• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Juttaro

Juttaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

alright i'm pretty new to this sport i have played once. When i played i got to experience woodsball and speedball. overall i liked speedball better and i'm looking into buy a good setup that i wont have to upgrade for a while and i can play tournys with and wont run me over 300.I'm looking to be able to play tournys by june or so I'm a pretty atlecthis person and i now i'm going to want to play competivly soon. So i found a setup and i want to know what you guys think about this as experinced players. alright so my friend that i have know since elementry school is willing to sell me this setup.

- smart parts epiphany
- egg 2
- a pure energy tank carbon fiber ( i dont no the exact psi but i no it's a carbon fiber)
- I dont know what mask but i'm sure it's fine cause he spent all that money on the other stuff and if no my mom is willing to buy me a mask ill most likly get a provantage
- a jersey
- empire pack
- and prob a few other things

my friend said he only played about 5 times

alright i figure it's a great setup for 300. but i have heard bad things about smartparts gun mainly the vibe and the ion interms of how much you have to upgrade.

so what I figured is i can buy the setup and put the gun on ebay for like 200 and sell it and buy a proto slg brand spanking new. But then i remeberd the egg 2 only feed 17 bps and thats and exact match to the epiphany. I believe the proto slg does 25. So what are your guys opinions and will i have to upgrade the epiphany if i keep it, too play in tournys.

my question basically is should i keep the package with the epiphany or sell the epiphany and buy a proto slg and if i get extra money from selling it should i buy a new hopper too.

#2 Omerta

Omerta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

I'd say that's a good set-up minus the Epiphany.

Look into Dangerous Power, Proto, and if you have some extra money to spend, Planet Eclipse.
Help me become a moderator!

No, my gun doesn't shoot 25 BPS.
No, I don't scream things like "dorito," and "snake."
No, my gun doesn't weigh less than 2 pounds.

But you know what?
One shot. One kill.

#3 rebel492991

rebel492991

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

follow this guide.

#4 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

The gun isn't so great. One thing you'll soon learn is that Smart Parts guns are usually money pits on the amount of upgrades required to make them decent.
The loader isn't bad, but this is where your money should go to if you really want to get a good setup. Your loader is the limiting factor in so many things, and new players often overlook it. I strongly recomment going with an Empire or Halo B as they can be used anywhere including the woods since they don't eat batteries.
The tank may be Carbon Fiber, but tanks need to be tested every 5 years to make sure that they are still usable. This is referred to as hydro testing, and the date is it's hydro date. Ask how old the tank is, if it's 5 years or older, it is unusable until you get it tested, and depending on it's treatment there's no guarentee it will pass making it worthless.
Packs are good, but they shouldn't get you to buy the package just because of the pack
The rest of the things are minor stuff. I wanted to buy my goggles new as that is such an important item and can be very cheap. I suggest the V-Force Profiler as it isn't too expensive and is high quality.
All in all, for 300$ you could do better. Granted you could do worse too.

If money is your primary concern and you don't have access to buying used from people you trust/can meet in person, here's what I'd do:
Smart Parts Vibe (decent out of the box. Note: do NOT upgrade this gun at all. Save up money for a better gun if you think it isn't good enough for you)
Empire Reloader B (fantastic loader, can be found for 63.50 brand new in box which is insanely cheap)
V-Force Profiler Goggles
and whatever NITROGEN/HPA tank you can get. Don't get an anti-siphon CO2 tank unless your field cannot fill HPA/NITRO tanks. (note: this is a very important item)

If that's too expensive, then downgrade the gun. You don't need an electropnuematic gun, and the Piranha GTI can be found brand new for 60$ and it isn't that bad of a beginner gun, and that way when you want to upgrade, you'll have all the higher end parts on top (loader, tank, mask) so you only have to buy a gun, and not the whole schebang all over again.

Remember, the gun comes LAST. First mask, then Hopper, then tank, then pods, THEN gun LAST.

Posted Image

#5 xxDR GIMPSxx

xxDR GIMPSxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

http://paintballgate...etegopag15.html

if you have a little extra to spend do this.

If not I'm agreeing with Lotus.

Images used in signatures are to be less than Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is allowed in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are aloud. No text larger then size 2 is allowed in the signature.

#6 AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

I would recommend a G3 as a starting marker. It is absolutely incredible.

P.S. It will be very hard to get a decent setup for <$300...a tank and hopper alone will run you about $300.

Images used in signatures are to be less than Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is allowed in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are allowed. No text larger then size 2 is allowed in the signature.

