25 replies to this topic

#1 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Just wondering...are CP barrels made in the US?
I just got a catalog from a Hong Kong paintball manufacturer that claims to produce them (and several other brands I as well), and actually lists the barrels as "their product".

#2 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,110 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

i thought they were, at least most of CPs other stuff is. CP is a general machine shop to my knowledge, probably government and defense contracts mostly, with Travis and a couple other folks who play paintball. obvious leap from general machining of aluminum to paintball custom parts parts manufacture.

but that could have changed, hard to beat the profit margins you can pull importing from tiawan or china. and i was wondering how much profit they really could be making at 30 bucks a pop.

idk ... call them and see?
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#3 Av4Lon

Av4Lon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

Just wondering...are CP barrels made in the US?
I just got a catalog from a Hong Kong paintball manufacturer that claims to produce them (and several other brands I as well), and actually lists the barrels as "their product".

Possible,there are a lot of things that are made there(and in Taiwan).....look at Airsoft guns or even some markers(like the hostile Rogue+)

#4 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

From what I remember CP was mostly in ATV and specialized car parts before they hit paintball.

I know that 4 or so years ago they did a lot of machining in house. I had conversations with them about introducing the .679 bore size - and they had to buy new tooling to make them.

#5 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hmmm, I guess they could be knock-offs...They also show Dye, Proto, Lapco, PE and a few others.
Screenshot of catalog "CP barrels"

#6 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

everyone else is outsourcing - maybe CP did to keep up with prices?

#7 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

dye, proto and PE all make sense to me. lapco and CP doesn't though. pretty sure lapco still advertizes with "made in the USA"

in fact they say it right here - http://www.lapcopain...n.php?info_id=4
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#8 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

well, and I guess if CP was making stuff in the US it would bementioned on their site.

#9 H all day

H all day

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hmmm, I guess they could be knock-offs...They also show Dye, Proto, Lapco, PE and a few others.
Screenshot of catalog "CP barrels"

Those look like pictures from ansgear
I pay for all my gear...Im 13.If your under 18 and pay for your gear, put this section in your sig
Proud Christian Paintballer!!

#10 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

dye, proto and PE all make sense to me. lapco and CP doesn't though. pretty sure lapco still advertizes with "made in the USA"

in fact they say it right here - http://www.lapcopain...n.php?info_id=4

Yeah, that's what I thought...I think this place is legit, but who knows? I've never dealt with them.
Here's the email I got:

Dear Sir/Madam,
How are you?

I am Rosa from QQ Paintball. Our factory is specialize in producing paintball barrels at aluminum and carbon fiber material.

We can produce different kinds barrels at different bore size,different length and different colour.

We have produced many different brand barrels,such as lapco, CP,DYE and so on. The lightest of our aluminum barrel is 95g.

If you have your own design we also can produce for you with your drawing.

The attachment is our latest catalogue for your reference.

If you have any intesest or necessary please feel free to contact me.

Looking forward your reply.

best regards
sincerely
Rosa

Edited by rntlee, 26 March 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#11 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

broken English ... check

seems cheap enough might be worth trying out ... hahaha

or send them a print, see what they say. i could certainly draw up a print ...

I would not be surprised to find out this shop makes most paintball barrels, then again i would also not be surprised to find out its a scam.

Edited by cockerpunk, 21 February 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#12 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

broken English ... check

seems cheap enough might be worth trying out ... hahaha

or send them a print, see what they say. i could certainly draw up a print ...

I would not be surprised to find out this shop makes most paintball barrels, then again i would also not be surprised to find out its a scam.

Heh, I'm gonna try an wrangle me some "samples" ! Posted Image

#13 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Lapco is definitely made in the USA. Be careful sending your money to a place that already has red flags ...

Edited by drg, 21 February 2012 - 11:49 PM.

Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#14 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Lapco is definitely made in the USA. Be careful sending your money to a place that already has red flags ...

Well, they sent me a Lapco and a Cp barrel "sample"...they look like the real McCoy to me, or a damn good copy!

#15 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Well, they sent me a Lapco and a Cp barrel "sample"...they look like the real McCoy to me, or a damn good copy!

should we/you/someone be in contact with these companies and either get an official response from them, or make them aware copies are being imported?

seems like the next logical step.

#16 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

should we/you/someone be in contact with these companies and either get an official response from them, or make them aware copies are being imported?

seems like the next logical step.

