Photo

Kermit Talks-Tippmann's and Speedball guns

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I6ztnHRaeU&feature=plcp&context=C4ed42b6VDvjVQa1PpcFN8fzmP37MaohJHdhloznny_OtRTpnssEE%3D

Well, I've been debating posting this video for a while but I figure it can't hurt my online reputation too bad ;)

Take this with a grain of salt. This was with no intention meant to bash on speedball guns. Personally, I prefer a speedball gun. However, someone else might not.
Before you go bashing on performance, weight, reliability, or whatever it may be, keep in mind that these markers still shoot paintballs just fine.

Just something to chew on.

Edited by Kermit, 27 March 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#2 AceComets

AceComets

Low-Ball Extraordinaire

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

I'm going to buy all the upped a5's and part them out and make bank ;)

I will fucking cut you AceComets, I will cut you like....paper with......scissors?

Ace's Feedback Ace's Mod App

#3 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Well that' definitely wasn't the point, but have at it! :P

#4 AceComets

AceComets

Low-Ball Extraordinaire

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

definitely the point, "upgrades" hold more value when their parted out...not sold with the gun as a package.

I will fucking cut you AceComets, I will cut you like....paper with......scissors?

#5 Cp snekybever

Cp snekybever

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Nice vid I really never thought that the a5 weighed more, This changes ever thing my mind is blown

Edited by Cp snekybever, 27 March 2012 - 10:57 PM.

SAN DIEGO BALLER

Seriously though...
I won't hate on them as much as everyone else on here has ,but the Luxe is more accident prone then Michael J. Fox playing a game of Operation.

#6 AceComets

AceComets

Low-Ball Extraordinaire

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

First

LOL

#7 evan15549

evan15549

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

I see what you mean not only on here but also on the field, when picking teams, they automatically expect that the tippmann owners aren't going to be as good or they always bash them on how it's just a money pit. I mean the only thing I feel that is a moneypit in tippmanns are upgrades imo. (I'm speaking of the upgrades that do not have any effect on performance) I mean they certainly look cool, but as long as you know what you're spending money on, it's your money so whatever floats your boat.

#8 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,649 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Some great points were made. I still have three of my old tippmanns. I haven't used them in forever though, just because I prefer my other markers because they fit my playing style more. They are great loaner markers because I can air them up knowing I won't have any problems with them lol.

Edited by SOUP, 27 March 2012 - 10:57 PM.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#9 chad44

chad44

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Tippmann are very good guns and they serve their purpose but, I'm not going to take my tippmann out on a speedball field. I would rather have my vice on a woodsball course any day of the week. It just depends on how you use them.

#10 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Excellent point, Chad. And I agree.

#11 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

To be honest, I have to agree. Tippmanns are great, rugged guns; and so long as you don't mind not having the coolest gun on the planet; they do the job just fine.

I had an A5 almost Identical to that one and it definitely did what I needed it to while I had it.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#12 pb=life

pb=life

I like penguins

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Great points Kermit :tup:

#13 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Good points were made here.It also should be said that Tippmann As a company has brought more people into this game than any other manufacture alone. On top of this in the early days Tippmann truly were one of the few BIG innovators of the sport and one of the FEW surviving OLD brands.

And as far as reliability they have always been one of the best. I personally bought my Tippmann Pro/Carbine 13 or so years ago its seen easily 100's of cases threw it and in those 13 years its needed a SINGLE o-ring replaced. The main spring has weakened over the years and grips are very worn but it still shoots paint down range just fine and its still one of my favourite guns too shoot.

Edited by TinyBear, 28 March 2012 - 11:23 PM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, DP E1, Empire Trracer, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1, Tacamo/TippmannA5 Mk5, Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#14 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

First

LOL

FIRST

Also Tippmann has fancy stuff.

Edited by Lime, 28 March 2012 - 12:21 AM.

I love you.

