15 replies to this topic

#1 PieCars

PieCars

Time to nut up or shut up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'm gonna be making some money by the end of march and I was wondering what a good DSLR to get would be? I'd wanna take it on the field, but also be able to shoot other non-sport videos with it. My family has a Nikon D40 and we have a good lens for it (not sure about the dimensions of it but it goes in pretty far) So I was thinking since we already have a Nikon, if there's a good nikon that'll shoot video, could I just by the body and use the lens I already have?

TL;DR looking for a budget DSLR setup. (preferably Nikon, if what I said above actually would work)

My Feedback 4/0/0

#2 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Canon has the edge for video. It offers 1080p recording as well as 60 fps. I'd suggest a t2i.

#3 etekgirl27

etekgirl27

Uber Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

t2i is kinda pricey if all you wanna do is video with a little pictures. If you get a t3 (not the t3i) i believe bestbuy has them right now for $500 with a kit lens that will give you a nice HD video. I dont know much about nikons personally. I k believe the d3100 is their budget dslr but I'm not sure if it takes video

My Feedback

Gearbag Sale

#4 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Yeah the d3100 or d5100 are nikons budget/beginner cameras. Personally, Id say look around online for reviews comparisons, then decide.

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#5 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Canon has the edge for video. It offers 1080p recording as well as 60 fps. I'd suggest a t2i.

It's only 60fps in 720p mode. Just clearing that up. In 1080p canon doesn't that much of an edge, at least not the 550D.
1080P is where it's at, it looks so much cleaner for non-paintball video.

Fot you I'd take a D3100 then later skip the D5100 and go straight for the D7000.
The 7000 is a beast and full of features even some pro models don't have. And a great video mode.

Edited by Nobben #44, 07 March 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#6 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

It's only 60fps in 720p mode. Just clearing that up. In 1080p canon doesn't that much of an edge, at least not the 550D.
1080P is where it's at, it looks so much cleaner for non-paintball video.

Fot you I'd take a D3100 then later skip the D5100 and go straight for the D7000.
The 7000 is a beast and full of features even some pro models don't have. And a great video mode.

This is correct, didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Nikon is getting there with their video mode. The d7000 has autofocus in video mode which is, although a little slow, great to see on a DSLR.

#7 afnav2011

afnav2011

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

For budget id look at the canon t2i, t3i or nikon d5100 (fairly similar to the d7000). Really depends on your budget and what future photo you want to do. Canon has better video, but nikon lenses are superior.
BST Feedback <--- +12/0/0
Crash at the Coast Miami
University Of Michigan

#8 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

For budget id look at the canon t2i, t3i or nikon d5100 (fairly similar to the d7000). Really depends on your budget and what future photo you want to do. Canon has better video, but nikon lenses are superior.

-_-

Nikon lenses are definitely not superior to Canon lenses. At most, they are on par with each other. Canon L series glass is something amazing. I have one L lens, the build quality is amazing.

#9 afnav2011

afnav2011

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

-_-

Nikon lenses are definitely not superior to Canon lenses. At most, they are on par with each other. Canon L series glass is something amazing. I have one L lens, the build quality is amazing.

And so starts the infamous canon vs nikon debate? It really depends on when/which generation you are buying as the companies leap frog each other or match each other in terms of AF speed, sharpness, price, etc.
Crash at the Coast Miami
University Of Michigan

#10 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

-_-

And so starts the infamous canon vs nikon debate? It really depends on when/which generation you are buying as the companies leap frog each other or match each other in terms of AF speed, sharpness, price, etc.

Canon vs Nikon is a stupid argument(we all know canon is definitely superior but carry on with your silly little Nikon's....kidding. maybe.)

:P

#11 pxndx

pxndx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

I recently purchased a Canon 550d (t2i). I love the video quality and the use of manual focus. I got another 50mm lens when I ordered it too.

#12 Jalen

Jalen

Resident Psychopath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

As much as Canon has better video, I'd say get a Nikon D3100.

It has video (I'm guessing you're not recording any feature films any time soon), it's a decent price if you get it used, you'll get a much better camera at the end of the day over the D40, and you'll already have a lens to use on it that "goes in pretty far"

Only bitch of DSLR video is that you're going to have to manually focus it. The whole time. You'll have to stand there and scrutinize a 3" screen and focus and refocus each and every second.
I only play paintball so I can tell dirty jokes.

#13 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

It isn't that hard with a little practice.

#14 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

-_-

At most, Nikon lenses are better than Canon ones. Their 70-200 f/2.8 VRII and the 14-24 f/2.8 one are better than Canon's L versions. And that is just two of them.
But I'm pretty sure Canon has a superior 200mm lens. And their 24-105, by god that is a beautiful L lens. Canon also has their 85mm f/1.2, which is great.
Each company have their weak and strong points in their top of the line lenses.

And afnav. The video on the D5100 is better than the D7000. But The Image quality, build quality and general features are quite the oposite. By a pretty long shot as well. ;)

#15 afnav2011

afnav2011

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

-_-

At most, Nikon lenses are better than Canon ones. Their 70-200 f/2.8 VRII and the 14-24 f/2.8 one are better than Canon's L versions. And that is just two of them.
But I'm pretty sure Canon has a superior 200mm lens. And their 24-105, by god that is a beautiful L lens. Canon also has their 85mm f/1.2, which is great.

And afnav. The video on the D5100 is better than the D7000. But The Image quality, build quality and general features are quite the oposite. By a pretty long shot as well. ;)

I know, but is similar in the fact that it is a 16.2 mp camera that uses the same sensor. Beyond that the features and specs are much more in the d7000's favor. If you are going for video then I'd go with the d5100, but for photos I'd go with the d7000.
Crash at the Coast Miami
University Of Michigan

#16 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

-_-

I know, but is similar in the fact that it is a 16.2 mp camera that uses the same sensor. Beyond that the features and specs are much more in the d7000's favor. If you are going for video then I'd go with the d5100, but for photos I'd go with the d7000.

Also, for some reason the D7000 have much better low light performance than the D5100 too. I generally have my ISO at around 1000 when I shoot sports with it. Not a grainball in sight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users