• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 epic meal time

epic meal time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

I was wondering which gun is best under 600 for my preferences?

Wants:
-light
-smoother
-reliable
-nice trigger

that's about it.

BTW! i have tried a vice and didn't like it so don't really try to recommend those unless you have DRASTIC reasons for me to go back.

Thanks,
Epic.

if you lubes tank barrel and hopper you can shoot gooder

VICE F/S/T

EPIC MEAL TIME BABAAYYYY

#2 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

Recently I was looking to make the same purchase coming from a G4 and needing to upgrade...I am fortunate in that I was able to shoot several markers before made my choice. the three that you are looking at are more similar than different. Both the ETHA and the AXE are single tube designs. While they may look like spool-valve guns, in fact they are both in-line poppets, though slightly different in the details. They both give you the advantages of efficiency, easy maintenance and and like a spoolie, a lower profile. The ETEK LT is a classic stacked tube poppet valve, easier to clean and service, much higher profile. The lower profile or single tube reduces felt recoil because the the bore is closer to your hand, lessing the leverage of the impact, so it feels like less "kick". I shot all three markers and all shoot well. I do not like the barrel on the ETHA and the ETEK LT ,while they better than the one on the AXE, also they look more traditional, they are very overbore at .693, so efficiency suffers. When it comes to ergonomics, I did not like the feel in my hand, the plastic frames feel cheep and the mat finish looks like it was done to match the plastic. I did not shoot the ETEK AM, it is with-in your budget and may feel better with the full aluminum frame? Both the PE markers shoot OK, not too much recoil, the ETEK has a bit more and vibrates a bit too. The triggers are OK too...what is surprising is how LOUD they are...WOW! The AXE is a much high quality build; materials, fit and finish are very nice as is the lack of external micro-lines. The AXE also shoots much better, even with the stock bolt. The trigger is better and while a battery sucker, is easy on the air. The only upgrade that is a MUST is a new barrel, the stock on is too short and too overbore (.691) - I recommend a 14 or 16 inch barrel, maybe a 2 piece CP with a .685 back to start (or a kit if you can) or I also recommend the Deadlywind Fibur Barrel with the FREAK inserts, it is a carbon fiber tube with a great finish both inside and out. With the AXE, if you like you can also upgrade the bolt to a lurker or Boss V2 , both are made of delrin and are very light and make the AXE shoot even better. All three are good markers ad you will likely be happy with any of them, again, I like the AXE best, the ETEK second, then the ETHA last.

Of course there are several other markers in your price category like the Proto Reflex and the DP FX - I tried both of these as well, not to keep going on, I chose the AXE...

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

#3 xincognitopbx

xincognitopbx

Ripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

drone/droid. ^ learn how to coherently press the enter button. That block of text is near illegible :rolleyes:

and yet again. the axe stock barrel is FINE.

Edited by xincognitopbx, 22 March 2012 - 10:28 PM.

But the Ego 11 is shiny. :(

Dosent the Ego 11 only come in dust colours?

Feedback 2/0/0

#4 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

drone/droid. ^ learn how to coherently press the enter button. That block of text is near illegible :rolleyes:

and yet again. the axe stock barrel is FINE.

I have not shot either the drone or droid markers, they have a good reputation and may be great. I do not like the stock barrel on the AXE, if you think it is fine, I can respect that, just not right for me. I agree I could format my post better, will work on it...

Edited by David A., 24 March 2012 - 04:32 PM.

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

#5 darkshocker11

darkshocker11

was the cake really a lie?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Get a dm9 with a critical trigger and nt asa.

Why did it take so long to make a Shocker with the spring stock?