#7 stin

stin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Im a beginner also and what im doing is buying everything off actionvillage.com, right now my setup is going to be Proto SLG, Vlocity jr loader, 48/3000 Steel tank..i will prolly upgrade this when i get more money, V-force pro-vantage goggles, and a NxE 3 pod pack holder that comes with tubes for free. The final result for all of this was just 388 bucks. Also the deal on actionvillage.com for the SLG comes with a free set of goggles(probally not the greatest pair,but still they can be used as backups). SO far thats what im going to do, if anyone else has any suggestions on that, please tell me id really appreciate it.

#8 Dillon

Dillon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

Im a beginner also and what im doing is buying everything off actionvillage.com, right now my setup is going to be Proto SLG, Vlocity jr loader, 48/3000 Steel tank..i will prolly upgrade this when i get more money, V-force pro-vantage goggles, and a NxE 3 pod pack holder that comes with tubes for free. The final result for all of this was just 388 bucks. Also the deal on actionvillage.com for the SLG comes with a free set of goggles(probally not the greatest pair,but still they can be used as backups). SO far thats what im going to do, if anyone else has any suggestions on that, please tell me id really appreciate it.

That's a great starter package. It'll do you fine for the time being. Don't listen to people when they tell you to buy $500 markers as your entry-level marker, just go with that one. ^^
My sig was edited / removed because it was not within the rules. Images used in signatures are to be less then Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is aloud in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are aloud. No text larger then size 2 is aloud in the signature.

My image was over 30k, My text was too big, I didn't read the rules but I want to become a mod anyway? :)

#9 rebel492991

rebel492991

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

my guide on this

#10 TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

Please make Rebel492991 a mod, man another great add! On to the topic though definitely look over rebel's guide it is flawless.

#11 rebel492991

rebel492991

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

thanks man.

#12 rader12

rader12

Unknown Killers NorCal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

sounds like a good set up but idk how good the epiphany is....

my neighbor just got an slg and i helped him with it and u would need a new feed neck to fit the egg right, otherwise u could duct tape the shit out of it. you wouldnt need a new hopper cuz u won't have to worry about shooting over 17bps for now.
RENDITION VICE
U
nknown Killers

midway paintball CPS paintball
If you were to walk on water, would it be slippery?

#13 Juttaro

Juttaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

thanks what does 704 mean on a tank?

#14 paintballermason

paintballermason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Wanting a tourney set up for under $300 is really tough to find. Luckily their is a wonderful company called Dangerous Power. ^_^ Get yourself a brand new Fusion 7 for $195 brand spankin new, then buy a used hopper and steely tank. And an eggy 2 or 3 would work fine for most yourneys since your shooting under 15bps.

#15 paintballermason

paintballermason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

And about the Epiphany, I have owned one. Honestly, it shoots amazing, but if you want to play in tourneys, be ready to spend about $100 - $200 in upgrading the board, feedneck, and regulator. You can find used and upgraded Epiphany's online for under $300 though.

#16 Juttaro

Juttaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

And about the Epiphany, I have owned one. Honestly, it shoots amazing, but if you want to play in tourneys, be ready to spend about $100 - $200 in upgrading the board, feedneck, and regulator. You can find used and upgraded Epiphany's online for under $300 though.

so you think it's worth it to buy the package and sell the epiphany and use that money to buy the fusion f7 and keep the eggy 2 ill get with it? wats the bps on the f7?

#17 PaintballNoob123

PaintballNoob123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

like seriosuly the way i look at it... and mike has said this in his videos, the best age to start playing paintball is when you can AFFORD it...sorry to break it to you... but 300 isnt going to get u anything NICE.... for the whole setup like you looking for...might as well save up for something else...or wait until u have a job and can afford paintball equipment in order to truly HAVE FUN and play....

#18 PaintballNoob123

PaintballNoob123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

i know we are supposed to be welcoming new players and what not.... but it doesnt just end when u get ur equipment u must have some source of money because parents well my parents sure as hell dont want to pay for anything having to do with paintball... where i play its at least 80$ everytime u go....40$ to get in and HPA all day, and the cheapest piece of crap box of paint for 40... thats a lot of money for kids tryin to play paintball without their source of money... i dont know about everyone else but no parent wants to add an extra 80 every weekend for PAINTBALL... and thats the CHEAPEST price... obviously if u want better paint...or need more than 1 box its even more....

