Photo

Wanna play for cheap? No Seriously cheap, as in $10 per day or less?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

I started playing paintball almost 6 years ago, and when I started, I looked at going to a public field, but the cost... Ouch; you would spend a minimum of $50 to play locally.

So being the tightwad that I am, I started looking at my options. First I needed friends to play with me, so I started looking on Ebay for a good deal.

I wanted a marker that was reliable, and easy to modify, but most of all durable, and wouldn't need weekly or monthly work to keep it going...

So since the most popular marker was a Tippmann, and the 98 was super easy to find. I started looking on Ebay as craigslist wasn't popular then. And may times, people can't spell, so searching under "tipman", "Tipmann" or "Tippman" can find you listings that others will not find unless they type in poor spellings.

Look for "lots" instead of just markers, as you usually get the other stuff for practically free.

My first gear setup I purchased had 5 tanks (2 20's, 2 9's and a 12 ounce tank) two masks, an extra barrel and a 98 custom. Since they titled the ebay listing "tipman 98" only, it had little activity, and no reserve. I picked it up for $60 including shipping! I sniped it for $45 if you know what that is.

Then I cleaned it up, aired up the tanks that were still in hydro, and gave it to my father in law for Christmas.

One down, but we needed at least 8 players to play. So I started asking around, I told my brother in law about the deal I found so he asked me to find one for him too. So he got an older 98 custom (silver) with two barrels, three tanks, and a scotts mask for $70 shipped. (again, they spelled it wrong "tipmann custom".)

Then I started looking, first I got a 98 (not a custom) for $35... But, it was worn out, so I replaced the worn parts and sold it for $70. My cost $42! made a profit, Woot! Then I started looking for a A-5 as I saw one at the store and liked the way they felt in my hand, more of a "real" gun feel then the 98. I ended up getting one again on ebay, from a pawn shop who labeled it wrong, and purchased it with a mask, three 20 ounce tanks, and the gun looked brand new for $140 shipped. I had some leftover camo tape, and camo leaves, so I spent some time with an exacto knife, and presto, a custom looking A-5 with camo. Fast forward to today, I am still using that same marker. I've replaced the ratchet a few times, and put in some cyclone parts, and new silicone o-rings a few times, but it still is super reliable, and VERY accurate.

Posted Image

Then we set up our first game and got a bunch of friends involved. I purchased a Chrono off ebay (handheld) for $45. And we bought paint as cheap as we could. (Quickly realizing cheap paint is a BAD idea...)

We play in the woods behind my house, and we have events every month in the fall/winter/spring, our total cost per game depends on how much paint we shoot. But, I don't charge for my field, I chrono every gun every time we play (280 or less) and over the years I have picked up even better deals on craigslist, and from sponsors. Today we have 6 guns/masks that I lend out to new players to try out the games, and we average around 30 per game. I also buy water and cookies for each game, which I give to the players while we play. And I set these guns up so they shoot like mine... Nothing worse than a sorry rental gun that works poorly! I even have Apex barrels on them all, so even the newbies can experience long distance shots!

Posted Image

It has been super fun times.

Well, I've been thinking, my biggest cost to play is paint, how can I get my paint for free? Then I realized... Aluminum prices are outrageous right now, and I drink a few cans of pop a day... What if I saved them and crushed them and put them in boxes, then when it was time to buy paint. I would just watch the prices of Aluminum and take them when prices were high. I saved my cans for two months and I took them to the recycler (two boxes) and it was $20! Then I started asking around at my office. And in ONE week, I got enough cans to fill a box just from the guys at work who drink a lot more pop than I do. I just recently got a large 55 gallon drum can crusher that I will install at my work... More free aluminum, which = more free paint!

Bingo, I now have 4 full boxes ready to go to the scrap yard. That will buy a case of my favorite paint, (Xball scenario woodsball from Dick's for $39.99) Plus I have a $10 off $50 coupon (managers will give you these often if you ask). So two cases of paint will cost $79.98 - $10 = $69.98 plus tax = $75. Or if you plan it right, you can wait until between Thanksgiving and Christmas when paint goes on sale and get it for $34.99 a case... 2 cases = $59.98 plus tax or around $64. That is only $32 a case, or around 4 boxes of crushed cans per box of paint, if you want to go the "free" route. Learning to shoot less is also helpful in playing "cheap". Learn to aim, and not waste paint on shots that you won't make. Don't shoot first and watch that ball and then adjust your aim, learn to aim and HIT with that first shot. Learn to buy paint that is VERY round and not dimpled or stored poorly. Keep your paint in a climate controlled area laying on a towel and turn the bags every few weeks. I have paint last easily a year by doing this process with NO loss of accuracy or change in brittleness. I ask an employee for tape as I open every box before I buy paint to make sure each bag is good, and then seal them back up so I don't leave a mess.

But, you "need" upgrades... AMIRITE?...

Well, most upgrades can be found on ebay for cheap, many times players buy upgrades and for whatever reason don't like them so they sell them "used" although they might have only been used once! I got my first Apex barrel for my A-5 right after they first came out, USED on ebay (guy hated it, it looked brand new when I got it and was still in the box...) I paid $25 shipped...

I purchased a big bag of paintball gear (labled "bag of paintball stuff") for $12 (plus $5 shipping) and when I opened it up, it had a bunch of paint still in the bag, (good for target shooting) and a Core red dot scope WITH mounting bracket for my A-5, a paintball land mine, two real gun scopes, and a bunch of other paintball tools, oils, and other stuff.

