• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

While this is all very interesting from a scientific standpoint, I think the main issue here is one of manufacturing.

The way paintballs are manufactured today, I do not see how a shell could be made with dimples.

Paintballs are made in softgel encapsuling machines.

What that means is, that the gelatine is soft during manufacture.

If you look at the link someone provided in this thread to the video of manufacture, you will see 2 soft bands of gelatine, that are then fused together with the fill being injected at the same time - encapsuling the fill.

So far so good.

Now here then is the problem:

After actually manufacturing the ball, it looks much like the bloated soft oversized balls you see on a field, after having laid around for some days in humid conditions.

In order for the paintball to reach the shape and size we use when playing, the balls are dried for some hours after manufacture, either in drums or on trays, that keep the balls moving all the time.

They are in movement all the time, to retain the roundness of the ball.

So, you basically have a soft shell, filled with liquid, under constant movement for hours and hours..... which would mean that any dimples would vanish in the drying process.

At least, I am fairly certain that would be the case, having visited a paintball factory and seen the process at work.

Nick

#52 Leafy

Leafy

Uses the Man Pedal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

While this is all very interesting from a scientific standpoint, I think the main issue here is one of manufacturing.

The way paintballs are manufactured today, I do not see how a shell could be made with dimples.

Paintballs are made in softgel encapsuling machines.

What that means is, that the gelatine is soft during manufacture.

If you look at the link someone provided in this thread to the video of manufacture, you will see 2 soft bands of gelatine, that are then fused together with the fill being injected at the same time - encapsuling the fill.

So far so good.

Now here then is the problem:

After actually manufacturing the ball, it looks much like the bloated soft oversized balls you see on a field, after having laid around for some days in humid conditions.

In order for the paintball to reach the shape and size we use when playing, the balls are dried for some hours after manufacture, either in drums or on trays, that keep the balls moving all the time.

They are in movement all the time, to retain the roundness of the ball.

So, you basically have a soft shell, filled with liquid, under constant movement for hours and hours..... which would mean that any dimples would vanish in the drying process.

At least, I am fairly certain that would be the case, having visited a paintball factory and seen the process at work.

Nick

unless you added the dimples during the drying process.

#53 DumbDumb

DumbDumb

Proudly Sponsored by Dye Paintball And Blades And Triggers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

What about these?

The link to websitePosted Image

They have in .63 .48 .68 calibre, in powdered or paintball. Any one have any ideas?

Edited by DumbDumb, 17 February 2009 - 01:43 PM.

Proudly Sponsored By:
Dye Paintball
Blades And Triggers

#54 Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

What about these?

They have in .63 .48 .68 calibre, in powdered or paintball. Any one have any ideas?

I stand corrected!

Has anyone tested these?

Looks to me like the sheels are hugely thick, and would make for balls that are far from brittle?

Edited by Nick Brockdorff, 17 February 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#55 DrGonzo

DrGonzo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

I knew I was not the first person to have this Idea and It foes not surprise me that they are on the market. I'm gonna have to order some in the future to test for myself.

#56 Captain_Al

Captain_Al

Humble Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

What about these?

omfg! where have these been?
where can i get a case, the site which is linked doesn't seem to have a place where i can get a case shipped to me. this is exactly what we've been on about for about 3 pages worth of discussion goddamn it!!! :P

Edited by Captain_Al, 17 February 2009 - 08:47 PM.

Man i could talk masks all day

#57 DumbDumb

DumbDumb

Proudly Sponsored by Dye Paintball And Blades And Triggers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

uhm, i can get them in south africa, and maybe get them to cockerpunk, but it will cost alot, more than first strike, so any1 interested?
Proudly Sponsored By:
Dye Paintball
Blades And Triggers

#58 Crome

Crome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Ill see if I can get ahold of some and get them to CP asap

#59 lavalettenj

lavalettenj

Super Elite Senior Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

i have a feeling that it is related to the spin though, because I dont remember seeing much of a distance difference shooting golf balls as opposed to weighted ping pong balls out of the air cannon. I bet dimpled balls would kick ass in the flatline though.

Good point.

