• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 largen encharge

largen encharge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

ok I'm thinking of building or buying the parts and having a computer built. I will not be doing much gaming, but there might be a time where i would like to do that. mostly i will be on various forums and be playing some web client based games.

my main concerns:
speed, obviously i want this to be fast and stay fast
reliability, my computer now has had multiple hard disk problems etc. I want this to be dependable

also i don't care about having very good graphics cards or anything.

I'm sorry to those more educated with computers if i sound ignorant in this post, I am not the most technical person when it comes to computers

what I'm asking is what specs for the different parts would fit my requirements on a budget of $500 to maybe $1000

if you have specific brand and part specification please feel free to add those along with other suggested specs for various parts
unload kevin unload! unload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! b/s/t feedback!

#2 aresfiend

aresfiend

Noob Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

For it to be fast and stay fast you not only have to maintain the hardware but you also NEED to carefully monitor your system for viruses and random bloatware.

I believe an APU would fit this situation perfectly, you don't really need too much memory from what I can gather, and graphics are integrated into the APU.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Harddrive (I have one specifically for recording in FRAPS)
Case
PSU
CD/DVD Burner (I have two of these in my PC)
Operating System

All for a total of $465

Now the one thing I cannot stress enough is that you cannot touch the pins on the bottom of the processor if you're not properly grounded because you will short it out.

#3 largen encharge

largen encharge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

how long would guess that setup to last? Also I have a lot of music so would the hard drive be able to handle that plus some programs

also if i was to spend more maybe up to $150 how much better of a processor can i get?

Edited by largen encharge, 14 February 2012 - 06:51 AM.

unload kevin unload! unload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! b/s/t feedback!

#4 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Fir an extra 150$ on the processor? You could get an i5 2500k.
Would it be possible to get that and keep around the same price. Ah, no.
Then you'd need a new video card, and a new mobo.
If you want cheap, good performance/power, go with the APU.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#5 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

I can't find it now but seagate is the best HD to use on windows 7. Ill get the picture later.

Also, I would personally buy an i3 cpu with socket lga1155 so if you wanted to upgrade to a quad core later on and use the i7 or i5 processor you can and you dont have to buy a different motherboard.

And just because of the person I am, I would suggest getting a basic GPU.

etek.jpg

#6 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Seagate drives have an unusually high failure rate.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#7 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Seagate drives have an unusually high failure rate.

haha thats weird. I was chatting with someone and hes had the same one for over 10 years. Not to mention his new 1.5tb has had nothing wrong with it.

etek.jpg

#8 aresfiend

aresfiend

Noob Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I can't find it now but seagate is the best HD to use on windows 7

Oh god no. With a recorded 56% DOA rate he just shouldn't fuck with seagate.

#9 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I can't find it now but seagate is the best HD to use on windows 7

Oh god no. With a recorded 56% DOA rate he just shouldn't fuck with seagate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol
xfire-stix9693
Steam - slygathore
Posted Image

#10 aresfiend

aresfiend

Noob Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

also if i was to spend more maybe up to $150 how much better of a processor can i get?

Bang

And you'll need a heatsink (and stix, before you say "ball bearing!" there is a somewhat dense layer of liquid in there :) )

#11 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Bang

And you'll need a heatsink (and stix, before you say "ball bearing!" there is a somewhat dense layer of liquid in there :) )

I wasn't going to say shit. lol. Though that's a really excellent cooler, especially at that price. Posted Image
xfire-stix9693
Steam - slygathore
Posted Image

#12 ExtremeFacepainter

ExtremeFacepainter

Das Boot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

WD HDD'S are one of the better ones. Also look at Samsungs and Intel SSD'S. I currently am typing this on my self built computer. Core2 Quad Q9550 on an ASUS P5q3 Deluxe MOtherboard.
Dont be afraid to look into Core2's. Sure they may be a little old but those were the BEST cpu's on the market like 2 years ago. I can get bout 3.2ghz outta mine when i barely overclock it.