I have VERY little cost when I play, and because we play at my field we play when we want, and we set the rules. I have personally gotten over 100 of my friends into the sport since I started, and it is an awesome time to hang out with friends in the woods.

Now another way to get income is to make youtube video's that are interesting and will attract eyeballs to your video"product". Think of things that other players are looking for on youtube. If you get enough hits on your video's, google ad sense will invite you to become a member.

GOOGLE ADSENSE SCAMMED ME OUT OF OVER $100! Don't use them if you are a small provider, as they will advertise on your work for years and then when it is time for them to PAY YOU they will cancel your account, and you will get NOTHING! They did it to me, and they have done it to thousands of small youtube content providers! See page 4 for more details.

At first they will only pick your video's that have lots of views. (Of course the video has to be YOURS, no music stolen or used illegally, no pictures or logos without permission, ect, this has to be legit). The more videos you make that have good viewership, the more likely they will make you a "real" account where you can put ads on ALL of your stuff. The way you make money is if your ad in your video (or on the side of your youtube page) is clicked, you get a few cents... So the more video's you have, the more ads out there. And if you are good at this, you will get picked up by companies that are IN your videos and then guys will click the ads to buy what you are showing in your video. Then you start really making money, as a click to a sale on their site may be much more. Within a year or two it is pretty easy to average around $5 or more a month from your youtube ads. If you have a video go viral... You could make some serious bank from this revenue stream. But, they only pay at $100 increments, so it takes a while to get to that level. But, this is a springboard of options. If you have the most watched video for a certain topic in paintball, sponsors will also get interested in you because they want people making video's that help THEIR product sell. And sponsorships run a HUGE gamut of opportunity. All too often players think, well, I have to play tournament ball and be a top player to be "sponsored"...

Um, no, no you don't. I have played at a public field ONCE since I started playing, and I have sponsors. I don't have a "team", just me, my field a video camera, and youtube account.

If a company is flowing you gear, for a discounted price... That is a sponsorship. If a company is flowing you gear for free... That too is a sponsorship (but clearly better than the first example). If a company is paying you and flowing you gear, that is also a sponsorship (more of a "pro" level sponsorship). But, each is possible, and just like anything else, everyone starts at the bottom. Now to have sponsorships, you need to remember a few "rules" that are unspoken.

First, NEVER badmouth that product or company in public. They are helping you out, if you have a problem, take it up with them directly. The fastest way to ensure you will never be sponsored again is to bad mouth your sponsor. I personally only look for sponsors for products I already use... As I KNOW I love that product.

Second, Do your best to SELL that product you are sponsored for, because THAT is the goal. If someone asks you how you shot them from so far away, show them how your Apex barrel works, and why you use less paint and have better accuracy than they do... Let them TRY your marker and see for themselves the difference. Every time you help your sponsor sell a new product, two things happen, the sport is helped by more revenue and a GOOD product is put on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlNdA_xsZyU

Third, Back up that company, when possible, within reason. If you see someone badmouthing a product you love, find out why, and see if you can help. I have put players who were badmouthing one of my sponsors in contact with a guy way high in that company to get results quickly because they had badmouthed that company in every paintball forum in a span of two days. This player got their used product warrantied, and fixed quickly, and changed their tune about my sponsor, and maybe my sponsor wouldn't have seen those threads and realized the damage that they could have caused if left unchecked...

Fourth, Image is everything, if you are the type of person who rants and cusses and has a bad attitude, and lets it show in public... You probably will never get sponsored for anything. People want GOOD representatives for their product or services, not someone who is a lighting rod of nerves who will cuss out anyone they meet if they offend them in some way. Think about it, look at the biggest sponsored names in all of sports, and what types of things affect their sponsored status... yeah, controversy is usually bad. Sponsors just want to grow their business and sell more of their products. Not get into a big situation because one of their players had a bad day and let everyone know it...

Anyway, these are all things that I have learned and am now passing on to you in case they can help in your future paintball (or other sports) play.

Most of all, Have Fun, because at the end of the day, THAT is what really matters.

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 07 March 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#2 Coastermaniac

Coastermaniac

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Allthough your tips are helpfull I do see alot of problems with your solution.

Basically you have to use low-end guns, don't shoot and play in your backyard with friends. That, for me, takes all the fun away. Also gathering cans the make money is the very last thing I would do.

Although good tips

#3 Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Basically you have to use low-end guns,

did you read what he wrote? he got inexpensive, reliable markers to bring his friends into the sport. of course he's not going to pay $400 a gun. also, every rental is a "low-end gun".

don't shoot and play in your backyard with friends. That, for me, takes all the fun away.

i don't really know what you mean by this...how is playing paintball with your friends not fun? how is not paying a field entry fee not fun?

Also gathering cans the make money is the very last thing I would do.

god forbid you collect something that people throw away so you can make some extra money. do you not use coupons either?

you understand this guy is playing for free right? with (apparently) tons of friends? in his own field? we should all be so lucky...

#4 Kanas

Kanas

684! Exit 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

if i was guna play with my back yard, i would get a spyder pistol, or even the tpx.
Posted Image
R.I.P BORG!

#5 Alted4

Alted4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

don't shoot and play in your backyard with friends. That, for me, takes all the fun away.

i don't really know what you mean by this...how is playing paintball with your friends not fun? how is not paying a field entry fee not fun?

