29 replies to this topic

#1 Slider993

Slider993

Players' club FTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Currently I've using a CP two piece .685 barrel on my pump and my local paint has finally gotten so small that the back is WAY too big to stop rollouts. I'm considering purchasing a CP .679 back, but I'm concerned that it won't be small enough to stop rollouts in the future. Am I just being ridiculous or is the paint going to keep getting smaller?

I've been looking into Freak barrels and the Deadlywind that accepts Freak inserts. Would this be a better option over the CP?

Thanks,
Slider

Edited by Slider993, 26 March 2012 - 05:40 PM.

Thanks BORG for all you have given to the paintball community. RIP. You will be missed.

#2 The Crazy Cow

The Crazy Cow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Keep your CP unless you want a lighter barrel.
Moo.

#3 Jarz

Jarz

Workin' that post count back up...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I get to use the car reference for the first time!!! :lol:

The CP barrel is like a Ford pick-up; it'll get the job done, and will look average. The Deadlywind barrel is like a Cadillac pick-up; it will get the same job done, but has bells and whistles (looks better, takes inserts, lighter).

I love my Deadlywind, because I can use it to underbore on both my markers (Sniper and Axe), have many underbore options, and it looks hot. :wub:

if you have the money, and want some bells and whistles, the DW is the way to go. I'd look into the Lurker barrel too, because everyone seems to love them.

Edited by Jarz, 26 March 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image

#4 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

get a lurker

#5 EDDAKA

EDDAKA

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

get a lurker

I hate mine. I've had two now and they both were the most inaccurate barrel I've ever shot.

Edited by EDDAKA, 26 March 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#6 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

get a lurker

I hate mine. I've had two now and they both were the most inaccurate barrel I've ever shot.

That's strange, I loved mine. It felt no different than any other barrel. Did yours come scratched or anything?

#7 H all day

H all day

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

get a lurker

all barrels have the same accuarcy...
I pay for all my gear...Im 13.If your under 18 and pay for your gear, put this section in your sig
Proud Christian Paintballer!!

#8 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

eddeka did you check your paint, make sure the barrels were clean, check for scratched, inspected detnents and bolt/breech? all of my lurkers have shot beautifully except for one that got a scratch in it when a kid i lent it to picked up paint, and lurker sent me a new one under warranty. they are by far the best pump/underbore barrel i have ever used.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#9 EDDAKA

EDDAKA

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

eddeka did you check your paint, make sure the barrels were clean, check for scratched, inspected detnents and bolt/breech? all of my lurkers have shot beautifully except for one that got a scratch in it when a kid i lent it to picked up paint, and lurker sent me a new one under warranty. they are by far the best pump/underbore barrel i have ever used.

I had one that had a weird bore. (was .684 and went into a .676 on the muzzle. It was basically backwards.) lurker replaced it and I got a second one. .678 to .682 muzzle.

I dunno. My deadlywind shoots fine. My cp (with electrical tape) shoots perfect. My lurker literally shoots like crap. Can't explain it. Bore looks flawless.

#10 The Can_diggle

The Can_diggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Get the Pumppb.com Lapco barrel it is my new favorite for small paint

#11 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

get a lurker

FALSE. Sorry! No they DO NOT!

Go take a Dye UL barrel and shoot it next to a stock 98 custom barrel. The UL Barrel shoots better. This can go with many different barrels.

#12 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

Lurker barrels seem to be picky. On my autococker, the barrel shoots absolutely perfect and straight every time. On my DM or timmy, it gets a much looser grouping.

I LOVE the eigenbarrel but I usually use a CP or Kaner on my open bolt guns.

#13 YoungGun32

YoungGun32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

get a lurker

Go take a Dye UL barrel and shoot it next to a stock 98 custom barrel. The UL Barrel shoots better. This can go with many different barrels.

Here we go again.

It really depends, are you looking for a special color? If not I would get a lurker but i wanted a purple front so i went CP 682. A 679 isn't going to break paint, you have to super under bore for that to happen. Honestly I should have gotten a 679 but didn't.

#14 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

get a lurker

You're comparing quality to shit.
A quality lurker will shoot just as well as a quality cp (the relevant topic here).

And I understand he said "all" but I'm not in the mood for playing the semantics game here and would prefer to stick to the topic at hand.

Edited by Antonious, 27 March 2012 - 06:11 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#15 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

I had one that had a weird bore. (was .684 and went into a .676 on the muzzle. It was basically backwards.) lurker replaced it and I got a second one. .678 to .682 muzzle.

I dunno. My deadlywind shoots fine. My cp (with electrical tape) shoots perfect. My lurker literally shoots like crap. Can't explain it. Bore looks flawless.

Well the Lurkers do have fairly pedestrian manufacturing quality. That's how they keep prices down. With those specifications, however, it sounds like you got a V1? Very early purchase?

Get the Pumppb.com Lapco barrel it is my new favorite for small paint

:D

Edited by drg, 27 March 2012 - 06:05 AM.

Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#16 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Sorry to get off on a tangent with the whole accuracy thing again :P

#17 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,590 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

it sounds like you're underboring too much. When you go past .005-.007 odd things start to happen. Obviously a manufacture error is a problem - but we haven't seen results on the Lurker different than other barrels of the same bore size.

Lurker barrels seem to be picky. On my autococker, the barrel shoots absolutely perfect and straight every time. On my DM or timmy, it gets a much looser grouping.

Have you actually measured this or are you just reporting what you think is happening?

