10 replies to this topic

#1 Viper Scenarios

Viper Scenarios

International Scenario Productions

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

A journal was found in the jungles outside the city. It was weathered and had blood splattered on it. The name on the journal was Dr. Vincent Campbell and, apparently, he was an anthropologist. He seemed fascinated with once-civilized people who have digressed to becoming savages and cannibals, and had following and observing them.

The following was one of the first entries:

When I arrived at the settlement I began hearing stories about crazed cannibals they called “The Rippers” who inhabited the city. They were said to be savage, unpredictable, and loyal only to themselves. I was told they would conduct raids and steal supplies. Worse than that, they would often take the bodies of anyone they killed in these raids. Attacks on them never were very successful due to their knowledge of the city and surrounding jungle, but those who went on these attacks often found the remains of the bodies they had taken back with them, and these bodies looked like they had been through a butcher shop. This would explain why Rippers are usually described as "blood-splattered."

To add to their mysterious and unnerving mystique is the fact that, whether they have secret tunnels, or they simply have superior knowledge of the jungle, they seem to be able to appear and disappear at will. No one is sure how they do it, but it makes them quite imposing to face in a fight.

I’m fascinated at how humans who were once members of a civilized society could devolve into a primitive tribal society. They seem to emulate the Aztec "Jaguar Warriors.” The jaguar motif was used by them due to the belief that the jaguar represented Tezcatlipoca, god of the night sky, and they were some of the most elite of the Aztec Army. The “Rippers” are also seen wearing Jaguar prints, hides, colors, and even skulls.

The Rippers have also indicated that they are looking for certain items and artifacts that they want to use in rituals that they believe will give them superhuman powers or be able to bring their fallen warriors from the dead. Many of our tactical leaders feel that any alliances they can form with the Rippers, no matter how shaky, will be worth pursuing if it means they may help fight the opposition, and it means that our figheters don't have to distract themselves fighting the opposition and the Rippers at the same time.

I am going to follow these “Rippers” and study them. I feel that there are lessons to be learned that may be invaluable in reestablishing man’s place on this planet.

Posted Image

Edited by Viper Scenarios, 21 January 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
Event Director: Viper Paintball
www.viperpaintball.com

Posted Image

#2 sqyire

sqyire

Maine-iac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Anything in animal print is going down, no questions asked.. lol.

Love the cool background story!

#3 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image

made me think of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q92W_5_DKLc

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#4 Viper Scenarios

Viper Scenarios

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

More info on Aztec Jaguar Warriors
Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
www.viperpaintball.com

Posted Image

#5 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Here kitty kitty kitty. BANG.

#6 -ORaNGe-

-ORaNGe-

No Bullshit Kinda Guy

• Administrators
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'll bribe them with Canadian beer.

[/Enemies]

[Friends]

#7 shutts67

shutts67

Score is Irrevelant.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Joy Division at LLV?

#8 J_DUB

J_DUB

Balls to the Walls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Bad Kity
Posted Image

#9 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

so cool

PLEASE make a requirement for the rippers to wear Leopard Print.
PLEASE.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#10 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Joy Division at LLV?

There Back... :unsure:

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#11 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

So help me, if I see a squad of dudes running around in Leopard print thongs, I'm laying down a cloud of paint at them.

Unless of course Orange succesfully bribes them with Canadian Beer, then I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#12 Viper Scenarios

Viper Scenarios

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

Bumping this for reference and for those who missed it. If I could get it pinned that would be great.
Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
www.viperpaintball.com

Posted Image

#13 IPWNU

IPWNU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Sweet background story ! Hopefully I can go Posted Image
Posted Image

R.I.P. Danijel 'BORG' Jagodic

#14 The Crazy Cow

The Crazy Cow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

[/Enemies]

[Friends]

Yes! bring in the Molson.
Moo.

#15 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I like the story. It's gonna be fun to play out. :)
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#16 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• 13,953 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Bumping this for reference and for those who missed it. If I could get it pinned that would be great.

i gotchu

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#17 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Interesting background story for a scenario event.