Personal preference. For example, I did not really enjoy playing in LL4. Too much of a disorganized mess for me

#6 Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

isn't that a massive scenario game? i'm not sure what you expect...nevermind it's completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. you dislike huge scenario games; ok.

#7 Alted4

Alted4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

isn't that a massive scenario game? i'm not sure what you expect...nevermind it's completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. you dislike huge scenario games; ok.

The point was not what I specifically like, rather that my interests do not equal everyone else's interests.

OT: Furthering the point on aluminum, if you live relatively near a scrapyard and have a trailer, collect as much metal as possible and take it in. I've gotten up to $300 per trip sometimes.

#8 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,636 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Fast forward to today, I am still using that same marker. I've replaced the ratchet a few times, and put in some cyclone parts, and new silicone o-rings a few times, but it still is super reliable, and VERY accurate.

http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152223

All guns and barrels have the same accuracy.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#9 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

god forbid you collect something that people throw away so you can make some extra money. do you not use coupons either?

you understand this guy is playing for free right? with (apparently) tons of friends? in his own field? we should all be so lucky...

Just look at his videos, The man usually has a good turn out every weekend,
Thats awesome sir. nice thinking from your part.

I collect 12 grams too!

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#10 DruidicRifleman

DruidicRifleman

The Celtic Warrior who BBQ'd your village

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

Scenario play is like herding cats
Current Set up SP1 with a Ninja 90/45 and Velocity And always rocking a Nerf sword
back Up A5 72/30 Pure energy JJ custom barrel

We Killed Humans FOR WE ARE BORG!!!!! RIP In the great PB field in the sky man YOU will BE MISSED!!

Posted Image

#11 Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Fast forward to today, I am still using that same marker. I've replaced the ratchet a few times, and put in some cyclone parts, and new silicone o-rings a few times, but it still is super reliable, and VERY accurate.

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=152223

bullshit, all guns are not the same all barrels are not the same. there are too many variables that affect accuracy and consistency besides the player and paint; this is shown in testing over and over again. also, somewhat irrelevant to the discussion at hand. the topic is how to play "for free". let's keep it on track -_-

#12 Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers

iPump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

bullshit, all guns are not the same all barrels are not the same. there are too many variables that affect accuracy and consistency besides the player and paint; this is shown in testing over and over again. also, somewhat irrelevant to the discussion at hand. the topic is how to play "for free". let's keep it on track -_-

Umm you may want to take a chill pill, and not start a flame war here. 60% of everyone here acknowledges the work that Punk Works does along with everyone else. So just a heads up. Just try not to state your opinion in such a hostile way.

#13 sam0412

sam0412

Hi Marq!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

LIAR! Everything in the thread cooky suggested is 100% true!

But back on track good on you! I wish i could play for free (basically) + i dont see how its not fun i was playing a lovely 1 v 1 against cooky the other day and its better than being in the house

Edited by sam0412, 25 August 2011 - 05:26 PM.

Empire Products Owners' ClubMARQ 6 - 3000/48 Tank - Empire Magna Drive -DYE I4's - Empire Punk Playing Jersey (X-Over) and Empire Playing Pants!

R.I.P BORG - 18/8/2011 Not A Day To Remember But A Day NEVER To Forget! </3

#14 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,636 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

Umm you may want to take a chill pill, and not start a flame war here. 60% of everyone here acknowledges the work that Punk Works does along with everyone else. So just a heads up. Just try not to state your opinion in such a hostile way.

I dont know why I bother really, I take all that time to make a write up, it gets sticked then people still argue with their crap. Punkworks have tested it, and its common knowledge, all barrels have the same accuracy, but what do I know...

You know what, your right Cyco-Dude, CP barrels shoot like shit, and my Bob Long Tournament barrel shoots lasers, so accurate, arent I cool?

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#15 CanadaBaller

CanadaBaller

A picture is worth a thousand words.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

I started playing paintball almost 6 years ago, and when I started, I looked at going to a public field, but the cost... Ouch; you would spend a minimum of $50 to play locally.

So being the tightwad that I am, I started looking at my options. First I needed friends to play with me, so I started looking on Ebay for a good deal.

I wanted a marker that was reliable, and easy to modify, but most of all durable, and wouldn't need weekly or monthly work to keep it going...

So since the most popular marker was a Tippmann, and the 98 was super easy to find. I started looking on Ebay as craigslist wasn't popular then. And may times, people can't spell, so searching under "tipman", "Tipmann" or "Tippman" can find you listings that others will not find unless they type in poor spellings.

Look for "lots" instead of just markers, as you usually get the other stuff for practically free.

My first gear setup I purchased had 5 tanks (2 20's, 2 9's and a 12 ounce tank) two masks, an extra barrel and a 98 custom. Since they titled the ebay listing "tipman 98" only, it had little activity, and no reserve. I picked it up for $60 including shipping! I sniped it for $45 if you know what that is.

Then I cleaned it up, aired up the tanks that were still in hydro, and gave it to my father in law for Christmas.

One down, but we needed at least 8 players to play. So I started asking around, I told my brother in law about the deal I found so he asked me to find one for him too. So he got an older 98 custom (silver) with two barrels, three tanks, and a scotts mask for $70 shipped. (again, they spelled it wrong "tipmann custom".)

