• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MaxDuell

MaxDuell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Seriously, where have all the VT paintballers gone? Before I graduated from high school in the early 2000s it seemed like paintball was much more popular. There was an indoor paintball field near Burlington and a fair number of tournaments at Colchester Paintball and the Georgia Family Center. Nowadays, as far as northern VT goes, the only places to play are Colchester or Legacy Paintball across the lake in NY.

I'd love to try to start my own field but it just doesn't seem feasible since I don't own any land. If there's anyone that wants to try, please let me know.

#2 Oakley9

Oakley9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

I work/ed for colchester, The reason is that there arent any places is that there just isnt a demand for it. Paintball not only is expensive to play but to run. I go to school in Northern Virginia, and In one day, either Saturday and or Sunday, more ppl go to a place called pevs, than in probably a little more than 2 weekends worth at colchester. For pevs, this is enough revenue to have up to date fields, new fields, and air ball fields ALL the time. At colchester, the main target is large groups, weddings, bachelor parties, national guard, colleges and graduations. At pevs, they have all of that, plus the same amount of ppl there for walk-ons/teams practicing/tournament players. At colchester, ive been there during days where it will be beautiful out and there will only be 5 walkons. I can say that there are only like 30 ppl interested in playing tournies in the area, and more then half cant afford it, or will rather put that money into a filed that has a better tournament set up. there is not a lot of room for profit off of 30 individuals. The other thing that competes with us is our location. During the summer, ppl would rather be doing less expensive "vermont" activities. Boating(huge profit take away from us), hiking, and golf(probably just as expensive but hits a larger market) also take away from our business. and finally, this is my personal opinion as being a vermonter. Kids, high school or young would rather spend their money on weed or alcohol. to each their own, but when i was in school, once ppl got to be like sophomores, they stopped playing, and coincidentally, thats when they started to smoke weed or really party.
George Mason Paintball
Clone VX F/S/T

#3 MaxDuell

MaxDuell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

I see what you're saying here but what makes VT so different from other states? I mean, they go boating, hiking, and golfing in other state don't they? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just so baffled at the situation here.
Maybe if Colchester Paintball spent some money improving the field there would be more customers, that's kind of what it takes to make a business successful. Maybe if they also got rid of that horrendous video on their website! Ugh, I can imagine some kid's parents checking out the website and then making sure he never plays paintball. I mean come on, machine gun noises coming from an Angel? And then the guy falls down like he's dead? Bad form in my opinion.

I also played on one of the fields they no longer use because they were, umm... "trying to start a frisbee golf course a few years ago." WTF? I don't see why they just stop using perfectly good space they're paying money to utilize. I don't want to trash talk the Colchester PB guys because I think they're awesome and I'd be completely S.O.L. if not for them, but it really just boils down to laziness. I should add, the two games I played on the "decommissioned" field were probably the best two of the whole day. Next time I go I'm going to volunteer to help refurbish that field if they'll allow it.

At any rate, I think there needs to be a year-round indoor paintball place closer to the Burlington area in order for paintball to gain any real following, but I'm sure it would be a long and hard and expensive road to getting one started; but I know I would try without hesitation if I had the money.

Also, I definitely relate to what you said about people getting out of paintball right around the time they start getting into the party scene. But I see that as an angle that could be used to market paintball to the 16-20+ year old demographic.

Overall, Colchester Paintball is a decent place to play and there have been a good number of folks playing this spring, so I can't really complain that much, and in the end I know paintball is losing its following everywhere being such an expensive sport but it just saddens me to see paintball disappearing so much in VT. Which is why I'm dropping close to $1200 to travel and play at Living Legends 5.

Okay, I'll stop ranting now.

#4 Tygur

Tygur

Paintballing Trekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

New Field opening!!!

Tygur Scenario Productions

Team Captain DOGS OF WAR
XSV Fan Club #33

R.I.P Borg. You live on in our memories. We are Borg.

#5 Oakley9

Oakley9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

I see what you're saying here but what makes VT so different from other states? I mean, they go boating, hiking, and golfing in other state don't they? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just so baffled at the situation here.
Maybe if Colchester Paintball spent some money improving the field there would be more customers, that's kind of what it takes to make a business successful. Maybe if they also got rid of that horrendous video on their website! Ugh, I can imagine some kid's parents checking out the website and then making sure he never plays paintball. I mean come on, machine gun noises coming from an Angel? And then the guy falls down like he's dead? Bad form in my opinion.

I also played on one of the fields they no longer use because they were, umm... "trying to start a frisbee golf course a few years ago." WTF? I don't see why they just stop using perfectly good space they're paying money to utilize. I don't want to trash talk the Colchester PB guys because I think they're awesome and I'd be completely S.O.L. if not for them, but it really just boils down to laziness. I should add, the two games I played on the "decommissioned" field were probably the best two of the whole day. Next time I go I'm going to volunteer to help refurbish that field if they'll allow it.

At any rate, I think there needs to be a year-round indoor paintball place closer to the Burlington area in order for paintball to gain any real following, but I'm sure it would be a long and hard and expensive road to getting one started; but I know I would try without hesitation if I had the money.

Also, I definitely relate to what you said about people getting out of paintball right around the time they start getting into the party scene. But I see that as an angle that could be used to market paintball to the 16-20+ year old demographic.

Overall, Colchester Paintball is a decent place to play and there have been a good number of folks playing this spring, so I can't really complain that much, and in the end I know paintball is losing its following everywhere being such an expensive sport but it just saddens me to see paintball disappearing so much in VT. Which is why I'm dropping close to $1200 to travel and play at Living Legends 5.

Okay, I'll stop ranting now.

Money is also a HUGE factor and that is what makes it different from other states. The cost of living in Vt is ridiculous. I am not the owner, but I do know he is in it as a business not necessarily for the players. He is a business man but yes he used to play paintball competitively. He has some great reasons as to why colchester is the way it is and i dont think hes wrong at all. Its just the way it is. He makes great money and keeps his costs down by doing what he does. now ofcourse he could raise his cost (which he has done in the past) but it didnt reflect in a greater profit. by costs i mean him running tournies and buying bunkers not prices. the fact of the matter is there arent a lot of tournament players, if there was a demand there would be a supply. Adam needs at least 10 teams to consider a tourney. The population up there just isnt interested in paintball. Adam is not trying to build up the sport, he is trying to run a business. This is all outside opinions not the owners. so dont be going to the field and bitchin him out for my opinion on what he does ha. He's a great guy and if you do have questions or concerns, talk to him. Keep in mind he's a business man first, trying to make money not lose money.
George Mason Paintball
Clone VX F/S/T

#6 Oakley9

Oakley9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

also in regards to the indoor field in Btown. I agree that would be awesome. think of the demographic. VT is filled with a lot of hicks who hunt. They like to be out in the woods and play milsim/woodsball. there was an indoor place in williston and it closed down very quickly. Plus a building like that is expensive. Also the owner apparently was an idiot but he went under very quickly
George Mason Paintball
Clone VX F/S/T

#7 Matrix

Matrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

The fields were recently prepped and mowed. looks supreme

#8 Oakley9

Oakley9

• Members