I say you buy some leopard print tape and have the rippers taped in that.

Edited by SOUP, 22 March 2012 - 07:27 PM.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#18 jake t

jake t

"Intimidate, Dominate, Celebrate"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

it will be interesting to see how they impact the game... new empire still has this thing locked though

#19 LuckyCanuck85

LuckyCanuck85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

[/Enemies]

[Friends]

LMAO! Always seemed to work for me :D

#20 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

it will be interesting to see how they impact the game... new empire still has this thing locked though

We'll see how confident you are when we have you pinned in your bunkers and begging for your religious deities to save you...;)

#21 HazMat

HazMat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Ya, I've seen the Leopard spot duck tape.

Posted Image

#22 Hesterowns23

Hesterowns23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

These guys tore me up all weekend

#23 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

These guys seemed to be ganging up against the Horde all Saturday, despite our trading for their allegiance. Definitely need to have a better ruleset for next year.

#24 Viper Scenarios

Viper Scenarios

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Trust me...they were giving the New Empire hell as well. But I doubt will will have a third faction next year. With the broad range of players we have at LL we had a lot of inexperienced players who don't really play many scenarios who couldn't wrap their heads around why those players got too do things that the rest of the players weren't allowed to do, even though they were 40 vs 1500. :o

One of the challenges of this event is keeping it interesting and challenging for the advanced players while keeping it "friendly" for the inexperienced ones. CPX actually rented a lot of equipment for this one. That means lots of new and first-time ballers...which is good for the event and for paintball.

I'll always work hard to tweak and tune this event for everyone.to make is as much fun and enjoyablle for everyone. I have appreciated your patience and input over the past five years, and I promise to always listen and always work to improve Living Legends every year.
Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
www.viperpaintball.com

Posted Image

#25 BRH

BRH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

Trust me...they were giving the New Empire hell as well. But I doubt will will have a third faction next year. With the broad range of players we have at LL we had a lot of inexperienced players who don't really play many scenarios who couldn't wrap their heads around why those players got too do things that the rest of the players weren't allowed to do, even though they were 40 vs 1500. :o

One of the challenges of this event is keeping it interesting and challenging for the advanced players while keeping it "friendly" for the inexperienced ones. CPX actually rented a lot of equipment for this one. That means lots of new and first-time ballers...which is good for the event and for paintball.

I'll always work hard to tweak and tune this event for everyone.to make is as much fun and enjoyablle for everyone. I have appreciated your patience and input over the past five years, and I promise to always listen and always work to improve Living Legends every year.

Just want to say that it was a great event and I thank Viper and all the others who worked long and hard to make this event a great one!! Thanks again!!

#26 Weltman

Weltman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'd like to express my gratitude as well. Thanks to all of the criers and complainers who didn't understand the very simple rules who's ignorance had them believing that we were cheating. We had constant insertion from anywhere on the field. We needed only tag up on any tapeline. Pretty cool indeed but our upwards of only 40 players were positioned between two 700 player teams. We expected to be torn apart all weekend and that was okay with us. We can take it.
All these squeaky wheels got the third faction disbanded.
We were going easy on players. We could have been much more aggressive.

#27 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,066 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

In my opinion, however well thought out or planned a third party is, it never works out well for the flow of the game. Doesn't matter what the rules are, or how easy/hard the third party is going on the players, it detracts from the overall team vs team experience in my opinion. When you have to completely ignore the other team to deal with some third party, and lose lots of time because of it, then it detracts from the game as a whole.

From my experience, as well as others, the overall effect was that it took away from the fun of the game, and that's the bottom line here isn't it? Making the game fun.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#28 Weltman

Weltman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

In my opinion, however well thought out or planned a third party is, it never works out well for the flow of the game. Doesn't matter what the rules are, or how easy/hard the third party is going on the players, it detracts from the overall team vs team experience in my opinion. When you have to completely ignore the other team to deal with some third party, and lose lots of time because of it, then it detracts from the game as a whole.