Then I started looking, first I got a 98 (not a custom) for $35... But, it was worn out, so I replaced the worn parts and sold it for $70. My cost $42! made a profit, Woot! Then I started looking for a A-5 as I saw one at the store and liked the way they felt in my hand, more of a "real" gun feel then the 98. I ended up getting one again on ebay, from a pawn shop who labeled it wrong, and purchased it with a mask, three 20 ounce tanks, and the gun looked brand new for $140 shipped. I had some leftover camo tape, and camo leaves, so I spent some time with an exacto knife, and presto, a custom looking A-5 with camo. Fast forward to today, I am still using that same marker. I've replaced the ratchet a few times, and put in some cyclone parts, and new silicone o-rings a few times, but it still is super reliable, and VERY accurate.

Then we set up our first game and got a bunch of friends involved. I purchased a Chrono off ebay (handheld) for $45. And we bought paint as cheap as we could. (Quickly realizing cheap paint is a BAD idea...)

We play in the woods behind my house, and we have events every month in the fall/winter/spring, our total cost per game depends on how much paint we shoot. But, I don't charge for my field, I chrono every gun every time we play (280 or less) and over the years I have picked up even better deals on craigslist, and from sponsors. Today we have 6 guns/masks that I lend out to new players to try out the games, and we average around 30 per game. I also buy water and cookies for each game, which I give to the players while we play.

Well, I've been thinking, my biggest cost to play is paint, how can I get my paint for free? Then I realized... Aluminum prices are outrageous right now, and I drink a few cans of pop a day... What if I saved them and crushed them and put them in boxes, then when it was time to buy paint. I would just watch the prices of Aluminum and take them when prices were high. I saved my cans for two months and I took them to the recycler (two boxes) and it was $20! Then I started asking around at my office. And in ONE week, I got enough cans to fill a box just from the guys at work who drink a lot more pop than I do. I just recently got a large 55 gallon drum can crusher that I will install at my work... More free aluminum, which = more free paint!

Bingo, I now have 4 full boxes ready to go to the scrap yard. That will buy a case of my favorite paint, (Xball scenario woodsball from Dick's for $39.99) Plus I have a $10 off $50 coupon (managers will give you these often if you ask). So two cases of paint will cost $79.98 - $10 = $69.98 plus tax = $75. Or if you plan it right, you can wait until between Thanksgiving and Christmas when paint goes on sale and get it for $34.99 a case... 2 cases = $59.98 plus tax or around $64. That is only $32 a case, or around 4 boxes of crushed cans per box of paint, if you want to go the "free" route. Learning to shoot less is also helpful in playing "cheap". Learn to aim, and not waste paint on shots that you won't make. Don't shoot first and watch that ball and then adjust your aim, learn to aim and HIT with that first shot. Learn to buy paint that is VERY round and not dimpled or stored poorly. Keep your paint in a climate controlled area laying on a towel and turn the bags every few weeks. I have paint last easily a year by doing this process with NO loss of accuracy or change in brittleness. I ask an employee for tape as I open every box before I buy paint to make sure each bag is good, and then seal them back up so I don't leave a mess.

Well, most upgrades can be found on ebay for cheap, many times players buy upgrades and for whatever reason don't like them so they sell them "used" although they might have only been used once! I got my first Apex barrel for my A-5 right after they first came out, USED on ebay (guy hated it, it looked brand new when I got it and was still in the box...) I paid $25 shipped...

I purchased a big bag of paintball gear (labled "bag of paintball stuff") for $12 (plus $5 shipping) and when I opened it up, it had a bunch of paint still in the bag, (good for target shooting) and a Core red dot scope WITH mounting bracket for my A-5, a paintball land mine, two real gun scopes, and a bunch of other paintball tools, oils, and other stuff.

I have VERY little cost when I play, and because we play at my field we play when we want, and we set the rules. I have personally gotten over 100 of my friends into the sport since I started, and it is an awesome time to hang out with friends in the woods.

Now another way to get income is to make youtube video's that are interesting and will attract eyeballs to your video"product". Think of things that other players are looking for on youtube. If you get enough hits on your video's, google ad sense will invite you to become a member. At first they will only pick your video's that have lots of views. (Of course the video has to be YOURS, no music stolen or used illegally, no pictures or logos without permission, ect, this has to be legit). The more videos you make that have good viewership, the more likely they will make you a "real" account where you can put ads on ALL of your stuff. The way you make money is if your ad in your video (or on the side of your youtube page) is clicked, you get a few cents... So the more video's you have, the more ads out there. And if you are good at this, you will get picked up by companies that are IN your videos and then guys will click the ads to buy what you are showing in your video. Then you start really making money, as a click to a sale on their site may be much more. Within a year or two it is pretty easy to average around $5 or more a month from your youtube ads. If you have a video go viral... You could make some serious bank from this revenue stream. But, they only pay at $100 increments, so it takes a while to get to that level. But, this is a springboard of options. If you have the most watched video for a certain topic in paintball, sponsors will also get interested in you because they want people making video's that help THEIR product sell. And sponsorships run a HUGE gamut of opportunity. All too often players think, well, I have to play tournament ball and be a top player to be "sponsored"...

Um, no, no you don't. I have played at a public field ONCE since I started playing, and I have sponsors. I don't have a "team", just me, my field a video camera, and youtube account.

If a company is flowing you gear, for a discounted price... That is a sponsorship. If a company is flowing you gear for free... That too is a sponsorship (but clearly better than the first example). If a company is paying you and flowing you gear, that is also a sponsorship (more of a "pro" level sponsorship). But, each is possible, and just like anything else, everyone starts at the bottom. Now to have sponsorships, you need to remember a few "rules" that are unspoken.