#15 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

Reasons I Dislike Tippmanns
1. Offset Hopper
2. I Use A Tank
3. Kicks Like $hit
4. Loud As Fuck
5. Sear Trippers
6. Brutal On Paint
7. THERE ARE WAY BETTER GUNS FOR TJE MONEY

With that being said I get your point but people complain because they feel the need in upgrading their gun and end up crying because their gun is still cheap, paintball is expensive, and the tippmann won't ever be as good as a true electropnumatic marker.

Edited by Hitman2513, 28 March 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image
Bitches love my Spyder Ion

[-ORaNGe-] Trolling isn't an action, it's a lifestyle :)

#16 nighthunter

nighthunter

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

1. Offset Hopper ok
2. I Use A Tank doesn't everyone?
3. Kicks Like $hit if "kick" bothers you, you picked the wrong sport...
4. Loud As Fuck so is any poppet... your point is?
5. Sear Trippers um, yeah... so are azodins and spyders how is that important?
6. Brutal On Paint so is any blowback... it's not just Tippmanns

With that being said I get your point but people complain because they feel the need in upgrading their gun and end up crying because their gun is still cheap, paintball is expensive, and the tippmann won't ever be as good as a true electropnumatic marker.

nighthuntersig_edited-1.png

Using a gun that's been hardly maintained and tossed from person to person more than a village whore is hardly a fair way to compare the marker.

#17 sameagol26

sameagol26

I am BTDeltafan101

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Excellent video!
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel --> BTDeltafan101

#18 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

great vid kermit!
RAWR?

#19 Empire91

Empire91

Pump Zen Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

I call Bullshit!! Take the bolt out of one gun and not the other? One gun is more accurate than the other? Preposterous sir! Posted Image

Tippmann for the win.

#20 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

1. Offset Hopper
2. I Use A Tank
3. Kicks Like $hit
4. Loud As Fuck
5. Sear Trippers
6. Brutal On Paint

Well I think that's entirely up to the user as what defines a "good" paintball gun.

A friend of mine shoots an a5 religiously, nearly every weekend for the last 5 years. It was the first gun he bought and he hasn't upgraded anything on the gun. He has played speedball, airball, woodsball, CQB...you name it with his stock a5. Only thing that he's ever had to do was oil the gun after every weekend and replace one oring in the tombstone. I would be very surprised if he replaced his gun with anything else.

And one thing I haven't ever figured out, why do people not like seer trippers? A metal seer is a LOT more robust than a solenoid not to mention a LOT cheaper to replace.

#21 Kikkia

Kikkia

Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Im at school so no youtube Posted Image While i dont like tippies i recomend them to new players because of the durability and the affordability. A used 98 can run about 40.
Etek3 /Dye Rotor/GI 68/45

#22 chad44

chad44

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Tippmanns are extremely easy to work on. They require very little maintenance. I have yet to get frustrated and pissed off over a tippmann not working.
For the money they get the job done and you can customize them the way you want (which can be a money pit) useless cosmetic upgrades that only look cool.

#23 Empire91

Empire91

Pump Zen Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Because people don't like cheap and simple. They want what is the most technologically advanced.

#24 madsnipes

madsnipes

TechPB's Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

when you use a remote line you then have to have the tank on your back, which means you have to wear a vest to hold your tank. all of this causes a higher profile and weighs you down. i would make the point that i feel much lighter holding a speedball gun and wearing a podpack then using a giant tippmann and wearing a swat vest with a tank on my back.

#32 "Dusty" of the Devil Dogs. Give us a like if you want - Devil Dogs Paintball

TechPBsig_zpsbc0cb057.jpg

#25 Spambot

Spambot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

1. Offset Hopper
2. I Use A Tank
3. Kicks Like $hit
4. Loud As Fuck
5. Sear Trippers
6. Brutal On Paint

Well I think that's entirely up to the user as what defines a "good" paintball gun.

A friend of mine shoots an a5 religiously, nearly every weekend for the last 5 years. It was the first gun he bought and he hasn't upgraded anything on the gun. He has played speedball, airball, woodsball, CQB...you name it with his stock a5. Only thing that he's ever had to do was oil the gun after every weekend and replace one oring in the tombstone. I would be very surprised if he replaced his gun with anything else.

