3 replies to this topic

#1 aresfiend

aresfiend

Noob Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

So I know that you can software Crossfire onboard graphics and a GPU assuming that they are the same architecture but 1) can you software SLI? and 2) would software SLI/Crossfire work with any card or just card to onboard?

For example, running 2 low profile GTX 520s via software SLI without a "true" SLI compatible motherboard?

The reason I ask is because I can get a couple of cheap PCIe 1x cards that are either Zotac GTX520s or HIS Radeon HD 5450s for uber cheap from a semi-local store and then I could throw those into a second cheap computer just so that my bro will have a PC to use for a while.

#2 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

So I know that you can software Crossfire onboard graphics and a GPU assuming that they are the same architecture but 1) can you software SLI? and 2) would software SLI/Crossfire work with any card or just card to onboard?

For example, running 2 low profile GTX 520s via software SLI without a "true" SLI compatible motherboard?

The reason I ask is because I can get a couple of cheap PCIe 1x cards that are either Zotac GTX520s or HIS Radeon HD 5450s for uber cheap from a semi-local store and then I could throw those into a second cheap computer just so that my bro will have a PC to use for a while.

why not just buy a $100 graphics card? here is a link, you could of also just googled can you SLI with a non SLI mobo

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#3 aresfiend

aresfiend

Noob Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

EDIT: I went a little far on this one so I'm redoing it.

1) While I would go with a better card you need to realize that my PCIe slot on the motherboard only physically has the rearmost 1/4 pins (Near the back of the case) resulting in a 4x bandwidth

2) I can get BOTH cards for a combined total of $50 instead of $60 each on newegg. So while a $100 card > is greater than two $60 cards on a regular basis, I would only get 1/4 of the performance out of the $100 card because it wasn't designed to work on 1/4 the bandwidth whereas the other cards were designed to work optimally at 1/16th the bandwidth.

Edited by aresfiend, 16 February 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#4 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Oh, ok, I didn't fully understand what you were saying, I hope that article helps.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users