From my experience, as well as others, the overall effect was that it took away from the fun of the game, and that's the bottom line here isn't it? Making the game fun.

My guys love three team games whether they are on an accessory faction or not.
I suggest that you stay away from Hellsurvivors Global Conquest. It has seven teams with their own flagstations/bases. It's been going on for about a decade now.

#29 Soundwave

Soundwave

I win paintball.

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

My guys love three team games whether they are on an accessory faction or not.
I suggest that you stay away from Hellsurvivors Global Conquest. It has seven teams with their own flagstations/bases. It's been going on for about a decade now.

And I suggest you stay away from Dominoes. Their Pizza is horrible, although thousands of people manage to somehow stomach it. It's been going on for about five decades now.

Posted Image

My Moderator Application: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=196721

#30 -ORaNGe-

-ORaNGe-

No Bullshit Kinda Guy

• Administrators
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'd like to express my gratitude as well. Thanks to all of the criers and complainers who didn't understand the very simple rules who's ignorance had them believing that we were cheating. We had constant insertion from anywhere on the field. We needed only tag up on any tapeline. Pretty cool indeed but our upwards of only 40 players were positioned between two 700 player teams. We expected to be torn apart all weekend and that was okay with us. We can take it.

Going easy huh? Like the guy who stated he was working with us and then immediately decided to put over a dozen shots into the back of my co-captain's head from 10 feet away? A lot of what I heard sounded like you guys had quite a few flat out douchebags rolling with them. There is playing a role, being a separate faction with different terms and following a storyline, then there is being an asshole and lighting someone up in the back of the head at close range. I heard more than one instance of nonsense like this, when you're given god mode there really is no need to overshoot within spitting range.

Oh and just because you're hard as fuck :dodgy: because you're steeped in the tradition of playing roles and wearing costumes, or because you can take a shot without a shirt doesn't mean you can come in here and shit on other players. It's YOUR opinion, what makes it gold? Or does your own opinion reinforce itself and overcome that of over one thousand people? Go ahead, bash the vast majority when if you stepped into their playing field you'd quite likely be sent packing with your duct tape tail between your legs.

#31 lonewolfpaintballer

lonewolfpaintballer

The Boss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

^ Same thing happened to me and a friend. One second they were planning a charge with us (New Empire) then the next they shot me in the back!! Posted Image Not cool! If I remember correctly a situation like this occurred at Hells Survivor's Day of the Rangers a few years ago... the mercenaries screwed everything up with their insertion rules and so on. Still an incredible time at LL5 though!!! Great job Viper!

Edited by lonewolfpaintballer, 22 May 2012 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image
Setup: Tippmann Phenom Electro ~ Ninja 68/4500 ~ Rap4 TacTen
My Feedback: +3

#32 Soundwave

Soundwave

I win paintball.

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Going easy huh? Like the guy who stated he was working with us and then immediately decided to put over a dozen shots into the back of my co-captain's head from 10 feet away? A lot of what I heard sounded like you guys had quite a few flat out douchebags rolling with them. There is playing a role, being a separate faction with different terms and following a storyline, then there is being an asshole and lighting someone up in the back of the head at close range. I heard more than one instance of nonsense like this, when you're given god mode there really is no need to overshoot within spitting range.

Oh and just because you're hard as fuck :dodgy: because you're steeped in the tradition of playing roles and wearing costumes, or because you can take a shot without a shirt doesn't mean you can come in here and shit on other players. It's YOUR opinion, what makes it gold? Or does your own opinion reinforce itself and overcome that of over one thousand people? Go ahead, bash the vast majority when if you stepped into their playing field you'd quite likely be sent packing with your duct tape tail between your legs.

And here you go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 IwannaWAFFLE

IwannaWAFFLE

Mad scientist of gun mod ideas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Location:The Island, NYC,NY,United States, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Wait....