#6 epic meal time

epic meal time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Recently I was looking to make the same purchase coming from a G4 and needing to upgrade...I am fortunate in that I was able to shoot several markers before made my choice. the three that you are looking at are more similar than different. Both the ETHA and the AXE are single tube designs. While they may look like spool-valve guns, in fact they are both in-line poppets, though slightly different in the details. They both give you the advantages of efficiency, easy maintenance and and like a spoolie, a lower profile. The ETEK LT is a classic stacked tube poppet valve, easier to clean and service, much higher profile. The lower profile or single tube reduces felt recoil because the the bore is closer to your hand, lessing the leverage of the impact, so it feels like less "kick". I shot all three markers and all shoot well. I do not like the barrel on the ETHA and the ETEK LT ,while they better than the one on the AXE, also they look more traditional, they are very overbore at .693, so efficiency suffers. When it comes to ergonomics, I did not like the feel in my hand, the plastic frames feel cheep and the mat finish looks like it was done to match the plastic. I did not shoot the ETEK AM, it is with-in your budget and may feel better with the full aluminum frame? Both the PE markers shoot OK, not too much recoil, the ETEK has a bit more and vibrates a bit too. The triggers are OK too...what is surprising is how LOUD they are...WOW! The AXE is a much high quality build; materials, fit and finish are very nice as is the lack of external micro-lines. The AXE also shoots much better, even with the stock bolt. The trigger is better and while a battery sucker, is easy on the air. The only upgrade that is a MUST is a new barrel, the stock on is too short and too overbore (.691) - I recommend a 14 or 16 inch barrel, maybe a 2 piece CP with a .685 back to start (or a kit if you can) or I also recommend the Deadlywind Fibur Barrel with the FREAK inserts, it is a carbon fiber tube with a great finish both inside and out. With the AXE, if you like you can also upgrade the bolt to a lurker or Boss V2 , both are made of delrin and are very light and make the AXE shoot even better. All three are good markers ad you will likely be happy with any of them, again, I like the AXE best, the ETEK second, then the ETHA last.

Of course there are several other markers in your price category like the Proto Reflex and the DP FX - I tried both of these as well, not to keep going on, I chose the AXE...

Dude... I'm not some kid just getting into the sport, I've been playing for 5 years, I am looking strictly a used markers, nothing new because I want a high end marker not a low end

VICE F/S/T

EPIC MEAL TIME BABAAYYYY

#7 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

How smooth do you want the gun? In general, once you get into the "very smooth" section of markers, the reliability starts diving. That isnt to say it is always that way, but in general, that is the way it typically works out. I know that I sound like a broken record here, but seriously, take a quick look at the Cyborg RX. The stock trigger is crap, I will not say anything nice about that, but most people have already upgraded the trigger, and if they havent, for 37 dollars, you have a VP on it, and it is great. You can find them fairly easily for 400-425 bucks, stock. Add in 37 for a trigger, and then smack a different barrel on it. (the stock barrel makes the gun significantly louder than it actually is. Other than that, the barrel works as it should)

I have some lengthy threads about the Cyborg RX, as well as a full out super gun show which is something like an hour long. I also have multiple side by side shooting videos, directly comparing the RX against other markers such as the Victory, Ego 11, Droid, Creed, etc. If you want links, let me know, and I will put them up.

Anyway, the main highlights of the gun are:

- One of the smoothest shooting stacked tube poppets ever made.
- One of the quietest (with a different barrel) poppets ever made.
- Efficient. Nearly a case off a full fill.
- Wrap around, rubberized grips.
- OLED board stock.
- Nice case and packaging.
- Light, tightly milled gun. Just not fancy.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#8 sclogger

sclogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Macdev Clone V2 with a VP trigger can be had for under 600 now, but be keep in mind, it will be the last gun you ever shoot!

#9 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Since you do not like the Vice, the G6r is not a good choice as it is very close. If smooth is very important, maybe a Dye DM 10. It is high- end, very smooth, shoots fast, has a good trigger and not known as a ball chopper....used about $600.00. Good luck.

My Markers:

#10 epic meal time

epic meal time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Macdev Clone V2 with a VP trigger can be had for under 600 now, but be keep in mind, it will be the last gun you ever shoot!

Why, will I did after using it? Lol

VICE F/S/T

EPIC MEAL TIME BABAAYYYY

#11 NotaSniper

NotaSniper

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

You have obviously never taken apart a PE marker if you consider the axe high quality. PE builds their gear very very well. GNR grips does not mean it is not high quality. You should check YouTube on the video were the guy throws an Etha twice. Then drops it into a creek while it's on. It aired up and fired just fine.

The Etha barrel is also shaft 4 compatible. Any shaft 4 back fits the front.

I'd wait till the clone gt comes out and pick up a VX. They should drop in price.

#12 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

If you dont want to drop all $600 then buy a marq 7 (preferably with supercharger/proficiency engine) and you will be hard pressed to find a smoother and quieter poppit in that price range.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#13 sclogger

sclogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Why, will I did after using it? Lol

I've owned 5 clones in my paintball career, and I regretted it ever single time I traded or sold one away. I'm a huge gun whore, and nothing comes close to it. Your spoiled after firing one, especially if it's well broken in. Recently picked up a gorgeous VX, paid a pretty penny for her, but she was worth every cent...With their new marker on the horizon, V2's are a steal right now.

