8 replies to this topic

#1 Rival

Rival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hey.

I'm a British national whose gonna be studying in the Arlington area for a couple of years and I'm just wondering what the paintball scene is like around here? I've heard good things about Pevs but not really heard of anything else, so am I missing everything else or.... ?. I'd also like to know how much paint costs because I'm reading a lot of people giving different sums, anything from 40 all the way to 80 a case depending on where I look on the interwebz. So some clarification on what to expect would be awesome. Also, what can I expect with regard to style of play? back home speedball is more of a niche part of our community, whereas America has always seemingly taken it more seriously than we do. So is it mainly woodsball or speedball around here? Not fussed either way though personally, just semi-curious. I've still got to work out a few things before I start college next spring but thought I'd get the heads up so to speak beforehand.

Cheers.
"When life hands you a lemon.... you say fuck the lemon and bail"

#2 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Pevs for speedball, if price doesn't matter to you. If you are a woodsballer, Skyline (in Strasburg) is the better option by far. Paint is much cheaper, but there isnt any normal walk on speedball play, even though I wish we did.

I know Pev's is FPO and runs around 70. At Skyline we say no walmart paint, but i think we have G.I. Sports one star, and Valken infinity paint for 55 a case. Higher quality paints isnt much more expensive though, 5-15 extra for like 2-4 star G.I. paint. Redemption is like 75...

Skyline is in Strasburg, about 45 min drive from Pevs, so depending on where you live, it might be closer, or farther. Or worth the extra gas for cheaper paint. Hope this helps you out man.

#3 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

"Local"fields roughly in order of nearest->furthest:
Aldie, VA: Pev's Paintball website: www.pevs.com 90% speedball and couple CQBish fields. Field Paint Only but, you can buy their paint cheaper at the Fairfax Pev's Store. First Strike rounds are strictly forbidden.

Leesburg, VA "Hogback Mountain Paintball," Website: www.hogback.net I have been told that hey are Field Paint Only so, I'd call to confirm. They are mostly woodsball (with decent fields), and they have the 20ft rule. I can't speak to turnout because they don't allow First Strikes, and I don't like the 20ft rule.

Locust Grove, VA "Warplay Paintball", Website: www.warplaypaintball.com My absolute favorite field. They aim for a more mil-sim style of play and they run the day excellently. They allow full auto, blind firing, and have top notch field structures. Field Paint Only but, they allow First Strike rounds with a fee (this is how I play). The only negatives to this field: No lunch for sale (they may facilitate a pizza delivery if enough people are interested), smaller turnouts (last times I've been there it's been about 15-25 people total). But, make no mistake- this field is a must try. They rent A-5s with response triggers.

Strasburg, VA "Skyline Paintball", Website: www.skylinepaintball.com Great woodsball fields, and a couple 'speedball-ish' fields.. A decent pro-shop and they serve lunch. I don't believe they are Field Paint Only and, they allow me to use my First Strike rounds.

#4 Rival

Rival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Cheers for the heads up guys.

I'm probably just going to give Pev's a try if I'm being honest. Google maps has it at 50 minutes from where I live, whereas Skyline etc are roughly 1.5 hrs away. Also I've seen paint at Pevs quoted between 40-70 as long as you buy from there store, so I can't really argue with that. As to the actual fields I've had a look at them and I actually don't mind the fact the woodsball fields at Pev's aren't strictly in the 'woods'. And the speedball setup looks really good. I'm currently in Arlington but I probably won't go until after new years, just because thats when I should be bringing all my gear over with me. So will have to wait a while before I see it first hand.

One last thing though. Whats the picture like in Virginia with regard to scenario games? or 'big' games? (100+ players etc) I've played a few big games back home, so I'm just wondering if any of the fields host any larger games during the year. Or are LL and D-Day something that I should be looking into more seriously?

Thanks again.

