17 replies to this topic

#1 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hey guys, so I'm a 16 year old kid that loves photography. As of right now I own a POS Wal-Mart camera, I've tried my best to work with what I've got, but it's just not working.

A sample of a couple attempts (Remember I'm new with a garbage camera.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

So yeah, I'm bad. I would like to find a camera I could buy that would be easy to learn on, decently cheap, but still take nice sharp photos. I aspire to become a nature/sport photographer, as I am an avid hunter and fisherman, along with an avid hockey player and paintball player.

My budget is basically under $800-900 for everything, used is A-OK to me. I'm not a brand whore, so anything works.

Please be gentle on me fellas, I'm just trying to get started.

Thanks a ton, Benny
Bob Long Rapper, Dark SFT Shocker, Ego5, NXT Shocker X 2

"There are only two options regarding commitment; you're either in or you're out. There's no such thing as life in-between."
"Experience is a nice way to say you've had your ass handed to you in a very unpleasant way and you learned something from it." Rob Rubin

#2 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Just asking, isn't the first picture of you?(If I don't have you mixed up with someone else)

Obviously you need a better camera, but this you already know.
Every photographer has his own style on editing and composition.
The baseball picture could have been framed higher getting the players head in and not the grass underneath.

To your camera question:

I recommend a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm VR kit to start with, and then you can upgrade lenses as you go.
I have personally owned a D3100 and I liked it a lot.

The 3100 is around $700 new I think and it's little brother, the D3000 is $500
(Taken from Nikon's site, I don't know if that's with 18-55 or not)

Edited by Nobben #44, 21 September 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#3 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

It's my little brother, wearing my stuff haha. I had it as my Facebook profile picture for awhile, which could be what you're thinking of?

Thanks for the camera advice though, I'll look into it for sure!

"There are only two options regarding commitment; you're either in or you're out. There's no such thing as life in-between."
"Experience is a nice way to say you've had your ass handed to you in a very unpleasant way and you learned something from it." Rob Rubin

#4 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

It's my little brother, wearing my stuff haha. I had it as my Facebook profile picture for awhile, which could be what you're thinking of?

Thanks for the camera advice though, I'll look into it for sure!

Definitively what I was thinking of. Posted Image

And no problem, hit me up if you need any more advice and I'll be happy to help in the best of my ability.

#5 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sure thing sir, I really appreciate it. You said the D3000 was the little brother of the D3100, would there be a massive difference in image quality?

#6 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

I don't really think there is. But I do not have any experience with it, although I've heard it works just fine enough for a starter.

#7 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

Alright, thank you! My search now begins. :P

#8 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

To my knowledge the biggest difference is that the 3100 has video and the 3000 doesn't. And really, especially when looking at just 1 level up from another, difference in cameras is oftentimes negligible, especially where you're just starting out. Put any extra money you have towards a better lens, you'll be glad you did. Good luck. :tup:

#9 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

To my knowledge the biggest difference is that the 3100 has video and the 3000 doesn't. And really, especially when looking at just 1 level up from another, difference in cameras is oftentimes negligible, especially where you're just starting out. Put any extra money you have towards a better lens, you'll be glad you did. Good luck. :tup:

That might be it.

#10 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

Yeah I would appreciate video sometimes too, thanks for the input guys!

#11 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

are you using a dslr, or one of those dslr-like point and shoot cameras?
either way, before you buy a new camera, you could still benefit from working on your framing, settings, etc.
buying a new camera wont do much for you unless you put in the time to properly learn how to use a camera in general.

anyways, if you are on a budget, id recommend going canon personally. photography is all about the lenses, not the bodies.
nikon glass, in general, costs quite a bit more than canon glass, so keep that in mind.

for ~$900 you can get a canon 30D + 70-200 f4L lens. that will take better pics than any entry level camera and kit lens.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#12 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

either way, before you buy a new camera, you could still benefit from working on your framing, settings, etc.
buying a new camera wont do much for you unless you put in the time to properly learn how to use a camera in general.

anyways, if you are on a budget, id recommend going canon personally. photography is all about the lenses, not the bodies.
nikon glass, in general, costs quite a bit more than canon glass, so keep that in mind.

for ~$900 you can get a canon 30D + 70-200 f4L lens. that will take better pics than any entry level camera and kit lens.

Buy Sigma or Tamron lenses, problem solved.

#13 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

I'm using

http://en.ca.sanyo.c...-CameraCorderTM

That. Yeah, that.

So I'm going in with basically no knowledge of camera usage. Hence why I'm dipping my feet into the water, not diving in. I want to learn to use whatever I buy well before I do anything serious.

I realize I'll probably get chirped for this. Haha.

#14 Pakistani

Pakistani

www.AliZaman.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

thats not a bad idea, but the reason ive always been hesitant with sigma/tamron is all of the QC issues i hear about.
every review seems to start with "when they work right, they're great". ive wanted to buy quite a few sigma/tamron lenses before but i never could bring myself to pull the trigger since i didnt want to risk any issues.

but yea, my suggestion would remain the same. picking up a 30D would give you a ton of camera for your money.

KPS Paintball VCU Rams Richmond Rage

If you need help with a Dye gun, PM me!

#15 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:07 AM

thats not a bad idea, but the reason ive always been hesitant with sigma/tamron is all of the QC issues i hear about.
every review seems to start with "when they work right, they're great". ive wanted to buy quite a few sigma/tamron lenses before but i never could bring myself to pull the trigger since i didnt want to risk any issues.

but yea, my suggestion would remain the same. picking up a 30D would give you a ton of camera for your money.

I know people(Hybrid foto if you know them) that use Sigma's and Tamroms and they work amazing, I've even tested the 100-300 f4 and I loved it.( this is with Nikon cameras, I'm not sure with the Canons)

Nikon lesnes are expensive plastic, my 70-300 and my 18-105 feels a little cheap.. Only lens I realy like from Nikon is the 50mm f1.8 and that thing is dirt cheap in itself.
I'm going with either Sigma or Tamron myself in the future.

#16 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

You could probably pick up a used Canon 70-200 F4L for like $500, and that's a REALLY solid lens to start out with.

#17 GhillieSuitPaintball

GhillieSuitPaintball

㊉₣₩GҞ✞Δ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Alright, I'll be eagerly hunting around gents!

#18 Jalen

Jalen

Resident Psychopath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

I'd say look for a used Nikon D40. It's absolutely phenomenal with it's retail price of like $400, and it'd be an even better deal for what they're probably going for now used.

And with that, get the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm (or 55-300mm). They're all you'll ever need until you start needing the extra quality.
I only play paintball so I can tell dirty jokes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users