• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DudeinDump

DudeinDump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys, brand new field in central florida called Gears of War paintball. It's a little ways from orlando, but it shouldn't be a problem if you live on the west side or town.

I'll give it a small review for you guys, this is based on what I saw last Saturday, I don't know if they made any changes cause they were still setting up but here we go.

Introducing gears of war paintball. They just step up over a month ago and everything is brand spanking new. The masks are clean, the gun are maintained and the tanks are fresh from the factory. The bunkers don't even have paint on them yet!

Gearsofwarpaintball.com if your interested!

Facilities: 8/10

They have a very nice set-up. A small trailer in the parking lot with 4 fields a little walk away, a small 'shooting range' is set up (my guess is the chronograph will go there. They kept it inside because nobody had showed up and they didn't want it stolen.) The pits are a few (2 or 3) wooden tables next to a large storage crate. But they'll probably fix that soon. They said they've got stuff in storage they haven't take out yet cause they don't have enough regulars. I can understand that. 3 portapotties if you have to do any business. The small trailer is the place to pay and check in, they offer a few NXe pack for those interested but not much else.

Fields 9/10

These fields are very original and very well built. They have a small 'CQC' field made of ONLY industrial spools (the circular bunkers) the field was like a miniture maze for the people in it. Plus they actually dug this field into a trench so that people could watch from above to get a better view, this field would have some CRAZY 1v1's and 2v2's.

They also have a small 'town' with a field 'houses' and a broken down car in the middle, they split up the town along a 'road' which will make for some crazy fights. I can see people running across the road trying to make it across and getting lit up all the time. This field has CRAZY angles in it. If you get in a good spot, you could cut off the entire map to someone.

This field works as a 2 in 1 field of sorts one game could be played on one side of the road and the other could be played with both sides.

But the best field they have. Is a D-day field this is crazy. Defenders start on a hill over-looking the entire field and the attackers have to constantly bump up to the next bunker. (A cool game mode would be If an attacker touches the sand-bags. Then it's an automatic lose for the defenders.) This place also come with an 'immobile tank' which has a working paintball mini-gun. 2 e-grip tippmanns attached to a moveable board. If an attacker can get to it. (And the placed the tank right infront of the defender's hill.) This guy will lay down some fire. A good idea would be to place 2 pods below the mini-gun every game, that way people can all just get to rip on it.

One cool thing is that The attackers also start in 'boats' green crates that open up at the start. And the entire team has to sprint to cover. While the defenders are shooting at them. Pretty sweet right? Picture it in your mind. The guy also has airball bunkers for 3 mans. But he doesn't want to put them up if nobody is going to be there to use it.

This makes the 3rd field in central florida to offer airball! After paintball world and orange county paintball!

Only problems I have is that EVERYTHING (the fields, the parking lot, everything,) has sand. The fieldowner must have layed it down and built everything on the sand. I guess it's safer but you'll get sand EVERYWHERE by the end of the day. Another thing is that this field has no netting. While the pits are behind a tree and a storage crate. The fields are 100% open. Cars parked too close will be covered in paint. That is this field biggest downfall. It needs to put netting between the parking lot and the fields, the fields are quite a distance from the parking lot. But a stray shot could still wander over there and hit someone.

Prices 6/10

I love BYOP fields. I don't want to pay $60 bucks in paint when I can go to Sports authority and buy $40 dollar paint and just pay $6 as a BYOP fee. But this field is BYOP and their prices are a bit high. They use Nelson Special ops paintballs as field paint (Never heard of them before.) $20 bucks to get in + $60 for a case, is $80 for a day of play. That's a lot, and honestly for that much. I can go to XPX and play over there and that place has 6 fields, and has tons of regulars that play over there. The guys behind the desk mentioned a BYOP day, and I'd go to those for sure. Thank goodness I'm switching to pump though.

Staff 10/10

The people in the front were very helpful and we're always open to talking, most fields I go to, the people behind the counter are less then stellar. (Like when the guy behind the counter at paintball world got BBQ sauce on my credit card, because he was too busy eating chicken and too lazy to wipe it off his hands.) they gave me a few coupons to use at the field if I wanted to come back and I definitely will come back to play!

Conclusion;

Great fields (and airball!), BEST staff I've dealt with so far, and clean facilities. I do give points off for a lack of safety (No netting to block off the parking lot and the fields) but I'm sure they are working on it. They could use a few more chairs and shade in the pits but It's okay, the trailer is air conditioned if I get too hot.

While one could argue that for the price of a day here you could go play for a day at XPX this place is worth a try, it feels a lot more tightly knit and friendly here. Plus it's a new field. They need money to get off the ground! We got to help these people grow by getting the word out! Try and give this field a try!

I give it a 8/10 based on what I saw :D

#2 UgoDadeo

UgoDadeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Nice write up :tup:

#3 GIFTED

GIFTED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

I second that Ugodadeo! Hey Dude... You should come up to our way sometime. We just opened a course Labor Day, could use some players like you around here to support our new field. giftedinbrawl.com check us out.

Edited by GIFTED, 09 November 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#4 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the writeup. I somehow stumbled upon their website but as of yet hadn't heard a thing. No netting and $20 to play with my own gear at a FPO is not going to pry me away from XPX anytime soon. Gears of War does have a few interesting fields though.

If you visit this field with any regularity, I for one would certainly read any updates/progress over there with much eagerness.

Edited by Sydarm, 09 November 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#5 DudeinDump

DudeinDump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, it's not the PERFECT field and honestly I'd probably go to XPX before I go there, I'd give them time to set up seeing how they're new, before I went regularly. They are 4 miles from a school so I picture them getting A LOT of business once word gets out. I'll definitley be on there BYOP days.

Btw. Sydarm we got to go paintball sometime. I've never been to XPX before but I'm going to have enough saved up within 2
weeks to head out to the field, it'd be pretty cool to see you over there! I'll PM you the weekend I'm going.

And Gifted, I checked out your website. If I'm ever up in flagler I'll give your field a try!

#6 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Btw. Sydarm we got to go paintball sometime. I've never been to XPX before but I'm going to have enough saved up within 2
weeks to head out to the field, it'd be pretty cool to see you over there! I'll PM you the weekend I'm going.

Sounds good. I am out there anywhere from 1-3 weekends a month, depending on cash and family obligations.

#7 DudeinDump

DudeinDump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Same here, I go out once a month ALWAYS but I hardly every go twice.

I'll see about going the weekend after thanksgiving, you down for that?

#8 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Same here, I go out once a month ALWAYS but I hardly every go twice.

I'll see about going the weekend after thanksgiving, you down for that?

Unsure, but I expect to be playing next Sat (XPX) unless the weather is very bad. Haven't played in a few weeks.

Edited by Sydarm, 13 November 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#9 Dr3K0

Dr3K0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Me and my friends will be going there this Saturday the10th. Probably we will be a group of 13+, most over 30. For what I saw on the pics it looks interesting specially the urban scenario. There are a lot of angles to shoot and seems to be good to have a technical fight. The Normandy one doesn't to be fair, at least for rentals. I would seat on the top of the hill with a case of paint and mow them down. LOL Its going to be interesting how will playout. Probably offsetting the teams 75-25 will be good. The only thing I don't like is that there is a lot of sand on all the pics. I don't like to be all covered on dirt. :/ I guess I'm too urban.....LOL

I will take some video footage while playing there. Will be fun!

Edited by Dr3K0, 07 December 2011 - 04:47 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users