Can we dress like this? (i kinda just read the first half of the first page, i may have missed something)

Posted Image

Its too bad i cut my long hair..

Immunity to effect, cause, internet porn.

#34 Soundwave

Soundwave

I win paintball.

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

Edited by justchase, 22 May 2012 - 09:43 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Mudduck

Mudduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Wow. Pretty bitter.
I actually liked the idea. I think with just a little tweaking it could actually be good. It did seem a little jumbled and without direction, and definitely caused mass confusion. But that confusion was the players' fault for not reading the rules thoroughly. Or not paying attention to the orientation.
If there was a little more direction/purpose to a third faction, and a little more understanding from the regular player, then I think it could work well in the future.

U edited, eh??????

That was bitter, but it was also clever. Why u edit?

#36 Grimace

Grimace

more disrespectful than funny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Well that sounds like a dick move, but don't judge the whole on the actions of a few. I was on the rippers playing with a pump and mostly one balling and barrel tagging people all day, I could have gone out with an electro and ripped people to shreds. I'm not on Damage Inc, but I know Weltman and he's a stand up and pretty humble guy that uses some pretty low tech guns or a knife, if he owned anyone it's because he's good. The respawn ability wasn't god mode or a cakewalk as long as the other teams were paying attention. We had to deal with people camping our main entrance and stalking us for up to an hour. Blue team handled it much better overall, both keeping an eye out and working with us. I know that I and the others I was running with honored the two hour alliance with blue, heck it let us get in some straight up frontline fighting. You can flame or whatever, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I've also heard from players on both sides that enjoyed having the 3rd team in the mix.

#37 Ed D

Ed D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

What seemed to be the biggest issue with new and old players alike was the fact that no one read the rules and new what was going on. If people had a question about it, they had time to ask prior to the game as well as possibly asking Viper for more clarification on the role of the rippers.

It was stated that we could pop up anywhere on the field. This meant if we walked out with barrel bags on we were unseen until they were taken off. If more people realizes this, they would have followed us every where and cut us down once the bags were removed.

Now those of you who where shot in the back, this happened to both sides. Once the 4 o'clock drum went off, it was a free for all and all got shot, front back and all over.

I had an enjoyable day Saturday playing as the 3rd faction and we did as we were told to do, screw up both sides as much as possible to keep the game going. I found it hard to understand why some where complaining as we were on them all day when at the most there were maybe 10 rippers together. Sometimes it was only 3, but we had the fear placed into you it seemed.

I'm sorry we screwed up some of your days, but if you had read the scenario rules, you would have known better and could have decided not to play.

I give credit to Viper. If I was putting on the event and had people coming up and saying that the rippers were cheating and it wasn't fair, I would have said deal with it, thats how the game is written. Do you think that if CoD was too hard or unfair, would the programmers change it for you, I think not.

In closing, please read all of the rules thoroughly prior to registering for a game, or ask more question if your confused.

I had fun Saturday, but not nearly as much on Sunday. If you cant agree, walk in my shoes this past weekend....

Ed

#38 aka Mich

aka Mich

Ohana PB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm not gonna call the Rippers cheaters nor was my frustration out of not knowing the rules, the problem for me was that is was spawn anywhere. Simply put it was a bad game play element, no amount of knowledge of the rules or preparing for it changes that and I'm glad Viper decided to get rid of it on Sunday so don't come at us with that condescending "If you had read the rules" bs.

The concept itself is great and if you guys were spawning together from different places on the field that would be perfectly fine, that would have accomplished the intended goal of causing havoc and messing with both teams while not pissing people off and having the appearance of something shady going on. And while the 40 of you may have had fun doing it nothing will piss off the other 2000 players on the field and take away their fun more than getting eliminated by some random third faction from behind while they're trying to make a big push simply because they had the misfortune of being too close to the tape line that you just respawned from. And nobody came to Legends to follow around a group of 10 guys so that they could shoot them as soon as they respawned, to say that is an easy way either team could have handled it is simply ridiculous. It all goes back to it was utilized incorrectly and became a bad game play element, the fact that it was stated in the rules or if people read them or not is completely irrelevant.

