#1 sqyire

sqyire

Maine-iac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

http://www.palmbeach...me-2107699.html

PALM SPRINGS Mary Johnson and her husband, Kenny, spent 26 years living peacefully and happily in a one-story, wood-frame home on the outskirts of Palm Springs.

The past three years have been a nightmare.

Since 2008, when Palm Springs approved the construction of a paintball facility bordering their home on Willow Road, the Johnsons have been living with noise and debris from flying paintballs.

"Our house is being plastered, and it's not fair," said Mary Johnson, 57.

Each weekend, Johnson said, she and her husband are subjected to constant noise from the Spent Paintball facility, which regularly hosts paintball games, tournaments and private parties. They also spend a significant amount of time cleaning up paintball damage to their home, cars, pool and plants.

A 10-foot wall, a 10-foot screen and a mesh roof that covers a portion of the north paintball field have not kept the paintballs away, the couple said. The south paintball field no longer is in use.

"I have to get out and clean it immediately," Johnson said of the paintball residue. "If it dries on the cars, it ruins the paint. "

The Johnsons, who fought unsuccessfully to halt construction of the paintball facility more than three years ago, voice their concerns regularly to Palm Springs officials, including Land Development Director Bette Lowe; county code enforcement officials and commission members; the county health department; Spent Paintball owner Mike Ivancevic; and police. The Johnson home is in unincorporated Palm Beach County, while the paintball field is in Palm Springs.

But little has been done other than getting the roof built last year, Johnson said. Ivancevic built the roof himself, she said, and it offers little protection from flying paintballs, which have torn holes in it as well as the screen behind it.

"I have made no progress," Johnson said. "My husband thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree. But this is our dream home that we built here. I really want my peace and quiet back. I want my lifestyle back."

A civil lawsuit might be the Johnsons' only remaining option, but they say they don't have the money to file one.

Ivancevic declined to comment, and Lowe did not return a phone call.

#2 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

The mesh roof over the field doesn't stop the paint? Seems more like vandalism than accidental fire. It takes a good angle of fire to get over a 10 ft wall.

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,945 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

There's a regular wall, a screen wall, and a mesh roof? It's hard to shoot over the screens without a roof, let alone when you're entirely closed in. Plus, from reading some of the comments on that news story, it appears that the couple isn't the most liked in the neighborhood, and it sounds like they complain about everything.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#4 PeanutWing

PeanutWing

Sleepy Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

#5 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

i'd love to see a picture of the area. to see the distance between the mesh wall, their home.
maybe a solution could be made

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#6 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,945 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

It's not so much the people who are complaining that bug me, because they're probably looking form something to complain about. It's the fact that the reporter doesn't even check to see if any of what they claim is possible. For instance, there's a picture on the story with the caption "Protective netting around Spent Paintball's field hasn't worked as well as hoped, as shown by the hole in the netting." Clearly the reporter has never actually seen a paintball game before.

Spoiler

Edited by andrewthewookie, 18 January 2012 - 01:47 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#7 sagestylerpb

sagestylerpb

Colorado Baller

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Double up the nets that border their land.
8/0/0

Are we doing Satan's work? Absolutely

Been scammed? PM a mod :)

#8 misterkyle

misterkyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

c'mon it takes two seconds to clean...stop bitching :dodgy:

#9 brian23

brian23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

I play at Spent. It's all the noobs that want to see what happens (when they shoot over the netting). The (homeowners) need to get over it, or Spent needs to net the top.

Edited by brian23, 18 January 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#10 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

i go to spent its all the noobs that want to see wat happens they need to get over it or spent needs to net the top

I can't even begin to decipher what you just said.
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#11 Rotozip2

Rotozip2

BRO do you even autococker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

i go to spent its all the noobs that want to see wat happens they need to get over it or spent needs to net the top

Neither can I.

Edited by Rotozip2, 18 January 2012 - 02:57 PM.

I never get wipers, blood is hard to wipe off.

Do it with style ~ Total Grief

I like autocockers and autococker accessories.

#12 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,945 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

I play at Spent. It's all the noobs that want to see what happens (when they shoot over the netting). The (homeowners) need to get over it, or Spent needs to net the top.

I'm going to assume that's what you meant. As for your last statement, they already have netting over the top, which leads me to wonder if you do play at spent.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#13 brian23

brian23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm going to assume that's what you meant. As for your last statement, they already have netting over the top, which leads me to wonder if you do play at spent.

they have half of netting on the top the rest is open

#14 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,945 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Ah, I see. From the Google street view, It shows netting over the field. I just assumed it was over the whole field.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 18 January 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#15 brian23

brian23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Ah, I see. From the Google street view, It shows netting over the field, I just assumed it was over the whole field.

ya its only half and if there are holes they dont close them up

#16 tacticool

tacticool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Did anyone notice it said that the paintballs broke her window? As far as i know even a 300fps shot over a wall, arcing too boot, would never have enough force to break a window. I think they need to just accept the point that they have no legal case here what so ever...

TechPB'S Local Parawhore

#17 Kevin

Kevin

King of low-end

• BST Moderator
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

totally.

I am qmto on youtube, i make funny videos because i love you all.
My Feedback 34/0/0
brasseagletechpblogo.gif

GUNS!!! Buy them please!

