13 replies to this topic

#1 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

So I need a new computer. Looking to have it built sometime this summer. SinceI built my last one (2008) I stopped following hardware so Idk whats good anymore.

it appears I can salvage my case and HDD. Ram is ddr2 and pretty sure the PSU is a measly 500w so those wont do. I already have an operating system.

I'd like to spend about $850, which needs to include shipping costs. (there is wiggle room but it's only if the extra money means a big boost on performance.

edit: I should probably tell you what I'm going to use it for. I use my laptop for all my storage and music so I'll pretty much use this for my daily browsing and moderate gaming. Highest load I see myself putting on it is Guild Wars 2 which isn't supposed to be super demanding, but I'd like some wiggle room if it fits in the budget.

Edited by `kook, 23 February 2012 - 05:47 PM.

It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#2 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

If you're going to build it before or during the summer, I'd wait until then to price it out. Hard drive prices are falling again, DDR3 RAM is falling extremely fast, and new CPU's and motherboards will be out by then.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#3 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

If you're going to build it before or during the summer, I'd wait until then to price it out. Hard drive prices are falling again, DDR3 RAM is falling extremely fast, and new CPU's and motherboards will be out by then.

That's what a buddy of mine said also
It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#4 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

If you could save up another $150, this is a rocking PC
http://www.techpb.co...pic=181700&st=0
Lol.
But if you can't, you could buy a less expensive mobo (ASUS p67 or a z68)
Get a cheaper cpu, like a 2400 (not that much savings)
Buy a cheaper graphics card like a http://ncix.com/prod...te&promoid=1078

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#5 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

That's what a buddy of mine said also

You have a good friend. No point in having parts sit around your house when you cant use them I say.

etek.jpg

#6 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

When's summer for you guys? I live in Costa Rica and am too lazy to google it out. :P

#7 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Do you need a monitor as well? Obviously, as stated, you should wait. However, when I am planning a new computer, I usually start 3-4 months beforehand. I plan out what I could get for the money now, and then check on prices every two-three weeks. As prices change, I go a step up. That way, you dont do research at the last minute. Lets say that you put together a computer plan for 850. Next month, all that stuff costs 800. Ok, now you have 50 more to put somewhere. Well, for 42 extra, you could get a better processor now. Ok, do that. Next month, all the parts cost 800 again. Alright, now you have an extra 50. Hmm... I could get a better GPU, or some extra RAM.... I think I will bump up the GPU a notch. Etc, etc. You basically make a plan, and then update it as prices drop. Makes things nice and easy once you plan to do the build.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#8 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

This is what I have so far

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072

GPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130610

MoBo: http://www.newegg.co...k=extreme3 gen3

RAM: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145345

PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182032

Anything that isn't listed is something I already have.

Grand total $709

Edited by `kook, 05 March 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#9 tripp

tripp

Proudly Sponsored by ANSGear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

scrap the motherboard you have selected IMO
ive never heard of the brand, and it has an onboard GPU, whihc is just gonna get in your way if you are putting your own card in

EVGA , Asus and MIS are typically who i go with

basically you are looking for a 1155 socket type, 6/gbs transfer speed, and no onboard GPU primarily

My link

My link
both of those are great boards

great ram, good brand Poswer supply(brand is all that matters here) goo processor(but im a AMD guy :) ) and EVGA makes great GPUs lol
Sponsored By: ANSGear, Valken Paintball Southern Maryland Paintball
Posted Image
Bob Long 2k4 alias + freak + halo too

#10 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Good point. Don't go with asrock. MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, are all good mobo companies. I have heard horror story's about asrock.

@Tripp
I'm not completely sure you know what your talking about. Almost all z68 mobos are going to have on board video. Also, z68 is the "standard" for gaming mobos. (not trying to sound rude at all, it's just true). The z68 is the combination of h67 and p67. So the onboard graphics is required for intel quick sync (I think that's what it's called) for better video encoding.

Edited by Blade of grass, 08 March 2012 - 08:35 PM.

48fhih.png

#11 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Good point. Don't go with asrock. MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, are all good mobo companies. I have heard horror story's about asrock.

@Tripp
I'm not completely sure you know what your talking about. Almost all z68 mobos are going to have on board video. Also, z68 is the "standard" for gaming mobos. (not trying to sound rude at all, it's just true). The z68 is the combination of h67 and p67. So the onboard graphics is required for intel quick sync (I think that's what it's called) for better video encoding.

ASRock is Asus' off brand.
And I think Tripp was saying he'll want a motherboard without onboard video. Which for PC Gaming is a good idea.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#12 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

@Tripp

ASRock is Asus' off brand.
And I think Tripp was saying he'll want a motherboard without onboard video. Which for PC Gaming is a good idea.

Never knew that ASRock is ASUSs off brand. I always hear horror stories about thier boards. But never about ASUS

48fhih.png

#13 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

The only reason I picked the ASRock is because a buddy has one and he is running the same processor and a 560ti and it was cheap

I'll probably go with the MSI board just for moneys sake.

I also decided to stretch my budget and get a gtx 570

As of right now it's running $800.95, a price I can live with

Edited by `kook, 08 March 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#14 polishboy1098

polishboy1098

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Instead of the GTX 570 go with the 7850/7870 which ever you could afford. The 7850 is about equivalent to the GTX 570 and you can overclock it like a mofo. Also IIRC the new 6XX'S series of nVidia cards are coming out with ivy bridge on the 29th so you should wait for that. And lastly get an aftermarket heat sink for the i5 2500K, such as the Hyper 212 Evo . Also the new Z77 boards came out today. So look at them here.

Or instead of a Rotor, get a used Pinokio or Prophecy and use the left over money for cool shit, like taquitos and hookers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users