That's probably a good idea, it seems anyone could import these barrels if so inclined...I'll remove their link in my post above.
Here's the barrels they sent me (CP Dynasty Champion barrel kit and an APEX-ready Lapco bigshot...both unbranded):
Posted Image

Edited by rntlee, 26 March 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#17 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

I've already got a request in for official word from LAPCO. I'll post up when I can.

#18 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

rnt ask for a 14" and/or 16" .685 CF barrel sample for me and if they ship it to you ill pay for the shipping if you would send it to me :P

but it seems as if they are a knockoff but you can never have enough barrels especially for reballs ;)

Edited by Demon, 26 March 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#19 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

the anno looks different then typical lapcos. im leaning towards fakes rather then companies lying, but it could go either way.

#20 UV Halo

UV Halo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I've been told by Sergey of LAPCO:

That this is a complete and utter lie.

"We manufacture 100% in house."

Apparently, this behavior has gone on for some time:

Company steals pictures, puts together a spreadsheet of prices and then spams dealers (including LAPCO). Nothing gets manufactured until there is a 'bite'

This appearance of a 'retail site' is something new, and he doesn't like it.

Their official stance is, if it doesn't have the LAPCO logo, it's a fake.

I believe that QQ is producing a 'knockoff' and trying to do it for cheaper. In my opinion, they may be skirting trademark laws by simply not including any markings. They make the product look similar, tell the retailer the lie, and leave it up to the retailer to spread the lie.

Here's a comparison pic of my most recent barrel:
Posted Image

#21 rntlee

rntlee

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Sergey's comments do jive with my own interaction with QQ. When I first responded to them, I was told that they would have no samples to send me until they had another production run. I assume I was sent "culls" from the latest run they did, because although the Lapco copy is well manufactured (it looks identical to a branded Lapco Big Shot) the CP 2-piece barrel has had some rather poor pre-anno prep (some burrs that should have been cleaned up etc).
Also, looking at the QQ catalogue, they list lengths for their Big Shot that aren't available from Lapco.

Funny thing is, I don't even know how they got my email. I'm not a distributor, importer or reseller of paintball equipment.
If I'm getting their catalog, they must be mass mailing it all over.
Lapco will have to keep a keen eye out for fakes as I'm sure they'll start showing up. These guys are producing these for $13 a pop.

Edited by rntlee, 26 March 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#22 hogzilla88

hogzilla88

Something about narwhals...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Related, anyone seen these CF freak barrels? From China, $26 (or less in bulk). Interesting.

#23 spankopotomous=paintball

spankopotomous=paintball

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Related, anyone seen these CF freak barrels? From China, $26 (or less in bulk). Interesting.

i might just have to try one of those. and if it worked, ide buy 10 more Posted Image

SPANKO TO THE RESCUE!!! My Feedback +23/0/0

#24 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

Greenhill I believe is a fairly large-scale manufacturer, I think they make some of the brand-name products we see around the market. As for this other company ... I'm a bit surprised they just mail samples to a private individual. $13-26 for an imported barrel is about right when you think about what that translates to as a US market product, after shipping, duties, marketing, margin, etc. Probably looking at $30-50, which is about what you could sell a cheap Chinese barrel for. Or you could pay a little more and get higher quality, US products.

Barrels are a pretty damn competitive market.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#25 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,110 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

when we were looking at doing punkworks specials, the price point was like 15 bucks a pop. totally believable price point.

#26 UV Halo

UV Halo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sub-Forum related content: The knockoff's may not perform worse than the real thing (provided the interior finishes are good, the threads aren't loose, the barrel is labled correctly: i.e. a .679 labled as .679, etc)

My opinion:
I seriously hope that folks are not considering buying the knockoffs. I'm not opposed to folks buying low cost barrels but, buying knockoffs hurts the original manufacturer's brand when other folks see your barrel, and they get the idea that it's a 'bigshot without the logo' and if your barrel has problems not seen on the actual product (i.e. lower durability anno, out of spec threads, porting that hasn't been deburred, etc), it brings down the brand name.

Also, I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy a LAPCO barrel but, I know LAPCO is not some huge paintball conglomerate trying to rip folks off. They try to bring products to market that have a high level of quality, while keeping all manufacturing in house. They're also getting into the 'custom' barrel business (Desert Edge Barrels, The Tightstick).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users