Posted Image

#39 yorks6988

yorks6988

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I played with the Rippers this weekend and have played in many games where Damage Inc. was present. They have always been standup guys and I can guarantee if a Damage Inc. player was that close to your co-captain he would never light him up, they would kill him with a knife. That being said, not all the Rippers were Damage Inc. so I cannot speak for the rest of them. I would never condone someone getting lit up, Weltman had it happen to him in the very first fight after he had called himself out- he took over 10 shots to the side of his mask. But if people got upset that a tribe of savage cannibals broke an agreement and betrayed them .......

The red team thought we were targeting them specifically Saturday, but the fact is they were out negotiated. At the start of the game, the blue team had asked for safe passage around Bedlam so as not to upset the Rippers. The red team just went storming through, with so so many getting shot out because they must have forgotten that the rules said we respawn anywhere. How upset would you be if someone took your base? Then, the blue commander traded his relics for a truce from about 1:45 until 4:00 which was incredibly smart. However ask any blue player in Bedlam what happened when the drum started banging precisely at 4:00. That's right they got knifed and killed in a glorious slaughter.

Stepping into the middle of a fire fight is definitely not God mode, like Ed said we were usually in small groups, and almost always came under immediate heavy fire. By the middle of the day the blue team was definitely way more paranoid of us than the red team was. We could not walk through an area without 15 guns trained on us at all times and the word getting shouted about us. There were a few times early on against the red team when I walked down the tape line not trying to hide, took my barrel bag off at the tape line, simply sauntered up the field dressed in Jaguar fur (shin pads, arm bands, skirt, and loincloth - not just a band of tape) and barrel tagged people out. I never shot at anyone from up close and was very appreciative that I myself was barrel tagged rather than lit up when I did this.

That I know of not one of us used the full power of the Rippers, which was the ability to leave the field at any point. This means we could have started a fire fight and simply put our barrel socks back on and walked away but we always stayed in until hit.

Like Weltman said, we were disbanded not because we made the game one sided or hurt it in any way, but because people had not read the rules or listened at orientation. We didn't just show up Friday with our gear and play. A lot of us spent a lot of time before the game making sure we did a credible job portraying a character based on Aztec Jaguar warriors. Yes, we made costumes and Damage Inc. had special knives made up for this event and this extra stuff wasn't free, but it made sure we were instantly recognizable by either side- rather than people having to look for one small strip of arm tape. The cost of material and the time to make this stuff adds up, so to have it cut short because people do not read rules was upsetting. Most of the people who did know the rules enjoyed the extra challenge. There were many people who just walked up to me and said thank you for making the game more interesting and challenging.

#40 navillus

navillus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I feel like the rules were a bit vague on how and where The Rippers could insert. Mine, and many other players understanding were that they could insert anywhere from outside the tapeline, meaning as soon as they crossed the tapeline, they were live. This was apparently not the case. The biggest problem, however, I had the with the rippers was that many of them were either playing on, or not wiping off old hits before reinserting (I certainly wasn't the only one who saw this).
Venomous Ducks Captain

Play with honor, integrity, and for the love of the game.

#41 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Actually
Orange
Pinky
Cocker Addict
justchase
and myself All had a conversation on the drive home about the Rippers.

We like the idea of the Rippers, Actually I think we all thought it would be awesome, However We also concluded that while it was a good idea it was poorly implemented.
The notion of the Rippers being able to turn on you at any givin time puts a scare factor into it, But I think if they are going to turn on you. They should have had to call themselves out, walk to the tapeline, THEN come back in.
Just spinning in a 180 and point blanking DubGeek in the head was a dick move.