First, NEVER badmouth that product or company in public. They are helping you out, if you have a problem, take it up with them directly. The fastest way to ensure you will never be sponsored again is to bad mouth your sponsor. I personally only look for sponsors for products I already use... As I KNOW I love that product.

Second, Do your best to SELL that product you are sponsored for, because THAT is the goal. If someone asks you how you shot them from so far away, show them how your Apex barrel works, and why you use less paint and have better accuracy than they do... Let them TRY your marker and see for themselves the difference. Every time you help your sponsor sell a new product, two things happen, the sport is helped by more revenue and a GOOD product is put on the field.

Third, Back up that company, when possible, within reason. If you see someone badmouthing a product you love, find out why, and see if you can help. I have put players who were badmouthing one of my sponsors in contact with a guy way high in that company to get results quickly because they had badmouthed that company in every paintball forum in a span of two days. This player got their used product warrantied, and fixed quickly, and changed their tune about my sponsor, and maybe my sponsor wouldn't have seen those threads and realized the damage that they could have caused if left unchecked...

Fourth, Image is everything, if you are the type of person who rants and cusses and has a bad attitude, and lets it show in public... You probably will never get sponsored for anything. People want GOOD representatives for their product or services, not someone who is a lighting rod of nerves who will cuss out anyone they meet if they offend them in some way. Think about it, look at the biggest sponsored names in all of sports, and what types of things affect their sponsored status... yeah, controversy is usually bad. Sponsors just want to grow their business and sell more of their products. Not get into a big situation because one of their players had a bad day and let everyone know it...

Anyway, these are all things that I have learned and am now passing on to you in case they can help in your future paintball (or other sports) play.

Most of all, Have Fun, because at the end of the day, THAT is what really matters.

Good! Your helping others join the sport.
HAHA YOUR GUN SHOOTS ROPES!?!? Well mine shoots the other team!

#16 Coastermaniac

Coastermaniac

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

did you read what he wrote? he got inexpensive, reliable markers to bring his friends into the sport. of course he's not going to pay $400 a gun. also, every rental is a "low-end gun".

Of course I read what he wrote, inexpesive = low-end, shoot my droid beside a 98 and see what's nicer.

Ok let's see, if he plays with his friend on his backyard he has one field , two if it's a big backyard. Considering he doesnt put any money on the field it's must be pretty dull conpared to a real field with various sized/styles fields. I also play with friends... at a paintball field.

Going around for a month gathering thrash for a case of paint ? No thank you I have a job, 8h = a case of paint

You understand he is playing in his backyard on that same one field shooting tippmans. Sure he has fun sure it's cheaper, but i'd rather pay 30 $ have good paint, a high-end and lots of fields. He sacrifices this for saving money good for him.

Also from that post about accuracy i'm just going to assume you are 11 yo/a troll.

#17 pxndx

pxndx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like image controls you.

#18 Rollieelmo

Rollieelmo

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

With field sponsorship at one field, and being friends with the owner of the other, I can work the system in my area pretty well. Also, I've been trying to buy gear cheap and resell for a profit. And I just yesterday started collecting alluminum cans. However, my outlaw field sucks. Nice write up Posted Image
Rockin' Cocks Revolution
MCB Feedback - Techpb feedback - PBN Feedback

#19 They Call Me Wonderbread

They Call Me Wonderbread

I also love saving the money.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

You understand he is playing in his backyard on that same one field shooting tippmans. Sure he has fun sure it's cheaper, but i'd rather pay 30 $ have good paint, a high-end and lots of fields. He sacrifices this for saving money good for him.

Also from that post about accuracy i'm just going to assume you are 11 yo/a troll.

I'm sure the OP wouldn't care to much if you brought your high end marker and paint, they use low end markers because he's loaning them out to friends. Could you afford to loan out several $1000+ to your friends, just to get them into the sport?
Posted Image
Cockerpunk - #1 awesome guy.

#20 Duoc

Duoc

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Of course I read what he wrote, inexpesive = low-end, shoot my droid beside a 98 and see what's nicer.

Ok let's see, if he plays with his friend on his backyard he has one field , two if it's a big backyard. Considering he doesnt put any money on the field it's must be pretty dull conpared to a real field with various sized/styles fields. I also play with friends... at a paintball field.

Going around for a month gathering thrash for a case of paint ? No thank you I have a job, 8h = a case of paint

Not everyone can go around buying DM's and Ego's. For most of us, if we did, we would have a very nice center piece for the table and could not afford to go out and actually use it.

I don't think he is replacing a job with running around collecting cans. Its a good side hobby (saving the environment and making a little money) but he also said he collected cans from his work. 8 hours to pay for a case of paint? You are either buying some really expensive paint for a weekend warrior, or you are at minimum wage. I get $10/hour as a part time job and I'm hesitant to buy school supplies, let alone new paintball gear.

The purpose of the thread is to enlighten others on how to play on a budget. Most of us going to the field will pay an average of $80-90 for paint and fees. Then add that to whatever you pay for your spiffy equipment to stay ahead of the crowd. For what you can get for a high end marker, you could get reliable gear (as the OT did) and play with friends weekly without breaking the bank. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. There's nothing lamer than going to a field by yourself to play. And a lot of people are turned off of the sport just by the rental and paint cost. So why not make your own little field and have a good time with friends, and avoiding those little fire cracker kids that have a temper at the field.