And one thing I haven't ever figured out, why do people not like seer trippers? A metal seer is a LOT more robust than a solenoid not to mention a LOT cheaper to replace.

To continue on with the seer tripper statement, not all seer trippers are cheap terrible guns. For example just about every automag and autococker is a seer tripper, with the exception of those with an mq valve.

#26 kanonjon

kanonjon

Oldschool is the proper school

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Tippmanns(all the blowbacks) are nasty piece of mass produced pig iron. There is no soul within, the feeling of shooting one is non-exsistant. I would rather sell my kidney before owning one.

However, Tippmann is the face of paintball to the general public. Their markers is so crude and so simple that they will go on forever. For those two reasons, Tippmann should get the respect they deserve.

And another thing, I really like what Tippmann have done over the recent years, bringing the Phenom and Crossover to the market is a positive step forward for Tippmann.

Edited by kanonjon, 28 March 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image
DC2 Nexus - Pro series - Karnivor - Black Magic - Evo - Quest Sniper
Jack Wood on the DC2 : "I would love to have a DC2, in mint condition. I think it's one of the best looking guns I've ever done."
My YouTube channel

#27 Myrkul

Myrkul

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

I actually just sold my tippmanns...What killed those guns for me wasn't weight, it was lenght. I like very very short guns, short barrels, short tanks, big drops, anything to get my lenght shorter. Tippmanns are great shooting guns, but even if I set them up to my preference, they are just a tad too long.
"I only drink the blood of my enemies! oh, and occasionally one of those strawberry Slurpee thingies"

#28 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

I just hate off-set feednecks, be it a cocker, mag, or Tippmann.
That's the number one reason I don't like Tippmann.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#29 Empire91

Empire91

Pump Zen Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

I do in fact dislike off sets very much.

#30 bth9461

bth9461

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Why do many of you like center drop necks? I actually like a offset better.

Frankly I am very unsure if I would like a electro trigger marker. I have not shot one yet though, but looking at some game video, the electro trigger action looks more like video game playing or key board work. Does not look like a real trigger pull. They don't really look like you are shooting a gun.

Tippmann was a God send for field owners when they introduced the Prolite in the mid 90's.

If you are only going to play Recball and on a partime or even very regular basis, the Tippmann Guns really hold up and will not fail to shoot.

I would agree from the video I have seen, a Speedball gun should be useable in the Woods. They are accurate, lite, and very fast firing all things that would work in any type of game.

Do the electro's break down a lot?

Are the Tippmans really at a disadvantage in accuracy and range?

My only concern is the trigger action (for electro's), purely personal choice.

I hope to play in Mid April and will be using a Tippmann and a borrowed Phantom. I really need to see the New Game up close before I buy anything. Maybe I will buy a Pump or some other semi not sure yet.

#31 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

It's just how I play.
I like to fully utilize my cover by switching hands to shoot from both sides of cover while still keeping a low profile. To further my low profile, I cant the gun in to hide my hopper behind the bunker; this also helps me aim down the barrel.

This is more difficult with an offset hopper. If the offset feedneck is on the right like most tippmanns, then it will be completely exposed if I pop out the right side of the bunker (which is actually my preferred side since I'm right handed). I could try to remedy this by exaggerating an inward cant, but that would put me in a very uncomfortable shooting position.
I could limit myself to the left side, but I've already trained myself into muscle memory of canting the gun inwards. If I try to do that with an offset feedneck, paint would have to fight against gravity to feed, not work with it.

With my preferred style of play, an offset feedneck is a complete hindrance.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#32 bth9461

bth9461

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

It's just how I play.
I like to fully utilize my cover by switching hands to shoot from both sides of cover while still keeping a low profile. To further my low profile, I cant the gun in to hide my hopper behind the bunker; this also helps me aim down the barrel.