Posted Image

Edited by sclogger, 23 March 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#14 epic meal time

epic meal time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

...all the clones are 700 or up

VICE F/S/T

EPIC MEAL TIME BABAAYYYY

#15 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Then your not looking, I see v2 clones for 600 or less all the time.

#16 Latsabb

Latsabb

Your resident gun whore.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Clones are great guns, but can be a nightmare to troubleshoot. The only reason I dumped my VXed Clone (other than I am a massive gunwhore) was because I dont like complicated drivetrains. For the most part, it wont matter, as most of the o-rings are static. But once you have a problem, the sheer amount of o-rings makes it a headache. Other than that, see my above comments about the Cyborg RX, and apply them to the Clone. The Clone has a better barrel as far as sound, though.
Oderint Dum Metuant

Posted Image

#17 xincognitopbx

xincognitopbx

Ripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

@ Latsabb, linky to the comparative vids with ego11s in them?

and I demand to know where the adorable little owls in your avatar went.

But the Ego 11 is shiny. :(

Dosent the Ego 11 only come in dust colours?

Feedback 2/0/0

#18 epic meal time

epic meal time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

lol same! i was sad when i saw them gone

Then your not looking, I see v2 clones for 600 or less all the time.

i just looked all over pbn....

VICE F/S/T

EPIC MEAL TIME BABAAYYYY

#19 cybermaniac15

cybermaniac15

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Might be too late then. Even trade my gun had a bunch, guess they all sold.

#20 Kid player

Kid player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Shocker, or used macdev clone maybe?

Hey I play paintball. I like it.

#21 SWAGpaintball

SWAGpaintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

<br>How smooth do you want the gun? In general, once you get into the "very smooth" section of markers, the reliability starts diving. That isnt to say it is always that way, but in general, that is the way it typically works out. I know that I sound like a broken record here, but seriously, take a quick look at the Cyborg RX. The stock trigger is crap, I will not say anything nice about that, but most people have already upgraded the trigger, and if they havent, for 37 dollars, you have a VP on it, and it is great. You can find them fairly easily for 400-425 bucks, stock. Add in 37 for a trigger, and then smack a different barrel on it. (the stock barrel makes the gun significantly louder than it actually is. Other than that, the barrel works as it should)<br><br>I have some lengthy threads about the Cyborg RX, as well as a full out super gun show which is something like an hour long. I also have multiple side by side shooting videos, directly comparing the RX against other markers such as the Victory, Ego 11, Droid, Creed, etc. If you want links, let me know, and I will put them up.<br><br>Anyway, the main highlights of the gun are:<br><br>- One of the smoothest shooting stacked tube poppets ever made.<br>- One of the quietest (with a different barrel) poppets ever made.<br>- Efficient. Nearly a case off a full fill.<br>- Wrap around, rubberized grips.<br>- OLED board stock.<br>- Nice case and packaging.<br>- Light, tightly milled gun. Just not fancy.<br>

<br>you have convinced me to get one, but i cant find one on ebay or craigslist, and I have never bought on TechPB's BST<br><br>
TexasSWAG(Stolen Withouy A Gun)paintball
Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.c...asSWAGpaintball
Home Field
http://www.paintballfunontherun.com/

#22 epic meal time

epic meal time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

shockers are too much for me IMO, i like macdev guns but not the droid because of the screw needed to hold the bolt in place, and the complicated bolt systems that macdev has been plagued with....

VICE F/S/T

EPIC MEAL TIME BABAAYYYY

#23 TheBossManLtDan

TheBossManLtDan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Used supergun

#24 JC719

JC719

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

-SNIP-

BST outside the BST.

Edited by Latsabb, 28 March 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#25 98Pro

98Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Get an Axe. New or used. You can get one with everything on it used for 600. Axes are the shit. There's a reason people are putting down luxes, Geo 2's, NT's, etc for them. They are fucking awesome.

#26 Michael nest

Michael nest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

My personal favory on that range are:
The bob long victory
The marqs 6-7
Bob long vice
Dm09 with all upgreades they already mention
Ego09
Timmy Alias (solid crap)

Al personal preference & shoot by me

#27 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

My vote is for a DM9 for a spoolie, and a Ego 9 for a poppet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users