3 replies to this topic

#1 woodsballer015

woodsballer015

Tits or GTFO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Okay, I've looked around a bit and i don't think think these questions have been answered sorry if they have.

1. I`m not " new" to photography I do a little wild life and such but im new to paintball photography and I was wondering if you knew any way to protect my camera and what works best for you? I've seen the towel over the head, but is that so you can see the lcd screen? or for paint splater protection? I've also seen the cardboard box at psp, does that work well? or is there something else that works better?

2. At the moment I have a Nikon D40 and I`m saving for a D7000. I have a 70-300 f4.5-5.6. I was wondering is the D7000 a good investment? or is cannon that much better that i should start from scratch with Cannon? (Also any other lenses that work well im on a little bit of a budget and would just having an 70-300 and a 18-55 be good enough or would you recommend getting something like a 50mm or an 18-105?)

3. At the moment I`m working with light room 3 30 day trial and i really like it but it's expensive so should I take the full investment or is there something that's just as good for cheaper or maybe free?

4. I will be using a JT pro flex as my photograph mask. Right now it has a mirrored lens should i get a clear lens for photography or does the mirror work well to keep glare out of your eyes when taking pictures?

Thanks for any help, it's appreciated.
My website

I bent down and farted in some rentals's face.

I think that's a win.

#2 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

Okay, I've looked around a bit and i don't think think these questions have been answered sorry if they have.

1. I`m not " new" to photography I do a little wild life and such but im new to paintball photography and I was wondering if you knew any way to protect my camera and what works best for you? I've seen the towel over the head, but is that so you can see the lcd screen? or for paint splater protection? I've also seen the cardboard box at psp, does that work well? or is there something else that works better?

2. At the moment I have a Nikon D40 and I`m saving for a D7000. I have a 70-300 f4.5-5.6. I was wondering is the D7000 a good investment? or is cannon that much better that i should start from scratch with Cannon? (Also any other lenses that work well im on a little bit of a budget and would just having an 70-300 and a 18-55 be good enough or would you recommend getting something like a 50mm or an 18-105?)

3. At the moment I`m working with light room 3 30 day trial and i really like it but it's expensive so should I take the full investment or is there something that's just as good for cheaper or maybe free?

4. I will be using a JT pro flex as my photograph mask. Right now it has a mirrored lens should i get a clear lens for photography or does the mirror work well to keep glare out of your eyes when taking pictures?

1. Votex Media Storm Jacket + Lens hood
Posted Image

2. up to you. Canon has a wider selection of lenses and in general, they are cheaper. some people will tell you to go canon, others will say Nikon. in the end, they are the best 2 brands out there.
personally, i chose the 7D. great camera for sports + it has a magnesium body so its built like a tank.

3. there are plenty of ways to get "free" programs. an hour in google will probably point you where you need to go.
i use lightroom when i have a stack of pics to edit(like after an event), but if i only plan on editing 10 or so, ill just do it in PS and spend a little more time with each one.

4. i prefer a clear lens so i can make sure my exposure is where i want it to be. its really all preference though. most of the time you can fix any exposure issues in post so it doesnt matter.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#3 Jalen

Jalen

Resident Psychopath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thinktank makes a waterproof cover for DSLRs that are pretty legit. I'm sure they're expensive as hell though.

2. At the moment I have a Nikon D40 and I`m saving for a D7000. I have a 70-300 f4.5-5.6. I was wondering is the D7000 a good investment? or is canon that much better that i should start from scratch with Canon? (Also any other lenses that work well im on a little bit of a budget and would just having an 70-300 and a 18-55 be good enough or would you recommend getting something like a 50mm or an 18-105?)
The D7000 is amazing, I just upgraded to it from the D40 as well. I'm going to say you're going to need at least 200mm for paintball. Unless of course, you want to be right on the person, and risk your camera getting shot. And if you have a 70-300mm, why the hell would you buy the 18-105 for paintball?

Only if you shoot in RAW, which you should. As far as I know the only programs that recognize the new RAW files from the D7000 are Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5

Actually, I would get a clear lens. You're not going to be able to see through the viewfinder on your camera, no matter how hard you try. Fortunately, the D7000 lets you take pictures using the screen as the viewfinder, like stereotypical digital cameras... And if you're using a mirrored lens and looking at the screen, you're not going to see accurately what your pictures look like, or if you have the exposure correct.

I only play paintball so I can tell dirty jokes.

#4 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

the D7000 is built tough and with magnesium alloy, It can withstand a paintball hit with no problem.
Been hit on my D7000 some times now and it seems to handle it just fine.
I have also been taking pictures in the rain for hours at the time without any rain cover. Never had a problem with it.

If you do like to be on the safe side with hits or water just take some tshirt thing and have the head taped to the end of the lens, your hands trough the arms and the bottom is where you can stick your head.

Edited by Nobben #44, 28 August 2011 - 11:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users