11 replies to this topic

#1 obsidianjeff

obsidianjeff

hello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

anyone else ever heard of the GOMAD diet? I'll be doing a report on it in my nutrition class, the intent of the diet is for gaining weight and bulking up for bodybuilders. the basic thing about the diet is that you drink a gallon of whole milk every day, on top of whatever you're normally eating, and you do lots of weight lifting and working out as much as possible, and you supposedly gain muscle mass from the added calories and protein.

its basically the opposite of what everyone considers a diet (because hey, they're gaining weight) and its not recommended that anyone stay on this for an extended period of time (what with the excessive weight gains). but yeah, some people are claiming a ~25 lb increase in a period of about 3 weeks (probably not what a doctor would call healthy)

just wondering what people's thoughts are on the idea of this thing, here are some links to sites with info:
gomad diet dot com
first week side effects
is it for everyone?

#2 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

It works, but the way milk prices are going now a days. It's kinda expensive if you're on a budget. A gallon of milk is like 4ish bucks where I live (probably more) and you're on the diet for about 28 days, so that's about 112 dollars in milk alone.

#3 Toat

Toat

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

sounds like some bullcrap to me. milk and dairy are nutritionally not very good for you, just a lot of fat. calcium sure, but calcium is found in many other foods. pretty absurd that we are the ONLY mammals in the world that continue to drink milk after infancy. cow's milk is meant for the health of infant cows, not humans.

#4 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

When you're bulking you need to eat a calorie excess. The fats from milk are a very good way to get required fats to build muscle well. Trough I personally prefer lean bulking compared to this. While say fish fat is better for you, getting fats from milk is easier and cheaper.

Edited by drexler, 21 March 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#5 Kench

Kench

Master Member

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

That much milk will make you feel like shit just because it is a bitch to digest in your stomach.

You should just get something like this http://www.gnc.com/p...0829&cp=3703232

Edited by Kench, 21 March 2012 - 01:28 PM.

Feedback+14/-0

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=221094 -Empire Z2

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222098 - Gearbag sale

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222127 - Critical 100g, eigenbarrel, freak inserts

#6 drexler

drexler

Nutrition is my Mission

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

You sip it throughout the day.

Btw, never buy from gnc they're just a big ripoff.

Edited by drexler, 21 March 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#7 Captiontom

Captiontom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Expect to gain 23 pounds of fat and 2 pounds of muscle in a month on GOMAD. I also heard a rumor about some people becoming lactose intolerance to some degree after trying GOMAD.

#8 zuchaka

zuchaka

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

ya i have known people that have done it usually in conjunction with high volume lighting program , what happens is the person puts on a lot of muscle and a lot of fat. That is way too much sugar for most people and there just are no magic bullet diets out there it does not take that much extra calories to put on muscle and a gallon of extra milk is ton of extra calories + whatever the person eats. The only kinda person that would really benefit from something like this is someone with a really fast metabolism that has a hard time putting on weight and even then i think they're are smarter ways to go about it. Not to mention your gonna get soooo sick of milk after a few days

Edited by zuchaka, 22 March 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#9 l0ry

l0ry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I started trying to gain weight a few months ago, had only minimal success so far.
What I did was change my diet to eating a lot of FAT (45%+) cheese. I'm living in Europe and there's lots of this white creamy cheese (Feta cheese or similar) available here. Don't know if there's some special word for that kind of cheese in English.

I'm eating a lot more than my parents, doing martial arts training (and pb obviously) and I somehow managed to gain about 2-3 kg in the last 4 months. I think I'll start a workout routine to focus specifically on muscle weight gain. The way it is now I kinda hit a plateau, I'm not really gaining anything more like this.

Well the point of this post was to throw in fat cheese as an idea, if you're fed up with milk :P

edit: this stronglift site that op linked also has tips for gaining weight other than GOMAD. I personally think there's healthier ways to gain weight than GOMAD.

Edited by l0ry, 27 March 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#10 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

you're putting in an additional 2500 calories into your body every single day, considering it only takes 3500 to gain a pound of fat, of course you're going to put on close to a pound (of something) per day

Bulking up is exactly that, you're slamming your body with a TON of extra calories to gain fat and muscle. I don't think it's rocket science, it just a calorie surplus.

You definitely are not going to be putting on a pound of MUSCLE every single day, that's just not going to happen. For every 10 pounds you gain, you might gain 1 to 2 pounds of muscle if you are lucky. You will have to eventually run at a caloric deficit to burn off those additional 8 pounds of fat you gain, for every 2 pounds of muscle you gained.

Personally I would be VERY careful about these "rapid" diets, for either bulking (putting on muscle) or cutting (cutting out fat). It always seems, that after teh dust has settled and everyone looks at it after the fad, that slow & steady is the better way to go.

Nothing wrong with gaining 1 pound of muscle each week, or losing 1 pound of fat per week. Unless you are getting ready for a bodybuilding competition, and you've got the experience needed to pull off these type of extreme diets, I'd be EXTREMELY careful what something like this can do to your body.

Remember, this is the only body you have. Fuck it up, you don't get another one. Slow & steady, that's what always seems to work with very little surprises

#11 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I did this for about 5 months while I have been over seas, drinking the milk available to me. I was drinking a ridiculous amount of milk, started at a half gallon a day, and gradually increased. I gained about 15 pounds over those 5 months, and then after cutting back and working out a whole ton in my free time, I gained about 7 pounds in muscle. It isn't worth the crappy feeling after you've been drinking a ridiculous amount of milk, just do it slow and steady, it's better for your body. I have an incredibly high metabolism and gaining weight is extremely difficult for me, and I would still rather do it naturally then trying to slam dairy products.

First after Mike (2x in one day woo!)

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#12 SavageSnipes

SavageSnipes

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

i compete in bodybuilding. let me clarify something. this diet is popular with YOUNGER bodybuilders. because the average teenager burns about 3,500 calories a day, a caloric dense and easily consumable substance such as milk sounds like a logical choice to meet your daily needs. in my opinion, it's a terrible idea. it taxes your digestive system horribly and is expensive and uncomfortable.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users