To the OP - here's how I list the best underbore options:

Under $60:
Lurker
CP Two Piece
Pumppb lapco
Freak

Over $60
Deadlywind
Stiffi Classic

What you get for higher cost is basically looks. Yes, carbon fiber is cool - but the Lurker is within a few grams of weight of the classic.

and drg - see, it's on the list now. :)

#18 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

it sounds like you're underboring too much. When you go past .005-.007 odd things start to happen. Obviously a manufacture error is a problem - but we haven't seen results on the Lurker different than other barrels of the same bore size.

Have you actually measured this or are you just reporting what you think is happening?

Under $60:
Lurker
CP Two Piece
Pumppb lapco
Freak

Over $60
Deadlywind
Stiffi Classic

What you get for higher cost is basically looks. Yes, carbon fiber is cool - but the Lurker is within a few grams of weight of the classic.

Do I have data to prove this? No, but it's what I observed. Shooting with my eigenbarrel with Premium on my DM3, the shots had a noticeable tendency to spread out at distance. On average, my spread was about 5 square feet(give or take, just estimating). After I threw my boomstick on the gun it shot perfectly straight every shot and was +/- 10 over the chronograph. With my 'cocker, the spread is much smaller.

Since I didn't do any testing, and I'm not involving real numbers, I know this doesn't count as a legitimate test. However, this is my observation. I use my eigenbarrel every time I play, and it shoots great for me, I just can't get it to get equal results on my open bolt markers.

#19 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Under $60:
Lurker
CP Two Piece
Pumppb lapco
Freak

Over $60
Deadlywind
Stiffi Classic

A wet sloppy kiss for you :wub:

:lol:

Regarding what Kermit said ... could this be Jack Wood's "loading systems" variable coming into play? Still, a successful underbore should exhibit no different spin or bouncing patterns from marker to marker, no?

Edited by drg, 27 March 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#20 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,590 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Do I have data to prove this? No, but it's what I observed. Shooting with my eigenbarrel with Premium on my DM3, the shots had a noticeable tendency to spread out at distance. On average, my spread was about 5 square feet(give or take, just estimating). After I threw my boomstick on the gun it shot perfectly straight every shot and was +/- 10 over the chronograph. With my 'cocker, the spread is much smaller.

Since I didn't do any testing, and I'm not involving real numbers, I know this doesn't count as a legitimate test. However, this is my observation. I use my eigenbarrel every time I play, and it shoots great for me, I just can't get it to get equal results on my open bolt markers.

Yeah, just can't really make any claims based on observations like that. The sight picture on different guns is different - there just can't be any real observations made on things like that. Sorry. Lock them down in a vice and try it - then you can comment on differences.

Regarding what Kermit said ... could this be Jack Wood's "loading systems" variable coming into play? Still, a successful underbore should exhibit no different spin or bouncing patterns from marker to marker, no?

That or simply a variation in sight picture, gun geometry, ergonomics etc.

#21 Slider993

Slider993

Players' club FTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I forgot to mention I'm interested in the Lurker. Is it worth me purchasing the Lurker or just buying a new CP .679 back?

Edited by Slider993, 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Thanks BORG for all you have given to the paintball community. RIP. You will be missed.

#22 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

If you already have a CP two piece, I'd just get the back. The lurker finish just isn't QUITE as nice as a CP's, at least mine isn't.

Yeah, just can't really make any claims based on observations like that. The sight picture on different guns is different - there just can't be any real observations made on things like that. Sorry. Lock them down in a vice and try it - then you can comment on differences.

That or simply a variation in sight picture, gun geometry, ergonomics etc.

You are correct, Bryce. My apologies, probably stupid to argue with the man who actually tested this out :rolleyes:

#23 Slider993

Slider993

Players' club FTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

So today I went to ANSgear my local store and I got talked out of the .679. I told myself I wouldn't, but all of the workers claimed that I would break paint like crazy. They said I should get a .682, but paint was rolling halfway down the barrel back, so I decided to get nothing and do some more research.

They said the best option was the .682 or a Freak barrel. Will the .679 break paint/ be way too small like they claimed?

#24 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Nope.

#25 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

So today I went to ANSgear my local store and I got talked out of the .679. I told myself I wouldn't, but all of the workers claimed that I would break paint like crazy. They said I should get a .682, but paint was rolling halfway down the barrel back, so I decided to get nothing and do some more research.

They said the best option was the .682 or a Freak barrel. Will the .679 break paint/ be way too small like they claimed?

Uhh, no?
What the hell were they thinking?

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#26 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,590 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Uhh, no?
What the hell were they thinking?

they were thinking what 95% of paintball players thought 5 years ago. They were thinking exactly the same thing I thought until I tested it out.

Here - if they want to learn point them here:

http://www.punkworks...ex.php?p=7&id=6

and

http://www.punkworks...x.php?p=7&id=40

we were shooting paint that was as big as .690/.691 in some cases and didn't start seeing breaks till we got down to .673 with the barrel - that's an underbore of .017-ish. You're totally safe down to .005-.007 underbore.

#27 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

people at paintball shops are the LAST people you want to take tech advice from.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#28 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well if the paint is like > .695 it might be too small. Balls could get stuck, but it STILL won't necessarily break a lot of balls due to the underbore.

#29 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I have a .685 CP barrel and a .678 Eigenbarrel. I really like the eigenbarrel on my 'cocker when paint is small, which is it a lot of the time. When I shoot with an open bolt gun I'll just use the .685 regardless.

#30 Slider993

Slider993

Players' club FTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go purchase the .679 back and see how it works out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users