This is more difficult with an offset hopper. If the offset feedneck is on the right like most tippmanns, then it will be completely exposed if I pop out the right side of the bunker (which is actually my preferred side since I'm right handed). I could try to remedy this by exaggerating an inward cant, but that would put me in a very uncomfortable shooting position.
I could limit myself to the left side, but I've already trained myself into muscle memory of canting the gun inwards. If I try to do that with an offset feedneck, paint would have to fight against gravity to feed, not work with it.

By "Bunker", do you mean inflatables?

#33 Kermit

Kermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Frankly I am very unsure if I would like a electro trigger marker. I have not shot one yet though, but looking at some game video, the electro trigger action looks more like video game playing or key board work. Does not look like a real trigger pull. They don't really look like you are shooting a gun.

Tippmann was a God send for field owners when they introduced the Prolite in the mid 90's.

If you are only going to play Recball and on a partime or even very regular basis, the Tippmann Guns really hold up and will not fail to shoot.

I would agree from the video I have seen, a Speedball gun should be useable in the Woods. They are accurate, lite, and very fast firing all things that would work in any type of game.

Do the electro's break down a lot?

Are the Tippmans really at a disadvantage in accuracy and range?

My only concern is the trigger action (for electro's), purely personal choice.

I hope to play in Mid April and will be using a Tippmann and a borrowed Phantom. I really need to see the New Game up close before I buy anything. Maybe I will buy a Pump or some other semi not sure yet.

That's pretty much why I haven't every owned an electro as a primary marker, I prefer mechanical guns. The trigger pulls are very.....different on electronic markers.

As for electronic guns in the woods, sure. Nothing really against shooting electronics in the woods, I do it all the time and usually prefer it.

#34 Scheele

Scheele

I sell propane and propane accessories.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Why do many of you like center drop necks? I actually like a offset better. Think of it this way. You spend most of your time behind cover right? With an offfset, your hopper has to stick out farther before you can shoot out which makes it harder to avoid getting shot in the hopper. The other thing is that it tends to block off a large chunk of whats directly front-right of you. Try it out yourself. Grab a gun with a right side offset, cyclone or ripclip and line up behind something like you would behind a bunker. Come out with the gun in your right hand, trying to expose as little as possible. The hopper has to come way out for the gun to be clear of your cover.

Do the electro's break down a lot? Generally they need more TLC. They need to be cleaned and lubed more frequently and you have to keep on top of your batteries. Its's usually no more than what most people do for their tippmanns as well. The difference is kinda moot most of the time.

Are the Tippmans really at a disadvantage in accuracy and range? Guns have no bearing on accuracy or range.

Offset feednecks are pointless IMO. I really don't understand why people like them. So far the only reason I hear is so that you can use a sight but seeing as they are more detrimental than helpful, it's not a good excuse either.

"Bunker" usually describes inflatable cover of some kind.
Dirt. Army
Dirt. Apparel: all Canadian made, all dirty as fuck.
Dirt. Apparel Website is up and running. Also check out the Facebook.

#35 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

It's just how I play.

By "Bunker", do you mean inflatables?

inflatables, an old car, a plywood barricade, those tube things in hyperball; All the same to me and all entirely relevant to my dislike of off-set feednecks.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#36 Scheele

Scheele

I sell propane and propane accessories.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Why do many of you like center drop necks? I actually like a offset better. Think of it this way. You spend most of your time behind cover right? With an offfset, your hopper has to stick out farther before you can shoot out which makes it harder to avoid getting shot in the hopper. The other thing is that it tends to block off a large chunk of whats directly front-right of you. Try it out yourself. Grab a gun with a right side offset, cyclone or ripclip and line up behind something like you would behind a bunker. Come out with the gun in your right hand, trying to expose as little as possible. The hopper has to come way out for the gun to be clear of your cover.

Do the electro's break down a lot? Generally they need more TLC. They need to be cleaned and lubed more frequently and you have to keep on top of your batteries. Its's usually no more than what most people do for their tippmanns as well. The difference is kinda moot most of the time.