#21 Bravotv

Bravotv

Take a picture, it will last longer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

I bet you that this Guy is sponsored by tippmann or something for shure besides playing at a filed is wayy funner than at youre backyard. besides quit being so cheap if youre a sponsored player also this post kinda pissed my off just because it sounded cheezy

Viagra, lubricant, and pornographic movies? If that package arrived at my house, I'd be calling a babysitter and making reservations at the Marriott

Feedback 1/0/0

#22 ExtremeFacepainter

ExtremeFacepainter

Das Boot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

What write up...good job!

#23 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

Get a 50 cal setup yea it's not the same but it works out and its like a gift from god to those aggressive players who don't stop shooting the kingman advancer is like the highest quality marker in the kingman line and if not your going to really have to dig and look for a gimilsim it's basically a 50 cal vibe
Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#24 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Ahh, the "backyard" assumptions...

How big is my backyard? I see from earlier posts I only have one "field" back there... No way it could be nice, because I'm a budget player and I didn't spend any money on it...

Really, how much did I spend on my field?

I'm picking on the guy that said that stuff, but only to make a point about how we assume things that aren't stated. I could have 50 acres of land, and my "backyard" could be bigger than your local park. Unless I say, or show pictures, you wouldn't know, and yet why do we always want to make huge assumptions about things that we don't know about?

I've always wondered why humans (I'm not just picking on you, as I do it too at times) like to make huge assumptions about things, instead of just finding out the truth for ourselves? It is a strange phenomenon of human psychology.

Anyway, back to budget balling.

What was the best outing you ever had playing paintball? What made it great?

For me, it was playing with my friends, and sneaking up on my brother (who plays as a sniper... another talk for another big long discussion somewhere else) and tapping him with my barrel from behind him when he was laying in his sniper den waiting for me to cross the hill in front of him! He had NO clue I was there, and I snuck up like an assassin and even pulled a paintball out of my hopper to "slit" his neck with it. Too bad his team got my flag right as I was reaching out to paintslit his neck...

Anyway, I enjoy playing the game, the adrenalin rush, the snapshooting, the marksmanship, the stealth, it is all a rush, but the bonding with other guys that I know is the best part... And the stories... lots of memories.

Sorry, back on topic.

Playing capture the flag in the woods with your friends can be an amazing time, but you need some guidance.

First off, it is never fun to play with cheaters. If you shoot someone, and they don't call themselves out, that ruins the day for everyone, because no one likes to get eliminated by a guy they ALREADY shot out. So we stress honor and integrity at my field. We play by different rules than most paintballers, because I find that the "typical" rules for paintball are set up to promote cheating...

We play if you are HIT you are OUT, regardless of paint breaks...

I know, shocking...

But really, if I want my buddy who just lost his job to play with us, and he can only afford the $25 dollar case of paint from wal-mart, that has a shell hard enough that it feels like a rock hitting you, and rarely breaks... Do I want him laying down hundreds of those .68 caliper bb's on one of my new players just to get a "break"? We all know that isn't fun... Also, we play with no refs, because really, how fun is it to have to be the ref... I sure don't want to do it, I'd rather PLAY. And that shot you just took to your back... You have NO idea if it "broke" or not... Do you play on till you find a ref to get a paint check?... Or just keep firing and ignore it and assume it didn't break. (hmm, see what I mean about that rule promoting cheating). The goal is to shoot your opponents, if you get unlucky and the paint doesn't break for whatever reason (we all know how often that is) why should that keep you in the game... The guy SHOT you?

New players that play paintball a lot, seem to have the biggest problem with this rule, as they are used to claiming "bounce" for a large number of their hits. Last time we played I shot a guy 8 times... 8 TIMES and EVERY one broke, over a period of at least a minute of a fire fight. I finally shot him right between the eyes, and only THEN did he call himself out... (he said he thought they all bounced... yeah right).

But, at a private field, I can take him off the list, and eliminate that issue... I tried the talking to him about it first, and we will see how he plays the next time.

We also use air horns as our "flags" this makes a very low cost method of alerting everyone on the field that the game is over, as you can hear an air horn over at least 50 acres of land. And the cool part is, you can usually tell which camp it came from so everyone knows which team "won". I found a place that sells air horns that mount onto Co2 bottles, so I just use old 9 ounce tanks for each camp. And I have walkie talkies at each flag, where we all stand before each game starts so we can talk to each other before the games. (since our bases are so far apart you can't see or yell from one side to the other). We currently have 3 camps in my backyard, as well as a field where we play field type games (revolutionary war, and 20 paces) as well as a 1 acre field where we hold our "fieldball" games we call the Field of Doom. (a very fun game that is a mixture of speedball and woodsball). We also have another field where we play king of the hill, and another area where we play a trail game where the goal is to get past the other team (you have to stay within 15 feet of the Trail of Doom) and get to the other teams flag first. VERY stressful, and fun.

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 26 August 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#25 Coastermaniac

Coastermaniac

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Look I never said your solution was not good, it's just that it applies only to people that have big backyards.

I can't make my normal paintball day at the field's cost go down with your solution, thats what i'm saying

#26 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hey, I'm not picking on you at all... Me having a big backyard is not everyones situation, but that is only a small part of what I put down here.

You can't make youtube video's and start a revenue stream there, or save your pop cans when you drink them, or figure out when paint goes on sale to buy it for less.

All of those things could save you money that you could use to play more at your local field.

As a society we have lost the thought process of "making money". See my moniker. I have been called "FreeEnterprise" since the late 80's. I have ALWAYS been doing things to make money, which I then spend on my family/hobbies/friends. And they rarely involve my actual "job"... It just involves thinking of things we can do in our spare time, (which we all have, even if we don't want to admit it) and using that time to make money that we can use on other things, you may want to use it at your field.

