bottles re available at 40 in the UK so testing is viable if you can hand it over to testers yourself, fibre bottles cost in the region of 150.

#4 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

That's 65% more bullet, per bullet.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Steel tanks do not expire at 15 years, fibre tanks do expire at 15 years. The label shows a final expiry date.

UK prices are 25 to 35 for a hydro test if you do not need to post the bottle.

Steel bottles re available at 40 in the UK so testing is viable if you can hand it over to testers yourself, fibre bottles cost in the region of 150.

In the USA, steel/aluminum tanks expire when you run out of room to stamp a new hydro test onto the upper ring of the bottle. Fiber wrapped bottles expire after 15 years. The Hydro test date expires after 3 or 5 years depending on who the bottle's manufacturer is.

For testing, there are several places online that you can mail your tank to. Otherwise I suggest that you find a local scuba shop and ask them where to re-hydro the bottle. If you can find a local fire extinguisher service company, they can retest your bottle and it's usually under $40, with only a day or two turnaround time. Your local fire department should know where to find one of those companies.

Edited by CrazyLittle, 06 February 2009 - 02:40 PM.

Feedback | Everything you need to know about Loctite | I have too many guns to list. Click here to see them.
Posted Image
PrometheanFlame - If I had to pick one of us to survive the rapture/nuclear apocalypse, I'd choose you.

#5 FuRocIOUS

FuRocIOUS

INSANE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

when they hydro date it every 3-5yrs and i think the company uses water to make sure all the pressuring stuff still works. Something like that.

#6 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

So I was under the wrong impression thinking all tanks have a 15 year life, thanks for clearing it up for me and anyone else missinformed. However, no one said anything about 2.5" diameter and smaller tanks not needing retesting being wrong, so was I correct on that part?

#7 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:03 AM

So I was under the wrong impression thinking all tanks have a 15 year life, thanks for clearing it up for me and anyone else missinformed. However, no one said anything about 2.5" diameter and smaller tanks not needing retesting being wrong, so was I correct on that part?

Yes, there are a very SMALL selection of tanks which are exempt from hydro test requirements... BUT chances are very few of us will ever be shopping for them.

Feedback | Everything you need to know about Loctite | I have too many guns to list. Click here to see them.
Posted Image
PrometheanFlame - If I had to pick one of us to survive the rapture/nuclear apocalypse, I'd choose you.

#8 Pizzaluvr

Pizzaluvr

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:08 AM

2" by 2' tanks are exempt from Hydro. THis is 3.5 oz tanks, 9 oz tanks(aluminum, not old school steel/chromoly) , 13/3k, 22/3k are teh only tanks currently used that I can think of off the bat.

Team Fracture
B&E Paintball--Wild World Paintball

#9 Weigel21

Weigel21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

2" by 2' tanks are exempt from Hydro. THis is 3.5 oz tanks, 9 oz tanks(aluminum, not old school steel/chromoly) , 13/3k, 22/3k are teh only tanks currently used that I can think of off the bat.

9oz. steel tanks need to be retested? And Chromoly?! I thought for sure both were exempt from being retested.

Infact, I have a few 9oz. steel tanks and a 14oz steel tank that my local welding supply company told me don't legally need to be retested because they are thicker steel, not thin aluminum. All of them have even been refilled after their hydro date expired.

Edited by Weigel21, 07 February 2009 - 04:37 AM.

#10 Tim

Tim

GETTING BANNED FROM PBNATION JUST MEANS YOUR BAMF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

yeh there is a hydro date i dont think there is any one co2 tanks but on the steel tanks i think it is a 3 year hydro and for carbonfiber tanks its a 5 year hydro date u can go to www.actionvillage.com and thet have on the right hand side for a company thet does hydros
Its not how hard u can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep comming

#11 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

You can get some good info about hydrotesting at http://www.crossfireinc.com/, along with some pictures of the actual testing. They charge $25 to test tanks.

yeh there is a hydro date i dont think there is any one co2 tanks but on the steel tanks i think it is a 3 year hydro and for carbonfiber tanks its a 5 year hydro date u can go to www.actionvillage.com and thet have on the right hand side for a company thet does hydros

Some CO2 tanks need to be rehydroed. I've had a 20oz expire on me. Considering that hydrotesting costs more than a new CO2 tank, usually it's cheaper to just replace CO2 tanks.

Some carbon fiber last 3 years, some are 5. You need to check with the manufacturer of your tank to find out when you tank needs to be retested.

#12 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

• Root Admin
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:35 AM

You can get some good info about hydrotesting at http://www.crossfireinc.com/, along with some pictures of the actual testing. They charge $25 to test tanks.

Some CO2 tanks need to be rehydroed. I've had a 20oz expire on me. Considering that hydrotesting costs more than a new CO2 tank, usually it's cheaper to just replace CO2 tanks.

Some carbon fiber last 3 years, some are 5. You need to check with the manufacturer of your tank to find out when you tank needs to be retested.

I forget where I picked this tidbit up but I seem to recall CO2 tanks requiring a hydro test after 10 years. The way to know for certain is to look up the DOT number that's stamped onto the rim of your CO2 cylinder. That's a permit # that details what the testing requirements are.

Posted Image

#13 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

I forget where I picked this tidbit up but I seem to recall CO2 tanks requiring a hydro test after 10 years. The way to know for certain is to look up the DOT number that's stamped onto the rim of your CO2 cylinder. That's a permit # that details what the testing requirements are.

It all depends on the tank.

My buddy's got a couple of 11 year old 9oz tanks that are small enough that they don't require hydro. The 20oz CO2 cylinder that I had expire went bad at 3 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users