Putting a third team in the mix is ALWAYS a hard idea, However I think having the tokens to spend on the rippers helping you out.
Another note: the Rippers or the third faction should NEVER be able to complete objectives. The amount of times that The Blue Team got points for the Rippers inserting 50 feet from our base and blowing it up, (While 20 Horde members are locked into the spawn netting becuase we still have to wait 5 minutes for the gate to open) is pure Bull Shit. and the same goes both ways.

I think the Third faction should have been able to insert from the side and help push the front line UP TO a certain point

IE if Empire spends a token and the Rippers accept to help Empire Take UP TO the Speedball court (pushing through Armageddon and Bedlam But not the Hyper ball field) once the Empire has the Speedball court. the rippers exit and clear the area (As to not just walk up behind the closest Empire player and tell him he's out) Because then the Horde can always just push back in the confusion of the Empire players now dealing with people lighting them up from 20 feet away

So the 3rd Faction LEAVES the area totally (Empire gets the hint that the rippers have done their Job and have now left) then the Rippers Resume as normal in small groups causing a little chaos until the next team spends a token to get the rippers to help push.

Once again, The 3rd Faction cannot complete objectives. meaning Horde cannot spend 2 tokens to get 20 rippers to wait 5 minutes after the blue spawn, inster 40 feet away, blow up a base, Award 50 points to Horde for Empire Base failure. Then walk out and leave. meanwhile 20 Empire players are stuck watching this happen from their spawn point.

Edited by Eskimo, 23 May 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Citrus Connection

#42 Ed D

Ed D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

As far as the reinsertion went, the rippers would put the barrel bag on, go outside of the tape line and wait for a safe time to re-enter the Frey.

Another thing guys, look at it from the rippers point of view. We were told of the rules when the faction was created. Originally it was to be damage only, so 20 versus 1400. Viper added in the Cobra team to assist. Now imagine your excitement as to how you will play as this 3rd faction and how much fun it will be to disrupt the other teams as they make their way through the field. Now imagine that being pulled away and then your team is split and you are folded into the 2 remaining factions. Yes you will be still playing, but not the way you had been anticipating. How would that make you feel?

All I will say on this matter.

It was fun, but as things progress, those that wish to destroy will still continue to do so.

I think I will stick with those I know to play with from now on, because I know we will have a good time without issues like this.

#43 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Honestly what really pissed me off was I was there when we traded items for a supposed Allegiance with the Rippers. We gave them 4 items, but they still shot us in the back like 2 minutes later. That happened again and again, to the point where Sniperwolf just told us to shoot on sight at the Rippers. Not to mention , there was a time where they were walking around on the field with barrel bags on, and then got pissed when I shot them as they were taking them off, and said "they were dead players" and pissed and moaned until I ended up just not bothering and I walked away, then they just shot me in the back.

#44 Weltman

Weltman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

Wow. I must apologize.
My first post was intended to be more snarky and less inflammatory. But at least I know how some of you feel and I appreciate truth even if I find it distasteful.
Some good points were brought up and I would like to touch on them.
1. We originally were limited to 25 players maximum. When the pre-registrations skyrocketed he gave us more. He wanted to make sure that we were strong enough to warrant the other sides to make deals with us.

2. I originally thought that we could only insert from one of the four entrances( the two at Bedlam and the two used by the other teams. As it turns out, we only had to wipe off a hit tag ANY tapeline and we were live. I suggested to Viper that this might be too much power. He reminded me that it was 40 versus 1500. Still later he had to clarify that we could insert anywhere in the middle of the field then pull bag and start.
I understand how the details would be less than crystal even if you read the rules. We had more power than I wanted.
If everyone realized two points; we had constant insertion, we tag in at any tapeline, things would have been smoother. With the second one many mistook us for playing on.

3. Role-playing/ bargaining was lopsided. The Horde gave us 5 props for one mission while the Empire used one at a time except when we had the one and only allegiance with the Empire until 4:00. As with most unholy alliances in paintball games, at the strike of 4:00 all are enemies again. I do NOT make excuses for multiple close range shots and I am confident it wasn't my team responsible for many close shots to the noogan. I endured the same 15 minutes into the day but I am unharmed.