#27 Kid player

Kid player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

We play in the woods behind my house, and we have events every month in the fall/winter/spring, our total cost per game depends on how much paint we shoot. But, I don't charge for my field, I chrono every gun every time we play (280 or less) and over the years I have picked up even better deals on craigslist, and from sponsors. Today we have 6 guns/masks that I lend out to new players to try out the games, and we average around 30 per game. I also buy water and cookies for each game, which I give to the players while we play.

Now another way to get income is to make youtube video's that are interesting and will attract eyeballs to your video"product". Think of things that other players are looking for on youtube. If you get enough hits on your video's, google ad sense will invite you to become a member. At first they will only pick your video's that have lots of views. (Of course the video has to be YOURS, no music stolen or used illegally, no pictures or logos without permission, ect, this has to be legit). The more videos you make that have good viewership, the more likely they will make you a "real" account where you can put ads on ALL of your stuff. The way you make money is if your ad in your video (or on the side of your youtube page) is clicked, you get a few cents... So the more video's you have, the more ads out there. And if you are good at this, you will get picked up by companies that are IN your videos and then guys will click the ads to buy what you are showing in your video. Then you start really making money, as a click to a sale on their site may be much more. Within a year or two it is pretty easy to average around $5 or more a month from your youtube ads. If you have a video go viral... You could make some serious bank from this revenue stream. But, they only pay at $100 increments, so it takes a while to get to that level. But, this is a springboard of options. If you have the most watched video for a certain topic in paintball, sponsors will also get interested in you because they want people making video's that help THEIR product sell. And sponsorships run a HUGE gamut of opportunity. All too often players think, well, I have to play tournament ball and be a top player to be "sponsored"...

Good! Your helping others join the sport.

was it really necesary to quote him? my eyes killed me :P

EDIT: oh shit i qouted the OP also...
Hey I play paintball. I like it.

#28 Kid player

Kid player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

I bet you that this Guy is sponsored by tippmann or something for shure besides playing at a filed is wayy funner than at youre backyard. besides quit being so cheap if youre a sponsored player also this post kinda pissed my off just because it sounded cheezy

wow this is your first month in the forum and look what you just said. it aint takin nicely when that happens, just thought i would tell you. i personally think that this was an awesome idea. it may not be as fun as the first time you played in the backyard, but with the money he saved, he can go play feilds(if he wants to) whenever he wants.

Edited by Kid player, 26 August 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Hey I play paintball. I like it.

#29 Armyguyz99

Armyguyz99

The Awsome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

i play pump so i dont have to buy alot of paint, i also have a season pass to my field so all i have to pay for is paint. paint cost for me is $60 so i only pay that every 4th time i play

#30 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

I put my thoughts on this topic on his thread on page 5 if anyone is interested...

Lots of lulz to be had for sure.

#31 pbkid74

pbkid74

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Its a pretty cool idea
Set up:
Invert Mini Dust Black, Ninja 45/45 tank, Empire Magna smoke, Dye i4's black
PAINTBALLS DO HURT.....For a second so stop being such a bitch about...

#32 JAWM

JAWM

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

but the bonding with other guys that I know is the best part... And the stories... lots of memories.

yep i agree %100, thats the point of paintball, having fun. Doesn't matter if its a field or backyard, thats all you need to have a good day of paintball

#33 Coastermaniac

Coastermaniac

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

All of those things could save you money that you could use to play more at your local field.

It's kinda my point, me making more money won't make the fees themselves go down. But I see your point

#34 pbkid74

pbkid74

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

but the bonding with other guys that I know is the best part... And the stories... lots of memories.

yep i agree %100, thats the point of paintball, having fun. Doesn't matter if its a field or backyard, thats all you need to have a good day of paintball

Yes my dad makes fun of me because I play for sport and fun but he has no idea how much fun i have hanging with my guys shooting each other having a blast
Set up:
Invert Mini Dust Black, Ninja 45/45 tank, Empire Magna smoke, Dye i4's black
PAINTBALLS DO HURT.....For a second so stop being such a bitch about...

#35 Bravotv

Bravotv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

Yes my dad makes fun of me because I play for sport and fun but he has no idea how much fun i have hanging with my guys shooting each other having a blast

My dad sais that its bad because in paintball youre training to shoot at other people which is training you for war. and its a drug like meth.....no he really said that

Viagra, lubricant, and pornographic movies? If that package arrived at my house, I'd be calling a babysitter and making reservations at the Marriott

Feedback 1/0/0

#36 OBF

OBF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

How much did you pay for bunkers? And how do you fill your air/CO2 tanks?

My feedback: http://www.techpb.co...331&hl=feedback

10/0/0

#37 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

No paid for bunkers, we have thick woods, with tons of mature trees large enough to hide behind. And trees that fall we use to hide behind, it makes it feel less like a "typical" paintball field and more like a real warzone, as not too many warzones have built bunkers all over the place. There are two large hills and a camp at the top of each, and you have to go down and cross at least one creek before you climb the hill to the other camp. We also have a side camp that we use in the winter when we play in the snow and don't feel like climbing the hills...

I don't have any fill capabilities, everyone brings their own air. Two 20's is what I recommend. I usually have about 5 filled tanks and I let guys borrow them if they only have a single and run out...

Our fieldball field has grass "bunkers" except sometimes you can in fact shoot thru them, so it isn't "protection" for sure.