#19 Ionikpaintball

Ionikpaintball

If You Ain't Getting Shot, Then You Ain't Tryin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

300$ Can get you a nice gun but you already have a pretty nice gun

Keep the set up and save up $ to go play it is expensive Im 14 and i have enough money to play about 1 a month. and i have enough money to spend to upgrad a gun my gun is pretty nice it can outshoot most of the bob longs

Yes its an ion,

ok i dont care what anyone else says

if i were you id keep the epiphany its good for a new player, and maybe get a new hopper like an egg 3 if you want to. but the epiphany is good dont sell it because even though protos shoot faster 1 they are just a little bit less reliable than smartparts, 2 the epiphany has way more upgrade choices than a slg or pmr. 3 i have an ion wich is not as good as an epiphany and i have played against some ego's and bob longs(great guns) and i have won. like many people say and i say its not the gun its the player so keep ur set up its better than mine when i started playing and

try go play a coupple days and if you dont like ur set up thats when you would buy a new gun or sell a gun
Posted Image

#20 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Some of you may not have understood his post.

Look Juttaro, I recommend NOT buying it as just about everything in it is subpar and you money could be better spent elsewhere. Also, unless you're buying a used Smart Parts Ion with all the upgrades already and it's local so you can fire the gun yourself and look it over before buying, stay away. Ions aren't bad with upgrades, but without they're money pits that you can't afford. Really what you should probably do with that low amount of money is buy a mask, a loader, a tank, and a 4 pack of pods and then rent a gun at your local field until you can afford a good gun. That or just buy goggles and rent everything else. You'll have more fun without worrying about what kind of gear you have and just play the game with rented equipment, and you can save up for quality stuff without wasting money on items you're only going to be using for a month or two and then have to re-sell.

Posted Image

#21 Juttaro

Juttaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

Some of you may not have understood his post.

Look Juttaro, I recommend NOT buying it as just about everything in it is subpar and you money could be better spent elsewhere. Also, unless you're buying a used Smart Parts Ion with all the upgrades already and it's local so you can fire the gun yourself and look it over before buying, stay away. Ions aren't bad with upgrades, but without they're money pits that you can't afford. Really what you should probably do with that low amount of money is buy a mask, a loader, a tank, and a 4 pack of pods and then rent a gun at your local field until you can afford a good gun. That or just buy goggles and rent everything else. You'll have more fun without worrying about what kind of gear you have and just play the game with rented equipment, and you can save up for quality stuff without wasting money on items you're only going to be using for a month or two and then have to re-sell.

You really told me the same thing twice. But thank you , you gave me another persepective on things. but do you realize if some one was to do ur method where they buy everything but a gun and rent the gun you would be wasting money on rental stuff that could be spent towards a gun. atleast at my field it's not worth it. a normal admission is 30 rental admission is 50 if i want to just rent the gun i still have to pay 50. in the long run it will be cheaper for me to buy a gun. I have made up my mind anyway.

Im going to buy the package keep everything except the gun sell it and buy a dp fusion f7 for 200 seeing as that gun comes with everything i need out of the box that seems the best to me and everyone says it's a amazing gun. the reason i wont buy a new hopper right away is one i will only be playing on semi-auto 2 is i wont even be able to out shoot my hopper for awhile because I' m beginner.

#22 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:11 PM

I understand that you may think of it as wasting money on a rental gun, but look at the alternative. Lets say you really get into paintball and you decide your 200$ slg isn't good enough for you. Plus, you've always got to consider that paintball may not be right for you. Rather than buying all the requisite gear first and THEN findng out how much you enjoy (or don't enjoy) paintball, you should go ahead and play and then see what you want. Buying gear for something you aren't familiar with isn't exactly a great idea. What I did was borrow my friends old guns that he never uses (wasted money for him) and play with that while I was still a new to the game. Also, you really need to check the hydro date of that carbon fiber HPA tank.

Posted Image

#23 Juttaro

Juttaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:35 AM

I understand that you may think of it as wasting money on a rental gun, but look at the alternative. Lets say you really get into paintball and you decide your 200$ slg isn't good enough for you. Plus, you've always got to consider that paintball may not be right for you. Rather than buying all the requisite gear first and THEN findng out how much you enjoy (or don't enjoy) paintball, you should go ahead and play and then see what you want. Buying gear for something you aren't familiar with isn't exactly a great idea. What I did was borrow my friends old guns that he never uses (wasted money for him) and play with that while I was still a new to the game. Also, you really need to check the hydro date of that carbon fiber HPA tank.

the hydro is 704. also i plan to sell the stuff on ebay if i don't like the sport. the price of the tank new is equal to around half of the package.

#24 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

It's supposed to be a date, so do you mean as in 7/04? If so, that means that there's less than a year left on that tank. You've got 5 years since the original date, and then it has to be tested again. If the date is July of '04, then in July of '09 it becomes unusable until it's re-tested, which it may fail. So basically, you're getting less than 1/5 the use out of that carbon fiber tank.

Posted Image

#25 rambombed

rambombed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

thats not that bad for 300 but i would get a new loader and eventually get a new gun

#26 Brown

Brown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Its a good deal for 300

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users