Are the Tippmans really at a disadvantage in accuracy and range? Guns have no bearing on accuracy or range.

Offset feednecks are pointless IMO. I really don't understand why people like them. So far the only reason I hear is so that you can use a sight but seeing as they are more detrimental than helpful, it's not a good excuse either.

"Bunker" usually describes inflatable cover of some kind. It can also be used as a blanket term for any solid cover.

Edited by Scheele, 29 March 2012 - 04:43 PM.

Dirt. Army
Dirt. Apparel: all Canadian made, all dirty as fuck.
Dirt. Apparel Website is up and running. Also check out the Facebook.

#37 elvis91

elvis91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Offset eh, everyone hates on them because they think one day they will be pro and to like "offset" means your a fool who dosnt switch hands. I dont switch hands that often, so it dosnt botther me but there is so much hate. I own two off set feed markers and love them. i usually wont say it because people flip their shit.

#38 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Offset eh, everyone hates on them because they think one day they will be pro and to like "offset" means your a fool who dosnt switch hands. I dont switch hands that often, so it dosnt botther me but there is so much hate. I own two off set feed markers and love them. i usually wont say it because people flip their shit.

Right, because people can't have an opinion that's different then yours without being a poser Posted Image

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#39 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

1. Offset Hopper ok it kills me inside when i use them
2. I Use A Tank doesn't everyone? kermit is refering to a stock and remote line
3. Kicks Like $hit if "kick" bothers you, you picked the wrong sport... nope it just bugs me because it kicks despite how much meal there is btw i meant vibrates like $hit
4. Loud As Fuck so is any poppet... your point is? g6r, mini, axe and most sear trippers with o rings on the bolt cant even compare
5. Sear Trippers um, yeah... so are azodins and spyders how is that important? at 200$ for an a5 we are entering a basic spool being an ion and a few others
6. Brutal On Paint so is any blowback... it's not just Tippmanns i can shoot rps premium through these were as 98 customs make colerful soup

Posted Image

#40 Hitman2513

Hitman2513

Save a Rock Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

1. Offset Hopper
2. I Use A Tank
3. Kicks Like $hit
4. Loud As Fuck
5. Sear Trippers
6. Brutal On Paint

i personally dont care if its a sear tripper but for 200$ i can buy an electro that is still robust. honestly from my use a mechanical sear tripper is great but an electric sear tripper is horrible because it needs a new battery after a day and also has board problems. my ion is amazing i havent upgraded a thing but the feedneck i broke on the airball field (minor problem)
Posted Image

#41 Cap'n Biff

Cap'n Biff

Lab Ogre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

There's a lot negatives that can be placed at the doorstep of Tippmann for their markers, specifically their blow backs:
  • The design is 20 years old.
  • It's inefficient on air.
  • The receiver is a cast aluminium clamshell design.
  • They use the Cyclone feed system, which tends to be harder on paint than an electronic force-feed hopper.
All absolutely true and valid points. There are also other reasons for not liking Tippmann markers, as have been mentioned in this thread, but I'm a little less sanguine about giving too much weight to them, and they are almost all based on opinion and preference. Things like:
  • They're heavy. Really muffin? That's what slings are for.
  • They're loud. So what, not everyone wants to be a velveteen ninja. When I open up with my Phenom, I am the freakin' wrath of God.
  • They're ugly. :mellow: Seriously? That's the reason why some of you think Tippmann's are "bad"?
  • They have lots of useless upgrades. Yeah, not like custom anodizing that adds $150 to the cost of marker so that it can be all yellow and purple, or grips with naked chicks or movie characters you don't even know on them,or an OLED display that tells you when to lube your marker...
  • They're tacti-cool. As opposed to pajamaball...?

Now, before the hate mail starts flying in, listen up... I'M KIDDING GUYS. I'm just trying to illustrate a point here, not pick a fight. I play milsim AND speedball, and I really like both. The above faux-rant was just to show that there really are a lot of ways to come to this sport/pastime, and it's not a competition to see who gets more fanboys on their side.