#18 russc

russc

SMG-68 Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Looking at the google street view, I have to say it was a stupid idea to allow a paintball field to build in a residential area. I'd be pissed about the noise if that were my home, much less paintballs landing on my property. It's a badly planned location.

Reading the comments though, it sounds like they are in an unincorporated area of the county, so there really isn't any oversight or recourse.

Edited by russc, 20 January 2012 - 02:54 PM.

oldschool play is about sportsmanship and respect, oldschool gear is available on Ebay.

YouTube Channel / Raincouver! / Feedback
Posted Image
-Russ

#19 SNAKESNIPER

SNAKESNIPER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

Obviously none of you are homeowners.

If I paid my life savings for my dream home, you can bet I'd be pissed off if paintballs were being shot at it and my cars.

Granted, they do sound like a couple of assholes, but put yourself in their shoes. I realize that's hard to do when you've never seen five figures in your own bank account before....

#20 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

They could always just put up a bit more netting.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#21 Razgriz183

Razgriz183

rAwR!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Obviously none of you are homeowners.

If I paid my life savings for my dream home, you can bet I'd be pissed off if paintballs were being shot at it and my cars.

Granted, they do sound like a couple of assholes, but put yourself in their shoes. I realize that's hard to do when you've never seen five figures in your own bank account before....

^^ agreed, if paint is actually going into their property too isn't that a risk liability? meaning the field is unsafe? would suck if you were mowing your lawn then a paintball hits you out of no where. The field needs to respect their neighbors because when they become a safety liability, you can guarantee they won't last.
my feedback :) 16/0/0
www.zephyrpaintball.com

www.OringMonkey.com

www.santaclarapaintball.com

#22 Dominerva210

Dominerva210

Out of the Way, Jerks.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Our nets on our fields are 18 feet and the land owned around us is either wooded land owned by the elderly who live deep in the woods or a family to the left of our field who never seem to mind and typically their land is untouched because it runs parallel with our fields.

They should at least put in a request for the field to have higher netting, but the location they've chosen for their "dream home" doesn't seem to be the best part of palm springs. She also just seems and sounds like one of those overly anal, overly dramatic elderly women.

Posted Image

"the traccer is all plasticy and feels like an old BE gun when you pump it. yuck!"- cockerpunk May 31, 2011 11:47 am

I wouldn't trust someone who makes an ad like that to fill a cup of water.

#23 pink panda

pink panda

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

lol^
Posted Image

#24 Rob-Juskiewicz-PB

Rob-Juskiewicz-PB

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

or, here's a solution! you could just not build paintball fields in residential areas!
EVERY paintball field around here is in the middle of nowhere (in the indusrial sector - warehouses etc., in "the country") so we dont have these kinds of issues!
Setup - MacDev Cyborg RX, White Virtue Spire, Pure Energy 68/4500

#25 Robinson45

Robinson45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

No. We should build in residential areas, but we should start a paintball community where we live on a compound like some of those nutty religious groups except our religion is paintball...

#26 WasabiBoi

WasabiBoi

★ ❈~Lucky Star~❈★

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

No. We should build in residential areas, but we should start a paintball community where we live on a compound like some of those nutty religious groups except our religion is paintball...

Or we could build indoor paintball facilities.

#27 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

wow a thread in the negative news section that isnt a horribly exadurated story about how some kids got lit up on their first time playing by a bunch of assholes.

#28 zuchaka

zuchaka

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

i am no legal expert buy why can't they take them to small claims court and just say put up more netting ?

#29 MooKids

MooKids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I agree with the homeowner, they built it in a bad location, stuff like this will only hurt the sport. She said they don't have the money to file a lawsuit right now, so they can't do much. Not until one of them actually hits someone, then I think they can quickly get a lawyer to take her case without her having to pay up front.

Also, I looked at the street view, wanted to see if I could see any paintballs in the yard, which I didn't. But it looks like someone did a dick move and put a mask on her mailbox!

#30 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I spent like 10 minutes looking for that mask and I finally found it! Yes putting that there is a dick move.
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#31 Empire91

Empire91

Pump Zen Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I agree that the park is in a sucky place, but now that it is there, making money apparently, they should just put up higher nets to prevent this sort of thing happening. As for the noise.......well sucks for them.

#32 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Surely if someone put that mask there, the homeowners would take it off immediately. They must have put it there themselves, for whatever reason. Oddly enough, where would they come across what appears to be a used mask?

As for the story, they live bordering a commercial area, they get to deal with the noise associated with that. However if paintballs are escaping the property, the owner absolutely MUST address that and prevent it. That is a gigantic liability issue and if this has in fact been going on for a while, the owner is an idiot for not fixing the issue.

BTW the primary way for paint to get over high netting or walls is bouncing off of bunkers, especially air bunkers.

Edited by drg, 02 March 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#33 NoLimitsOnLife

NoLimitsOnLife

Patience is a Virtue, and my board is broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

the homeowners do have a legit case here. while they cant control the noise or the location f the field, they shouldn't have to put up with paintball hitting their property. And the fact that the owner let it get this far shines negativity on the paintball community. imagine that a dog park opened up behind your house, and dogs kept jumping the fence and shitting in your yard. you shouldn't have to put up with that, and neither should they.
Posted Image
Setup: System X NME LE, Dye Rotor, Guerrilla Air 88/4500 Myth G2
MARYLAND BALLERS FTW

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users