Here is a video showing that field from a few years ago.

Here is an old video showing our capture the flag field, one days worth of action in 2009.

#38 Bravotv

Bravotv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

Sorry for saying that you were fake and everything in an earlier post, i judged too quickly and now i feel bed. As for our field what we do is we have an alsost leader and he sells paint too us and gives us CO2 and air fills (air is for free as long as you help pay for gas to run the compressor). I personally Cant stand CO2 because it is more expensive in the long run. If i were to give you guys a suggestion then i would ray get a compressor they cost 2 or 3 thousand dollars or just all of you pitch in and get 2 or 3 scuba tanks and you can fill them up at youre local scuba shop. for like 20 bucks. As for paint out so called leader he goes out and buys something like 120 cases of paint and sells it to us at a little bit of a higher rate because he also earns a few bucks, but what you guys could do is you do the same as he does however you dont jack up the prices and sell the paint for what you get so you can give sell youre friend better quality paint for alsost the same price as walmart sells their crappy monsterballs. It woudint really be a buisness venture but something that helps out youre friends you you guys can go out and play more often at an often cheaper price. As for equipment i have a DP G3 wich costed me 200, so the same as a new a5. The problem where i loive is that my area is a small community of 10k so we dont really have any deals on craigslist that i could jump on.

Feedback 1/0/0

#39 gamefreak054

gamefreak054

BLuRGhh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

Decent ideas, but imo not really practical. Idk its too hard relying on friends for paintball. They never want to go and almost always cancel. I gave up on them. I just play by myself and my lil bro. This is also without mentioning that this would never work if you live in a suburb like me.

Besides, if you can find a reasonable field you can get by reasonly cheap. With the membership I just bought I get by with $20 a day.

Edited by gamefreak054, 27 August 2011 - 11:19 PM.

#40 Bravotv

Bravotv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:23 AM

Umm i love havi ng my posts ignored by people...

Feedback 1/0/0

#41 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the help
RAWR?

#42 Fluryman33

Fluryman33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Bumping for the love of this topic :D

#43 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Well, even though the economy is in the dumps... I had 42 friends out on 12/31/11 for my last event!

Tons of video on my youtube channel. Subscribe if you are into that kind of thing.

#44 raven_op

raven_op

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

i wish i lived near you, i would be out for this so fast it would be unfit.haters might hate the idea of having to do extra cirricular activities to get what you have, but shit man, that's epic. you have an awesome field to play at and apparently no lack of people to fill it up with.

you are the embodiment of what paintball should represent, and that's fun.

#45 ricrimshot

ricrimshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

very good ideas that should be utilized by the people who are in desperate need of this kind of help just to buy a case of paint. like someone said though, some ideas may be hard to do depending on your situation, where you live, etc. like having your own backyard field, sounds like you did a pretty amazing job, but for most of us, its just not going to happen.

id also like to thank you for the great work your doing in the sport by introducing people into paintball, and not only that but showing them the fun honest friendly side :tup: without letting in a lot of people that seem to ruin the image of paintball with their actions.:tdn:

i do however wish you would support your local paintball shop by buying your paint there instead of the big chain stores such as dick's and walmart. seems like you live in a very rural area since you have such an enormous amount of property so there may not be a shop that is close enough to be reasonable and i understand, as mike said"i dont wanna be buyin my paintballs from the same people i can buy my baby food from" just something to think over.

all in all, i think your tips are fantastic. although some people may have trouble doing some they should do the ones they can. and thanks for growing paintball in a positive way

Sweeeeeeeeet. I've never had a post sig'd before yaaaaay. Maybe I'll be a post sig whore;)

My Feedback 1/0/0

#46 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

I did support my local shops, (even advertised for them in all my emails) but they all went out of business a few years ago...

We only have local field stores, and I do support them when I can. I buy all my small parts from them instead of online, and I purchased 5 cases of paint from paintball country at the beginning of the season! And I sent my players over there to get their paint, we ended up buying over half a skid from them, and they said they would carry paint for us if I wanted!

#47 ricrimshot

ricrimshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

I did support my local shops, (even advertised for them in all my emails) but they all went out of business a few years ago...

We only have local field stores, and I do support them when I can. I buy all my small parts from them instead of online, and I purchased 5 cases of paint from paintball country at the beginning of the season! And I sent my players over there to get their paint, we ended up buying over half a skid from them, and they said they would carry paint for us if I wanted!

good to know then :tup: that just about the only thing i could see you doing different and you already are

Sweeeeeeeeet. I've never had a post sig'd before yaaaaay. Maybe I'll be a post sig whore;)

My Feedback 1/0/0

#48 imadog

imadog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have seen some of the Trails of Doom videos and have to say, I have been nothing but impressed. Most of the games seem fairly organized (being that it is with friends), but most importantly you can tell everyone is out there having a great time on the field. Great work for getting people into the sport, seems like most people like to scare new players out of it. Also must be nice having woods for your backyard...

Tippman: Highend Brass Eagle.

#49 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks!

My goal is that everyone who plays at my field has FUN. And LOTS of it!

I'm thinking about adding a scenario to our next event in a few weeks. Should be interesting!

Check out my new ZoomCam mount I am working on... Budget for the build is $25!

The standard def works fine but for some reason youtube messed up the processing, as the HD version is in slow motion... weird, never seen that before!

#50 thed3monvisionz

thed3monvisionz

Thats me up there ^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

NICE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users