• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Thathard

Thathard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

At decay of nation scenario about 20 people passed out in the woods many have to be rushed to the hospital. 2 people were in critical and were about 20 mins from death. Decay of nations broke the city record for most emergency vehicles called out for an event. Why would you put the event in the hottest days of the year(118 degrees in the woods). And someone use a lot of smoke grenades in the same spot and started a fire. It was still fun but not for those 20 people.

Edited by Thathard, 29 August 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#2 Nemoxhoek

Nemoxhoek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Dayum almost kinda glad I broke my leg and couldn't go, players need to know to always be hydrated specially in scenario games.

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,147 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:26 AM

It wasn't 20 people, more like a few. The event is planned far in advance, so they have no way of knowing how hot it would be. I played all day Saturday and Sunday at Decay of Nations without any problems. It's all about being smart and staying hydrated.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#4 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

no the fields fault. The most important thing you can bring to a scenario game is water, and the people who passed out should have been more prepared.

#5 Thathard

Thathard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

I was drinking water like crazy but I still almost passed out when I was in the hot parts of the woods

#6 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:13 AM

do what bear grylls does and dink your own piss and use your pod as a cup :P

or get a camelpack, whatever one works best.

#7 Baux18

Baux18

Screw you guys, I'm goin home.

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

I was drinking water like crazy but I still almost passed out when I was in the hot parts of the woods

you ill be cooler when in the woods, and under the tree's.
Posted Image

Well aware, he is a master of sarcasm, and I love me my Baux.

#8 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,931 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

Depends on how thick the woods are, and whether or not there's a breeze. If it's thick woods with no breeze, then it will get pretty damned hot, hotter than on an open field, where you have a breeze.

#9 Baux18

Baux18

Screw you guys, I'm goin home.

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:09 AM

Depends on how thick the woods are, and whether or not there's a breeze. If it's thick woods with no breeze, then it will get pretty damned hot, hotter than on an open field, where you have a breeze.

fair enough
Posted Image

Well aware, he is a master of sarcasm, and I love me my Baux.

#10 thed3monvisionz

thed3monvisionz

Thats me up there ^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Jesus christ man.......

#11 Flonominal

Flonominal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

I was out there all weekend, and he was not exaggerating about the number of people passing out and needed medical attention. It was the hottest weather for a Decay of Nations event thus far and people passing out due to heat stroke has been a constant issue since the very first DON event. Every year it seems as though the number of people stroking out increases. I prepared 3 weeks prior drinking nothing but room temperature water, yet come 1:00pm I almost took a knee from the heat. By 2:00pm, a fairly large number of groups who looked to be in it all weekend, packed up and left. The Giant staff even had a difficult time and some were included in the number of people heat stroking.

The event itself has improved (on paper at least) however the weather severely hindered playing time so we couldn't really experience all the improvements. Fortunately, Sunday was bearable to stay on the field longer however due to the circumstances on Saturday, game time was cut shorter than it could have been and started up later. I am also surprised that there was no water spray/mist this year since they had it last year. Aside from the heat, they should have kicked out the knucklehead and his 'team' for using a smoke bomb that potentially sparks a fire. Real smart, as there is nothing but dry brush on majority of the fields.

To prevent such problems with the weather, Gio really needs to consider moving the date of the event out of late August. Typically, August always is the hottest month particularly in Corona, CA. By moving the date, you'll see a significant boost in the number of players, and in turn be able to provide a better experience for the player by making it a sort of spectacle that draws all players in California. More players can provide more companies and business's to come out and provide even more side attractions/side events. In the end, it would be bigger revenue draw and I think that is the main factor for Gio.

#12 Hibiki54

Hibiki54

Lord of the Western Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

I was out there all weekend, and he was not exaggerating about the number of people passing out and needed medical attention. It was the hottest weather for a Decay of Nations event thus far and people passing out due to heat stroke has been a constant issue since the very first DON event. Every year it seems as though the number of people stroking out increases. I prepared 3 weeks prior drinking nothing but room temperature water, yet come 1:00pm I almost took a knee from the heat. By 2:00pm, a fairly large number of groups who looked to be in it all weekend, packed up and left. The Giant staff even had a difficult time and some were included in the number of people heat stroking.

The event itself has improved (on paper at least) however the weather severely hindered playing time so we couldn't really experience all the improvements. Fortunately, Sunday was bearable to stay on the field longer however due to the circumstances on Saturday, game time was cut shorter than it could have been and started up later. I am also surprised that there was no water spray/mist this year since they had it last year. Aside from the heat, they should have kicked out the knucklehead and his 'team' for using a smoke bomb that potentially sparks a fire. Real smart, as there is nothing but dry brush on majority of the fields.

To prevent such problems with the weather, Gio really needs to consider moving the date of the event out of late August. Typically, August always is the hottest month particularly in Corona, CA. By moving the date, you'll see a significant boost in the number of players, and in turn be able to provide a better experience for the player by making it a sort of spectacle that draws all players in California. More players can provide more companies and business's to come out and provide even more side attractions/side events. In the end, it would be bigger revenue draw and I think that is the main factor for Gio.

There was also the shenanigans at night. 16 year old kid (UNA) was sent to the hospital with missing chunks of skin after getting hit repeatedly by several players shooting hot. Players on Ekron were causing so many infractions that Dennis and Gio ripped into them. Around 30 people on Ekron were kicked out of Decay of Nations that night.
Posted Image

#13 thed3monvisionz

thed3monvisionz

Thats me up there ^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

i had passed out from heat exhaustion during pb, being dehydrated is no joke. luckily my friend dad was a marine and knew what to do Posted Image.

