• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Danoth

Danoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I am looking to get a new woodsball setup. I am a very casual player and so are the few people I play with so no matter what I get I won't be outperformed so budget is the biggest holdup.. My old gun was a spyder 2000 and I am just looking for something equally dependable. Suggestions? Preferably comes in a package with mask/tank at least.

#2 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Craigslist... Don't know about your area, but around here, you can get Tippmann A-5's with mask, and tanks all day long for $150. (I see them often for $100). That is the gun I started with, and I STILL use it to this day. (playing tomorrow in fact in the snow!)

#3 Danoth

Danoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Unfortunately everyone around here seems to think that their A5 is worth full retail after use. Any other gun suggestions in the price range?

#4 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

Look into a used Tippmann 98 custom. Millions of them made you need nothing but a shake and shoot hopper about as reliable and durable as they come and infinitely upgradeable if you so choose. Oh and can be found easily for under $100. I still shoot a Pro/Carbine (the gun tippmann made before the 98c) and its still shooting like the day i bought it NEW in 1999. Cant go wrong with a tippmann product.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#5 NJC

NJC

pumper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Look into a used Tippmann 98 custom. Millions of them made you need nothing but a shake and shoot hopper about as reliable and durable as they come and infinitely upgradeable if you so choose. Oh and can be found easily for under $100. I still shoot a Pro/Carbine (the gun tippmann made before the 98c) and its still shooting like the day i bought it NEW in 1999. Cant go wrong with a tippmann product.

did he just, say, UPGRADABLE!? bad word when discussing a tippmann my friend

I split my vote, half for etekgirl's body, half for her mind, because I respect a woman's mind just as much as her cans.
*Waits to get hit*

#6 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

For casual woodsball, a BT-4 was an AWESOME marker for me (I owned one for about a year). It was rock-solid, could take abuse, and was fairly reliable. It could chop crap paint, but it was dependable. Here is a kit (no tank), and the marker itself. If I were you, I would save a little more money, and make your own package, like this:

The BT-4 Combat Mega Pack

OR...

Jarz's BT Combat Kit:
BT-4 Combat Marker - $115
Pure Energy 48/3000 Compressed Air Tank (HPA) - $40
Invert Helix Thermal Mask - $30
GXG Gravity-Feed Loader - $5

TOTAL: $190

I understand that it's a little more than you would like to spend, but I have owned and used each one of the items I recommended, and they work great. For casual play, you don't need a great loader, carbon fiber HPA tank, or a fast marker, but the BT-4 gives you the ability to put an electronic grip on it, or add any loader or tank. If you're into tht mil-sim stuff, you can add stocks, shrouds, etc., but I wouldn't recommend it. I just threw a CP 1-piece barrel and the double trigger (non-electronic) and called it a day.

Good luck with your decision! Just remember to have tons of fun! Hope this helps! :)
Posted Image

#7 pbfatality

pbfatality

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

I am looking to get a new woodsball setup. I am a very casual player and so are the few people I play with so no matter what I get I won't be outperformed so budget is the biggest holdup.. My old gun was a spyder 2000 and I am just looking for something equally dependable. Suggestions? Preferably comes in a package with mask/tank at least.

spyder mr1 value pack come with everything you need man good luck :)

#8 zccrx

zccrx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

spyder mr1 value pack come with everything you need man good luck :)

skip on the mr1. the cup seals are garbage. every mr1 I seen has needed the cup seals replaced a few times. that. includes the one I owned.
OLIVE 2011 REFLEX RAIL
www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179754

#9 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

did he just, say, UPGRADABLE!? bad word when discussing a tippmann my friend

Maybe to some especially on this forum (lots of tippy haters) BUT i have been playing for over 14 years have owned MANY Tippmanns and in my opinion there are some upgrades that offer substantial performance improvements for not a lot of money( Regulators, RT triggers and internal mods for Cyclone feeds).

Honestly how many of these top end electro markers you love today do you think will still be shooting this well (WITH NOTHING BUT A SINGLE ORING replaced) 13 years from now. My Pro Carbine did just that i have replaced one o ring in the 13 years i have been shooting it (hundreds of thousands of paintballs). I have added a barrel a drop forward and messed with the trigger springs. Its a GREAT shooting gun and i love shooting it regardless of the style of play. HOW is that a bad thing.
Oh and just for further info i make enuff to afford any of the current built "speedball guns" , BUT i CHOOSE to shoot Tippmanns, pumps,auto mags, and low end electro guns cause thats the guns I LIKE and i think many others like them too other wise tippmann would not be the largest paintball marker manufacturer out there. Besides it is WAY WAY cooler to play speed ball and win shooting a 13 year old tippmann than the latest and greatest from Dye, PE, or Bob long. Sure don't happen often but god its a blast when it does and to me FUN is what paintball is about.

Edited by TinyBear, 25 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#10 Wolferam

Wolferam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Tippmans are great for woodsball, but a bit heavy in my opinion. I recommend a Spyder VS1 or VS2. The VS1 is inexpensive, easily upgradable w/a Tadao board (which can be found cheap on Ansgear.com and Amazon.com). Downsides to the VS1 are no clamping feed neck (can find cheap on Ebay) and no on/off ASA (still inexpensive to upgrade). The VS2 comes w/an on/off ASA, clamping neck and better trigger. Both are great woodsball but will cross over to speedball as well.

#11 Tenet

Tenet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

No tadao boards on cheap guns, or on anything on a budget!!! Any board can do Semi-Auto decent, you do not need ramping for woods!

Option 1 getting your own gun:
You can get an Azodin Kaos for $89 new, or find it used for $50-70 on the forums.
You buy a used Halo2 for $30-35 and a $40 HPA steel tank.
With a $30 mask the total is going to be ~$150-170

First upgrade beyond that would be getting a more protection gear, and possibly replacing the mask with a Dual-Pane one.

Option 2 getting a good mask and "rental upgrades":
You find out if your field uses 98 customs, and then buy:
- $40-50 mask with Dual Pane Lens
- 98 custom threaded barrel
- $40 HPA steel tank
- $30 used Halo2 hopper (and anything required to mount it)
This will leave you about $40 to pay for the 98 custom rental in the next few games (since you bring your own mask and protection gear).
You rent, but screw on the upgrades to make it a decent setup.

A 98 custom can be found for $50, but will likely require you putting some work into it, and possibly replacing a part.

Once you get more money - you get better protection gear, and then with extra budget you'll have a choice;
- upgrade to Carbon HPA ($150 - selling the steel tank for $20+shipping = $120 upgrade cost). This upgrade is required before buying anything inefficient.
- upgrade the Gun based on how much you save up. I would wait until you have $250-300, because that seems to be the price point to which most good used tournament grade guns drop.

Edited by Tenet, 26 February 2012 - 12:26 AM.

NYC Brooklyn Paintball Player - Feedback TechPB MCB
Field Review: Paintball Sports Inc. NY
Bob Long Protege owner - Looking for a Driver from Brooklyn for Woodsball!

#12 MrBlanco

MrBlanco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

I can sell you a used custom 98 with a good barrel, a 48/3000, standard vl200 and a mask for $150+shipping. Gun has no problems, no leaks, and shoots great. Also tank is a year old. If interested, I'll send pics of all the items

Edited by MrBlanco, 29 February 2012 - 11:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users