11 replies to this topic

#1 mochotaco

mochotaco

did he just say suck it?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

Anybody know the history behind these things?
Live For Today...Plan For Tomorrow...Party Tonight!

Carolina Ballers Club!

#2 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Well, they were bought out by Cobham Industries.
What used to be Carltech.com is now a redirect to the parent company.

But carbon-wrapped high-pressure bottles are still on the product list. Along with aerospace, aviation, life-support, sensors, and surveillance equipment.

They were always one of the three big names (Carleton, Luxfer, & Catalina) when it came to air tanks.
Traditionally they sell most of the tanks to subsidiaries, who then put on their own reg and market it as a brand-name.

Regardless of who is selling it with whatever name;
There's less than a handfull of companies in the entire world that actually make these vessels, The Carleton facility in Orchard Park, N.Y. is the only one in the United States. The US headquarters is in Westminster, MD.

They still have a PDF of vessels with tech specs on the website, but less than 15% of what they make is used for paintball. To search any particular bottle you would need the ID number. You can go through them by size and pressure and determine which one you might have, even length & diameter are listed.
http://www.cobham.co...der1%200509.pdf

Yes, it says Cobham at the top. But at the bottom of each page you will see little tiny letters that say Carleton Technologies.

Edited by Pyrate Jim, 10 August 2011 - 05:08 PM.

CT Co-ordinator ~ Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Certified Master Airsmith
http://www.paintball-pti.com/

#3 mochotaco

mochotaco

did he just say suck it?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Are they pretty realiable tanks?

Carolina Ballers Club!

#4 hogzilla88

hogzilla88

Something about narwhals...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

I know it's gonna seem biased whatever I say, but the reg is really what matters, assuming the bottle isn't damaged. As long as you use a quality reg (ninja, guerilla. crossfire), you're good. Like the other guy said, there are only a couple companies that actually make tanks. So to answer your question, any non damaged, in hydro tank will be just as good as the next.

#5 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Absolutely.
You gotta figure, any company that has a product that's been used in Paintball to supply nearly half of all players using HPA for two decades or more must have something going for them.

I used a 3K-114ci for 15 years until it ended it's legal lifetime, then I bought a 4.5K-110ci.
Both tanks were made by Carleton with an Air America Raptor adjustable output reg.
(yes, I need both high-volume and adjustable pressure for my primary KP-2)

Carleton supplies maybe 40% of all High-Pressure air tanks used in paintball since we started using HPA in the game.
Luxfer is a little more popular and supplies around 55% because of cheaper labor costs overseas.
Catalina (Cliff div.) carries the last 5% of HPA, but they supply 95% of Co2 bottles used for paintball.

But like Hogzilla said, it ain't the vessel because they all hold air equally ~ it's the reg on top letting that air out of the tank that makes all the difference,

caveat:
(any percentages I quoted are not official by any means. They merely represent my own observations over the last 23 years of playing)

#6 mochotaco

mochotaco

did he just say suck it?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Ok sweet. The one I'm lookin at has a brand new ninja reg on it

Carolina Ballers Club!

#7 Mavalon

Mavalon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

Absolutely.
You gotta figure, any company that has a product that's been used in Paintball to supply nearly half of all players using HPA for two decades or more must have something going for them.

I used a 3K-114ci for 15 years until it ended it's legal lifetime, then I bought a 4.5K-110ci.
Both tanks were made by Carleton with an Air America Raptor adjustable output reg.

Carleton supplies maybe 40% of all High-Pressure air tanks used in paintball since we started using HPA in the game.
Luxfer is a little more popular and supplies around 55% because of cheaper labor costs overseas.
Catalina (Cliff div.) carries the last 5% of HPA, but they supply 95% of Co2 bottles used for paintball.

But like Hogzilla said, it ain't the vessel because they all hold air equally ~ it's the reg on top letting that air out of the tank that makes all the difference,

caveat:
(any percentages I quoted are not official by any means. They merely represent my own observations over the last 23 years of playing)

Ya! finally someone else who likes big tanks!
A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

#8 MUNK3H

MUNK3H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

i have one of there old 3 year hydro tanks sadly its out of hydro and exempt from being re-tested.. :(

its still a pretty solid tank though.

Edited by MUNK3H, 13 August 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image
current setup=Camo 2K5'D Ironmen timmy,47/3000 tank,V.L eggy hopper,jt proflex's.valken pants and jersey.
proudly repping hectors outdoor haven.

#9 Justus

Justus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I know this is a necro-post, but I couldn't find the info anywhere.  Ninja says that their paintball tanks are made in the USA.  I cannot find what company makes them.  Is it safe to assume that they are made by Carleton, since that's the only U.S. manufacturer of these types of air vessles?

#10 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I know this is a necro-post, but I couldn't find the info anywhere.  Ninja says that their paintball tanks are made in the USA.  I cannot find what company makes them.  Is it safe to assume that they are made by Carleton, since that's the only U.S. manufacturer of these types of air vessles?

The manufacturer name should be somewhere on the label, I believe that's required by DOT as is the capacity, pressure rating and expiration date.

It may not be obvious, Sometimes the label itself is more of a giveaway since each manufacturer has their own style of marking the vessel.

Although these days, I wouldn't assume anything.

Ninja could be buying air tanks from some kid with a 3D printer in a garage in Oklahoma for all I know.

#11 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Absolutely.

caveat:

Ya! finally someone else who likes big tanks!

I like 77's if that counts

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#12 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Going through bookmarks...

This is the Cobham/Carleton Technologies list of vessels currently being produced (pdf file):

http://www.cobham.co...925996/cpvp.pdf

:excl:  Ignore the third page about launch vehicles & spacecraft...Those are not paintball related.

This is not to say these are the only size tanks they make, it's quite possible that an individual company could special order a size/pressure just for themselves (under their own brand name) - something that is not a "normal" size and not on the list.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users