19 replies to this topic

#1 AtomicAdrian

AtomicAdrian

The thread killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

Since the price drop of the Proto Rail ($250 at ansgear - here) I wonder what all of you think about how it stacks up against the eXTCy.

I feel like the price drop actually gives this gun a fighting chance---although it lacks an on/off ASA, the ultralight frame is quite comfy. Neither of the triggers on these markers are great for semi in my opinion, so they're at a draw there. Internals are nearly identical (I think) so raw performance is a draw. The eXTCy's body kits add a bit of customization, but in my opinion they look a bit tacky. On the other hand, Dye always styles their markers quite well. Boards in both markers are great, regulators are great, and they both come with stainless steel braided hose (which isn't so great, but nonetheless they are equal in that regard). Feednecks are both allen-key clamping feednecks, so they come to a stalemate there as well (although if the feedneck on the Rail is anything like the one on the SLG, the eXTCy might have a slight edge in durability). However, the Rail technically does not have a low force bolt---I'm not sure how much that matters, since the guns operate so similarly, and both guns have great sets of eyes anyway.

Personally though, I'm quite happy with my eXTCy, and I'm keeping it as my main shooter for a long time once I grab the new Violent trigger.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Rail uses the eye pipe system. Neat, I guess.

Edited by AtomicAdrian, 11 December 2011 - 06:26 AM.

I suck at paintball.
R.I.P BORG, ONE OF MY PAINTBALL HEROES.
B/S/T feedback: 11/0/0

#2 paintballmasta

paintballmasta

Junior Member cuz i got 3 stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

The rail is a great buy. I've held it and shot it feels great and shoots great. The extcy also shoots great just doesn't feel great. So whatever your opinion its either Good feel vs. On off ASA IMO i want a marker that feels good in the hands.
Current Setup: Ego 11, Empire Prophecy, Ninja 68/4500

BACKUP LOADERS RULE!

#3 Proto Punk

Proto Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

I've never handled an eXTCy, but I do own a 2011 Rail and I will say I'm impressed.

The gun is a gas guzzler, but it shoots smooth, consistent, and is pretty quite.

Like I said, I can't speak on the eXTCy's behalf, but the Rail wont let you down!

Edited by Proto Punk, 14 December 2011 - 06:08 AM.

#4 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

They're both good markers.

The Rail's failings:
efficiency sucks
Maintenance is harder (have to unscrew cans, take off bolt-tip o-ring, etc)
No on/off ASA
barrel is shorter than what most people prefer

The eXTCy's failings:
the trigger has too much travel and is too stiff
that's it

I would probably pick the eXTCy and find a way to fix the trigger if it were me.

Posted Image

#5 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

I would probably pick the eXTCy and find a way to fix the trigger if it were me.

what I did was take the trigger out, put it in a vice, and use a rotory sanding tool to sand down the part that hits the microswitch. With that, it hits the microswitch later in the pull. I then tweaked the trigger adjustment screws to fine tune it. Now, it's not bad at all for me. But for some, it might be easier to buy the aftermarket trigger rather than do my sanding trick

Edited by TacticlTwinkie, 14 December 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#6 jimbob23929

jimbob23929

Orange Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

I would say the eXTCy. It's more efficient, has an on/off asa, decent stock barrel, and is quite easy to use. The only thing is that I don't like the stock trigger (kinda hard to walk) but that's not too major.
Check out my youtube channel!!!
Current Marker Setup:
Proto Reflex Rail, Invert Halo TOO Loader with Exalt Speedfeed, Ninja Grey Ghost 68/4500 tank with Dye C7 Blue Rhino cover
Current Gear Setup: Orange Tiger i4 with Orange Tiger Headband and ContourROAM Camera, C12 Orange Tiger Jersey and Pants, PE 2012 Overload Padded Jersey
1/0/0
Posted Image

#7 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

I don't dig the rail too much it feels nice but I'll still take an eXTCy over it. The eXTCy is more efficient has an on off, a nicer trigger (yes really), easyer to use board, and has a longer more decent barrel all backed by GoG's fast Cs and also has interchangeable body parts which pretty much will one day become "ultra customizeable"
Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#8 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

I don't dig the rail too much it feels nice but I'll still take an eXTCy over it. The eXTCy is more efficient has an on off, a nicer trigger (yes really), easyer to use board, and has a longer more decent barrel all backed by GoG's fast Cs and also has interchangeable body parts which pretty much will one day become "ultra customizeable"

Yea GoG's customer service is rock solid. They have taken very good care of me any time I have needed them

#9 Roberts

Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Id go with the gog extcy because honestly i own a rail and i dont like it very much, I plan on buying an extcy because my friend has one and its a very good gun. Its definitely a competitor with the g4 and the invert mini. It has an on off asa (mini doesnt) and a great board, the stock barrel is pretty good and the gun is pretty efficient. My friend has had no problems with his extcy!

#10 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Mini necro :dodgy:
Posted Image

#11 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Id go with the gog extcy because honestly i own a rail and i dont like it very much, I plan on buying an extcy because my friend has one and its a very good gun. Its definitely a competitor with the g4 and the invert mini. It has an on off asa (mini doesnt) and a great board, the stock barrel is pretty good and the gun is pretty efficient. My friend has had no problems with his extcy!

Do you guys just dig through old threads?

#12 bpopp72

bpopp72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

anyone know a way to fix the efficency on the rail?

#13 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

Mini necro :dodgy:

Posted Image

#14 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

It might be possible to fit a QEV in there, but I don't know. If possible that's your best option.

Posted Image

#15 Hkarmysnake

Hkarmysnake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

i still like the pro to better isn't gog smart parts anyways

#16 soon2be

soon2be

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I love my eXTCy it shoots smooth and is fairly quiet. AWESOME GUN
My setup: GoG eXTCy,Invert Halo Too loader, Ninja air 68/4500 carbon air tank

#17 jimbob23929

jimbob23929

Orange Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

holy necro!
Check out my youtube channel!!!
Current Marker Setup:
Proto Reflex Rail, Invert Halo TOO Loader with Exalt Speedfeed, Ninja Grey Ghost 68/4500 tank with Dye C7 Blue Rhino cover
Current Gear Setup: Orange Tiger i4 with Orange Tiger Headband and ContourROAM Camera, C12 Orange Tiger Jersey and Pants, PE 2012 Overload Padded Jersey
1/0/0
Posted Image

#18 ch114471

ch114471

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

The 2011 proto rail is the best sub 300$ marker out there. It is extremely smooth shooting and quiet. It can easy handle tournament grade paint, even evil. I own a rail and I have never experienced any problem with it, and you won't unless you do not do proper maintence. It feels great in the hand as well. The GOG just seems like a lower quality gun. Just doesn't feel as good or shoot as good. They are both great guns for the money but the rail defiantly wins.

#19 urockalex

urockalex

Nobody got time fo dat!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

The eXTCy board is also waterproof so if you play tournaments or just play for fun and you are playing in the rain you won't break your board.

#20 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

nice necro. :lol:

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=201416
^
Everything you need to know about the extcy and rail. :P

Edited by crPaliza, 03 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users