#1 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

hey,
so as a little fun project i was thinking about building a computer. only thing is i cant buy it all at once. so, i was thinking about buying it piece by piece, till i have a full computer.
so to start out i was thinking about pre ordering this case.
then is was going to get either this CPU or this motherboard
then this ram
then this psu
then this cooler along with this wifi card and this dvd drive
then i am thinking about getting this video card
in the end it turns out to be $1175.02 shipped to my house. I used some newegg price matching to get the 2500 for $214, the mobo for $189 and the ram for $47.

what do you think?
if thats to hard to read or if you want a faster way to look (tl;dr) heres another list for you
Shinobi XL case by Bitfenix
intel 2500k for $229.99
ASUS Maximum Gene-z/ gen 3 z68 motherboard for $189
Corsair vengence 8 gb two dimms for $47
modular XFX 750w psu
coolit systems eco CPU water cooler
D-Link Xtreme n Desktop adapter
ASUS 24x Internal super multi DVD with lightscribe
XFX Radeon Hd 6870 900MHz
so what is you oppinion on what im thinking about getting. remember, im not getting it all at once, so what do you think would be the best order to buy? also, if you have seen the products thats listed for cheaper, please say so and i can pricematch about everything. if you recomend something can you see if its on www.newegg.ca or www.ncix.ca ?
thanks guys!
edit: changed video card from EVGA GTX 560 fermi 850 MHz 1024 MB superclocked to a XFX Radeon Hd 6870 900MHz because one, its cheaper, and two it is a bit faster, (and i like the look of it :) ).
EDIT 2.0: dropped i5-2500 for $214 to a intel 2500k for $229.99

Edited by Blade of grass, 12 February 2012 - 01:44 PM.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#2 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

I would suggest buying everything at once, its better because not only will you not have random parts floating about but you can't do anything until you have everything together.

Also, since youre doing the 2500 go with 2500k, you will be able to overclock the cpu which will help you.

Do you need wireless on your pc? most if not all pcs use ethernet cords to connect to the internet, personally i dont see a reason to have a wireless card.

etek.jpg

#3 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I would suggest buying everything at once, its better because not only will you not have random parts floating about but you can't do anything until you have everything together.

Also, since youre doing the 2500 go with 2500k, you will be able to overclock the cpu which will help you.

Do you need wireless on your pc? most if not all pcs use ethernet cords to connect to the internet, personally i dont see a reason to have a wireless card.

my router is on my first floor, and the pc would be in my bedroom, so its either wifi or powerline.....
also i was thinking about getting the 2500k, especially now that the video card is 50 cheaper....

48fhih.png

#4 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

my router is on my first floor, and the pc would be in my bedroom, so its either wifi or powerline.....
also i was thinking about getting the 2500k, especially now that the video card is 50 cheaper....

you can always run a cord through the wall, i would talk to your father about that though.

Defiantly get the 2500k, you will like it alot better with an extra 1ghz

etek.jpg

#5 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

you can always run a cord through the wall, i would talk to your father about that though.

Defiantly get the 2500k, you will like it alot better with an extra 1ghz

good point, but my house is 100 years old soooooooooooo.
and i could even oc the 2500k cause i have the upgraded cooler..... hmmmmm

48fhih.png

#6 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Looks like some good choices, but holy triple thread post batman!

I love you.

#7 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Looks like some good choices, but holy triple thread post batman!

i know, i reported them all, i have no idea what happened lol

48fhih.png

#8 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I would have gotten Lian Li if you wanted an all metal case. But other than that, I'd say it's pretty solid.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#9 larryjerry1

larryjerry1

Ich bin ein Grazi.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

You'll almost always find better prices on Newegg than other retailers, and even if you don't, you should always compare first. I know you can find RAM and the 2500k for a lower price on Newegg than what you have up there, even if it's only $10 cheaper.

Because that's what we had when I was a kid
Dirt.
And the internet, but dirt was cheaper.

#10 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

You'll almost always find better prices on Newegg than other retailers, and even if you don't, you should always compare first. I know you can find RAM and the 2500k for a lower price on Newegg than what you have up there, even if it's only $10 cheaper.

I didn't want to take the time to look for everything. :P

this is a good point though, make sure you look EVERYWHERE. A lot of places have sales going on, check them all to get the lowest price.

etek.jpg

#11 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

everything looks good to me, or like its been covered already, The only issue i see is the cooler you chose, Water cooling is great but i wouldn't get a prebuilt loop for only your cpu. i would suggest putting one together yourself. it may take a little more research and cash, but you can get a much better cooling loop that can encompass your northbridge, and have room to expand to your gpu(s), your ram and if you want even your hard drive. not to mention its much more satisfying making your own loop.
Posted Image
Ion Owners Group #1 ETEK OWNERS GROUP #17

#12 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

everything looks good to me, or like its been covered already, The only issue i see is the cooler you chose, Water cooling is great but i wouldn't get a prebuilt loop for only your cpu. i would suggest putting one together yourself. it may take a little more research and cash, but you can get a much better cooling loop that can encompass your northbridge, and have room to expand to your gpu(s), your ram and if you want even your hard drive. not to mention its much more satisfying making your own loop.

I was thinking about it, but I don't think I could afford it.

New question! Can I use the same ssd and version of windows from my laptop? As in, of I build this computer, take out the ssd, and put it in the desktop, will it work?

48fhih.png

#13 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

I was thinking about it, but I don't think I could afford it.

New question! Can I use the same ssd and version of windows from my laptop? As in, of I build this computer, take out the ssd, and put it in the desktop, will it work?

as long as your computer can hold the 2.5" drive and has the proper psu and sata connections it would work.

etek.jpg

#14 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

So, i wouldn't need a to buy windows again?

48fhih.png

#15 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Dunno, i would assume yes but i don't have a definite answer.  Ive never come across that.

etek.jpg

#16 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Dunno, i would assume yes but i don't have a definite answer.  Ive never come across that.

hmmmm

anyways, i way thinking that ncix has some mail in rebates for the video card and psu..... its $50 off, im wondering if maybe i should buy that now.....

48fhih.png

#17 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

check the mail in rebate and see if its a card they send you or if its $50 towards your next purchase.

etek.jpg

#18 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

it says that they are manufacteurs mail in rebates, and it takes the money off the price so idk. here is the example

48fhih.png

#19 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

thinking about maybe dropping the cooler so would be around $70 less exensive.......

Edited by Blade of grass, 07 February 2012 - 05:32 PM.

48fhih.png

#20 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

thinking about maybe dropping the cooler so would be around $70 less exensive.......

What, the water cooling system? If you're gonna overclock, water cooling is always a good idea.

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#21 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

What, the water cooling system? If you're gonna overclock, water cooling is always a good idea.

Yeah the water cooling system. I think that if I want to water cool I should make my own set/build of one. But that's like 200-300$ so..... That maybe something for another time.
Anyways, I'm still debating wether I should do this or just hoard my money and use my awesome laptop which I bought 3-4 months ago.

48fhih.png

#22 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Which case do you think;
Cooler master HAF X
Or
Betfenix Shinobi XL

48fhih.png

#23 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I'm partial to Cooler Master cases because they have excellent air flow. Not so sure about Betfenix though.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users