• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JasonSaastad

JasonSaastad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

I bought the Tacamo AK47 conversion kit for my Tippmann X7 Phenom and discovered that it is impossible to use the iron sights while wearing my current mask.

Does anyone know of a low profile mask that may be suitable? Preferably one available in MARPAT or pseudo MARPAT.

Posted Image <- actual marker

Posted Image <- web image of mask

#2 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the iron sights arent going to be useful. Even if you could use them with a mask, (horribly difficult, no matter which mask) it wouldnt do you any good. Paintballs dont fly straight and level. Unless you are sitting on top of your target (sights then wouldnt be needed) you will have to aim the gun up. As soon as you move it up, you cant see your target, because the gun will block it. In paintball, you aim down the side of the gun, rather than over it. Leaves you will full vision of your target no matter which angle.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#3 JasonSaastad

JasonSaastad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the iron sights arent going to be useful. Even if you could use them with a mask, (horribly difficult, no matter which mask) it wouldnt do you any good. Paintballs dont fly straight and level. Unless you are sitting on top of your target (sights then wouldnt be needed) you will have to aim the gun up. As soon as you move it up, you cant see your target, because the gun will block it. In paintball, you aim down the side of the gun, rather than over it. Leaves you will full vision of your target no matter which angle.

The nice thing about the AK47 iron sights is that they are adjustable for drop-off. I tend to sneak up on my opponents so that I am within 50 feet, which enables some decent accuracy. I was just hoping their might be someone out there who has come across the same thing, and has come up with a solution.

Also, I am posting in the wrong forum. Thanks anyway.

#4 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

You could use a riser(s) but they are a inch tall
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5 invictus

invictus

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

iron sights are useless for me, and i have the i4's

#6 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

unfortunately the "engineers" who design paintball markers and their sighting systems, don't have enough common fucking sense to put a PAINTBALL MASK ON when they test out their sights.

With paintball markers, you need to either eliminate the cheek-rest on the stock, or raise the sights about two inches for them to work

Also, it makes no sense that NO ONE currently in paintball engineering is smart enough to realize that a paintball immediately drops once it leaves the barrel. Putting standard iron sights on a marker makes the marker accurate for about 3 feet, then you have to aim over the person's head.

Ideally, the rear sight should be about 4 inches high, and the front sight about 2 inches high. This way you already have a certain amount of "barrel rise" already built into the sighting system, so you can actually aim and hit someone at 125 feet.

People who design this milsim shit seem to be more worried about looks than functionality

#7 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

This is why I went with a G-1, just gonna "Kentucky Windage" it lol.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#8 Ajomega

Ajomega

No thats not me in the photo... yes its winsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sights don't work, like mike said. It will also improve you aim I you don't use sights and look down the barrel of the gun because after a while you will be able to shoot extremely accurately and aim quicker due to muscle memory. With muscle memory you will be able to snap on to your target quicker without having to acquire your target via your sights. It's also quicker and lets you see more of the field at the same time, which limits the possibility of "tunnel vision".
urgh. I cant figure out how to put my bfbc2 stats on here :(

#9 spydervents

spydervents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

if you really want to use the sights I would recommend trying to find a special ops dogleg stock. They curve out more and leave room for you to put your head down and look at the sites.

#10 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Accuracy by volume usually works..........eventually ;)

#11 LuckyCanuck85

LuckyCanuck85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'm with everyone hear man. Iron sights on a paintball gun are 'bout as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane. Only thing I could suggest is get yourself a small red dot sight on a riser or offset rail, and sight it in so that, when you look through it, you're aiming in the general area of where the paint will land. That would be about the best you would get with aiming. But like Ajomega stated, once muscle memory kicks in, you won't need any type of sights, and they will actually start to hinder your ability to quickly bead your target. Hope this helps

#12 zuchaka

zuchaka

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

mike pretty much covered it in a perfect world paint balls would go where the the sights are aimed but sadly they just don't... when i first starting play in the 80's ( i stopped for a long time and started up again recently ) most of the markers had 45 degree angle feednecks and sights on them and you quickly realize that for as many paintball that follow where you are aiming just as many do not ......after awhile we all pretty much stopped using the sights anyway

#13 MMMerc

MMMerc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

This is how i feel about sights on a gun while wearing a mask.

Posted Image

#14 XerXes

XerXes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yeah masks and iron sights do not go well together, and unless you want to buy some after-market modification for the sights, then what mask you choose won't make much of a difference.

#15 cali penguin

cali penguin

Sophomore baller (EHS)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

with a proflex you can should press your face on the stock to look down the sights. ( because it flexes)Posted Image
If you've never been on PBN and NEVER will, put this on your sig! TECHPB 4 LIFE.
Posted Image
GOTTA have balls to rock a pinokio! It doesn't hurt to have a barrel too.
Empire Axe Owner

#16 your_colourful_elimination

your_colourful_elimination

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I bought the Tacamo AK47 conversion kit for my Tippmann X7 Phenom and discovered that it is impossible to use the iron sights while wearing my current mask.

Does anyone know of a low profile mask that may be suitable? Preferably one available in MARPAT or pseudo MARPAT.

th_192310732_IMG00284_20120308_0140_122_ <- actual marker

1270186749_img0.jpg <- web image of mask

I customized a basic and cheap Diablo Sabotage; 14" smart parts teardrop, mounted a 3.75x scope, expansion handle AND handbade a buttstock.
First off, I forgot to fit my buttstock while WEARING my mask. Big mistake, since I painted it too.
My solution was to cut a notch and add a cheekpiece. It no longer grabs my fasemask, and my eye is perfectly aligned.

Without carving up your stock custom, yes just look beside or down your marker for general aim. Same problem soldiers have wearing gas masks. Filters on the chin prohibit shoulder firing. Add a cheekpiece before you carve though LOL

Edited by your_colourful_elimination, 19 September 2013 - 02:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users