#13 aresfiend

aresfiend

Noob Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

WD HDD'S are one of the better ones. Also look at Samsungs and Intel SSD'S. I currently am typing this on my self built computer. Core2 Quad Q9550 on an ASUS P5q3 Deluxe MOtherboard.
Dont be afraid to look into Core2's. Sure they may be a little old but those were the BEST cpu's on the market like 2 years ago. I can get bout 3.2ghz outta mine when i barely overclock it.

Samsung's HDD sect. was bought out by Seagate and now are manufacturing Seagates under the Samsung name. As for SSDs they are still pretty shitty to have for the price. Why pay $2000 for 1tb when you could dole out $120 ($45 before flooding) to WD for a 1tb?

He is also needing somewhat minimal graphics, hence the APU which is practically a Phenom with a Radeon 6000 series built in. The Core 2 architecture is also very dated at this point and still overpriced, plus if he's building for the first time I think it's better to stick to new parts instead of refurbished/used ones.

#14 TallThing

TallThing

Left Blank Unintentionally...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Samsung's HDD sect. was bought out by Seagate and now are manufacturing Seagates under the Samsung name. As for SSDs they are still pretty shitty to have for the price. Why pay $2000 for 1tb when you could dole out $120 ($45 before flooding) to WD for a 1tb?

He is also needing somewhat minimal graphics, hence the APU which is practically a Phenom with a Radeon 6000 series built in. The Core 2 architecture is also very dated at this point and still overpriced, plus if he's building for the first time I think it's better to stick to new parts instead of refurbished/used ones.

Yes, but he can still put his OS and all the important programs on the SSD, and leave the rest on the HDD. He did ask for speed, reliability, and durability. So, having an SSD is a great choice. That's just my two cents. (Oh, yeah, give me the other cent too, not just a penny.)

Edited by TallThing, 15 February 2012 - 06:27 PM.

If life gives you melons... you may be dyslexic.

#15 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yes, but he can still put his OS and all the important programs on the SSD, and leave the rest on the HDD. He did ask for speed, reliability, and durability. So, having an SSD is a great choice. That's just my two cents. (Oh, yeah, give me the other cent too, not just a penny.)

only problem, he said max $1000, so a 120Gb SSD costs around $200, plus for a 1 Tb HDD thats another $150, plus OS minimum $100. that is an extra $350 to spend. or he could get a Caviar black for $170. caviar black is basicly the highest end HDD before you get into hybrids and oither stuff

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#16 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

only problem, he said max $1000, so a 120Gb SSD costs around $200, plus for a 1 Tb HDD thats another $150, plus OS minimum $100. that is an extra $350 to spend. or he could get a Caviar black for $170. caviar black is basicly the highest end HDD before you get into hybrids and oither stuff

Man makes a valid point. Plus SSD's just aren't cost effective enough anyway. (yet)

Edited by Stix, 15 February 2012 - 09:27 PM.

xfire-stix9693
Steam - slygathore
Posted Image

#17 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

caviar black is basicly the highest end HDD before you get into hybrids and oither stuff

Unless you want to count the overpriced VelociRaptor drives. But that is just semantics..

To the OP: If you are just playing web client games and writing book reports, go to Best Buy and grab something off the shelf. Chances are, it will handle whatever you want to do just fine.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#18 That Rich Paintballer

That Rich Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

For it to be fast and stay fast you not only have to maintain the hardware but you also NEED to carefully monitor your system for viruses and random bloatware.

I believe an APU would fit this situation perfectly, you don't really need too much memory from what I can gather, and graphics are integrated into the APU.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Case
PSU
Operating System

All for a total of $465

Now the one thing I cannot stress enough is that you cannot touch the pins on the bottom of the processor if you're not properly grounded because you will short it out.

If you truly want a fast computer I highly suggest getting 4 GB of RAM, its only like $30 more on newegg and it makes all the difference. Also, a good mobo is needed, because if you want it to stay fast, you gotta have a strong backbone

#19 That Rich Paintballer

That Rich Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Case
PSU
Operating System

All for a total of $465

If you truly want a fast computer I highly suggest getting 4 GB of RAM, its only like $30 more on newegg and it makes all the difference. Also, a good mobo is needed, because if you want it to stay fast, you gotta have a strong backbone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users