#60 ble25

ble25

TKE EO 829

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

idk if any one has come up with an idea to test this yet but instead of using a regular paintball wouldnt it be easier to use something like a reball with dimples i think that would be easier to create than a perfectly dented paintball. this is just for the distance test though not for the paint quality or characteristcis
Proedgepaintball.com
paintballzone.net
youpickitwestickit.com
IF YOUR A TKE PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG " TKE EO 829"

#61 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

idk if any one has come up with an idea to test this yet but instead of using a regular paintball wouldnt it be easier to use something like a reball with dimples i think that would be easier to create than a perfectly dented paintball. this is just for the distance test though not for the paint quality or characteristcis

Tom Kaye tried it back in the day - apparently he didn't see a marked improvement.

#62 DrGonzo

DrGonzo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Tom Kaye tried it back in the day - apparently he didn't see a marked improvement.

I know you said earlier in the post the you would take his word for this but in the thread from Automag.org that you posted earlier there was no data or proof of testing it would be nice to actually see if it was any better or any worse. I geuss I'm gonna have to get some myself and make up my own mind.

I mean nothing beats finding out for yourself anyway...

#63 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

i defiantly would like to try it. getting a hold of some is the hard part though.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#64 DrGonzo

DrGonzo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

I have contacted "Section 8" from Alberta, These are a new product and they have not received any as of yet. he is going to look into getting some of these ASAP, he will contact me when he gets more info. APS is located in China so he was not sure how long it may take to get these as he has had some customs issues from this supplier in the past.

I'll keep everyone posted as things proceed.

#65 KISSArmySoldier

KISSArmySoldier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:31 PM

This idea is absolutely ridiculous....

Haven't any of you ever actually PLAYED golf? (not to flame, of course...)

If you haven't, go to your local driving range, rent a Driver and get a small bucket of balls and start swinging away.

If you want those golf balls to go straight, they have to have absolutely true backspin. Any spin in any other direction will case those balls to go crazy left or right.

Therefore, unless you have a barrel that can apply PERFECT backspin to a dimpled paintball every single time, those balls wont go straight.

The smoothness of paintballs actually keeps them going straighter than the dimples would because the lack of friction with the air as the paintball is in flight will resist a small amount of spin in any direction. (to a point)

If the paintballs were dimpled and that ball came out of the barrel with anything other than perfect backspin, you'd be able to shoot the guy standing next to you.

#66 Derek E

Derek E

pwning noobs around the world

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

i believe it has something to do with the fill inside the paintball themselves seeing as a golf ball is hard substance and a paintball has a fluid interior i think that during flight paintballs deform a bit (just as golf balls do, after being hit by a driver or in this case the bolt of the gun, the diameter of the ball squishes together) and thats probably why manufacturers tend to keep the paintballs in the spherical shape ( because if it had dimples all over it the paintball would become to unstable and break in mid flight)

#67 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Damn, you beat me to it. A Reball would probably be ideal for this type of testing because they are easily found, cheaper than rapid prototyping, will have a smoother finish than RP, and you can make any shape you want out of them depending on the tools being used. I would think a Dremel with a small round bit would do the trick. You could also try bits of varying sizes to see if the size of the pocket it creates affects the ball's performance. And you can compare it to a round ball.

#68 warbeak2099

warbeak2099

If you understand my avatar, you're OG, congratulations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

I know you said earlier in the post the you would take his word for this but in the thread from Automag.org that you posted earlier there was no data or proof of testing it would be nice to actually see if it was any better or any worse. I geuss I'm gonna have to get some myself and make up my own mind.

I mean nothing beats finding out for yourself anyway...

I don't know if it was in that thread you saw, but I remember seeing high speed footage when TK tested this. It pretty much showed no difference in the flight path. KissArmySoldier's statement is also correct. In order for a golfball to fly straight, you have to hit it right. You'd have to apply backspin to the ball as it's being shot. So they'd only work in an Apex, Flatline, or Galactic Z body (for Mags).

FS: Loaded 08 PMR
ENS, US Navy
OG Quest|G-Force PneuMag|UL'd PMR

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users