4. Poor Conan forgot about our truce and found himself knife killing double digits in Bedlam. We embarrassed him with a -11 count on the knife kill board. He embarrassed me too, I made the deal which makes me look bad. At least no one was hurt.

5. Many players comfort zones don't include having to keep their wits about them and watch their six and be weary of spies. These player will prefer to not have a third faction that can ghost around behind. Player preference and we all have our own.

6. We have some double guns on our team that gives us firepower but they are heavy, unweildy and difficult to aim a race gun is a more efficient choice. This is further tempered because many of us used single action guns at least part of the time. I was told we needed firepower but I will not tell my guys how to play.

7. I thought that the horde figured things out by the end of the day Saturday. We spent 40 minutes trying to complete a mission then finally gave up. All the play was stand up. No one complained to us. We were shot only once or twice at a time. Brief words exchanged were congenial. The referee told our bomber that the hospital was the HQ and he destroyed the wrong structure. Later, one of the added Rippers blew the base with his foot "all dead".

8. Within the first 15 minutes of the game one of the Devil Dogs tried to fight Conan. Not very bright. He could have and perhaps should have been thrown out for the rest of the game. It may have been all bluster; "hold me back".
Moments later I take a string of about fifteen shots to the side of my head from about seven feet. I was three feet from the referee who missed him as he fled. Malicious intent, Certainly. But the joke is on him, because of my Jaguar-pelt head he hit my most armored location. He doesn't know but we have him on camera.

9.I never considered myself a crybaby but I will tell the world if I catch someone transgressing me. If you cheat me I will not be quiet about it. If that defines as crybaby then I can live with it.

These are the occurrences that I can speak for. I can try to answer legitimate questions.
I'm sorry for inciting rage but it has been insightful.

It is, after all, just a game. (scarcely believe I wrote this)

#45 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

That's 65% more bullet, per bullet.

• Root Admin
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

This is not specific to any player, but if you're going to blur the line between "dead player" and "live player" then you don't get any room to complain about getting shot - dead or alive. You're going to get shot as many times as needed to make you leave the field.

Specifically for you weltman, I've seen you play-on after being shot repeatedly. When one break is an elimination it shouldn't require 6+ to get you to stop shooting.

*edit* My hotel roommates had a similar conversation, and we also think the concept of a wildcard team is a good idea in theory, but the way the rippers were done at LL5 was not the way to do it. Having a third team act as a balancer to prevent one side from rolling the field for the entire event would help all players have a better, more enjoyable time. BUT that third faction really shouldn't be a player team, and should be heavily moderated by the event coordinator. They should be a function of the scenario itself, and the people running those positions should be "employees of the game" with the goal of encouraging game play instead of having their own objectives.

Feedback | Everything you need to know about Loctite | I have too many guns to list. Click here to see them.
Posted Image
PrometheanFlame - If I had to pick one of us to survive the rapture/nuclear apocalypse, I'd choose you.

#46 Weltman

Weltman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

This is not specific to any player, but if you're going to blur the line between "dead player" and "live player" then you don't get any room to complain about getting shot - dead or alive. You're going to get shot as many times as needed to make you leave the field.

Specifically for you weltman, I've seen you play-on after being shot repeatedly. When one break is an elimination it shouldn't require 6+ to get you to stop shooting.

I've no memory of this. When and where did this happen?

My guys love to barrel tag. If they have backs they are not inclined to shoot them.

#47 DubGeek13

DubGeek13

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'm the Co-Captain that -oRanGe- was referring to. I read the rules, attending the orientation, and was excited for the 3rd faction. However, after witnessing and being victim of some B.S., I for one, was glad to see it cancelled for Sunday's play.

In one particular push, we had a couple of rippers aligned to fight alongside of us (or so I thought). We were being pushed from the left, so I ducked into the woods to help out a couple of players. Several seconds later, I take 10-12 shots in the back of the head, many of them slipping between my mask and my head, hitting the back of my ear, etc. When I turned around, it was a 'leopard print' player running back into the woods.