Look, Tippmann markers are all those things I mentioned above, and then some. But not everything is supposed to be a high-end $1000+ super marker. I don't care what gets kids to come out and play, whether it's a tacti-cool looking Spyder or a one-of-a-kind super high-end tourney marker, as long as they come out. The best thing the Tippmann markers do is give newcomers an entry level marker that won't require a lot of care or thought to let them play. I see a lot of kids out on weekends having problems getting their Eteks and Minis and other low- to mid-end electros to work properly. Most of the time, the marker is fine, it's the kids that just don't know how to use or maintain the marker properly. If I help them out, it usually takes about 5 minutes and they're good to go, but they needed that 5 minutes of my time. I can count the number of times I've had to do the same for kids with Tippy markers on one hand. Does that make Tippmann 98s or A5s "better"? No, not better, just maybe better in that particular circumstance.

I think of this like driving and car ownership. No new driver who just gets their license should be driving a Vanquish V12. They just wouldn't be able to handle it. Nor an Acura NSX. Hell, not even a late model Mustang. They need a beater to teach them about car ownership and care for the vehicle. Are there some new drivers that could handle a super-car? Sure, but there's a lot more that think they could than there are ones that actually could, and all it takes is one really bad experience to turn them off of driving, maybe forever. Paintball is in a place right now where I don't think we can afford to lose new blood because of a bad experience, be it some douchebag lighting noobs up just for fun, or because someone can't get their marker to work right, even if the problem is their mismanaged expectations. I'd rather have 100 new players start off with A5s, get into the sport and rant about how crappy the markers were 5 years later than have 1 new player get turned off because their G3 had chronic bolt stick and then have them dump their gear and quit.

So, am I wrong?

Paintballs bounce off me like raisins off an Oldsmobile...
My Feedback
Lapco BigShot Assault A5 14"

#42 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

So since I'm not "pro" nor have any desire to be, I must force myself into poor technique as not to seem like a try-hard?

Yeah... I'll get right on that.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#43 bth9461

bth9461

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

There's a lot negatives that can be placed at the doorstep of Tippmann for their markers, specifically their blow backs:

• The design is 20 years old.
  • It's inefficient on air.
  • The receiver is a cast aluminium clamshell design.
  • They use the Cyclone feed system, which tends to be harder on paint than an electronic force-feed hopper.
All absolutely true and valid points. There are also other reasons for not liking Tippmann markers, as have been mentioned in this thread, but I'm a little less sanguine about giving too much weight to them, and they are almost all based on opinion and preference. Things like:
  • They're heavy. Really muffin? That's what slings are for.
  • They're loud. So what, not everyone wants to be a velveteen ninja. When I open up with my Phenom, I am the freakin' wrath of God.
  • They're ugly. :mellow: Seriously? That's the reason why some of you think Tippmann's are "bad"?
  • They have lots of useless upgrades. Yeah, not like custom anodizing that adds $150 to the cost of marker so that it can be all yellow and purple, or grips with naked chicks or movie characters you don't even know on them,or an OLED display that tells you when to lube your marker...
  • They're tacti-cool. As opposed to pajamaball...?

Now, before the hate mail starts flying in, listen up... I'M KIDDING GUYS. I'm just trying to illustrate a point here, not pick a fight. I play milsim AND speedball, and I really like both. The above faux-rant was just to show that there really are a lot of ways to come to this sport/pastime, and it's not a competition to see who gets more fanboys on their side.

Look, Tippmann markers are all those things I mentioned above, and then some. But not everything is supposed to be a high-end $1000+ super marker. I don't care what gets kids to come out and play, whether it's a tacti-cool looking Spyder or a one-of-a-kind super high-end tourney marker, as long as they come out. The best thing the Tippmann markers do is give newcomers an entry level marker that won't require a lot of care or thought to let them play. I see a lot of kids out on weekends having problems getting their Eteks and Minis and other low- to mid-end electros to work properly. Most of the time, the marker is fine, it's the kids that just don't know how to use or maintain the marker properly. If I help them out, it usually takes about 5 minutes and they're good to go, but they needed that 5 minutes of my time. I can count the number of times I've had to do the same for kids with Tippy markers on one hand. Does that make Tippmann 98s or A5s "better"? No, not better, just maybe better in that particular circumstance.