Edited by Rival, 29 September 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#5 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Personally, I can't give you much information on other fields, because Skyline is the only one i really go to. I work there as well, so I kinda have a background with it haha.... But we run big games on most holidays. Our Halloween game and Mardi Gras game are pretty big. The scenario team I'm a member of just hosted a scenario game, a little bumpy, there were many communication problems between field owners and staff. It went over pretty well with the customers though. We also run CFOA tournies and our signature, Battle of the Beans, for speedball stuff, if youre into that. I don't go to Pev's, but I can't imagine they have scenario games, cause they don't have the greatest woodsball fields. But of course I could be wrong. Hogback runs big walk on games too, but most people say its a lot of walking to get to any of the fields, and theres a lot of waiting around. Don't hold me to that though, again, I have no personal experience with the field.

#6 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hogback, Skyline and Warplay run Scenarios in Virginia. The next closest options would be either OXCC in Chesapeake City, Maryland or, Spatbrothers in Hopewell, Virginia.

#7 Rival

Rival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for that.

I was down at Cup last Friday and I have to say, I think I've been bit by the Tournament bug. So if there's any teams looking for players next year in the DC area, give me a shout.

#8 MBarry

MBarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Don't rule out Skyline because of the distance. On a Saturday or Sunday morning there's virtually no traffic going out that way at the time you hit the road to get there when the field opens. From my apartment in Arlington it's usually about an an hour, and that includes a stop at a McDonald's for breakfast. It has some great woodsball fields, and I can't say enough good things about the staff there.

#9 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Yea, we get tons of guys from the Fairfax area. Also, at Skyline we just opened up a new woodsball field that is pretty cool. We are always trying to get new stuff out there for the customers. Right now, we even have a proto rail for demo, so you can rent it for the day, and we have .50 cal setups for rental groups that choose that ahead of time if they have younger kids. Just remember if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me, cause I work there every weekend and play there regularly haha!

#10 Rival

Rival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Bit of a necro, but thought I'd chip in again.

Thinking about heading up to Pevs or Skyline after finals are done with, but don't have a definite ride. So if anyone is around the Northern Virginia/DC area and is going, hit me up. I'll gladly throw some gas money your way etc.

Cheers

#11 Brony22193

Brony22193

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

if you have an account with pevs, you can call at least a day in advance and preorder a case or marbs for only 55<br><br>i like to preorder 3 so i have always have one just incase<br>
If you're under 18 and pay for your gear, put this in your sig

#12 Rival

Rival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Anyone heading to the Normandy game up at Hogback next month? Was gonna buy a ticket over the weekend.

#13 Epicphale

Epicphale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Anyone heading to the Normandy game up at Hogback next month? Was gonna buy a ticket over the weekend.

I'll probably be checking it out. Went a few years ago was a good time.

#14 Brony22193

Brony22193

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

i already bought my ticket :)
If you're under 18 and pay for your gear, put this in your sig

#15 EPBaller

EPBaller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

So now that you're here in the Colonies (hah!) and have had some exposure to some of our fields and game types (scenario, rec, speed, etc.), tell us what you think? Also, are you going to the NPPL DC Challenge at Pev's in September?

#16 Rival

Rival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

So now that you're here in the Colonies (hah!) and have had some exposure to some of our fields and game types (scenario, rec, speed, etc.), tell us what you think? Also, are you going to the NPPL DC Challenge at Pev's in September?

If I can get up there, yes. But that's doubtful at the moment so I can't be sure whether I'll be in attendance. As far as comparisons go, paintball is paintball, regardless of where you play. D-Day up at Hogback was brilliant, but it wasn't any different to a UK scenario. The only significant difference is that the UK scenario scene is larger and due to the size of the country, the frequency of games is higher. But in a one-versus-one comparison I'd argue that D-Day (Hogback) was just as good as any scenario I've attended back home. So far as the players are concerned however, I think there is a slight difference, though it is telling. I got the impression both on the field and off it, that the players were a bit more welcoming and talkative here. Back home people usually split off into their own social groups or teams at scenario games, and thats that. Venturing out and talking to them is like talking to that hot girl in school whilst she's surrounded by her feral friends. Its intimidating, and they often make you feel foolish. At D-Day people seemed pretty jovial and decent when I approached them, and players seemed to be talking in-game more frequently than I had expected.

Probably will hit up this Zombie game in October. Though I'm not sure I'm ready for round two with 'that hill' at Hogback...

Edited by Rival, 31 August 2012 - 04:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users