I'm fine with getting shot in the back for not watching my six (deserved), but 10-12 ramped in the f*kin' head?!! One or two in the pack wasn't enough? Whoever it was had the advantage... I wasn't going to have time to turn around and return fire.

I've been playing paintball for 20 years and I've never experienced such a disrespect for lack of safety. I left this insertion and had to clean blood from the back of my head and ear. Not cool.

(I haven't reviewed my Contour footage yet, but I hope I have this player on camera. It took all my willpower not to turn around and empty my entire hopper into him.... ugh)
Citrus Connection, proudly sponsored by: TechPB - Animal Paintball Customs - ORingMonkey.com - High Impact Imagery - CPHQ

#48 murph

murph

LL5 Horde XO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

As the Horde XO, the rippers certainly caused us prooblems......BUT THAT WAS THERE JOB. Around 2. 1/2 hours into the game and after the first treaty with the Rippers didnt go as planned and many players seemed to have difficulty with the rippers (insertions anywhere, tagging the tapeline, ect) and many players being confused on what team they were aligned with Sniperwolf and I gave the order to shoot the rippers on sight. We let every player during every insertion that the rippers were the enemy and to shoot them. This would alleviate the stress of always wondering "ARE THEY ARE OUR TEAM?" and the Horde got down to business. The majority of players seem to accept this as a good plan of action, But Sniperwolf and I knew there would be repercussions. If we no longer wanted to work with the rippers....it meant the Empire could potentially use them more, and the simple fact that we declared war on the rippers. That meant all 700 players on the horde we not only hunting the Empire....but also the Rippers. The Horde was dealing with the rippers better as the day went on KNOWING THEY WERE THE ENEMY.. Not bargaining with them throughout the day made it seem like they did not side with us at all.....and really.....that is true. That was a decision made during the game

I had the rippers attack my base more then once........and as Weltman stated we held them back and they left......it was a glorious gunfight and all the player were super stoked when the rippers left. It was such a huge motivation and they were ready to take on more......IT WAS AWESOME. And yes........A lone wolf ripper did take out our base....all part of the game. For all the times (AND THERE WAS ALOT) I had to deal with the rippers I never found the rippers to be unsportsman like. DID THEY PISS ME OFF......YES but that was their job and even though I was frustrated with it we dealt with it.

For the Horde.....On saturday late in the game(5pm or so) we had rippers working for us.....they did a fantastic job......they helped keep us in the game on saturday., it was not one sided.......they did this knowing that there was no way I could take back the order of shoot on sight.

PS........We sent 250 players to the city where the rippers where and the order of taking them out was given if they got in our way......when we hit the city......well lets just say in the way or not they got it from the horde
Posted Image

GUNMEN WRECKING CREW

#49 Eskimo

Eskimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Like most of us said, We are not angry about having a 3rd faction. Many of us think is a REALLY cool idea and can cause a REALLY good scenario story.

However that being said, We still think that it was implemented poorly, which caused ALOT of confusion on all three teams parts. which directly resulted in mistakes and silly decisions.

if anything, this is a great learning process, as long as we all stay civil,

Citrus Connection

#50 Side-Swipe

Side-Swipe

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

I was the guy in purple that got one of the rippers in the back after they walked into bedlam, I thought they were inserted but I didn't notice the barrel sock still on. I then waited they took theres off shot 1 guy in the shoulder with 1 shot and asked him to come with me to a ref to get my mission signed off. As I was walking away with 1 of the Rippers I took a unnecessary shot in the back in the in the tender spot from a remaining Ripper that hurt real nice, I was saying OW ow and wincing and I kept walking away. Then 4 seconds later I took another shot in the back from the same player. I'm not saying it crazy overshooting or anything but it shows precedent of it happening to back up these other stories. And I have this on video btw.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users