I think of this like driving and car ownership. No new driver who just gets their license should be driving a Vanquish V12. They just wouldn't be able to handle it. Nor an Acura NSX. Hell, not even a late model Mustang. They need a beater to teach them about car ownership and care for the vehicle. Are there some new drivers that could handle a super-car? Sure, but there's a lot more that think they could than there are ones that actually could, and all it takes is one really bad experience to turn them off of driving, maybe forever. Paintball is in a place right now where I don't think we can afford to lose new blood because of a bad experience, be it some douchebag lighting noobs up just for fun, or because someone can't get their marker to work right, even if the problem is their mismanaged expectations. I'd rather have 100 new players start off with A5s, get into the sport and rant about how crappy the markers were 5 years later than have 1 new player get turned off because their G3 had chronic bolt stick and then have them dump their gear and quit.

So, am I wrong?

I don't think you are wrong. Tippmann was one of the best things to happen to Paintball. For 20+ years they gave field operators a tough marker with some preformance to rent to new players and private parties. The semi made paintball so much easier for new players. I had WPG Rangers (Pump-auto trigger) guns to start with as rentals. Most new players would struggle with a pump. Once we upgraded to semi-rental guns, things went so much better for renters on walk-on days and in private parties.

This is where new players come from mostly. Tippmann also gave the field operator a easy gun to direct new players to for their first gun. This is so important. A trouble free gun makes a huge difference to new and young players. I remember when the Spyders first started to show up on the fields, mostly young kids buying from the mass retailers. They ruined many a days play for these kids. As a field operator you need to have confidence in a gun, to recomend it.

Hey as noted many of the new guns have some preformance advantages, but in my opinion, I wonder if a new player would really be able to take advantage of them fully. I really do doubt that the bottom end electro's will be as reliable as a Tippy, in the hands of most new players.

Who ever stops at just one gun, if you choose to stay in the sport. Plenty of time to pick a higher preformance gun to match your play level latter. Plus as you get better you can play above any of the Tippy disadvantages for a while. Then really make a good choice on your next marker. Maybe a Super Gun or a High quality mid range like the Axe.

I really doubt that unless you are a very good player, playing equal or better players, your gun choice will matter that much. Nice to have one that always shoots though when you are starting out. Tippmann's make great guns, as your first gun in my opinion.

Edited by bth9461, 30 March 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#44 bth9461

bth9461

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

6. Brutal On Paint so is any blowback... it's not just Tippmanns i can shoot rps premium through these were as 98 customs make colerful soup

Is RPS Premium cheap paint now? Or is it designed to break easier at long ranges (with slowing FPS), thus being a more delicate paint. I have a older A5 (2003) used it for about 4 years a couple of times a year. I shot about 1000 to 2000 rounds per day. Never really had any paint breakage issues really. Barrel break a few times. The field paint was most likely a RPS not sure of the specific type. But it could have been other brands also. To long ago to remember. I see now many brands seem to have about 5 choices of types of Paint. My Stepson was also using a 98 at the same time, but maybe only 500-800 rounds. It shot just fine.

#45 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Fan boys... Every sport has them, they are the kids/adults that go out and spend a crazy amount of money on an item, thinking it will make them a better _______.

I was a flatland BMX pro, rode all over the country, sponsored by tons of different companies. I rode with the best riders in the world, and could do every trick out there.

Know what, with a tiny bit of practice, I could do all those tricks on ANY BMX bike.

Even that mongoose from wal-mart that cost $100, the bikes today at wal-mart are amazing. Shoot DK bikes are being sold there now for less than $150.