#14 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

it always seems to be the night games where people start breaking rules probably because they think "oh no1 can see me herp derp" i know at the LL4 night game there was a guy with a strobe attached to his gun and connected to the trigger so everytime he shot the thing would go off. the best part was when i was in a tower with 2 other players and the guy behind me hit the ground when he shot at a player off to our right and he told me that he suffered from seizures and that if he was hit by the strobe he would most likely have a severe seizure. i jumped out of the tower and told a ref to get him to shut it off and the ref yelled at him and the light went off. i ran to a bunker mid field and the guy started yelling "i see you motherfucker" and started laning at me with the strobe on. i snapped up and shot right above his head came down pumped and put the next on him it looked like, and we didn't see him the rest of the night, the ref's were trying to find him to pull him

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#15 ThunderLights

ThunderLights

Turbocharged Member

• Members
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

wow...

ive almost passed out from dehydration before, im telling you, its not funny.

gotta drink tons and tons of water..

#16 AbaddonTheDespoiler

AbaddonTheDespoiler

Cold Blooded Mother Fucker.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, it was crazy fucking hot there. I would drink at least a gallon of water before the battle started and when I got out or ran out of paintballs, I would go back to my SUV and drink another gallon of water before refilling air and stocking up on paintballs. I decided not to wear my jersey, so I wore a light colored T-Shirt and my paintball pants, and even then I was still sweating buckets. Luckily I made it through the whole weekend without passing out. Hope those guys who passed out are okay.
My Setup: PE Ego 11, Empire Events, Ninja 68/4500 w/SLP Reg, Empire Prophecy Z2, PE 2012 EVX Distortion Jersey, PE 2012 EVX Distortion Pants, PE 2011 Overload Knee Pads, PE 2011 Overload Elbow Pads, Critical Stealth V2 Pod Pack 4+5.
Backup Guns: Macdev Clone VX Russian Legion Lasered, Bob Long Ripper Victory.

#17 CptObvious

CptObvious

US Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

One thing that irked me when I played in the southwest was the amount of people decked out in tactical gear. I'm not talking about just vests. I am talking about hard pads, kevlar helmets, BDUs/ACUs/ABUs (some BDU were event the winter weights! And ABUs are not the lightest of uniforms, I hate mine). It would be middle of summer in Vegas, 120, no clouds, nothing and these people would be passing out. I don't have enough fingers to count the times we would have to stop a game to help someone. I am not against milsim, but I am not a fan of no common sense. I do remember Decay of Nations II as being hot as balls out. I think the producers need to really push hydrating whenever they talk about their event in the months leading up to it. Too many people do not realize that attempting to hydrate 2, 3, 4 days in advance will not help. By then, its too late.

Headbangers Scenario Team

#18 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,147 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Luckily, Gio is moving the next DoN to the last week in June. Historically, it's never gotten hotter than 85 that time of year.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#19 1pump1kill

1pump1kill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

This is just hilarious xD

Hey buddy, give me cover fire while I charge the flag. The guy runs up and gets lit up by paintballs. He turns and looks at his partner that collapsed on the ground. lulz.

On a serious note, I suppose the event should advertise and urge players to stay hydrated. Those players need electrolytes. They need BRAWNDO!

#20 Anthills

Anthills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

There was also the shenanigans at night. 16 year old kid (UNA) was sent to the hospital with missing chunks of skin after getting hit repeatedly by several players shooting hot. Players on Ekron were causing so many infractions that Dennis and Gio ripped into them. Around 30 people on Ekron were kicked out of Decay of Nations that night.

That "knucklehead" who threw the smoke grenade was kicked out I believe. As for his team, he didn't have one. People believed that he was from the team Savoy 6, but apparently he somehow acquired the team's shirt without the team knowing.
As for the night game, one can't say that Ekron cheated. In reality both teams contained individuals who cheated, but to say that just Ekron cheated because they won the night game is absurd. Aslo, I doubt 30 people from Ekron were kicked out from the night game. That many people could not have been kicked out for who can identify them for whatever reason during the night game?

#21 Anthills

Anthills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

This is just hilarious xD

Hey buddy, give me cover fire while I charge the flag. The guy runs up and gets lit up by paintballs. He turns and looks at his partner that collapsed on the ground. lulz.

On a serious note, I suppose the event should advertise and urge players to stay hydrated. Those players need electrolytes. They need BRAWNDO!

That's pretty much what happened. Haha. Tho, the event did urge player to stay greatly hydrated and to keep masks off when not in game. Some people just failed to realize that DoN isn't Ekron vs UNA, but the players vs the heat. Lol.

#22 Grakken

Grakken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

BIG BIG difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Not sure on what the real numbers for both were. Bottom line, it was hot, real hot. I've played in all the decays and this one was pretty hot, but they were always hot. Some people just don't get it. It is not the fields fault if you go tits up on the field. It is your own damn fault! Drink water and play within your abilities. First game started, i was a tad light headed coming off the field. It prompted me to drink lots (more) of water/gatorade, dunk my headwrap in water and slow my pace on the field. This is called common sense. perhaps today it is called un-common sense. Of course, a lot of people would rather blame someone else then themselves, just how society is.

The only thing I think SC Village could have done better is do a better job of warning people ahead of time how the weather can be. maybe put a link to a weather forecasting site on the confirmation page/registration page. This might turn on the lightbulb for some of the idgits out there. I confirmed how hot it was the moment I rolled my window down to pay dee dee her money.. I also scouted weather channel a good week before the event so already had an idea of the heat factor.

and please quit with the" Ekron side cheated" this and that. I'm sure both sides had plenty of shens all weekend long.Can't tell you how many times I shot UNA players out only to see them play on, half the time never even wiping the 3 hits i laid on them.lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users