High end flatland bikes cost about the same as high end paintball guns. And the hype is the same... Oh, you gotta have a "light" one, if it is short it will be better. You need a fast steering tube, and zero offset to be good... You have to have THIS brand... Course next year your bike is outdated, and drops in value by a huge degree.

So does the bike make the rider...Ah, NO. Skills are developed with practice. So sorry fan boy, Money doesn't buy practice.

And that is the key. PRACTICE, knowing YOUR gear and learning how it works. The thing that many people miss, is that companies will always bring out the next great thing, and fan boys will buy it, because they think it will make them a better player. Guess what. PRACTICE makes you better, not your gear. If you put a Tippmann A-5 in the hands of any pro out there, they will be able to shoot you out, over and over again. Not because the marker limits them, but because they have MORE practice than you! So it all boils down to what are you going to spend your money on. Paint to practice, or a marker that costs a grand and drops in value faster than a week old lobster dinner.

I bought my first A-5 for $130 used off ebay over 6 years ago... I still use it today, guess what... It is still worth $130.

Posted Image

I got my second A-5 that I let other players borrow for $80... With an All american 2 piece barrel... Guess what it is worth today? More than $80...

I got my third A-5 for $100, it has a j&j barrel, E-trigger, and came with a pod belt (that holds my air tank off my remote line, and I carry 2 pods when I play so it is smaller than your packpack pod carrier with 5 or more pods on it...) Guess what, it is worth about $200.

So I have $310 in 3 A-5's which I can sell for MORE than I paid, every one of them will fire when I pick them up, and I play in severe cold and they ALWAYS work... I take them apart ONCE per season. (that is about 60-100 games worth of playing).

I have broken TWO ratchets (the old style, Tippmann sent me the new black style FOR FREE) in my gun since I got it, and I put in silicone O-rings, not because the old ones were worn out, but because silicone works better in the cold. I don't break paint in my cyclone ever. I rarely break paint in the barrel, because I buy paint that works well in my gun. (empire munitions, or xball scenario). If I do need to take my barrel off, it takes less than a second as the A-5 is made with a quick release barrel adapter, that takes 1/4 turn to release. How long does it take you to remove your barrel?...

I want gear that works, my A-5 is VERY efficient as you can see from my barrel tests, and I am using C02. I can hit players in the head at 150 feet and more consistently and to me... That is the point. You can have your high end guns, I'm the guy rocking the Tippmann's because THEY WORK, and do what I want, so I can spend my money PLAYING and having fun. Oh, and I get about 1,200 shots out of a 20 ounce Co2 tank.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShvIkvO6sjE

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 30 March 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#46 bth9461

bth9461

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I know these new Electro's are different, but technology advances have been in paintball form the time of the first Airsmiths. In say 96/97 when I was running fields more than playing them. The Auto-cocker and Automag were coming into there day in the sun. Some guys had very custom versions of them. $1000 dollar guns. The kids with the rental Prolites (Tippmanns) would cry about the guys with the "machine guns". Well some times we would grab Rentals and go into the field and show them what those old rentals could do in the hands of some old dudes. We were about 34-40 years old then. These were the guys I learned to play paintball with. If even 1,2,or 3 of us entered the game things would change. The Machine Gun guys loved it, even though they would start getting shot up. They got us some also. The play level would increase though. The renters would start to see the gun did not matter that much, and they would actually start playing better.

PS. we always tried to balance the teams by player, some times a Vetern Tippman or Phantom gun did not look that impressive to the Renters though. The Renters many times could not see beyond the fancy Gun Guys though. They always thought it was the gun, never the guy pulling the trigger.

I bet this has not changed, it was there when I returned in 03 with my new A5.

#47 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Kermit is banned?!?!?!?

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#48 elvis91

elvis91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Using right feed is not poor technique, just how u play with one is diffrent.

#49 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Using right feed is not poor technique, just how u play with one is diffrent.

That may be your opinion
To me, exposing more than what's necessary is bad technique, something inherent with left and right feeds.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#50 elvis91

elvis91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

You are correct

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users